Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally's quote of the day.

Started by harrisburghog, September 21, 2017, 08:03:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyForAD

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 12:28:34 pm
I'm not telling you the way it should be; I'm telling you the way it is.

Whether you like or agree with that is irrelevant.

On that, agreeance

ricepig

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 12:32:27 pm
Arkansas had a Billion dollar fundraiser .. just to see if they could.  A BILLION.  They raised it almost instantly.  TAMU saw that and tried it.  I don't think they quite got to a billion.  Cant remember if they made it.  Both schools can afford ...ANYTHING

Well, the Walton's giving $350m for academics isn't the same as aTm raising money for athletics. I think that the money is there/be available, the problem comes with the administration not liking the perception of it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 12:17:14 pm
Are you trying to say that BB's problems are because Petrino got fired?  I can't tolerate nonsense.
Reality = Hatfield failed at Clemson because, in the 80's, Jimmy Johnson showed the world how to stop the wishbone.   After Miami shut us down, and then OU, with speed in the right positions, the few remaining wishbone guys like Hatfield were... toast.  Nothing to do with previous coach.

Reality = BB is not performing as required on the field.  It may change.  It may not.  I don't know why he's failing, but I DO know it has NOTHING to do with the previous coach.  That's nonsense. Absurd. A joke.  Excuse.   Copout.

No I'm not saying that.  Impossible to have a rational conversation here.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgon

Funny how all the people who say we are doing so well financially say we can't or wo t afford this or that.

The numbers as posted from last year show that we have enough excess money to pay off Bielema and his staff in one lump sum without even going in the red for a single year.

WilsonHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 12:33:56 pm
On that, agreeance

And, by the way, I loved Kenny Hatfield as a football coach and a man, and would love for him to be AD. Unfortunately, the job qualifications in this day and age have passed him by, I think.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on September 21, 2017, 12:38:05 pm
Funny how all the people who say we are doing so well financially say we can't or wo t afford this or that.

The numbers as posted from last year show that we have enough excess money to pay off Bielema and his staff in one lump sum without even going in the red for a single year.

Well, they would have to want to make a change. Just because you are ready for a coaching change doesn't mean those who will make the decision and write the check are.

hobhog

Wally made sure to say UofA Fayetteville, but didn't specify where Texas A&M was, so I'm not sure who he is talking about.....

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on September 21, 2017, 12:49:59 pm
Well, they would have to want to make a change. Just because you are ready for a coaching change doesn't mean those who will make the decision and write the check are.

Yeah, it isn't a good look to admit that you screwed up so bad that you have to pay what would be the largest buyout ever paid in college football just to get rid of the most underachieving coach in school history.

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 10:57:21 am
Our program is about the glorification of Jeff Long.  Nothing else.  We are the only school in the South who would let a carpetbagger con-man run roughshod.  That dude isn't a Razorback.  He doesn't care about Arkansas.  He makes decisions according to what's best for Jeff Long, not the UofA. 

Get Ken Hatfield to be AD, or someone like him - who loves us.  Never hire a complete outsider to take over your program.  He'll just skin ya for all your worth and leave you bleeding to death.   Don't blame Long for the terrible state of the program.  He is what he is.  If you buy a stolen Rolex for 100 bucks and later found out you actually bought a 20 dollar fake, don't blame the con man.  Its YOUR fault!   All of you who were fine with hiring an outsider as our AD, the damage being done, however bad it gets... is YOUR fault. 

Arkansas = Ship of Fools who put Gilligan at the helm.
You would have never wanted Saban to come to Arkansas.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 08:26:25 am
Just because you can pay something doesn't mean you want to.

What we have here is a disagreement in the direction of the program between those who make the decisions and those who don't. The latter group just has a public forum on which to vent their frustrations.

That is true but there is a clue in Wally's comment.

13-26 against the SEC and Power 5 says this is not a matter of if Bielema is bought out but when Bielema is bought out.

Wally must think it isn't too far in the future, otherwise he wouldn't be carrying the company line for Long probably in an attempt to get more heads up as to what is really going on.

Redhogs

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 21, 2017, 12:17:14 pm
Are you trying to say that BB's problems are because Petrino got fired?  I can't tolerate nonsense.
Reality = Hatfield failed at Clemson because, in the 80's, Jimmy Johnson showed the world how to stop the wishbone.   After Miami shut us down, and then OU, with speed in the right positions, the few remaining wishbone guys like Hatfield were... toast.  Nothing to do with previous coach.

Reality = BB is not performing as required on the field.  It may change.  It may not.  I don't know why he's failing, but I DO know it has NOTHING to do with the previous coach.  That's nonsense. Absurd. A joke.  Excuse.   Copout.
Correct...the blame game may have worked 4-5 years ago...now just shows stupidity.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jackflash

If I had the money wouldn't pay that kind of buy out

East Clintwood

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 21, 2017, 08:47:35 am
Directed back to the OP...why will those "rich people" gladly pay at the drop of a hat at A&M but it's a taboo thing to consider here?

Because aggies aren't very smart.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ricepig

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 21, 2017, 12:56:12 pm
That is true but there is a clue in Wally's comment.

13-26 against the SEC and Power 5 says this is not a matter of if Bielema is bought out but when Bielema is bought out.

Wally must think it isn't too far in the future, otherwise he wouldn't be carrying the company line for Long probably in an attempt to get more heads up as to what is really going on.

I don't think Wally has the connections of old days, he was one of the ones saying Gundy was hired right before it was announced that Bielema was. Now, he may spouting some other people's agendas, I'm just not sure it's Long's.

lasthog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 21, 2017, 08:08:20 am
It's actually 11 million if you wait till 1/1/18. Poor little old Arkansas. Give me a break.

Tell Wally that UA can do what ever the hell they want to with CBB.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Grag T on September 21, 2017, 10:28:47 am
I've never really understood how dumpster-fire coaches get hired somewhere else anyway.  "Hey look at this guy, he really sucks... let's hire HIM!"  I mean who the hell says that??

Just seems weird.
Desperate, idiot AD's who are doing nothing but rolling the bones on a change.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HotlantaHog

Lots of people talking about how the buyout will be less than the $15 million if it happens.

My question is: Is there any research on this? Can anyone say what has happened the last five or 10 times buyouts have been paid? Did Les Miles take a lesser buyout? Charlie Strong? Tommy Bowden? Houston Nutt at Ole Miss?

Does anyone who is supposing the buyout would be less have any actual tangible real facts? I am not disagreeing, just would like to have the data or reporting that supports the supposition.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jackflash on September 21, 2017, 01:01:48 pm
Dumb thing to say because you will never have that kind of money which means you have no idea what it is like to live a life at that level. If you had $15 million to donate, it means your net worth is probably $50+ million. If you were called on to buy out a coaches contract, you would probably do it or at least pitch in seven figure amount.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hoggie17

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 21, 2017, 08:16:59 am
I disagree. I feel like they wouldn't have agreed to it if they didn't want him to stay and wanted a reason to keep him even if rhebaitustion looke bleak. I think they value the stability in the program right now, for right or wrong.
Stability?  Kentucky,Vanderbilt and Arkansas have the worst records in the SEC over the last few years.  We have the worst record in the SEC West. If setting at the bottom is what Pork Rinds loves, he must beside him self with joy.

What is rhebaitustion? lol

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 21, 2017, 02:26:38 pm
Dumb thing to say because you will never have that kind of money which means you have no idea what it is like to live a life at that level. If you had $15 million to donate, it means your net worth is probably $50+ million. If you were called on to buy out a coaches contract, you would probably do it or at least pitch in seven figure amount.

Again....spending other people's money, lol.

Ex-Trumpet

Wow, misread the thread title, thought it said "Whaley's quote of the day."
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 08:44:21 am
If Bielema makes a bow game, he isn't going anywhere. Even if he only wins 5, they still probably won't fire him.

What does archery have to do with anything?  I'm guessing BB would be pretty good with a bow...grew up in the country, and would definitely have a stable base.   :D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 21, 2017, 02:35:55 pm
Wow, misread the thread title, thought it said "Whaley's quote of the day."
Whatever Whaley's quote of the day was, it was probably muffled and hard to understand.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 21, 2017, 02:26:38 pm

Really?  So you think somoene who has amassed $50M is going to fork over just a little under 1/3rd of it to buy out a contract for a football coach when he's not being negatively impacted by the losing, other than maybe being a little upset and disappointed? 

Wealthy people will watch their favorite team in the whole wide world lose a LOT OF FOOTBALL games before they would give up anywhere NEAR that amount of money just to HOPE someone else could come in and be able to do better. 

I can't put enough of the head shake emoticons on here to describe that level of fail.   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Grag T on September 21, 2017, 09:50:52 am
funny thing is, in this day and age there are probably more people reading this message board than the newspaper.

Probably correct. I have not read a Wally column in 7 or 8 years.  His stuff is old and mundane. The Dem-Gaz needs a new front page sports columnist.

LZH

Wally has had to change a bit of his tactics for the last 20 years. He is still a bloodsucker, but maybe at least he is beginning to ask the right questions.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 21, 2017, 02:48:49 pm
Really?  So you think somoene who has amassed $50M is going to fork over just a little under 1/3rd of it to buy out a contract for a football coach when he's not being negatively impacted by the losing, other than maybe being a little upset and disappointed? 

Wealthy people will watch their favorite team in the whole wide world lose a LOT OF FOOTBALL games before they would give up anywhere NEAR that amount of money just to HOPE someone else could come in and be able to do better. 

I can't put enough of the head shake emoticons on here to describe that level of fail.   ::)

Fact is they do it and I think he said seven figures, that could be 1 mil not 15, which we ain't paying anyway.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jackflash on September 21, 2017, 01:01:48 pm

There is not a "single" person who is going to.

buldozer

Quote from: hawgon on September 21, 2017, 09:02:00 am
The public always makes the decisions in the end.  If they stop going to games, there will be a change.  Long has not seen how angry and then apathetic the Arkansas fanbase can get.  It's starting to look and feel like the early 90s around here.
^^^This^^^ is a fact!

ND

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 12:28:34 pm
I'm not telling you the way it should be; I'm telling you the way it is.

Whether you like or agree with that is irrelevant.

Totally agree.  I think what we're experiencing now is what most other schools have already been experiencing for several years, because they didn't have a former hero football coach as an AD for 50 years.  Our first "CEO" AD has been and will continue to be a shocker for many people, including me, admittedly.

N

rickfahr

I don't claim to know who all the BMD are. I know some of them, obviously, but I have a question.

Understanding the name on the basketball arena, do the Waltons still care about Razorbacks athletics? I mean, they give a ton of money to the university, but I don't see them donating millions to build facilities now.

Am I simply missing that?

As to whether someone can write a check to get Bielema out of town, I'm quite sure the Razorback in Dallas can write whatever checks needs written.

ricepig

Quote from: rickfahr on September 21, 2017, 04:31:19 pm
I don't claim to know who all the BMD are. I know some of them, obviously, but I have a question.

Understanding the name on the basketball arena, do the Waltons still care about Razorbacks athletics? I mean, they give a ton of money to the university, but I don't see them donating millions to build facilities now.

Am I simply missing that?

As to whether someone can write a check to get Bielema out of town, I'm quite sure the Razorback in Dallas can write whatever checks needs written.

Bud Walton donated the money for BWA, his kids have been giving their athletic donations to Mizzou. Bud's daughters and SIL's own sports teams, or did. Sam's kids don't give too much to the athletic department, I think Rob and Arvest have suites, though. As to Jerry, I don't see him telling someone else to fire their coach, he doesn't take to kindly to those telling him to fire his.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quotefrom: PorkRinds on Today at 08:16:59 am
even if rhebaitustion looke bleak.

Quote from: Polecat on September 21, 2017, 08:23:19 am
Not familiar with this. Is that like a mail-in rebate?

Looks more like a sex crime...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hobhog

Quote from: buldozer on September 21, 2017, 03:45:37 pm
^^^This^^^ is a fact!

I thought the last game sold out? Those "apathetic" fans sure don't understand how to show their apathy....

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hobhog on September 21, 2017, 12:50:48 pm
Wally made sure to say UofA Fayetteville, but didn't specify where Texas A&M was, so I'm not sure who he is talking about.....

True. I'm often confused which ASU campus they write about. They never mention ASU, Jonesboro or aTm College Station, TCU, Ft Worth, etc. it's very confusing.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Farmer Hogget

I cannot believe people are still discussing the firing of Bret Beliema at this point.  It is NOT going to happen and it is NOT because the Razorback Foundation cannot afford the buyout!  It is just NOT going to happen.  SO, shut up already!  Find something else to talk about.  God, this is getting very boring already!  An pathetic, actually!

East Clintwood

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 11:29:06 am
The days of hiring former coaches as athletic directors are pretty much over, unless than former coach also has a doctorate, a law degree, or a MBA. It's a "business" position now much more so than an athletic position.

Agreed, but that business person should  understand winning is important, very important.  JL doesn't get that.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on September 21, 2017, 10:26:40 pm
I cannot believe people are still discussing the firing of Bret Beliema at this point.  It is NOT going to happen and it is NOT because the Razorback Foundation cannot afford the buyout!  It is just NOT going to happen.  SO, shut up already!  Find something else to talk about.  God, this is getting very boring already!  An pathetic, actually!

It's never not happened.

There have been 27 "permanent" head football coaches.  None of them was actually permanent.  None lasted 20 years as head coach..  Only one managed to retire.

Assuming CBB coaches at least through the balance of his 5th season only six of those other coaches will have coached more games at Arkansas.  Only three managed to coach a full decade.  Only two managed to survive at least 5 years with a W/L percentage as bad as Bielema's.

Of the six, one retired, one was recalled to the military ultimately to coach again elsewhere, one took a superior job and three took equal or inferior jobs.

This December or next history will repeat itself and a sixth Arkansas coach with 5+ years experience will take another coaching job within days of some form of reduced buyout once again releasing his set of "golden handcuffs."

It's the natural end of the coaching cycle at Arkansas for any coach who makes it 5 years regardless of ability or performance.  It was true even before Arkansas joined the SEC.  The time window is just a bit shorter now than it was in the SWC days.   

jvanhorn

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 21, 2017, 02:29:46 pm
Stability?  Kentucky,Vanderbilt and Arkansas have the worst records in the SEC over the last few years.  We have the worst record in the SEC West. If setting at the bottom is what Pork Rinds loves, he must beside him self with joy.

What is rhebaitustion? lol

Well I don't think Vanderbilt's reputation depends on its football team or any athletic team.  Stoops at Kentucky seems to actually be moving that program in the right direction.

jvanhorn

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 21, 2017, 10:54:45 pm

Agreed, but that business person should  understand winning is important, very important.  JL doesn't get that.

This.  The AD at all great football programs get this, whether it be Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma.  I think even Texas gets it, they just have had a hard time finding the right fit.  They may have this time, we will see.   If they have my personal opinion is it is only a matter of time before they take the Longhorn network, leave the big 12 and become the next Notre Dame, because they certainly see themselves as the chosen ones.  Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will go somewhere and, probably, Kansas because of the basketball program.  God help the rest of them.

Ex-Trumpet

It amazes me how many people have twisted what JL said and actually believe he said that winning isn't important.

But then again many people thought Frank Broyles said that the HUNH wouldn't work in the SEC, so...

Say it loud enough and often enough people will believe it...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Athog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 08:26:25 am
Just because you can pay something doesn't mean you want to.

What we have here is a disagreement in the direction of the program between those who make the decisions and those who don't. The latter group just has a public forum on which to vent their frustrations.

And also only look at one piece of the whole program!

HognotinMemphis

Wally picked the Hogs to win. Kiss of death. A&M wins its 6th in a row against the Hogs.

devildoghawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 21, 2017, 09:47:20 am
I think Arkansas wins Saturday ... That should postpone the buyout talk a bit.

But it's a huge blunder to agree to a buyout that you can't pay if you need to.

Which is ridiculous because Arkansas is a better team than A&M.  A&M might be the only team in the SEC that's worse than us.  Where we are as a program after 5 years is unacceptable, and anyone who is okay with dumping their money into a rapidly declining situation is a fool.  I'll be watching from the tube, and saving my ticket cash for more booze to soak up my despair in how far our program has fallen.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 22, 2017, 07:24:10 am
It amazes me how many people have twisted what JL said and actually believe he said that winning isn't important.

Actions speak louder than words.  I haven't seen anything from Long that indicates winning is extremely important to him.  He gave Bielema his ridiculous buyout after a 6-6 season capped by a win over a terrible team in a bottom tier bowl.

How about if we fire Long and let Bielema see the handwriting on the wall?  He might decide to move along on his own once his sugar daddy is gone.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 22, 2017, 01:48:01 pm
Actions speak louder than words.  I haven't seen anything from Long that indicates winning is extremely important to him.  He gave Bielema his ridiculous buyout after a 6-6 season capped by a win over a terrible team in a bottom tier bowl.

How about if we fire Long and let Bielema see the handwriting on the wall?  He might decide to move along on his own once his sugar daddy is gone.

"we" lol....

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 22, 2017, 01:48:01 pm

When the fans stop coming, a change will be made.  Period.  The "we're not far off," "we're close to playing like Hog fans expect us to play," and all the other rhetoric will fall on deaf ears if he can't produce wins.  It ALWAYS has at Arkansas, and everywhere else for that matter. 

We just have to hope our next hire isn't Orgeron-ish.   :puke:

AirWarren

Our first drive will determine if we win or lose.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 21, 2017, 11:18:27 pm
It's never not happened.

There have been 27 "permanent" head football coaches.  None of them was actually permanent.  None lasted 20 years as head coach..  Only one managed to retire.

Assuming CBB coaches at least through the balance of his 5th season only six of those other coaches will have coached more games at Arkansas.  Only three managed to coach a full decade.  Only two managed to survive at least 5 years with a W/L percentage as bad as Bielema's.

Of the six, one retired, one was recalled to the military ultimately to coach again elsewhere, one took a superior job and three took equal or inferior jobs.

This December or next history will repeat itself and a sixth Arkansas coach with 5+ years experience will take another coaching job within days of some form of reduced buyout once again releasing his set of "golden handcuffs."

It's the natural end of the coaching cycle at Arkansas for any coach who makes it 5 years regardless of ability or performance.  It was true even before Arkansas joined the SEC.  The time window is just a bit shorter now than it was in the SWC days.

At some point, yes, Bret may be fired.  But it will not be this season and, chances are, it won't be next, either.  SO, at this point, all these threads about Bret being fired and about Jeff Long being fired are just a waste of time. 

wildhogman

People discussing wether CBB and JL should be fired and how we can easily afford the buyout remind me of people giving advice on buying a car.
Your old car is only 5 years old, but you financed it for 7 years. So right now you owe more on the car then the blue book says it is worth.  The truth is it wont hold an alignment and keeps chewing up tires every 10,000 miles.  Granted its just the front tires, but still you have to replace 50% of tires every 10K miles.  Its needed two starters because that particular year model used a new style starter with a factory defect they have since discontinued. Doesn't change the fact your stuck with it. So the car is partly a money pit.  Do you bite the bullet and trade it in on a new car and end up paying an extra 5K for it(remember your old car is worth less then your buy out of it) or do you keep chugging along until you pay it off and then get a new one free and clear?  Now think about how multi millionires deal with this. Remember they didn't make all that money by carelessly throwing it away.  Heck the Walton Brothers that built Walmart into what it is continued to wear overalls and drive old pick-up trucks.  Can they buy out CBB?? absolutely.  But my money says they wont toss more money down a hole that hasn't produced yet.  Oil men don't keep drilling a dry hole.  They full fill the contract for drilling the hole and then quietly cap it and slip out of town and on to the next hole.