Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Preseason Practice Starts Today

Started by bphi11ips, July 27, 2017, 09:46:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

We've been so busy dissing or defending the Razorbacks and their head coach I'm not sure anyone has noticed.  Here's a link to a good discussion by Tom Murphy at Whole Hog Sports:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jul/27/5-things-watch-during-arkansas-preseason-camp/

There is definitely reason for optimism as the Hogs enter "Fall Camp".  Seven starters are back on both sides of the ball, including an All-American candidate at center and a fifth year senior QB who threw for 3500 yards last season.  Kicking game should be improved.  There are also key newcomers and non-starters who could make Arkansas the surprise team of the West, maybe even the country:

Brandon Martin - number one Juco wide receiver in 2017 class.  Went through Spring training. At 6'4", 215 and 4.34, the guy is a freak.  Number one Juco WRs have made big impacts in the recent past.

Bijhon Jackson - 4-star plus recruit who has never started a game.  Now's the time.  Change in scheme fits Jackson perfectly.  Austin Capps has his back and will contribute, giving Jackson plays off to catch his breath.  Briston Guidry is going to be a good one, too, in time. 

Randy Ramsey - another player built for the position and scheme.  Bret Bielema seems to have made a real difference in this young man's life.  Could turn out to be one of those under the radar guys like J.J. Watt.

David Williams - 4-star back who didn't do a lot statistically at SC for some reason.  May be a better fit at Arkansas at a position of need.  Could be an Arkansas version of Russell Wilson. 

Da' Jon Harris - Saban wanted this guy bad close to signing day.  Was a crescent wrench in high school, never coming off the field.  Brings athleticism to the middle of the defense that has been missing.

Maleek Wiliams - shows signs of being an underrated back out of high school.  Love his work ethic, which may derive to some extent from his Jamaican heritage.  He moved to the states when he was 5.

Jeremy Patton - another top ranked Juco transfer, this time at TE.  Were it not for the talent on the roster already and his late arrival, Patton would be an obvious choice for this list.  Still, he could have a big impact.   

Dre Greenlaw - Not new, but maybe forgotten.  Overlooked on pre-season All-SEC teams, he should have a chip on his shoulder.  Brings experience and football IQ to complement Harris in the middle.

Who am I missing?  TJ Hammonds?  Other WRs?  Who else might have a break out year?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

revolution

colbs

Great post!  I am interested to see which WRs step up. Michael Smith said it might be his most talented group he's had.  Pettway and Deon Stewart played a little last year but will be counted on this year.  Then you have Jordan Jones who apparently is as fast as Reed was.  Brandon Martin has a ton of potential so I am excited to see what he will do.  Austin mentioned to the coaches that Koilan Jackson has looked good in some of the work they don't together.

I am also interested to see how some of the newcomers like Kameron Curl and Chevin Calloway look in the secondary. 

go hogues

Very informative article.

Thought the paragraph about "fall camp" and the first few games being in the summer was odd, as that's the case every year.

Here's to a productive fall camp with no season ending injuries!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

bphi11ips

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 27, 2017, 10:18:51 am
Devwah

Definitely!  Sort of thought of him as a starter, but he wasn't. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

I am interested to see how the receiving group works with AA. Last year he had his couple of favorites ( and for good reason, they were good ), but they are gone. Will e find one or two guys he is really comfortable with, or will he spread it around more ---- assuming he has time to look and spread it around more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Lord I hope our special teams and kicking is improved. 

MS_HogFan

I think Pulley is gonna be a stud.

I think O'Grady is gonna be a stud.

I think Michael Taylor is gonna be a stud.

SOOIE

hobhog

I am excited and scared at same time. We are really fragile in certain areas and can't afford any more bad luck......

looking forward to seeing who stands out in next couple of weeks. Hoping it's one of the new RB's and Wr's.......

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 27, 2017, 12:37:44 pm

Yeah, I am not sure why anyone would feel like the actual kicking portion of our kicking game should be improved though. We certainly hope so but that is a clear question mark in my mind.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 27, 2017, 03:40:00 pm
Yeah, I am not sure why anyone would feel like the actual kicking portion of our kicking game should be improved though. We certainly hope so but that is a clear question mark in my mind.

Of all the teeth gnashing about scheme, coaching, recruiting, blah blah blah...  the field goal kicking game has cost this program what, 5 wins during Coach B's tenure? 

PLHawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on July 27, 2017, 03:42:05 pm
Of all the teeth gnashing about scheme, coaching, recruiting, blah blah blah...  the field goal kicking game has cost this program what, 5 wins during Coach B's tenure?

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

bennyl08

Quote from: MS_HogFan on July 27, 2017, 03:12:02 pm
I think Pulley is gonna be a stud.

I think O'Grady is gonna be a stud.

I think Michael Taylor is gonna be a stud.

Taylor is tailor made to be a stud OLB rushing the passer, but for some reason, he is adamant that he plays with his hand on the ground. IMO, that wastes his talent of rushing the passer by instead opting to just try and eat up blocks so that a LB can rush the passer.

O'Grady has stud potential as well, but we'll see who comes out on top of him vs Patton who has a similar skill set. Either way, the razorbacks win because both are very good.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 27, 2017, 09:46:04 am

Who am I missing?  TJ Hammonds?  Other WRs?  Who else might have a break out year?

TJ Hammonds: IMO he'll be a 5 touches per game give or take player in a Percy Harvin type of role.

TJ Smith on defense is going to turn some heads. He is explosive and strong, but was never going to reach his potential in the 4-3 as he was a tweener. However, as a 3-4 end, he is ideally suited.

Also, it's De'Jon not Da'Jon. Also, IIRC he did start some, but could definitely be misremembering. Guy was rated as well at LB as Ragnow was at center last year by PFF, his HS tape was phenomenal, highly recruited, and highly productive. He will be a stud and I can only hope he stays here 4 years but doubt it.

Kyrie Fisher on defense is ideal for a 3-4 OLB. He played that position in HS and showed talent covering on pass plays as well as pass rushing which is needed. Doubt he starts early on in the season, but will certainly feature in the rotation. Look for AJB, LaFrance, and Gabe Richardson to make some impacts at LB as well.

Gunter at TE seems to be overlooked. He is one the coaches have been raving about despite virtually everybody else at the position being older and more experienced. He proved to be too useful to redshirt last year as well. With the excitement of Patton coming in and the continued development of Cantrell and O'Grady, don't sleep on Grayson.

Jones, Stewart, and Pettway all also deserve a mention at WR as well. Cornelius and Martin should be the top 2 guys this year. However, these guys should all make an impact as well. Pettway is like a big bodied Jarius Wright with crisp clean routes, reliable hands, and good speed. Not a ton of wiggle, just run the route, catch the ball, and get up field. Stewart will be our wiggle guy and has been at or near the top the depth chart this offseason behind Cornelius and battling with Martin. He is small, but fast and very Joe Adams esque. Last, but certainly not least is Jordan Jones coming into his redshirt freshmen season. While Martin is listed as a sub 4.4 guy, I don't buy that for a second watching his tape. That's like Mallett being listed as a 4.8 guy coming out of HS by some places but really being more of a 5.3. I guess that Martin is more of a 4.5 guy which is still very good at his size and puts him among the likes of a Brandon Marshall, Demarius Thomas type of player. Jordan Jones though may not be sub 4.40 forty time either, but he is probably low 4.4's and has been routinely listed as our fastest receiver, rivaling Reed even. Beyond being fast, he has good size, and can high point the ball. His HS tape reminded me a lot of Amari Cooper. Not as flashy as a Julio or an AJ Green, but still a high caliber player. He was somebody that Bama put on the full press for as well.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 27, 2017, 04:12:55 pm
Taylor is tailor made to be a stud OLB rushing the passer, but for some reason, he is adamant that he plays with his hand on the ground. IMO, that wastes his talent of rushing the passer by instead opting to just try and eat up blocks so that a LB can rush the passer.

O'Grady has stud potential as well, but we'll see who comes out on top of him vs Patton who has a similar skill set. Either way, the razorbacks win because both are very good.

I understand your point for sure, but Michael is an outstanding pass rusher.  After talking with Michael and his father, he rooms with my son, it was determined that utilizing his speed against a tackle and having him 3 yards closer to the QB at the snap was a better fit for him.

As far as O'Grady, I've known him since he was a sophomore in high school.  As Mike Irwin mentioned in a great article last week, Cheyenne (CJ) looks like he's finally grown up.  He's got better size and steength, but mentally he's nothing like he was this time last year.   Patton is a freakish athlete as well.  They could put Patton, O'Grady, and Cantrell on the field and go power or spread them out.  You are absolutely right, the Razorbacks win beacisue they are all very good.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

phadedhawg

Always anxious when preseason practice starts.  Seems like we always lose someone key to an injury. 

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I look for good things outta J Bell this year. He's where he needs to be to shine IMHO.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 04:51:46 pm
I understand your point for sure, but Michael is an outstanding pass rusher.  After talking with Michael and his father, he rooms with my son, it was determined that utilizing his speed against a tackle and having him 3 yards closer to the QB at the snap was a better fit for him.

As far as O'Grady, I've known him since he was a sophomore in high school.  As Mike Irwin mentioned in a great article last week, Cheyenne (CJ) looks like he's finally grown up.  He's got better size and steength, but mentally he's nothing like he was this time last year.   Patton is a freakish athlete as well.  They could put Patton, O'Grady, and Cantrell on the field and go power or spread them out.  You are absolutely right, the Razorbacks win beacisue they are all very good.

I guess it begs the question with Taylor of what type of 3-4 will we actually be using? Often times, the DE isn't allowed to rush the QB. Hence my disappointment of him being a DE instead of a OLB.

Will we be using a more aggressive style of 3-4 that doesn't punish the DL for getting penetration rather than eating blocks? That actually encourages them to get penetration? I'd like to see that because it would be a waste to have guys like Agim, Taylor, and Smith being told to only eat up blocks and chewed out of they didn't.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 27, 2017, 05:18:49 pm
I guess it begs the question with Taylor of what type of 3-4 will we actually be using? Often times, the DE isn't allowed to rush the QB. Hence my disappointment of him being a DE instead of a OLB.

Will we be using a more aggressive style of 3-4 that doesn't punish the DL for getting penetration rather than eating blocks? That actually encourages them to get penetration? I'd like to see that because it would be a waste to have guys like Agim, Taylor, and Smith being told to only eat up blocks and chewed out of they didn't.

I think that we will all see a wide variety of fronts.  Probably 9-11 guys rotating in at the 3 DL spots.  Michael will definitely be in the 3rd/Long scheme.  You may even see Sosa in the middle in those situations.   As far as stuffing the run, Capps and Bijohn in the middle with Sosa and Guidry at the ends may be how they start out.  As I said, there are a lot of bodies that we should see rotated in.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

daBoar

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 27, 2017, 04:12:55 pm
How do you know this stuff.

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 05:23:43 pm
I think that we will all see a wide variety of fronts.  Probably 9-11 guys rotating in at the 3 DL spots.  Michael will definitely be in the 3rd/Long scheme.  You may even see Sosa in the middle in those situations.   As far as stuffing the run, Capps and Bijohn in the middle with Sosa and Guidry at the ends may be how they start out.  As I said, there are a lot of bodies that we should see rotated in.

Cool news.

Noticed your son is 5 pounds lighter on this year's roster from last year. While many of the OL players did lose some weight for this season, at 272, I'm guessing that wasn't the plan for Cooper if he's staying at OL. Are coaches talking about trying him at TE or some other position?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 27, 2017, 05:27:20 pm
Cool news.

Noticed your son is 5 pounds lighter on this year's roster from last year. While many of the OL players did lose some weight for this season, at 272, I'm guessing that wasn't the plan for Cooper if he's staying at OL. Are coaches talking about trying him at TE or some other position?

We were as shocked as anyone by his weight on the roster.  Possibly a typo. When you're that big your weight fluctuates from day to day, but he hasn't been 272 for a while.  He was 277 last year.  He's 10-15 lbs heavier than posted, depending on the day.

bennyl08

Quote from: daBoar on July 27, 2017, 05:24:46 pm
How do you know this stuff.

Well, his HS tape showed a high level of athleticism that has been echoed by the coaching staff and those who have seen practices.

Bielema talked about in the offseason this year that they tried to have Taylor at OLB, but how he was much more comfortable with his hand in the ground and committed here to play DE when we still were in the 4-3. Thus, Bielema talked about allowing him to go back to being a DE instead of an OLB.

What I don't know is what style of defense we will actually play. Coaches have talked up being multiple, but with such a dramatic shift in what we are schematically doing, I am skeptical that we will be able to do this. Typically you can be a jack of all or a master of one but not both. The Bufallo Bills had a defense littered with all-pro and pro bowl talent change to a 3-4 recently under Rex Ryan and the defense collapsed. After Ryan was fired, it was talked about how the schemes were too complex for many of the players, and this coming from somebody who's spent something like 7 or 8 seasons in the NFL with a very good career up to then.

Good news here is that Rhoads is not Rex Ryan. Very good news in fact. Further, I think that we have some very good talented players on defense so that no matter what the scheme is, we should be improved on that side of the ball, and that overall, our current defensive roster does fit better in the 3-4 than the 4-3. However, I am still nervous about the implementation of the scheme and how well we will execute it. Worst case IMO is that we still see improvement over last year, with more athletic and better talent on defense playing well in spite of any scheme errors. Best case is that we hired some of the same people that helped OU transition rather seamlessly from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and we will transition seamlessly as well and will be coupling the top talent we have with a good scheme. I genuinely believe that we have blue chip players leading each level of the defense in Agim, Harris, and Pulley with other NFL talent as well.

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 05:41:39 pm
We were as shocked as anyone by his weight on the roster.  Possibly a typo. When you're that big your weight fluctuates from day to day, but he hasn't been 272 for a while.  He was 277 last year.  He's 10-15 lbs heavier than posted, depending on the day.

Good news.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 27, 2017, 05:45:30 pm
Good news.
I always caution folks about the posted weights, especially on big guys.  Their weight can fluctuate 5-10lbs from morning to evening depending exercise level and diet. Morning weights are always a lot lower.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Mike Irwin

Will Gragg looked good today catching the ball.

Maleek Williams looks like a junior. He was running routes with the receivers and was as good as any of them. Nice hands. Good moves off the LOS.

Ty Storey a clear No. 2 at QB today. He has improved his passing mechanics a lot. Was very accurate while we were watching.

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 27, 2017, 06:40:29 pm
Look out for Jeremy Patton.

Dude is bigger than I thought, hopefully he gets the offense down these 5 weeks.

oldfart

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 27, 2017, 06:44:53 pm

Maleek Williams looks like a junior. He was running routes with the receivers and was as good as any of them. Nice hands. Good moves off the LOS.

Ty Storey a clear No. 2 at QB today. He has improved his passing mechanics a lot. Was very accurate while we were watching.

thanks mike.. always appreciate your comments

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 27, 2017, 06:40:29 pm
Look out for Jeremy Patton.

Quote from: ricepig on July 27, 2017, 06:48:21 pm
Dude is bigger than I thought, hopefully he gets the offense down these 5 weeks.

more ... More ... MORE!!

AirWarren

Ready to see maleek get his first carry.

supersaint

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 06:35:31 pm
I always caution folks about the posted weights, especially on big guys.  Their weight can fluctuate 5-10lbs from morning to evening depending exercise level and diet. Morning weights are always a lot lower.

They used to weigh us before and after every practice, especially during two a days.  If a player lost more than ten pounds between any weigh ins, they might be held out of practice if they didn't gain enough of it. Ack by the next weigh in.  The most I ever lost in one day was eleven pounds.  That was the difference between my weight at the start of the morning practice and the end of the afternoon practice.  I was up gen pounds the next morning so I didn't have to sit out.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Otis

Was it Maleek Williams or Maleek Barclay at receiver? Lots of Maleek's

AirWarren

Quote from: Otis on July 27, 2017, 07:51:18 pm

Maleek Williams is the running back.

bphi11ips

The good news is we have a lot of talent no one has heard of ... yet.

AirWarren

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 27, 2017, 09:27:56 pm
The good news is we have a lot of talent no one has heard of ... yet.

Here's hoping it pans out. And our offensive line is better and our defense can play.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 06:35:31 pm

I have a friend that was the former tackle for the Saints.  He told me that he would lose over 10 pounds per practice.  The Saints weighed him before and after practice, and he could not leave until he drank a specified amount of liquids depending on how much weight he lost in practice.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Otis on July 27, 2017, 07:51:18 pm

Barkely

nwahogfan1

Does the LBers look athletic enough to tackle and cover all those fast WRs in space?

JIHawg

I wish we were taking about safeties.

bphi11ips

Quote from: JIHawg on July 27, 2017, 10:48:34 pm
I wish we were taking about safeties.

They are all returning starters.  This thread is about possible impact players who aren't returning starters.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 27, 2017, 10:55:43 pm
They are all returning starters.  This thread is about possible impact players who aren't returning starters.

I think that was the point......Wish we were talking about safeties........

JIHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 27, 2017, 10:55:43 pm

I guess I meant to say wish there were some impact players not returning starters being talked about at safety.

Sapperhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 27, 2017, 12:37:44 pm

Sweet Baby Jesus, let this be the case.

bphi11ips

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on July 27, 2017, 11:05:49 pm
I think that was the point......Wish we were talking about safeties........

I get it, but the players there are pretty firmly established.  Montaric Brown should be a great player for Arkansas - but probably not this year.  The point I was trying to make in the OP is that we have quite a few upper classmen who haven't started or played a lot of snaps who could have an All-SEC type impact.  Maleek Williams is the only freshman I mentioned, and that's based primarily on the fact that he went through Spring, drew rave reviews, and is physically further developed than most true freshmen.

I think we'll be better at safety than most believe.  Pass defense was not the problem last year.  The front 7 frequently put safeties in tough spots for run support.  Safeties need to tackle better in space and avoid senseless penalties.  Experience should help in those areas.

Al Boarland

Love these best case scenario type threads. There was a good one on SEC Country that I read earlier.

daBoar

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 27, 2017, 11:38:14 pm
I get it, but the players there are pretty firmly established.  Montaric Brown should be a great player for Arkansas - but probably not this year.  The point I was trying to make in the OP is that we have quite a few upper classmen who haven't started or played a lot of snaps who could have an All-SEC type impact.  Maleek Williams is the only freshman I mentioned, and that's based primarily on the fact that he went through Spring, drew rave reviews, and is physically further developed than most true freshmen.

I think we'll be better at safety than most believe.  Pass defense was not the problem last year.  The front 7 frequently put safeties in tough spots for run support.  Safeties need to tackle better in space and avoid senseless penalties.  Experience should help in those areas.
Front 7......all this time I thought we played with 10 guys on defense last year.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: East TN HAWG on July 27, 2017, 09:51:54 pm
I have a friend that was the former tackle for the Saints.  He told me that he would lose over 10 pounds per practice.  The Saints weighed him before and after practice, and he could not leave until he drank a specified amount of liquids depending on how much weight he lost in practice.
They do the same.  The 10lb fluctuation I talked about above wasn't even referring to practice.  On a normal day they will drop and fall weight wise.