Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which side of the ball do you want to see the most improvement? Offense or Def?

Started by Ben, May 18, 2017, 01:21:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Improvement on any side is crucial and wanted. But where do you want to see the most improvement? Offense or Defense?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Only problem I saw with the offense last year was stalling out in the endzone. Defense has many more issues that must be addressed. Heck, special teams needs more improvement than the offense
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bennyl08

Offense just needs the average amount of improvement that one should expect to see for players going from their first year of major action/starting into the second.

Defense needs improvement beyond just that which could come in the form of a different teacher and scheme.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigE_23

Let's see - last season we averaged 30.3 ppg on offense while giving up 31.1 ppg on defense - so I think it's pretty obvious. We have to shore up that defense first and foremost.

Calling All Hogs

Defense. I don't recall ever seeing a team that put less pressure on the opposing QB than the Hogs last year.

The Kig

Defense, defense, defense... easiest question ever put to Hogville.  We were atrocious, awful, terrible, non-existent, and any other adjective that means bad you can think of the last couple of years... and it is the one area where even a modest level of improvement will yield substantial overall improvement. 
Poker Porker

Wildhog

Considering our defense was historically bad last year (record-setting bad), I'll go defense.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

The closer this season gets the more of a disaster I'm expecting.  The RWIII injury made a position of strength into a position of weakness.  I'm afraid we are going to have to be a passing team and we have one proven receiver.  The line better be improving pass pro or we are in trouble no matter what the defense does.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2017, 01:57:09 pm
The closer this season gets the more of a disaster I'm expecting.  The RWIII injury made a position of strength into a position of weakness.  I'm afraid we are going to have to be a passing team and we have one proven receiver.  The line better be improving pass pro or we are in trouble no matter what the defense does.

If we can't stop anybody it doesn't matter how good the offense is.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on May 19, 2017, 01:58:13 pm
If we can't stop anybody it doesn't matter how good the offense is.

I mean, not really. I'm expecting the defense to suck.  If our offense sucks too it could go from mediocre to god awful in a hurry!

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2017, 01:59:20 pm
I mean, not really. I'm expecting the defense to suck.  If our offense sucks too it could go from mediocre to god awful in a hurry!

So glad we're having this discussion in year five. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on May 19, 2017, 02:01:04 pm
So glad we're having this discussion in year five.

Hey maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. But I'm not counting on it.  I'm like anakin at this point. Just waiting for an excuse to go to the dark side.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2017, 02:02:52 pm
Hey maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. But I'm not counting on it.  I'm like anakin at this point. Just waiting for an excuse to go to the dark side.

Come on in... the water is fine!

1909/1964/1965/1977

yocdaddy

I am a 5'11 215lb 42 year old that could have gained 5 yards per carry because of our scheme.  And, I'm not exactly elusive  ;D

The defense better improve in a hurry.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Pudgepork

Defense.   If memory is correct, ole miss and tcu were the only 2 games that Hogs showed a D.  Perhaps Miss Stake also

jgphillips3

Defense.  Our offense is already very good.  Significant defensive improvement would move us into possibilities of double digit wins and New Year's Day bowls and such.

runninhog

Defense needs the most help, but I don't think we're going to be any better. LB scares the hell out of me.
So, I'll go with something simple....better pass blocking on the OL. We're going to need to score a lot of points.

PonderinHog

theFlyingHog

An OP like this makes me feel like there is collusion to drive posts and clicks. How anyone could watch last year's team and ask a question like that blows my

nchogg

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on May 19, 2017, 12:22:56 pm
Defense. I don't recall ever seeing a team that put less pressure on the opposing QB than the Hogs last year.
I said that so many times while watching our games last year.

LZH

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 18, 2017, 01:50:24 pm
Let's see - last season we averaged 30.3 ppg on offense while giving up 31.1 ppg on defense

Fire Enos!.....he's underachieving!  >:(

nwahogfan1

Defense definitely and by a bunch.. I want to get our defense to only give up less than 25 ppg. Especially in SEC games.  If we do this then we have a shot at lots of 8+ win seasons.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

GoHogs1091

Here is all that I am wanting to see this season.

Better Special Teams play.
Better coaching (especially from the Head Coach and hopefully from the new Defensive Line Coach).
Better Defensive Line play and better Linebacker play.
Better overall Offensive Line run blocking.

Is the above too much to ask for?

Pigsknuckles

Haven't seen an Arkansas defense since the 2014 Texas Bowl. If one were to show up, I would have to check my ticket stub to see if I was at the right game.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

rlamb

Go Hogs, if the Hogs had performed those 4 "hoped for improvement" areas at least to
the 25% level, we would have been 9-4 or 10-3?

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Bacons Rebellion

This is one of those "gimme" questions to raise the class average, right?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 25, 2017, 06:48:20 am
No Hogville Poster Left Behind!

hogsanity

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 25, 2017, 06:48:20 am

You'd think, but at some point someone will say offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Vantage 8 dude

Absolutely no doubt it would be the defense. While the offense at times hasn't been the most consistent, for the past five years or so the defense has been very much our achilles heel. Haven't been able to put enough points on the board no matter how hard we've tried in so many games.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Pudgepork on May 19, 2017, 02:17:57 pm
Defense.   If memory is correct, ole miss and tcu were the only 2 games that Hogs showed a D.  Perhaps Miss Stake also

MSU-- we showed a D in one quarter, which was the difference in the game.

UF--We showed a D.

Zirc

Pig In The City

Our issues have been the offense unable to produce in the second half.  That makes the defense look worse than it actually is.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pig In The City on May 28, 2017, 08:57:04 am
Our issues have been the offense unable to produce in the second half.  That makes the defense look worse than it actually is.
There is definitely some truth to this, but because we put "x" number of points on the board in the first half, most only see the defensive deficiencies which are plentiful. The defense will make the most improvement because the talent level is improved. The offensive line has to improve its run blocking greatly and I believe they will. We also need the QB from games 1-6 and not the QB from games 7-13!

So the real answer to the OP is both!

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

tophawg19

i think the one that could help most is special teams . add 10 yards to kick and punt returns and the offense gets a short field to work with . put the kick off's in the end zone and better punt coverage and the defense gets better because it can give up more yards without scores . which means they can gamble and blitz more.  A dependable FG unit changes the offensive play calling especially from 40 in. you can try big plays knowing if it doesn't work, you are still good for 3 .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: runninhog on May 19, 2017, 04:56:33 pm
Defense needs the most help, but I don't think we're going to be any better. LB scares the hell out of me.
So, I'll go with something simple....better pass blocking on the OL. We're going to need to score a lot of points.

I don't understand how anyone can be scared of any specific position with the change to a 3-4 scheme. It really isn't rocket science. It's far easier for players to understand and perform. Y'all are in for a big surprise...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mike_e

I'd say the left side.  Left guard and tackle.

I'd really like to see our QB unbroken through out the year.

As far as the D goes I'd be willing to bet $5000 or your dollars that we drop down into the 350- 375 ypg range over the season and 27 or so ppg.  There is a Huge difference between playing not to lose and playing to win.  CPR is going to turn those boys into winners.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Pork Twain

Defense...  If they improve and the offense is relatively the same, we will win a lot of games this year.  I think the offense started playing too tight last year, because they knew that thanks to Coach Klien, the defense was not going to stop anyone after halftime and they would need to score on every drive to give us a chance.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/