Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Lunardi Way Too Early Bracketology - Arkansas 11-Seed

Started by RME, April 04, 2017, 06:18:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology?sf67908098=1

Arkansas at an 11-seed play in game vs. St. Bonaventura, part of the Last 4 In. Winner would play Baylor, and that victor would play winner of UNC/Charleston (how poetic).

Other SEC teams:
Florida - 1
Kentucky - 2
Vandy - 8
South Carolina - 10
Alabama - 10

With what we've got coming back and what we've got coming in, I'm thinking surely better than Last 4 In...right?

azhog10

Mike has fairly consistently over achieved. We weren't projected at all for this season correct?

ShadowHawg

Vanderbilt is going miss Kornett a ton. He made defenses honor his outside shooting which opened driving lanes up for penetrate and kick. He also was huge on defense altering shots which allowed allowed them to pressure heard on the perimeter.

SC is replacing more than we  are and bringing in less.

Most preseason rankings aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daBoar

If Barford, Macon, and Thomas return (a lot of returning experience), along with the newcomers, that's potentially a pretty salty group.

I suspect MA is smiling.

WorfHog

hogwood

Quote from: azhog10 on April 04, 2017, 06:42:00 pm
Mike has fairly consistently over achieved. We weren't projected at all for this season correct?

I think Lunardi actually did have us in this past "way too early" one.

hogwood

Ok, I wasn't going to look at the link but I did - and WTFFF. He has us potentially playing in the 2nd round vs. NORTH CAROLINA!

And Florida is a 1 seed? Why?

PORKULATOR

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 04, 2017, 06:49:11 pm
Vanderbilt is going miss Kornett a ton. He made defenses honor his outside shooting which opened driving lanes up for penetrate and kick. He also was huge on defense altering shots which allowed allowed them to pressure heard on the perimeter.

SC is replacing more than we  are and bringing in less.

Most preseason rankings aren't worth the paper they are written on.
You pay attention. Good post.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I'll take it. Just stay away from the 8/9 seed PLEASE!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

In early November he did, but he didn't in his bracket prediction right after the tourney last year.

The_Iceman

South Carolina won't make the tournament next year.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 08:57:08 am

Careful, when I said that last week I was told that I was just " at it again " and " down playing the SEC to make Mike look bad".  They might make it, who knows, but the road is going to be tough considering what they are losing. Yes, they have some talent coming back, and will have some new talent, but they are losing their leader, who at times just put them on his back for long stretches this year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

macon and barford just really are not getting any respect or people believe they will not be back i am not sure which.

I mean SR guards 3 of them, all very skilled usually gets you preseason hype not lose it.  SC will lose almost their entire squad same for Vandy.  /shrug

I like our team next year if all return and we avoid injuries i think we will be safetly in the dance and hopefully not paired against UNC in the 2nd round for the umpteenth time.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on April 05, 2017, 10:48:45 am
macon and barford just really are not getting any respect or people believe they will not be back i am not sure which.

I mean SR guards 3 of them, all very skilled usually gets you preseason hype not lose it.  SC will lose almost their entire squad same for Vandy.  /shrug

I like our team next year if all return and we avoid injuries i think we will be safetly in the dance and hopefully not paired against UNC in the 2nd round for the umpteenth time.

I do not think it is those 2 not getting respect as much as it is losing a guy like Moses, plus a scorer like Hannahs, and not having a good read on who will fill those roles.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 11:01:31 am
I do not think it is those 2 not getting respect as much as it is losing a guy like Moses, plus a scorer like Hannahs, and not having a good read on who will fill those roles.

eh i think you can get a pretty good read on the replacements i mean a borderline 5 star big, and 2 wings are coming in to go with the 3 sr guards and bench reserves that screams complete team to me barring injury and if highly rated recruits work out.

I mean if our recruiting class was a bunch of 2 and 3 stars sure but i believe "most" people would think Gafford is going to be good.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on April 05, 2017, 11:03:54 am
eh i think you can get a pretty good read on the replacements i mean a borderline 5 star big, and 2 wings are coming in to go with the 3 sr guards and bench reserves that screams complete team to me barring injury and if highly rated recruits work out.

I mean if our recruiting class was a bunch of 2 and 3 stars sure but i believe "most" people would think Gafford is going to be good.

They may be highly rated but no one knows how a guy will adjust to college until they see him. Plus, it does seem to take newcomers a while to find they way in Mike's system ( it took Barford and Macon over half a season ). Throw in a tougher non-conf schedule with the games in the tournament they are in, and a improving SEC ( according to some ), and it is not hard to see this team again being on the bubble. However, if the newcomers adjust quickly, it is not hard to see them as a 5-7 seed either.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 11:08:49 am
They may be highly rated but no one knows how a guy will adjust to college until they see him. Plus, it does seem to take newcomers a while to find they way in Mike's system ( it took Barford and Macon over half a season ). Throw in a tougher non-conf schedule with the games in the tournament they are in, and a improving SEC ( according to some ), and it is not hard to see this team again being on the bubble. However, if the newcomers adjust quickly, it is not hard to see them as a 5-7 seed either.

and certain teams will always get the benefit of the doubt.  You get a Kentucky or UNC with a recruiting class of 3 4 star players and they are all considered 1 and done'rs, but ours ? eh they will take some time to adjust...

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on April 05, 2017, 11:10:21 am
and certain teams will always get the benefit of the doubt.  You get a Kentucky or UNC with a recruiting class of 3 4 star players and they are all considered 1 and done'rs, but ours ? eh they will take some time to adjust...

I am not concerned about yet another perceived swipe at the Hogs, I know what we have seen with our own eyes, and it takes new guys a while to adjust to Mike's system. Barford and Macon were at the top of the juco class, and it still took them well into sec play to finally start consistently being what they were thought to be.

And, as advertised it is a much too soon look at next years tourney, basically done just to drive talk, because most teams are going to look different than how they ended the season just finished.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 11:15:15 am
I am not concerned about yet another perceived swipe at the Hogs, I know what we have seen with our own eyes, and it takes new guys a while to adjust to Mike's system. Barford and Macon were at the top of the juco class, and it still took them well into sec play to finally start consistently being what they were thought to be.

And, as advertised it is a much too soon look at next years tourney, basically done just to drive talk, because most teams are going to look different than how they ended the season just finished.

I get that, but in this case i cannot avoid seeing it.  I mean what does Vandy (1 4 star 2 3 star) have coming in in the way of freshman class? SoCar (1 4 star 3 3star)?  yet each of them is projected higher and they are losing just as much or more.

There is bias, or rather more likely is that people pundits do not believe in the Hogs which i get.

Hawg Red

I think projecting the Hogs as an 11 seed at this juncture is fair. Previous 8 seed that advanced one round loses 3 key seniors. I get it. Personally, I'd project the Hogs higher than South Carolina, but they're coming off a strong Final 4 showing and could have two All-SEC players back. Not going to split hairs at this point. He's basically saying they're both bubble-ish teams, so borderline tournament teams. I agree with that at this point because we can only project based on assumed returning/incoming talent and that's all it's based on. We don't even know schedules yet.

He's putting a lot of weight into the incoming talent for Alabama, so I get that, too. They didn't really lose anyone too crucial. 4/5 top scorers returning + a 5-star, high 4-star and another top 100 4-star.

Now....Vanderbilt losing Luke Kornet and Nolan Cressler and replacing them with the 8th ranked SEC recruiting class. And they're an 8? Don't see it. They are going to take a step back because Kornet was a huge part of their success. Unique player. Vanderbilt should be an 11, probably. If that. I wouldn't project them as a tournament team right now.

redleg

Lunardi is right about half of the time.....which means he's no better at picking these things than almost everyone else.
Besides, it's stupid and pointless to try and pick this stuff now, just after THIS year's national championship game was played. Way too many factors that can happen between now and eleven months from now.
::)
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 11:08:49 am

Tougher schedule should help move us off the bubble even with fewer wins. Key word should.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on April 05, 2017, 11:24:42 am
I get that, but in this case i cannot avoid seeing it.  I mean what does Vandy (1 4 star 2 3 star) have coming in in the way of freshman class? SoCar (1 4 star 3 3star)?  yet each of them is projected higher and they are losing just as much or more.

There is bias, or rather more likely is that people pundits do not believe in the Hogs which i get.

Why would he be biased for Vandy or SC? SC had not made the NCAAt in a decade, and Vandy did what Vandy always does, played enough tough OOC games to get a bid they probably did not deserve.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 05, 2017, 01:05:48 pm
Tougher schedule should help move us off the bubble even with fewer wins. Key word should.

Providing they win some of them. I don't think they can go 8-5 in the ooc then 12-6 in the sec and get in with just 20 wins unless some of those 8 ooc wins are against the "good" teams. Of course if they win some of those they wont go 8-5 in ooc game, it'd be more like 10-3.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 01:18:29 pm
Why would he be biased for Vandy or SC? SC had not made the NCAAt in a decade, and Vandy did what Vandy always does, played enough tough OOC games to get a bid they probably did not deserve.

for Vandy because oddly enough in basketball Vandy seems to always get the benefit of the doubt. and SC because they are "so hot right now" even though their two best players will likely be in the D league or overseas next year.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 01:20:03 pm
Providing they win some of them. I don't think they can go 8-5 in the ooc then 12-6 in the sec and get in with just 20 wins unless some of those 8 ooc wins are against the "good" teams. Of course if they win some of those they wont go 8-5 in ooc game, it'd be more like 10-3.

VANDERBILT............two years straight

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 311Hog on April 05, 2017, 11:24:42 am

I think it's more like these guys don't do their homework with regards to the roster changes among the teams they pick.

The_Iceman

hogsanity

IIRC, about this time last year didn't Lunardi have the Hogs as a 9 or 10 seed?

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 06, 2017, 09:03:59 am

dunno but if i had to guess it was on the back of the Kingsley pre season POY hype with a good group of JC talent coming in.

Things almost never work out how you expect.  It wouldn't surprise me if the craziest scenario played out.  Something like Macon goes pro, Gafford comes in and is absolutely dominant, and Beard steps up and plays like All SEC guard. Hogs IMHO are most unpredictable team ever. Lose to teams they should never and beat teams you wouldn't believe.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on April 06, 2017, 09:03:59 am
I don't think so. We weren't in until early November when he had us as "Last four in".

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on April 06, 2017, 10:04:34 am
dunno but if i had to guess it was on the back of the Kingsley pre season POY hype with a good group of JC talent coming in.

Things almost never work out how you expect.  It wouldn't surprise me if the craziest scenario played out.  Something like Macon goes pro, Gafford comes in and is absolutely dominant, and Beard steps up and plays like All SEC guard. Hogs IMHO are most unpredictable team ever. Lose to teams they should never and beat teams you wouldn't believe.

Which is why I said that I do not think it is unfair to project them anywhere from 6th seed to 11 seed. I do think they'll make it, but as what seed, who knows.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 06, 2017, 10:14:16 am
Which is why I said that I do not think it is unfair to project them anywhere from 6th seed to 11 seed. I do think they'll make it, but as what seed, who knows.

i think they will make it as well.  I just hope they get some luck/love from the seeding committee though i shouldn't hold my breath.

I mean i love filling out brackets i crushed it this year, only missing on Vilanova.  I wont do a bracket(s) unless the Hogs are in because i do not care otherwise.

HawgTide

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on April 04, 2017, 06:18:00 pm
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology?sf67908098=1

Arkansas at an 11-seed play in game vs. St. Bonaventura, part of the Last 4 In. Winner would play Baylor, and that victor would play winner of UNC/Charleston (how poetic).

Other SEC teams:
Florida - 1
Kentucky - 2
Vandy - 8
South Carolina - 10
Alabama - 10

With what we've got coming back and what we've got coming in, I'm thinking surely better than Last 4 In...right?

Joe can suck it

Atlhogfan1

Lunardi did not have us in his April bracket when Moses was checking into the NBA nor after the draft entries decided to come back.  A&M was getting a lot of attention as was MSU.  UK and Fl of course were in. 

Quote from: 311Hog on April 06, 2017, 10:04:34 am

This hasn't happened too often which needs to change to take the next step.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on April 06, 2017, 10:15:32 am
i think they will make it as well.  I just hope they get some luck/love from the seeding committee though i shouldn't hold my breath.

I mean i love filling out brackets i crushed it this year, only missing on Vilanova.  I wont do a bracket(s) unless the Hogs are in because i do not care otherwise.

They need to make their own luck by not losing to teams like MSu & mizzu.

I still do a bracket just because we have been doing them at home since we got married. Before we had kids, we even found ways to have our dogs pick a bracket, but it is not as much fun as it used to be.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 06, 2017, 10:21:10 am
Lunardi did not have us in his April bracket when Moses was checking into the NBA nor after the draft entries decided to come back.  A&M was getting a lot of attention as was MSU.  UK and Fl of course were in. 

That SC road win looks pretty good now though!

(I mean I know that's our only quality win, but I was surprised at how "quality" it ended up being)

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 06, 2017, 10:21:10 am

How did A&M and MSU end up this year?

This is just opinion at this point not based on any data.

It will only change after we have turned the corner and has zero to contribute towards taking the next step.

I couldn't care less about preseason guesses because they are based in nothing.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 08:57:08 am

Dozier, Sylvia and Fielder will be stout,  Not sure who they have coming in.  I'd say they will probably make the tournament.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PORKULATOR on April 09, 2017, 09:48:41 am
Lunardi does not quite believe in CMA basketball.

Well, he does believe that CMA will be one of 68 coaches to make the NCAA's next year. As a matter of fact, we probably would have been better off as an 11 seed this year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 08, 2017, 07:01:00 pm
How did A&M and MSU end up this year?

This is just opinion at this point not based on any data.

It will only change after we have turned the corner and has zero to contribute towards taking the next step.

I couldn't care less about preseason guesses because they are based in nothing.

You know how they ended up. Why ask me?  I didn't put them in a bracket prediction for last season. 

Beating good teams more consistently won't contribute to taking the next step?  That doesn't make sense. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2017, 02:59:28 pm
You know how they ended up. Why ask me?  I didn't put them in a bracket prediction for last season. 

Beating good teams more consistently won't contribute to taking the next step?  That doesn't make sense.

Post I responded to said nothing about beating anyone. Only who was talked about.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 09, 2017, 04:09:23 pm
Post I responded to said nothing about beating anyone. Only who was talked about.

" beat teams you wouldn't believe."

wheelspigharvey had no issue understanding that part of my post was in response to 311's statement about beating teams you wouldn't believe. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2017, 04:43:37 pm

" beat teams you wouldn't believe."

wheelspigharvey had no issue understanding that part of my post was in response to 311's statement about beating teams you wouldn't believe.

There are no teams out there that I "wouldn't believe" we could beat nor would I be shocked at any win. We are good enough to get a win anywhere. Now, we need to show the nation.
Hogs up! Covid down!

cram224

11 seed and everybody happy. The bar can't get any lower.

RME

Quote from: cram224 on April 09, 2017, 05:38:11 pm
11 seed and everybody happy. The bar can't get any lower.

What thread are you reading?