Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ex-Maryland QB Danny O'Brien and LT Max Garcia plan to visit Ole Miss

Started by jbcarol, March 20, 2012, 09:23:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Danny O'Brien, the 2010 Freshman All-American and former ACC Rookie of the Year, will take an official visit to Ole Miss this week, a source has told CBS. O'Brien will be joined on the visit to Oxford by Max Garcia, the Terps former starting left tackle, who also is leaving the Maryland program.

The two former starters are expected to be in Oxford from Tuesday to Thursday.

QuoteThe 6-3, 210-pound O'Brien, a pro-style QB who still has two years of eligibility remaining, is on schedule to graduate with a Business degree in the spring and would be eligible as a graduate transfer this fall--muchlike former N.C, State QB Russell Wilson was for Wisconsin this past year. However, unlike many of these recent graduate transfer cases, O'Brien has two years remaining, not just one. Even the SEC's new rule restricting graduate transfers would be open to O'Brien because he has two years of eligibility remaining, not just one season.

Garcia, who has two seasons of eligibility remaining, would have to sit out the 2012 season.

Ole Miss, which just finished 2-10, suffering its worst season in school history, has glaring needs at both positions. New coach Hugh Freeze, who replaced the fired Houston Nutt, brings an up-tempo scheme...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawg Balling

Pretty out of character for Ole Miss to go after a transfer quarterback

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: Hawg Balling on March 20, 2012, 10:27:44 am
Pretty out of character for Ole Miss to go after a transfer quarterback
???? That's pretty much their tradition in the past five years or so...........

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Aston Martin 8 dude on March 20, 2012, 02:22:58 pm
???? That's pretty much their tradition in the past five years or so...........

Your sarcasm detector must be in the shop.

3BoarsDown

Ole Miss is basically a JUCO that plays in the SEC, they are a dumping grounds for kids.

I take it they have given up on ever developing a QB again themselves.

Dropkick

Jackrabbit Hog

I hear Hugh "Mr. Freeze" has put in a call to Jamarcus Russell to see if he's available for a tryout.  But alas, Jamarcus must fulfill his contractual requirement at SeaWorld so he can't make it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Aston Martin 8 dude

News Flash: For those fans who might be uninformed Ole Miss actually accepts transfers, particularly QBs! I know it's difficult to believe though.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Aston Martin 8 dude on March 21, 2012, 12:38:31 pm
News Flash: For those fans who might be uninformed Ole Miss actually accepts transfers, particularly QBs! I know it's difficult to believe though.

Yeah, that was my joke you whiffed on.

Aston Martin 8 dude

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dropkick

He is probably Penn State bound, O'brien that is. No idea on Garcia.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

With O'Brien's transfer to Wisconsin, Vandy's tampering allegation that was reported to the SEC will likely not come up again.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 28, 2012, 12:11:16 pm
Max Garcia visited UGa on Saturday. He played at Norcross.

Garcia, who is one of the nation's most-heavily recruited football transfers, rated his official visit to UGA somewhere "between a 9 and 10" on a scale of 1-10.

QuoteThe 6-foot-4, 310-pound offensive lineman is a former Norcross High School football star who was recently granted a release from Maryland. Garcia will red-shirt next year and have two seasons of eligibility.

Garcia took official visits to UGA and Ole Miss over the last 10 days. He confirmed with the AJC that he will go to Florida on Friday, then take a recruiting trip to USC next week. Garcia is deciding between Wisconsin, Vanderbilt and Clemson for his fifth and final visit. He hopes to announce his college decision by late April.

UGA has been the longtime frontrunner for Garcia, who requested permission to transfer from Maryland because he wanted to play closer to home. During his spring break, Garcia toured UGA on an official visit.

"I rate my visit to UGA between a 9 and 10 because while I was there, I felt at home," Garcia told the AJC. "I enjoyed meeting all the coaches and the players. I had an overall great experience in Athens. I got to see their first spring practice in pads.

"They practiced with great intensity and enthusiasm. It really got me fired up – I wanted to be suited up myself."  Garcia joked that the only reason he did[n't] grade UGA as a "10" is because "I only received about $50 for the gas spent driving to Athens [from the Atlanta area]."