Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you really want this team to go the NCAA tourney?

Started by TuckerRay, February 05, 2009, 09:06:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TuckerRay

I would rather seem them in the NIT with a chance to go far into it than to see them one and done.

Tick Hog

We don't have to worry about it but it's every teams goal to make the NCAA tourn. Don't get me wrong i wouldn't turn down the nit but if i had my choice NCAA without a doubt. Don't ever settle for average.

WxHog

In some ways, agree.   

Making the NCAA would be nice and should always be the goal, but realistically won't happen.   Probably have a better shot of making a SEC Tourney run than at-large bid at this point.   

An NIT Final 4 run would build more experience and I could see that happening.    Given our higher attendence than most NIT teams, we would probably have home court advantage in first 3 rounds. 

We still have to win at least 2 more games (maybe 3) to be NIT eligable.   Beating Georgia at home seems likely, every other game is either close to a draw or playing the role of the underdog.   

Will CBI tournament accept teams that are under .500?

hoggin25

it would be a trip if Texas or Oklahoma made it to the Final 4
WPS

jschulte

Quote from: TuckerRay on February 05, 2009, 09:06:35 pm
I would rather seem them in the NIT with a chance to go far into it than to see them one and done.

Yes... this team can obviously win some big games.  If they could make it to the tourney (only chance by winning the SEC tourney), then I wouldn't doubt they make it to the second round.

tulsafan101010

Quote from: WxHog on February 05, 2009, 11:42:41 pm
An NIT Final 4 run would build more experience and I could see that happening.    Given our higher attendence than most NIT teams, we would probably have home court advantage in first 3 rounds.

With the new NIT format that involves seeding the teams 1-8, they're at least paying lip service to earning the home court with merit instead of just attendance numbers.  The past 2 years it's been largely the teams with the best resume that have hosted NIT games.

Quote from: WxHog on February 05, 2009, 11:42:41 pm
Will CBI tournament accept teams that are under .500?

Yes.  Last year Cincinnati made it with a 13-18 record.

HognotinMemphis

NCAA tourney?  Don't talk about the NCAA tourney. You kiddin' me? NCAA Tourney? I just hope they can win another game.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

cdclark09

Calihog

People asked this questions last year about last years team on this board...  Posting rants about how the team made them mad and didn't deserve to go to the tournament.  OF COURSE I want them to go to the tournament.  I'm a razorback fan.  Will they go?.. Not looking very likely right now. But why ask, do you want them to go?

Beaverfever

The Great Hambino

Yes, I always want to go. I only hope now that Texas or Oklahoma win the whole thing.

I'd rather lose in the first round of the NCAA than win the NIT.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Karma on February 06, 2009, 02:40:06 pm
I'd rather lose in the first round of the NCAA than win the NIT.
I'd rather watch a polar bear eat a taunting zoo visitor than watch the Hogs in any post-season tournament.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

cdclark09

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2009, 03:06:10 pm
I'd rather watch a polar bear eat a taunting zoo visitor than watch the Hogs in any post-season tournament.
Well that goes without saying

hogzilla3

I'm not a big NIT fan , (Not Invited to the Tournament) I don't care how many extra games it gives us

H-O-double g

I don't believe this team nor next year's 2010 team will be in the NCAA tournament.......the SEC is way down this year, and we might only win 4 conference games?!? Not good!.......in the West, LSU is off to a fast start with their new coach and Ole Miss is winning with a freshman team that includes their top players already out for the year........we are in trouble!

hawaiianhogster

Any T is better than no T. It will give them the experience they need. They must win at least 50% conference games and win the SECT to make it into the NCAAT. Otherwise it's the NIT which is fine with me. If they can continue to play hard they can learn how to win.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 06, 2009, 02:05:02 pm
Lol.  We're probably the worst team in the SEC. 
It's ironic that our last game with Georgia determined the SEC champion, and now our next one will determine who is the worst team in the SEC.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

threeNout

Yes, I want us to go to the big dance.

The only way it looks like it can happen though is to gel at the right time and win the SECT.

That's not that crazy folks, unlikley, but we were the best team in the SEC for about a week, then went to being the worst, maybe we can get good again at the right time. I like what I'm seeing from Henry, maybe we get Monk back, who knows?

I'll always want to see us get to the NCAA tournament.

Hot_Town_Hog

I have a really hard time getting excited about the NIT, and I don't think the average fan even knows there is a CBI. What makes College hoops so exciting is March Madness, and that has nothing to do with the NIT.

Hot_Town_Hog

In response to the original question, any fan or team whose goal is not to make the NCAA should just give up the sport.

Do you think UALR would rather make the NIT or NCAA? More likely to win a game or 2 in the NIT, but getting invited to the Big Dance is what it's all about.

This team needs winnable games to gain experience. I hope we make the CBI and win it, although winning it would be tough for this team.  A 1 and done NCAA or a 2 and through NIT doesn't make sense to me.  Let mighty Arkansas go to the CBI and earn their marks, being embrassed by having to go there to gain experience.  Us going to the NCAA would be like taking a sandwich to a formal banquet.

Hot_Town_Hog

We are getting to the point in the season where most of these Freshman are more like Sophomores. If playing against the SEC West this year is not considered to be winnable games with this team, I can't see that big of change with what we have coming in next year. The CBI certainly shouldn't have a big impact, at least in IMO.