Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This quote stings a little

Started by blacksuit, February 05, 2009, 07:25:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blacksuit

"I was kind of surprised," Chism said. "I mean, their coach is a good coach and he usually will have something planned up his sleeve or something.

"I thought they would, but we kept doing the same thing and it kept working, so we just stuck with it."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/251505/

I think a lot of this falls on a lack of personnel to match up with those guys inside, but we're sort of in a pick your poison situation: get beat inside, or get beat on the perimeter.

touchdownark

Quote from: blacksuit on February 05, 2009, 07:25:32 pm
"I was kind of surprised," Chism said. "I mean, their coach is a good coach and he usually will have something planned up his sleeve or something.

"I thought they would, but we kept doing the same thing and it kept working, so we just stuck with it."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/251505/

I think a lot of this falls on a lack of personnel to match up with those guys inside, but we're sort of in a pick your poison situation: get beat inside, or get beat on the perimeter.

we only played two forwards all game because clark and moore didnt even hit the floor

Hot_Town_Hog

Still curious why Clark and Moore did not even sniff the court. They aren't high on my list, but shouldn't we have tried something to cut down on the offensive boards?

This was a 1/3 of our class last year, and they don't even play in a 7-man rotation that seems way undersized? There may be a legit answer, and if someone can enlighten me please do.

hawgsav1

Honestly, I don't know why Clark and Moore didn't touch the floor.  There may have been an internal discipline thing going on, or Pelphrey was trying to tire out Tennessee by going small and having their big guys run around after us. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

blacksuit

Or worse, the freshman forwards are not as good as the guys we have out there. Moore/Clarke have both looked really raw when they've played.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: blacksuit on February 05, 2009, 08:03:37 pm
Or worse, the freshman forwards are not as good as the guys we have out there. Moore/Clarke have both looked really raw when they've played.

That is my fear as well....We have got to recruit AND get on campus some guys that can have an instant impact. If we are as depleted as everyone says, and I must admit that is something I have finally realized, maybe we need to pick up a JUCO player or even a couple of them. I know we had one in the works last year that didn't work out, but that doesn't mean we can't go that route again.

Weems was our best player last year, and it sure seems Nolan used to hit the JUCO ranks hard. If I were recruiting (which I am not), it would be my preference to get a couple of JUCO players with such a young team to add a little experience beyond High School. 

The Hogfather

From what I've seen, they're both better than what we are playing right now.  In fact, Clark looks like he could end up being pretty darn good.  I've seen him rebound with authority, shoot outside shots, jump out of the gym on dunks, block shots....

I just don't get it.  It cannot be worse than it is now.  We got 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 turnover, and 2 fouls for Sanchez in 22 minutes of playing time.  Not to mention all the times that he didn't block out and his guy got a tip-in.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on February 05, 2009, 08:20:29 pm
That is my fear as well....We have got to recruit AND get on campus some guys that can have an instant impact. If we are as depleted as everyone says, and I must admit that is something I have finally realized, maybe we need to pick up a JUCO player or even a couple of them. I know we had one in the works last year that didn't work out, but that doesn't mean we can't go that route again.

Weems was our best player last year, and it sure seems Nolan used to hit the JUCO ranks hard. If I were recruiting (which I am not), it would be my preference to get a couple of JUCO players with such a young team to add a little experience beyond High School. 

Like Farmer?

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 05, 2009, 09:00:41 pm
Like Farmer?

I certainly hope so....He has been playing against bigger and better players than the kids right out of High Schools. Honestly don't know a lot about him, but am hopeful he will be a contributor next year.

The Hogfather

Well, I just looked at Farmer's statistics from his last few games and they are not too encouraging.  Lots of shots, not a lot of makes.  He's 13-57 (22%) in January.

:(

http://www.cloud.edu/athletics/basketball/gamestats/index_stats.asp

RZRBack_FAN

We need alot of help and theres not a whole lot coming.

antonio65

How many times does someone have to flash across the lane to figure that out?  Why could we not make a little effort to put a body on someone to get position for rebound. The lazy attitude toward defense and rebounding is really starting to pi$$ me off.

HogBreath

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 05, 2009, 09:31:22 pm
Well, I just looked at Farmer's statistics from his last few games and they are not too encouraging.  Lots of shots, not a lot of makes.  He's 13-57 (22%) in January.

:(

http://www.cloud.edu/athletics/basketball/gamestats/index_stats.asp
He'll fit right in.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

la20688

Clark and Moore have got to get on the floor and at least give us some hard fouls on top of a few rebounds.  There is no reason why they shouldn't at least be getting 7-8 mins. a game.  We need all the help we have from here on out.  The team just needs to loosen up an play like they've got nothing to lose.......because they don't.  No matter what I'll still be pullin for them the next game.  wps!

Beaverfever

Dang that does sting.  I think alot of our issues our personnel.  Either way, Pel is going to have to turn some of these guys into players or get some new players.  It's a bit disheartening that both seem to be well into the future. 

HawgWild

"I guess the other team just wanted it more than we did." quote from the Heath years. Please, let's not go back to this excuse.

BallHog1

ALLVOL

Quote from: opineonswine on February 06, 2009, 09:50:47 am
Chism and Bruce Pearl are punks.
What did either do that makes them a punk? He was asked a question. After the game Pearl stated that UT stole a game that they should not have won. He praised Pel and the Hogs and said the Hogs are young and Pel will have them very dangerous soon.

Yep that's a punk...

heathtits

Just judging from that quote? I agree about Pearl but Chism? What has he done?

He pretty much called it exactly like it happened, while still being respectful to our coach. I don't see anything wrong with that.

eathill5

Quote from: heathtits on February 06, 2009, 12:02:08 pm
Just judging from that quote? I agree about Pearl but Chism? What has he done?

He pretty much called it exactly like it happened, while still being respectful to our coach. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Have you ever watched Tenn play?  He is the biggest baby in the world.  He wines about every call and plays cheap just like a punk Biatch
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

pigs rule

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 06, 2009, 11:25:49 am
What did either do that makes them a punk? He was asked a question. After the game Pearl stated that UT stole a game that they should not have won. He praised Pel and the Hogs and said the Hogs are young and Pel will have them very dangerous soon.

Yep that's a punk...
Got to agree...I didn't think anyone said anything derogatory about the program or Pel. I actually kinda like Pearl...as much as you can like a Vol coach. JMHO

ALLVOL

Quote from: pigs rule on February 06, 2009, 12:13:06 pm
Got to agree...I didn't think anyone said anything derogatory about the program or Pel. I actually kinda like Pearl...as much as you can like a Vol coach. JMHO
Closet VOL fan!!!  lol
I agree. J Smith last year was totally out of line and I didnt like that. He was repremanded by Pearl later.

arkansasmaniac

Eh, come on now.
After TN won that game, the players were going crazy.  Chism went right over to Stephan Welsh, picked him up off the ground, put his arm around him, and was giving him some words.  I don't really like TN that much, but they were by far the classiest team that we have seen in the SEC so far this year.

BallHog1

Quote from: arkansasmaniac on February 06, 2009, 01:58:35 pm
Eh, come on now.
After TN won that game, the players were going crazy.  Chism went right over to Stephan Welsh, picked him up off the ground, put his arm around him, and was giving him some words.  I don't really like TN that much, but they were by far the classiest team that we have seen in the SEC so far this year.

Ahh heck. OK, I take it back.  Guess I was just hating because we lost.

ALLVOL

Quote from: opineonswine on February 06, 2009, 03:50:32 pm
Bruce Pearl is a low class, fraudulent punk.  He has yet to win anything.  He's full of puff and bluff.  He's a punk.  That is all.

Well thought out post. But, opinions vary...

Hoggy1

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 06, 2009, 04:01:33 pm
Well thought out post. But, opinions vary...

say what you want about the character part, but Pearl really has never won anything.....
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

ALLVOL

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on February 06, 2009, 05:08:06 pm
say what you want about the character part, but Pearl really has never won anything.....
He won a national title in D2. He has time to do so in D1.

razorback93

Didn't A. Clark come in at semester last year?  If so, then he is a big disappointment.  We have this giant void at the forward spot, and it is killing us.  The only game we won was when sanchez scored in double figures and clarke was hitting shots.  When you are playing only 7 players, you can't have three of them be non-factors.

disGUSted

Quote from: opineonswine on February 06, 2009, 03:50:32 pm
Bruce Pearl is a low class, fraudulent punk.  He has yet to win anything.  He's full of puff and bluff.  He's a punk.  That is all.
Check his record against Pel's, wouldn't you trade?

chiefsfan

Quote from: disGUSted on February 06, 2009, 07:00:00 pm
Check his record against Pel's, wouldn't you trade?

nope.   Pearl has been at Tennessee several years, I dont know how you could possibly compare the two
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ALLVOL

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 06, 2009, 07:28:08 pm
nope.   Pearl has been at Tennessee several years, I dont know how you could possibly compare the two
How about checking Pels first 2 years against Pearls first 2 years.

thirtythree

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 07, 2009, 06:22:33 am
How about checking Pels first 2 years against Pearls first 2 years.

You would have to check the talent level that each had as well. It's not a fair comparison. JP inherited a team that didn't play his style and he did good with it because there were a bunch of upper classmen in it. Now he has a VERY young team. Although they are fiesty and competitive, they are losing games.

I just hope we can get on a run and make a strong finsih whether we make the tourney or not.

ALLVOL

Quote from: thirtythree on February 07, 2009, 06:43:24 am
You would have to check the talent level that each had as well. It's not a fair comparison. JP inherited a team that didn't play his style and he did good with it because there were a bunch of upper classmen in it. Now he has a VERY young team. Although they are fiesty and competitive, they are losing games.

I just hope we can get on a run and make a strong finsih whether we make the tourney or not.
That is exactly what Pearl walked into as well.

PennaHog

Quote from: ChargerHog on February 05, 2009, 09:54:34 pm
We need alot of help and theres not a whole lot coming.

Need the fans to exercise a whole lot of patience right now.  It was said after Beverley that things were going to get worse before they got better.  Welcome to worse.  See you here next year when better comes around.  Just ride this out.  We start 3 Frosh for crying out loud.  Remember this post.

WPS
This comment is the absolute dumbest thing ever said on this board:

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 05, 2010, 01:03:52 am
I thought you were a military man? 
You would think, serving our great country, would have taught you some respect for authority.
Lando is a moderator.  Respect his authority.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: PennaHog on February 07, 2009, 07:24:25 am
Need the fans to exercise a whole lot of patience right now.  It was said after Beverley that things were going to get worse before they got better.  Welcome to worse.  See you here next year when better comes around.  Just ride this out.  We start 3 Frosh for crying out loud.  Remember this post.

WPS
Why do you say next year will be better?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hot_Town_Hog

February 07, 2009, 11:39:56 am #35 Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:42:07 am by Hot_Town_Hog
It is impossible to make a valid assessment on Pel's coaching abilities at this point. However, if we are in last place after year 3, I will be very worried. Not saying that is my prediction, but if you say different you may be fooling yourself.

One thing that is hard to figure out, is that last year's team was said to not be a good team because of all the Seniors. But now many are saying we have too many Freshman. I understand it would be nice to have a mix, but in today's game there are a lot of freshman that make bigtime contributions. I don't buy this 4 or 5 year excuse to turn things around. Tubby Smith is one that jumps out really quick with the turnaround at Minnesota.

Just to be clear, this is not hating on Pel or saying he want lead us to big things, but saying it takes 4 or 5 years in College basketball to turn around a program is just a way to accept mediocrity.