Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's why we're losing

Started by Hogtropolis™, February 05, 2009, 06:49:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

1.) We have only have 7 players that can keep from getting owned while they are on the court

2.) Only 5 of those 7 players can score.

3.) Only 2 of those 5 players can score consistently.

4.) 4 of those 7 players are 6'2" or less

We're a team with limited experience, minimal height, and virtually no depth.

For us to start winning next year, we are going to have to bring in some more bodies (have 2-3 coming in already), get some height at the guard position (Farmer is a start there), develop Moore and Clark while getting major contributions from Powell (we'll see) and learn from valuable experience this year (we'll see).

jschulte

We have had a few unfortunate turn of events... and I'm sure these guys are getting tired... all 7 of them

86rogershog

This in not PC,Ronti is defensive hole,he can not shoot over other guards in sec.I think there is a place for him in major div1A,and I hope it is with ark.I hope he does'nt transfer.I think it will work out with time.

touchdownark

Quote from: 86rogershog on February 05, 2009, 07:17:47 pm
This in not PC,Ronti is defensive hole,he can not shoot over other guards in sec.I think there is a place for him in major div1A,and I hope it is with ark.I hope he does'nt transfer.I think it will work out with time.
thats why he had 6 threes against gee who is 6'6 from bama

Tick Hog

I think he will start making his shot but yes he is a little slow footed on d. I think he will figure it out and make it happen on the Off side of the ball.

thirtythree

Quote from: touchdownark on February 05, 2009, 07:40:56 pm
thats why he had 6 threes against gee who is 6'6 from bama

A lot of those none was anywhere around him. He rushes his shot when he is closley guarded. He needs to get more open to be the kind of shooter that we all know he can be.

Until then he will be covered up and we lose a scoring threat.

Verge

I disagree... lack of conditioning or physical fitness IMO. Guys might be too young for this type of conditioning, i'm not sure.

"40 minutes of pel" happened 2 nights this year, the rest of the time it is fortson walking the ball up the court, recieving instructions from the coaches... waiting... waiting... run a play. No pressing, no traps, no in your face defense, repeat for 40 minutes :(

jmalott86

We are losing because our guys do not execute anything correctly on a consistent basis, offensively or defensively. Ole miss has lost three of their best players, including the best PG in the SEC, yet they continue to win because they EXECUTE! They are just as young as we are with a true freshman SG (T White) playing PG, I am tired of excuses. I believe in Pel but he has to get these guys to excute better or come up with a different game plan.

Porkatarian

What happens next year if:

A. Michael Washington declares for the NBA draft
B. Marshawn Powell doesn't qualify
C. One or more of our current players decides to transfer

Lot's of uncertainties heading into next season.  Pel needs to bring in a strong class during the late signing period.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Conway Hog

Quote from: Verge on February 06, 2009, 08:37:22 am
I disagree... lack of conditioning or physical fitness IMO. Guys might be too young for this type of conditioning, i'm not sure.

"40 minutes of pel" happened 2 nights this year, the rest of the time it is fortson walking the ball up the court, recieving instructions from the coaches... waiting... waiting... run a play. No pressing, no traps, no in your face defense, repeat for 40 minutes :(

that just about sums it up...oh, we forgot to point out that if you don't do it absolutely, I mean absolutely Pels way...you will not see the floor which limits the growth of a young inexperienced team...you know there are other forms of discipline beside keeping kids off the floor...such as, run...run...run...shoot free throws, shoot free throw, shoot free throws...this might even help condition the kids to extend the defense and push the ball, and even make up 75% of there free throws...
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

Conway Hog

Quote from: jmalott86 on February 06, 2009, 08:37:40 am
We are losing because our guys do not execute anything correctly on a consistent basis, offensively or defensively. Ole miss has lost three of their best players, including the best PG in the SEC, yet they continue to win because they EXECUTE! They are just as young as we are with a true freshman SG (T White) playing PG, I am tired of excuses. I believe in Pel but he has to get these guys to excute better or come up with a different game plan.

Oh, they execute alright...

on offense they bring the ball down (walk it down), post two guys on either side of paint, set up with to guards out past 3 point line (with their feet in cement), they all stand there and watch Fortson attempt to drive into the paint and shoot or dish it off

on defense we go down and set up in a zone defense and watch them shoot threes while giving very little effort to defend past 3 point line.  when they miss a shot we fail to block out they rebound and put it back up for two

They have the down real good...with no sign of changing...sorry I am so pessimistic but for some reason this team following the Texas game lost its desire to play and in my mind that is the coaching staff fault
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson