Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rotni clark is out of sync again- that was the difference

Started by hawg IQ, February 05, 2009, 09:56:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg IQ

When he's shooting the 3's, Hogs are a much better team.

I don't understand why he just not hitting his shots.
Its the reason of not winning as of late. I'm not picking on him,
but with being short on personel and needing to over acheive, it
an element we desperatly need and we don't have right now.
go hogs go !

Veritas Arkansas

I don't know why he has this "the only thing I can do is catch-and-shoot from the arc mentality."

Pump fake, dribble up, and nail a long jumpshot.  Or, fake, dribble to the left, then shoot then.

It's like he has it in his mind that the only thing he's allowed to do is shoot the trey.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

ke2743

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on February 05, 2009, 09:57:54 am
I don't know why he has this "the only thing I can do is catch-and-shoot from the arc mentality."

Pump fake, dribble up, and nail a long jumpshot.  Or, fake, dribble to the left, then shoot then.

It's like he has it in his mind that the only thing he's allowed to do is shoot the trey.

You hit the nail on the head.  I don't understand nights (like last night) when his 3ball is off, why he still stands on the perimeter looking to jack up 3's.  If my 3ball wasn't on I would dribble penetrate to create open shots for others or hell so that I could make some long jumpers. 

Hawgaholic2012

it seems like he's really in a funk... i think when he shoots it he's hoping he doesen't miss instead of shooting to put the ball in the bucket. 

40MINSOFHELL

Chad In Real Life

Its not that he's just not hitting them. Some of them are just down right ugly
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

count of bacon

I know I beginning to beat a dead horse, but   I think the Hogs do better when they have better ball movement.  It starts with Courtney.  There is too much standing around, and waiting for a pick to come,when Fortson tries to penetrate all the time.   It throws off timing.  And when timing is gone so is your shot.  Rotnei's best game was when Fortson was thinking pass first shoot second. This would benefit everyone.

tbhogfan

If you watch film of him in HS, he frequently drove in and took what he could get.    (Scorer's mentality)

Now he seems to only want to roam the arc.   (Shooter's mentality)

If he will establish the fact that he will drive and pop an 8 footer, the defense will eventually have to respect that and back off a bit.   He needs to play with a scorer's mentality, not a shooter's mentality to be truly successful.
Go Hogs!

TNhawgfan

I'm more convinced Bama was more of an exception than the rule. He obviously can stroke it when he makes a couple, but where is his confidence the other 6 conference games? With the lack of offense this team has, the last thing we need is someone standing around on the perimeter bricking threes all night
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: count of bacon on February 05, 2009, 11:24:51 am
I know I beginning to beat a dead horse, but   I think the Hogs do better when they have better ball movement.  It starts with Courtney.  There is too much standing around, and waiting for a pick to come,when Fortson tries to penetrate all the time.   It throws off timing.  And when timing is gone so is your shot.  Rotnei's best game was when Fortson was thinking pass first shoot second. This would benefit everyone.
That may be true, but if Fortson wasn't attacking the rim last night we lose by double digits.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

LL COOL HOG

He also has been taking a lot of off balance shots.  He has the slight fall away that just looks bad.  I agree that he may need to sit just so he can focus. I also agree that he needs to drive to the hole get to the foul line to get his confidence up.  But at the number of shots he takes I'm not sure his confidence is the problem.  Poor mechanics right now looks like an issue.

rude1

Why is it that many on here don't want to hold, Clarke responsible for his poor play? Just seems every kid gets blasted for their play, but when Clarke struggles many want to make it more to do with the other players, mostly Welsh then Fortson, who aren't doing enough to make Clarke's game flourish. Maybe just maybe, Clarke isn't that deadly shooter against D1 defenses that we had hoped.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2009, 11:39:44 am
Why is it that many on here don't want to hold, Clarke responsible for his poor play? Just seems every kid gets blasted for their play, but when Clarke struggles many want to make it more to do with the other players, mostly Welsh then Fortson, who aren't doing enough to make Clarke's game flourish. Maybe just maybe, Clarke isn't that deadly shooter against D1 defenses that we had hoped.

That was one of my concerns as well. But he is missing wide open shots. I think he will get out of his slump.

phadedhawg

He doesn't have the size or quickness to be a defender that can shut guards down so when he is in such a slump I don't understand why he gets so many minutes.

I agree with others about him being more aggressive.  He is an amazing free throw shooter.  He needs to create some opportunities for him to at least get to the free throw line. 

Last night...mid way thru the 2nd half I was ready to see him on the bench.  If you can't get your shot going by then odds are you won't be contributing much down the stretch. 

The only benefit I can see by leaving him in a game like that is tying up a defender on the perimenter and possibly preventing a double team of Washington in the paint.

want2be

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 05, 2009, 11:25:39 am
If you watch film of him in HS, he frequently drove in and took what he could get.    (Scorer's mentality)

Now he seems to only want to roam the arc.   (Shooter's mentality)

If he will establish the fact that he will drive and pop an 8 footer, the defense will eventually have to respect that and back off a bit.   He needs to play with a scorer's mentality, not a shooter's mentality to be truly successful.

Rotnei has the ability (as we have seen) to handle the ball well and make the moves to be a scorer. And when he does this his 3 point shooting is better because he is in the flow of the game more. If all of us have noticed this, I am sure the coaches have also and he needs to be encouraged to make more moves with the ball.

hogster23

I dont think he was ever being guarded by 6'3-6'5 athletes in high school like he is in the SEC. It will take him some time to get use to shooting over them or finding a way around them. He needs to look to drive more at the beginning of the game, maybe get to the free throw line and get his shot started before he starts jacking up off balance 3 pointers. As we saw during the alabama game, the kid can shoot when he is confident....

PorkerOinker

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2009, 11:39:44 am

I agree on the idea of people on here not holding him responsible +1 there, but I do think he will be a good shooter when he learns to play in the SEC, this is not Oklahoma 3A or 4A, he is going to have to adjust and change his game somewhat before he becomes successful.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

HogInThaGrove

He was very good in AAU games vs larger talent just like the SEC.  His problem is confidence and rushing his shots.  And you're all correct, he needs to shot fake and take it to the hole a bit.  He hit 2 or 3 runners against Alabama.  That will get his shot going.  I still believe our screeners are all to worried about slipping the screen and getting the ball themselves to worry about screening for him to get him open.  Unless it's a called play, he won't get the ball.  And he is still a freshmen, with a world of pressure on his shoulders.  You all said it, as he goes, we go.  That's a hard thing for a freshmen to bear, and I believe he's very mentally tough, it's just tough!

newhog

He went thru this his freshman year in high school,by the end of the year he had totally adjusted.I think with different teams speed he has to adjust better and not get to sped up.It is time though i am tired of it to!I am not trying to bail him out.He is to good a player to be making the same mistakes.

TDHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 05, 2009, 11:30:10 am
That may be true, but if Fortson wasn't attacking the rim last night we lose by double digits.

That's not what happened at Alabama.  When 1 player puts everything on his sholders it is tough for ther other players to ever get involved.  Not just Clarke, but any other player on the court.  As good as MJ was they never won a title until he started giving up a portion of the offense.