Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for BBall guru's....if you have midget guards....

Started by Redbug, February 04, 2009, 09:30:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbug

and you are playing 3 of them at once....don't you need maximum MOTION for them to be successful???...

Isn't getting Taller/Larger opponents moving/chasing needed to get them to either lose focus and play lazy defense or  to get them out of position therefore SMART movement, spacing, & TEAMWORK can overcome size if the defense is not fundementallly sound...

We look like the Avery Johnson coached Dallas Mavericks sans Steve Nash all spread out behind the arc standing still wiating for Dirk to launch a 3....but we have no Dirk... ???

RZRBack_FAN

I agree, there is zero motion in our offense. We stand around while Fortson dribbles until someone gets enough space to jack up a 3. That's pretty much our offense!

HawgAdvocate

There was plenty of movement for most of the night. There were a few occasions in the 2nd half where the offense took longer than normal to get started. We're not a well-oiled machine, but few teams are.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

RZRBack_FAN

Did u notice how Tenn snapped the ball around the perimeter until they could hit the open man inside or someone slashing to the high post?

That's the kind of movement I'm talking about. We stand and dribble then take a bad shot!

Kevin

tenn was playing against a zone.

our offense is more like a pro offense than motion.  pick & rolls, isolations, looking to gain a mismatch.

teams are choosing to make fortson a score, not helping on his drives. 

we do not have enough consistant scorers.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ChargerHog on February 05, 2009, 01:11:53 pm
Did u notice how Tenn snapped the ball around the perimeter until they could hit the open man inside or someone slashing to the high post?

That's the kind of movement I'm talking about. We stand and dribble then take a bad shot!

When teams play zone against us (won't happen very often due to our lack of size), we can do the same. Attacking M2M is a different animal when defenders are draped all over each player.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

PorkRyan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2009, 12:57:59 pm
There was plenty of movement for most of the night. There were a few occasions in the 2nd half where the offense took longer than normal to get started. We're not a well-oiled machine, but few teams are.

There is movement, but it is movement without a purpose.  Too many times our guards move lazily from one spot to the next.  The guards never screen for each other either.  I noticed numerous times that Fortson and Clarke could have set screens for each other and didn't.  I know that is not their primary role, but there are times when someone has the ball up top and the guards are crossing underneath that they could easily screen for one of them and get an easy open 12 footer.  To me that is the difference/problem in our system, we utilize two screeners, mainly a high ball screen and roll and a double screen for a shooter.

chiefsfan

I think alot of this is because Fortson and Clarke are used to being the big scorer for their teams.   They arent used to having someone else to play with that is near as good

AAU is the closest thing they get.  and even then, the really good players are still way better then their competition

you arent taught to screen for someone who cant score
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Smithian

That is my biggest hope this offseason... Clean up our offensive sets. Considering we have a lot of freshman right now, i think their first full offseason int he system will see some big gains.