Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PELPHREY - Teach your players how to shoot FTs and block out

Started by Hogger, February 04, 2009, 09:09:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lookawayquick

Right on target. Second chances gave TN the win.  No block out and less hustle will cost ya.

UltimateHog

Sanchez needs to grow the frick up and learn that he is a man with testicles.

I'M SO SICK OF SEEING SANCHEZ GET PUSHED AROUND BY EVERYBODY!

God!
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

akp4105

Pel has his kids working on rebounding, blocking out, and free throws.. Youo can coach and practice that all you want.. But he cant play in the games.. the kids have to block out, rebound, and make free throws.. It's not Pel's fault.

TNhawgfan

What did you guys expect? This is the first game since his injury that Henry has played substantial minutes and he looked tired. Sanchez is terrible. Washington can't block out Smith, Chism, and Prince by himself.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

UltimateHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 04, 2009, 09:20:11 pm
What did you guys expect? This is the first game since his injury that Henry has played substantial minutes and he looked tired. Sanchez is terrible. Washington can't block out Smith, Chism, and Prince by himself.

Exactly.

My hats off to Henry for his effort and game tonight, excellent performance.

Sanchez, Moore, and Clark are worthless.

But I would have at least put Moore in there and told him "block and and bang them around down low or you're comin right back out, we dont need you to score".
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Niels Boar

The size mismatches are killing us in SEC play.  In the zone we usually have a small guard down low.  Big shock that a 6'-8'' SEC athlete will get an offensive rebound over a guard.

3kgthog

What exactly is Sanchez's role? He's not a scoring threat at all. He's not a rebounder. He isn't athletic enough to guard most SEC big men. So what does he do?

TNhawgfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 04, 2009, 09:44:00 pm
What exactly is Sanchez's role? He's not a scoring threat at all. He's not a rebounder. He isn't athletic enough to guard most SEC big men. So what does he do?
Piss me off!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

JBucc

Our inside presence is really worrying. Our big inside guy for this years class is 6-6. I know he's supposed to be really good inside and goes hard after rebounds, but when he's up against a 6-9 guy who also goes hard after them that's just another spot where we're undersized.
Read the guidelines for signature images.

Niels Boar

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 04, 2009, 09:44:00 pm

I'm wondering that, too.  Clark can block a shot, make a jumper, and rebound a little.  He's going to get out of position on D.  Of course, that would happen less frequently if he got more minutes.  Sanchez plays pretty good position defense.  If he doesn't defensive rebound with three guards on the floor, it doesn't matter.

The_Iceman

Quote from: UltimateHog on February 04, 2009, 09:28:29 pm

....and Clark are worthless.

i highly disagree with this part.

this team would be so much better if he was playing sanchez's minutes.

UltimateHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2009, 09:55:12 pm
i highly disagree with this part.

this team would be so much better if he was playing sanchez's minutes.

Clark and Moore both need more minutes.

From what I saw earlier in the season, Moore was decently ahead of Clark in every department.

Why we didn't see either of them tonight is beyond me.

HawgAdvocate

Most likely because they don't prove they can play in practice. Pel would play them if they gave more effort every single day.

Sanchez isn't the best athlete, and he struggles fairly often to do things we'd expect from an SEC post player, but he knows Pel's system.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hoppytoad

Fort, Washington, Welsh, Henry......came to play. Everyone else seemed to be surprised when Pel put them on the floor. Welsh doesn't finish well, but you can't fault his effort...he kept us in the game early, as did Fortson late.
At no time was there five on the floor in sync.
Someone is going to have to step up. The Monk thing has hurt us bigtime imho.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hoppytoad on February 04, 2009, 10:07:40 pm
Fort, Washington, Welsh, Henry......came to play. Everyone else seemed to be surprised when Pel put them on the floor. Welsh doesn't finish well, but you can't fault his effort...he kept us in the game early, as did Fortson late.
At no time was there five on the floor in sync.
Someone is going to have to step up. The Monk thing has hurt us bigtime imho.

I thought Welsh finished very well in transistion all night. The last shot was a heartbreaker. But he was getting to the hole all night before that.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

vandybuff

Fundamentals are so, so important.  For most of the players, tired or not, there should be no excuse in shooting under 70 - 75 percent from the line.  I know we once were much better than we now are --- and it has already cost us two or so games.
God bless the guys and girls, but there really is no excuse.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Smokehouse

We need Monk back badly. Depth was killing us by the end. Did Moore and Clark even log any minutes this game? Looking back at the end, if they did they did absolutely nothing to make me even realize they were on the floor. Fortson and co. were obviously worn out by the end.

I did like Henry starting though.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

vandybuff

Quote from: Smokehouse on February 04, 2009, 10:17:46 pm
We need Monk back badly.

Goodness - how long does it take to check "whatever" must be reviewed?  ' think there will be an answer by the time we play each other?
I feel for him and your fans.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 04, 2009, 10:05:20 pm
Most likely because they don't prove they can play in practice. Pel would play them if they gave more effort every single day.

Sanchez isn't the best athlete, and he struggles fairly often to do things we'd expect from an SEC post player, but he knows Pel's system.

Clark always was and always will be a project.   he's incredibly athletic, but he plays less D then sanchez, and makes the same mistakes sanchez does.

The only reason Sanchez even plays is because we cant constantly run Jason Henry at the 4 guard

we all knew post play would be a weakness this year.   and we pretty much intentionally scheduled weak post teams in nonconference.  Anyone who suddenly thought we would be able to dominate SEC teams down low was only kidding themselves

patience folks, itll get better with time
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

jkstock04

It's mind boggleing to me to see division 1 basketball players on scholarship who can't shoot freethrows.  This is a problem that has plagued us as a team for the past 10-15 years, and seems to either stay about the same or get worse each year. 

And ya...it would be nice if Sanchez would block out better, but we are at such a size disadvantage every time we step on to the court that it is very possible we will lose the remainder of the games on our schedule.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pigmund Freud

Is it against the rules to stand these guys in the gym for hours and force them to practice free throws?  Or is that just not cool in this day and time? I suppose that's just a Hossieresque fantasy on my part.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Pigmund Freud on February 05, 2009, 04:17:24 pm
Is it against the rules to stand these guys in the gym for hours and force them to practice free throws?  Or is that just not cool in this day and time? I suppose that's just a Hossieresque fantasy on my part.

The NCAA does set limits now on practice time and days.  I think they even have to be given a day off from  practice each week.   This doesn't, however, prohibit the players from DOING THOSE THINGS ON THEIR OWN.

touchdownark

Quote from: akp4105 on February 04, 2009, 09:16:04 pm
Pel has his kids working on rebounding, blocking out, and free throws.. Youo can coach and practice that all you want.. But he cant play in the games.. the kids have to block out, rebound, and make free throws.. It's not Pel's fault.
I agree the coach can teach the players how to block out but the players need to grow some balls and put a body on someone

hillhog

Quote from: touchdownark on February 05, 2009, 07:32:47 pm
I agree the coach can teach the players how to block out but the players need to grow some balls and put a body on someone
IMO, the players know the fundamentals, it is desire that is missing. When they make hitting free throws a highlight film we will see our players making more of them. I think the scene I liked most in our game with Tn was Britt guarding their post man down on the blocks. And yes, we all know how that turned out!!!

cthog99

Quote from: Pigmund Freud on February 05, 2009, 04:17:24 pm

you can practice free throws all you want, but you get to the game and its all in the head of the players. you honestly dont think they practice thousands of free throws in practice?

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

They are young and they need to work on these things more and on their own.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.