He gets fired this year (yr 2)
3 (1%)
3 seasons
34 (10.8%)
4-5 seasons
113 (35.9%)
Less than 10 seasons, Has great run and ends up at Kentucky
71 (22.5%)
More than 10 seasons.  Has enormous success here and wants to stay.
94 (29.8%)

Total Members Voted: 290

ThisTeetsTaken

Curious of everyone's confidence level as of today.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rzrbackrob

good questions on the poll
I'm going with a final four run and then off to Kentucky
Good is the enemy of great

Hogsfoot

Lets give him 4 or 5 and send him a can of spray stickem for those sliperly fingers.

JBucc

I think he'll get the rest of this year and next year to make a run at least to the sweet 16. If he doesn't do that Long will want to bring in his own guy.
Read the guidelines for signature images.

jst01

as of today?  the confidence level should be the same for this ENTIRE YEAR  for the reasons that have been stated over and over and over. He is playing with 6 freshmen, 4 of which get most of the playing time. Washington & Welsh are the only ones with experience and they cant do everything on their own.

Give Coach Pel 4 years starting with his first recruiting class. If Rot, Fort, and Henry graduate and we havent made a good run in the tourney or his recruiting is lacking, then maybe you can justify being down on Pel. As of now tho, you guys wanting Pel to be judged this early are showing your ignorance.

Zen_Hog

I give him one more year if he doesn't make the tournament this year.

BayofPigs

I don't why I always smile when I see some posters scared that Pel is going to Kentucky when he hasn't anything great so far

HawgWild

Pelphrey's still the man for the job IMHO. Not giving up my season tickets just yet. Can't believe the parity in the SEC this year albeit we're at the shollow end. OlePiss beats Mistake on the road? SC beats KY in KY? There was a post in an earlier thread that talked about making assumptions from a team's strength based on whom beat whom. College basketball seems more like the pros these days in that any team can beat any team on any given night.

We're going to get better.

WPS

Hogbody

Quote from: JBucc on February 01, 2009, 11:58:28 am
I think he'll get the rest of this year and next year to make a run at least to the sweet 16. If he doesn't do that Long will want to bring in his own guy.

If he doesnt make at least the sweet 16 next year he is gone?  No offense, but you're an idiot.

Beaverfever

It's all about recruiting.  He's got to get some players and I'm not so sure they are in the 2009 class.

The Galloping Ghost

The last sentence of jst01's post is applicable here. These rabid antics, along with absolutely unreal expectations are going to thwart any real chance we have of attaining to the program we desire. In other words. Please stop now.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on February 01, 2009, 12:42:52 pm
The last sentence of jst01's post is applicable here. These rabid antics, along with absolutely unreal expectations are going to thwart any real chance we have of attaining to the program we desire. In other words. Please stop now.
So, lowering expectations will get us ahead?

razorbak

I still don't know how good Pelphrey is, but he is better than Heath, IMO. And, if we gave Heath 5 years, we will give Pel 5 years, unless we are in a total losing death spiral year after year. Razorback basketball players are definitely playing harder than Heath's players. The greatest Arkansas teams had great Arkansas players, at least one--the Triplets, Moncrief in his Sr. year, Corliss. Pel's got a great crop of Arkie prepsters coming in 2011. If he can't recruit them, or produce some really good teams with them if he gets them, then make a change. But I believe Pel will get the job done.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

Hot_Town_Hog

I am far from a Gillespie fan, but my guess is that he will be at KY for a longtime. IMO, we can stop looking at that scenario for many years.

The Galloping Ghost

Teets,
Any business coach in the world that's worth a grain of salt will tell you that the first step to failure is setting unrealistic, otherwise unattainable goals. If your expectations as you call them were winning the the conference and making a run in the tournament this year then your having pipe dreams. Once again, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and Rome wasn't built in a day. The basketball program isn't a bag of microwave popcorn. You can't throw it in, push a button, and in a couple of minutes and it be done. Your lack of maturity and those like you are much more damaging to the program than the Coach.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Hogeyeblind

Quote from: JBucc on February 01, 2009, 11:58:28 am

I say 2 more years tops before Long cuts bait and handles the basketball hire.  I want Pel to be the guy, I just dont know if he is a good enough recruiter to get the toplflight guys we need to get back to the big time.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 01, 2009, 12:41:02 pm
It's all about recruiting.  He's got to get some players and I'm not so sure they are in the 2009 class.
I agree, but he has to win with what he has got in order to draw big name recruits.  I give him 2-3 more years, if recruiting and wins are still marginal, then it will be obvious he is in over his head.  If in a couple years, he can coach this currently young team in to a sweet sixteen team, then he will have proven his worth.  He obviously still has a lot to prove, but I'm for giving him the time to do it.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Jhaynie

shut the crap up.  this guy's been here 2 years and you guys want to axe this man.  we're starting 3 freshmen this year and we're right where everyone has picked us this year.  not to mention that we don't have a bench to go to this year.  grow up and quit posting if you don't know anything about basketball. 

hawgsav1

He's been here less than 2 years....
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

chiefsfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 01, 2009, 01:21:55 pm
So, lowering expectations will get us ahead?

First we need to define our expectations

Right now we need to expect to be a tournament team more often then not.    Once we start making the NCAA's we can set an expectation of 2nd round at least.   do that, we can set a sweet 16 expectation etc

This teams expectation from the beginning has been NIT or bust.   Next year's team will be expected to make an NCAA run.    Maybe in about 3 years we can set a legitimate target of a sweet 16 team.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on February 01, 2009, 09:33:51 pm
I say 2 more years tops before Long cuts bait and handles the basketball hire.  I want Pel to be the guy, I just dont know if he is a good enough recruiter to get the toplflight guys we need to get back to the big time.

the question we have to ask ourselves as fans is:  Is Arkansas basketball at a high enough level to bring in 5 star top flight players year after year

We are not, and until we reach that point the only 5 stars we will get are the ones who are from Arkansas,     Heck look at football, its having one of its best recruiting seasons ever, and there is still only one 5 star in the class, and he's from Arkansas
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Kevin on February 02, 2009, 07:51:58 am
confidence high
Mine too. We played two monster games early which showed we have great potential, but also raised expectations. Half of this team was riding on a "high school" bus to games last year. We will get better and become a more "complete team" next year and in the future.

I would love to have had more success by now, but with youth and a "short" bench I am satisfied. Pel is the man. He will recruit better than most and has the knowledge, discipline, and intensity we need. If things are not much improved in 2010-2011, then I will be concerned.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

The Galloping Ghost

redrazorback64

I'm not worried at the moment.  Very few teams this young are consistent, regardless of the coach.  I think this is a very talented team and Pel recruited almost all of these guys.

Now if there's no real improvement in 2 years it will be a different story, but as of today, i wouldn't trade Pel for almost anyone.

DeltaBoy

I say lay off Pel he had 6 fish starting and it will get better don't forget we beat Texas and OU in a weeks time.  Pel told us we are not talented enough to win unless we play hard.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jharwell

Quote from: jst01 on February 01, 2009, 12:11:53 pm
as of today?  the confidence level should be the same for this ENTIRE YEAR  for the reasons that have been stated over and over and over. He is playing with 6 freshmen, 4 of which get most of the playing time. Washington & Welsh are the only ones with experience and they cant do everything on their own.

Give Coach Pel 4 years starting with his first recruiting class. If Rot, Fort, and Henry graduate and we havent made a good run in the tourney or his recruiting is lacking, then maybe you can justify being down on Pel. As of now tho, you guys wanting Pel to be judged this early are showing your ignorance.

Yes why do some people seem to not get it? This guy hasnt even had a chance yet and those of us who like Hogville and are true Razorback fans cant even get online and discuss the basketball team that we love without people making silly comments about the Coach Pelphreys future. That is flat out ridiculous. If you wanna bash players or coaches find another team.
- Jason

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: jharwell on February 02, 2009, 02:15:50 pm
Yes why do some people seem to not get it? This guy hasnt even had a chance yet and those of us who like Hogville and are true Razorback fans cant even get online and discuss the basketball team that we love without people making silly comments about the Coach Pelphreys future. That is flat out ridiculous. If you wanna bash players or coaches find another team.
Where did I bash anyone.   Just asked a question.  If you're in the group that thinks he'll win big and be here for a long time, vote that way. 

Lets try this another way.  Who does anyone know who is in his second year as Pel is, lost his entire starting 5 from the previous year, losing one of those after thinking he would be available(BEV) and after recruiting season, is forced to start 2 freshmen, 1 RS freshman, a JR who has always had problems with smart decisions, and a Center who is playing out of position and none of these players have started until this year at the college level.  Now if you do know of someone in this position, what are the expectations of his team?  The folks who picked us last in the west weren't homer idiots, they looked at the facts and drew an opinion.  It seems we have several posters on here that think they can say it and it is so.  Just look at the facts.  There are 50 high schools across this Nation that could stay with this team.  We will get better because we have a coach that can coach and refuses to accept poor effort.  If we had depth right now these guys would be riding the pine half of most games due to stupid plays and poor effort.  In spite of that, we are getting more effort out of these guys than we ever got from a Stan Heath team.

ThisTeetsTaken

I find it interesting that if you throw out the two most extreme choices in the poll (gone after this year and lasting more than 10 years) the majority of people say he'll only last 4-5 years. 

hawgrunner

chiefsfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 02, 2009, 08:15:19 pm
I find it interesting that if you throw out the two most extreme choices in the poll (gone after this year and lasting more than 10 years) the majority of people say he'll only last 4-5 years. 

its hard as a coach to last longer then 5 seasons these days.  You either win like crazy and get a better job, or you dont and end up losing your own.

I think he gets until the Junior or Senior season of this current class to prove what he can do.  if by the time 2011 finishes up we are struggling, we can part ways and go find another coach.    But its imperative we give him the same amount of time we gave Heath.   Fire another coach really quickly and you begin to develop a bad reputation in the coaching ranks

ICEman

He has a good basketball pedigree.  Strong pedigrees don't always get the job done. 
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

GabeMartini

It only takes one good recruiting class to turn a basketball program around at this level, and we haven't had that yet (and won't have it) through year two. That's not good. I like Pelphrey a lot as a person, and think he has potential to be a great coach, but I'm dying a little inside every time I watch this team lose at home. If we suck next year, I don't think he'll be around for a fourth.

Acorn hog

Go Hogs :razorback: :razorback:

Oliver

I think Pelphrey is gone after his 5th year.  I don't think he ever really brings in stellar players and we'll have Heath-like success by years 4 and 5.

Mark

I think we will see how long he will last next year with this group we have and how he can mature them.

jschulte

Quote from: GabeMartini on February 04, 2009, 10:14:57 pm
It only takes one good recruiting class to turn a basketball program around at this level.

That is not true.  That might make for a good season or two... but by no means does ONE recruiting class turn around a whole basketball program -- that is ridiculous.

rlamb

It's just that we are getting our butts kicked by every other team and not being one of those on the opposite end enough.

GBoling5000

Quote from: jst01 on February 01, 2009, 12:11:53 pm

I agree with you.  Richardson had his low point, and things worked out fine.  Here's a news bulletin for some of the goofs on Hogville:  Pelphrey wants to win too, probably more than most of us.

Give him time, people.

netteltonhog

Some people amaze me.  This is Pels first year with players he can call his recruits.  He had a stellar recruiting class that turned out to have some unforeseen problems.  First, if Daniel Payne makes it to campus this would be a completely different team.  Second is the Montrell Mcdonald fiasco that wouldn't have happened if Payne makes campus anyway.  No one knew Jason Henry was going to have knee surgery mid season.  (But he is still amazing)  Pel has 6 freshmen that all get considerable playing time.  6.  I remember a couple of years ago after Florida won the National championship Donovan went through a similar season with 6 freshman.  Give up some slack.  I want this team to win as bad as anyone and it will in time.  BE PATIENT.  THINGS WILL WORK OUT IN TIME.

GO

I have no problem letting this group take their lumps while learning on the job. What I don't see in the BB program that I do see in the FB program is help on the way. Recruiting is what I am not sure Pelfrey can do year in, year out. I love his fire and grit, but I am not convinced he can recruit the type players it will take to go very deep in the NCAA. Next years class on paper doesnot impress me much. I hope I am wrong.

HawgWild

Not the worst conference record at this point in the season but tied for it. Nolan was 1 - 6 in his first year (1985 - 86) and Stan Heath was 1 - 6 in his first year as well (2002 - 03). Both teams finished 4 - 12. You'd have to go back to 1970 -71 for a worse start in conference play. We started 0 - 10 and finished 1 - 13.

hoglady

I have not lost faith in Pelphrey.
The Texas and Oklahoma win made us think we are something we're not.
I had a problem with some earlier losses where we appeared to lay down.
Last night we didn't give up and we played hard - what more do you want.
We lost a game we could have won - it's basketball.
We have a young coach with an extremely young team.
I'm willing cut both some slack and give them a chance.
We should be much improved next year.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jschulte

Quote from: HawgWild on February 05, 2009, 10:41:13 am
Not the worst conference record at this point in the season but tied for it. Nolan was 1 - 6 in his first year (1985 - 86) and Stan Heath was 1 - 6 in his first year as well (2002 - 03). Both teams finished 4 - 12. You'd have to go back to 1970 -71 for a worse start in conference play. We started 0 - 10 and finished 1 - 13.

huh? So we aren't tied for it... because tied for it would make us 0-10 in conference?

Stateline Hawg

So were expecting a immediate top flight program after losing 6 sr.s and beverly last years, having a coach agree to coach us only to leave a day later, and having to go to South Alabama to hire an up and comer. We couldn't hire a top notch coach, Self turned us down, so did calipari. We have a young guy, which i think will do great in time, but he needs time to make a name for himself, then maybe recruiting will get better.  But for immediate success, we had to get a big name guy, to get big time recruits in, that didn't happen. 

We paid Nutt middle of the pack money and thats what we averaged, middle of the pack. We wanted more than we were paying for.  So we have Petrino now, he has a higher price tag, and in return, we have our best recruiting class ever.

touchdownark

the first question shouldn't even be on the damn poll

sonichogg32

I think there is going to be alot of you having to eat crow over Pel.  He will turn this program around and will make this his home. (Providing he doesn't read these stupid posts) I can't believe some of the idiotic things that some of you guys come up with. I really hope that none of the staff or their families read these posts.  It is embarassing and probably will be the reason that he will indeed end up leaving.  Quit trying to coach  or hell if you think you are that knowledgeable go play on your playstation games and let the real coaches do their job.  JUST SHUT THE HELL UP AND SHOW SOME RESPECT.

prisonhog

I think Pel is gone in two years. I would love for him to get it going. Other than Fortson this class shows me nothing. I am not impressed with is coming in. I was not expecting a championship. I was hoping for a shot at the tourney. What I get is a loss by 20+ at home to a bad Auburn team, a loss at home to an average misstake and a drubbing by an Ole Miss team with three top players missing. At this point I do not think he is going to get it done. I hope I am wrong. 
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

chiefsfan

Quote from: prisonhog on February 05, 2009, 08:38:39 pm
I think Pel is gone in two years. I would love for him to get it going. Other than Fortson this class shows me nothing. I am not impressed with is coming in. I was not expecting a championship. I was hoping for a shot at the tourney. What I get is a loss by 20+ at home to a bad Auburn team, a loss at home to an average misstake and a drubbing by an Ole Miss team with three top players missing. At this point I do not think he is going to get it done. I hope I am wrong. 

See thats where we differ.   I expected 11-9  by the 20 game mark.  We are 13-7   By my math we are 2 games ahead of my expectations

Now I did have us 2-5 in conference instead of 1-6, so thats the major difference.   Auburn hurt