Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is your criteria for our next coach?

Started by 903hog, November 05, 2017, 11:31:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

903hog

What is your criteria for our next coach? 
What attributes are important for our next Arkansas Razorback Football Coach?

It seems like we all have our own perception as to what Arkansas needs but the conversation stops when we try to identify our next coach by name.

Here is a list of my criteria if I was in a position to make the hiring decision:

1. Proven winner at any level. Campbell and Mount Union/Toledo/Iowa State, Fleck at Western Michigan, Leach at Tech and now Washington State. These are guys who won with very little and ultimately had to create the vision and foundation underlying these programs. Also, This doesn't just apply to head coaches. Look at coordinators who have experienced success in their role in a consistent way. I also don't mind coaches like Sumlin or Gus who've shown they can run big D1 programs. These guys may have fallen on tough times recently but also fielded successful teams in the past.
2. A Tactical Advantage. Think of Georgia State with the Triple Option. Mike Leach with the Air Raid. These are offensive examples but they could very well be defensive examples as well. These niche coaches are able to compete with smaller resources because they have a competitive advantage in their scheme. Often times, this is because they can find a ATH who can run and read the front, or a mildly strong armed quarterback who can read a secondary. The reason why BP wins is because he has a specific attack and focus which permeates his recruiting, conditioning and strength training, and gameplan. Arkansas is not a premier destination. We have to find our competitive advantage through a scheme.
3.  A Recruiter. I realize Arkansas may never bet in the top 5 on the recruiting rankings, but currently we sit behind Western Michigan and above Illinois on 24/7. Arkansas is better than its ranking. I also understand these rankings may not truly reflect the player's abilities or our coaches savvy but it wasn't too long ago BP had us recruiting players from across the nation and competing with many big name Power 5 schools. These players weren't average 3 star players but players many schools wanted. We have to find a coach who can dial up our efforts to bring in the best players we can.
4. Find a coach who sees our potential.   We have a passionate fan base, a supportive alumni, competitive facilities, and a schedule which should put us on TV every week. We need to look for a coach that can see what Mullen did at Miss State and want to do that here with us. Unfortunately, nobody remembers or cares about our Sugar Bowl loss against Ohio State. We have to find a coach who wants to use our resources to catapult him to USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, etc. We don't have to go find a Frank Broyles. We need someone who can leverage all our assets into wins.

ShadowHawg

Must have built a program not inherited someone else's players and is doing good. That means been on the current post for at least 4 seasons.

Must not be dependent on great defense to be competitive.

Must be able to take advantage of rules changes that have benefitted the offensive side of the ball.

Be good at developing the qb position.

Recruiting base is small here so he must be able to evaluate and develop players.

synthartist69

High powered Petrino style offense but with a good defense.. meaning a defense that can hold opponents under 21 - 24.

Mike_e

Young up and comer with fire in his belly and won't back down from anybody.  Smartest guy in the room type guy.  Offense AND Defensive minded.  Someone who loves the state.

Somebody like Memphis has.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

jackflash

my criteria is wait and see if we have a opening

The_Iceman

Is his name Mike Norvell, Chad Morris, or Brent Venables? That's pretty much my criteria.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 06, 2017, 12:02:48 pm
Is his name Mike Norvell, Chad Morris, or Brent Venables? That's pretty much my criteria.
I could live with that.