Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Visit Trend

Started by Oklahawg, January 27, 2015, 11:03:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Y'all notice how this is working?

CBB brings in 3-5 recruits at a time. A couple are commits, often in-staters. The others are able to get the royal treatment.

Also, the flipped commits are brought in late and told to hold their public commit until after they are "sure" following the visit. Of course they will be on a post-visit high and that helps slow the counter-measures from the original school that held the commit.

An interesting shift after the Nutt era massive party of recruits, many of whom had little interest in UA but got a free trip. Or Petrino, who would bring all the in-staters in the same weekend for a "down home" event.

Now, the last weekend is used to clean up loose ends and to make sure you have a couple of back-up plans. Jackson is no back-up plan - he is the target LB from months ago. He gets a boatload of attention this weekend and that should seal the deal.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

A point I am confused on - are we still recruiting Kylan Johnson of Dallas Skyline? Is he a safety recruit or a LB recruit? If a safety recruit that we are still pursuing can you parse out the rank-order of Johnson and Scott, the safety from LA we are bringing in?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2015, 11:04:48 pm
A point I am confused on - are we still recruiting Kylan Johnson of Dallas Skyline? Is he a safety recruit or a LB recruit? If a safety recruit that we are still pursuing can you parse out the rank-order of Johnson and Scott, the safety from LA we are bringing in?
It seems like he is an afterthought for Texas Tech and us.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Oklahawg

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on January 27, 2015, 11:06:58 pm
It seems like he is an afterthought for Texas Tech and us.

Academics? Doesn't seem to small for LB...too slow for safety? Fascinating how guys have several teams go sour on them, while others become the flavor d'jour attracting tons of attention all of a sudden.

Music City Hog

We aren't bringing Scott in

Oklahawg

Pardon the self-adulation, but I like this post. Maybe it fits here?

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2015, 09:54:36 am
Gosh, no need to overthink this. Just follow along with what we DO know.

The staff made contact with hundreds of players over the past 2 years. They are well-connected with hundreds of coaches across the country. They continue to mine those contacts to see what pops up.

Do you really think that the only 4-star or 5-star athletes are those that get those designations the summer prior to their senior year? Many earned them as juniors at camps and combines. Many, of course, peak early (so to speak) and are really not a 4-star talent by the time signing day rolls around, but that is another story.

The staff is paying attention to sources who say certain recruits might be waffling, or others who might be open to UA after our season. Or, because of new coaches, etc.

The biggest thing to factor in to our prognostications and rumormongering: other schools are telling players "no", or otherwise filling up their slots. OU and Arkansas felt that Jalin Barnett was not capable of jumping outside to tackle and encouraged him to find a school that wanted him as a guard, or did feel he could move outside. Nebraska is happy with Barnett's commitment. Nebraska was NOT going to get Barnett 3 months ago. Not even a ghost of a chance.

If I have it accurately, Barnett had little interest in NU until UA went another direction. NU has recruited Lawton well (Will Shields, anyone?) in the past and mined those resources when Barnett went from a virtual UA lock to "open".

Don't obsess too hard on those stars, the coaches at UA are not. Yes, some coaches at some schools do (and they help drive the star system). The coaches are looking for players who can grow into an all-SEC player in 3-4 years. That is different than players ready to compete tomorrow in the SEC. One is not better than the other, but they are different.

UA coaches are probably enjoying this - they get a chance to swing for the fences numerous times, all in an attempt to fill one final slot in the recruiting class. Outside of the possibility of Hill's WR slot, I don't see us worrying about even a back-up plan. Tells me we are comfortable with the 21 locked up and the handful of candidates left for the final 4. Er, 3...we are using that final slot for a HR recruit that we swoop in and land late in the game.

Recruiting is very fickle - thousands viewed on film or in person, hundreds of contacts, each getting dozens of letters and phone calls. Many getting visits from coaches. Fifty-plus official visits available each year. Twenty-five LOIs per class. The odds are already low that you land a recruit.

When you are angling for that #25 kid the way we are, we will likely whiff on a LOT of players. Hey, we got Zuniga to visit! Might still see a nice defensive surprise or two this weekend (that is what I hear, but many readers of this thread won't like that). We will chase that RB and likely will scour the streets for a WR, just in case.

I like this end game better than the end game that produced a wonderful player, Malcolm Sheppard. Tracy Rocker and another UA assistant were literally going town to town in GA looking for unfound DL recruits. They would call back after every HS to see what others had found. The UA DL list that year was exhausted by November. They were starting over in December. Miraculously, we found Sheppard. I see no recruit "popping up" we haven't already looked at. We are going back over familiar territory to see who might be available.

I think that last-minute names are of this variety. Either the solid prospect that we thought was headed elsewhere, but might not be so we give it the "old college try" this last week (what with most slots sewn up, even if only 21 are known publicly). Or, a last minute find that might be worthy of a spot and few others are chasing. Maybe even one of those "bring them in on the sly" recruits that you don't want to advertise to others too much.

Maybe I'm overthinking the last weekend. I just see UA really having all bases covered and very little drama left to sort through. Well, there is THAT drama but I think fans and parents have made more of it than the recruit and CBB. If they visit, it is a very good sign.

3-4 total this weekend, at least one who commits on the visit (or maybe even publicizes a long-standing silent commit) and a couple we would entertain should a disaster hit elsewhere the final 3 days.

I like the no-drama signing day.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 27, 2015, 11:11:19 pm

Thanks, that narrows the choices even more, doesn't it? Who is actually left on the wish list?

Weathersby, Hill, K Jackson, King...

Johnson?

WBC Hog

Dang. This is a nice thread. +1

Oklahawg

RazorBassin

MissippHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2015, 11:03:30 pm
Y'all notice how this is working?

CBB brings in 3-5 recruits at a time. A couple are commits, often in-staters. The others are able to get the royal treatment.

Also, the flipped commits are brought in late and told to hold their public commit until after they are "sure" following the visit. Of course they will be on a post-visit high and that helps slow the counter-measures from the original school that held the commit.

An interesting shift after the Nutt era massive party of recruits, many of whom had little interest in UA but got a free trip. Or Petrino, who would bring all the in-staters in the same weekend for a "down home" event.

Now, the last weekend is used to clean up loose ends and to make sure you have a couple of back-up plans. Jackson is no back-up plan - he is the target LB from months ago. He gets a boatload of attention this weekend and that should seal the deal.
I really like this staff's approach to recruiting. 

Remember the days when we would bring in 20 recruits and how frustrating it was when we wouldn't get a single commit?

redeye

January 28, 2015, 12:52:05 am #11 Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:11:02 am by redeye
Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2015, 11:04:48 pm

I agree with your earlier statements and also find myself confused with Kylan.  Right now it seems like names are popping up all over the place, but I'm not sure if any amount to much.  I think it was Trey Biddy who said today that we were still working on Rayshad Jackson.  So we may not know much, but it's quite obvious that this staff is still working hard to find the right pieces.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Regarding Barnett to Nebraska you left out the most important factor to that ordeal.

Barnett was pretty high on Oregon St., he had built a relationship w/ coaches there.  Mike Riley takes the Nebraska job and the concerns about being thousands of miles from his grandparents are gone and add in OU and Arkansas dropping him down their lists as the classes filled up Nebraska became the best program for him that just happened to be fairly close to home and coaches he liked were now there.

I don't believe old Nebraska connections from coaches that are long gone were a bigger factor than Riley getting the job there.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2015, 11:15:32 pm
Thanks, that narrows the choices even more, doesn't it? Who is actually left on the wish list?

Johnson?

I'm sure we could probably get back in on King but right now he isn't an option because of numbers and has said he will stick with FAU.

3 spots we know who they are held for but that last spot seems to be a question mark for everyone.

HoggusMaximus

Weathersby just went from 41% to 57%on the crystal ball. Looks like someone knows something.

VirginiaHog

I am confident coaches know Weatberby and Jackson are committed. That only leaves 2. On will go to Hill or King if Hill signs elsewhere. So we really only have one spot. I am curious who gets it. I almost bet it is someone unexpected but a plan A guy.

WooPig90

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2015, 11:15:32 pm

Johnson?

Seems about right, except I havent heard much on Johnson lately which seems odd. Also I think maybe we are looking at Hunter Dale now instead?

JIHawg

Good point OP.  I have noticed the small number of visitors instead of a large group.  I'm thinking this is a good approach.  Anything Bielema does seems to be well thought out.

WooPig90

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 27, 2015, 11:11:19 pm

Idk about that, he just tweeted WPS

hogrocker

I don't think there are any unexpected, super-secret, Plan A studs that are gonna flip to us on signing day.  I know the last couple of years people have expected that, and been wrong for the most part.  If anything, Bielema has shown that he's not afraid to sign less than a full class.  That's not gonna make our ranking look great, but he doesn't care about that.  He's not going to waste a scholly on someone who either isn't good enough, doesn't fit our system, isn't the right kind of person, or can't cut it academically.  That may make people upset when we sign 23 guys and have a lower ranked class;  it makes me feel much more at ease than I have with prior coaches.  It seems to be working, if you look at the way we've improved.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogrocker on January 28, 2015, 09:46:23 am
I don't think there are any unexpected, super-secret, Plan A studs that are gonna flip to us on signing day.  I know the last couple of years people have expected that, and been wrong for the most part.  If anything, Bielema has shown that he's not afraid to sign less than a full class.  That's not gonna make our ranking look great, but he doesn't care about that.  He's not going to waste a scholly on someone who either isn't good enough, doesn't fit our system, isn't the right kind of person, or can't cut it academically.  That may make people upset when we sign 23 guys and have a lower ranked class;  it makes me feel much more at ease than I have with prior coaches.  It seems to be working, if you look at the way we've improved.

The ranking only counts the top 20 IIRC, so leaving one spot open wouldn't hurt our ranking. 

JaketheSnake

Is Reed a good enough WR that we leave a spot open for him to see if he qualifies?  If he doesnt, we have an extra spot for next signing class?

WooPig90

Quote from: JaketheSnake on January 28, 2015, 09:55:28 am
Is Reed a good enough WR that we leave a spot open for him to see if he qualifies?  If he doesnt, we have an extra spot for next signing class?

If he signs and doesnt qualify, his spot would still count for the class, therefore we would not have an extra spot next year. Just an extra scholarship

colbs

Quote from: JaketheSnake on January 28, 2015, 09:55:28 am
They took a chance on Treatola and it ended up working out. 

Chief Mac

Quote from: colbs on January 28, 2015, 10:21:29 am

maybe the staff thought the risk/reward was worth it for an OL vs WR given what our offensive scheme is.....maybe
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: colbs on January 28, 2015, 10:21:29 am
True; however, not all "bullets you dodge" are created equal. Don't know whether or not this is the case here, just saying..........

colbs

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 28, 2015, 11:05:29 am
True; however, not all "bullets you dodge" are created equal. Don't know whether or not this is the case here, just saying..........
Oh I agree.  I imagine it will just depend on how they feel about his chances and if they want to risk a spot. 

Oklahawg

They also thought Tretola might be able to get enrolled mid-term (take 8-week classes I guess). Then, they thought first session of summer school. Then, barely made it in August.

Reed is someone they know right now is a risk to ever get here. I think that ship has sailed.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 28, 2015, 10:12:31 am
If he signs and doesnt qualify, his spot would still count for the class, therefore we would not have an extra spot next year. Just an extra scholarship
He doesnt have to sign on signing day.  We could wait him out as long as we wanted to to see if he qualifies at the end of spring.  Dont sign him until they see his grades.  If he doesnt make the grades, he doesnt sign and we get to keep the spot for 2016

Im not saying this is happening, just an idea.

Oklahawg

Quote from: JaketheSnake on January 28, 2015, 11:38:08 am
He doesnt have to sign on signing day.  We could wait him out as long as we wanted to to see if he qualifies at the end of spring.  Dont sign him until they see his grades.  If he doesnt make the grades, he doesnt sign and we get to keep the spot for 2016

A distinct possibility.

redleg

I don't think Brandon Scott is visiting anymore.
The candidates for the last four scholies are Toby Weathersby, Kendrick Jackson, Kylan Johnson, Dominique Reed (IF his grades work out), and KJ Hill.
Johnson (6'3" 205 lbs.4.5) will be a safety in college. The coaching staff will help make him stronger and faster, although he could develop into an OLB.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

WooPig90

Quote from: redleg on January 28, 2015, 11:44:43 am
I don't think Brandon Scott is visiting anymore.
The candidates for the last four scholies are Toby Weathersby, Kendrick Jackson, Kylan Johnson, Dominique Reed (IF his grades work out), and KJ Hill.
Johnson (6'3" 205 lbs.4.5) will be a safety in college. The coaching staff will help make him stronger and faster, although he could develop into an OLB.

He tweeted WPS a few hours ago so idk he may still visit

jjdlc

That is possible, but it is a gamble for Reed, if he wants to play for a power 5, he has to get his name on an LOI before all the spots are gone, and not many are going to have spots left open. 

That said, I read something a few weeks ago that indicated that Reed couldn't possibly get SEC eligible until at least after the first summer session.  That is a long time to wait.

colbs

Didn't think about that but probably a possibility.

VirginiaHog

No. He would sign elsewhere b4 waiting on us and everyone being full.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: VirginiaHog on January 28, 2015, 02:04:36 pm
No. He would sign elsewhere b4 waiting on us and everyone being full.
Most likely.

hawginbigd1

colbs

Per RD's update it looks like Scott may visit.

Oklahawg

Not shamelessly bumping here, but really wanting to revisit the OP in light of the visits.

If Weathersby was not a silent commit wouldn't we be looking to bring in another offensive player?

If KJackson was not an AZ commit on the technicality that CBB wants you to visit before committing he'd be a Hog already. Right?

We are bringing in Scott but not Johnson? That is one safety for one (it appears) safety slot. Right?

Maybe Hill visits Saturday and Sunday, after his hoops game Friday night. He gets the final slot. But, if not, James King will get it, right?

No extra recruits being dragged along for the ride. (One is one too many, but that is another post for a slow day on HV.) 

And, for fans, a very clear message about what we think about the various talents in the class.

Steef

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2015, 08:21:27 pm

And, for fans, a very clear message about what we think about the various talents in the class.

Oklahawg

Notice, too, that is I have read the tea leaves we are choosing between KJ Hill and James King.

The in-state recruit that many obsess about, or an out-of-state LB prospect.

Tells me we like Stewart and Pettway a lot at WR.

Tells me also that King is a fine LB. How many years would we have begged for an LB of his caliber? (Hint: Most years in the SEC.)

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2015, 08:25:19 pm
Notice, too, that is I have read the tea leaves we are choosing between KJ Hill and James King.

The in-state recruit that many obsess about, or an out-of-state LB prospect.

Tells me we like Stewart and Pettway a lot at WR.

Tells me also that King is a fine LB. How many years would we have begged for an LB of his caliber? (Hint: Most years in the SEC.)

Except all the evidence doesn't say we're choosing between Hill and King.  It appears we're waiting for Hill to choose. If he doesn't choose us, then we'll choose King.

The evidence suggests our feelings about Stewart and Pettway are irrelevant regarding this matter.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JaketheSnake

WR vs LB... Not WR vs WR. Meaning we like who we have committed at WR now, but won't turn down an instater.
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 29, 2015, 08:34:43 pm
Except all the evidence doesn't say we're choosing between Hill and King.  It appears we're waiting for Hill to choose. If he doesn't choose us, then we'll choose King.

The evidence suggests our feelings about Stewart and Pettway are irrelevant regarding this matter.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on January 29, 2015, 08:39:54 pm
WR vs LB... Not WR vs WR. Meaning we like who we have committed at WR now, but won't turn down an instater.

My point is that if it were that simple, then we'd just move on and take the LB.  But we aren't.  We're waiting for Hill, because we want him, regardless of Stewart amd Pettway, but Hill may not want us.  Meanwhile, the LB waits.

But, sure, I have no doubt they like Stewart and Pettway.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 29, 2015, 08:42:13 pm
My point is that if it were that simple, then we'd just move on and take the LB.  But we aren't.  We're waiting for Hill, because we want him, regardless of Stewart amd Pettway, but Hill may not want us.  Meanwhile, the LB waits.

But, sure, I have no doubt they like Stewart and Pettway.
Thats the point being made...

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on January 29, 2015, 08:45:06 pm
Thats the point being made...

So you think we are choosing between Hill and King right now?  If so, why haven't we made that choice yet?

I'm willing to admit maybe we aren't on the same page here with the wording.

Uncommon

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 29, 2015, 08:47:05 pm
So you think we are choosing between Hill and King right now?  If so, why haven't we made that choice yet?
We're not choosing between them right now.  We've chosen to try and convince Hill to officially visit.  If we get that visit, we see what decision he makes between Alabama, Arkansas, and Ohio State.  If he chooses us, great.  If he chooses one of the other two, we make a call to Mr. King to see if he still wants to be a Hog.  If we don't get a visit this weekend, I imagine we make a quick phone call down to the 305 and give James King the green light to come aboard if he wants to.

But I think the staff has come to a consensus of taking KJ Hill over James King if both wanted to come aboard.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 29, 2015, 08:47:05 pm

I'm willing to admit maybe we aren't on the same page here with the wording.
Must be the wording.  We
Are choosing Hill, then King... But the point was we are happy with what we have at WR right now so those two get the "best available player" spot

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on January 29, 2015, 08:50:15 pm
Must be the wording.  We
Are choosing Hill, then King... But the point was we are happy with what we have at WR right now so those two get the "best available player" spot

I agree, except that this scenario somehow proves we are happy with the WR's we have right now.  Especially given we want to choose the WR over the LB for the last spot.

Again, I'm certain they're very happy with out WR commits, but this issue doesn't reflect that fact in any way.

Quote from: Uncommon on January 29, 2015, 08:50:09 pm
We're not choosing between them right now.  We've chosen to try and convince Hill to officially visit.  If we get that visit, we see what decision he makes between Alabama, Arkansas, and Ohio State.  If he chooses us, great.  If he chooses one of the other two, we make a call to Mr. King to see if he still wants to be a Hog.  If we don't get a visit this weekend, I imagine we make a quick phone call down to the 305 and give James King the green light to come aboard if he wants to.

That's exactly what I've been saying. 

bennyl08

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 28, 2015, 09:35:57 am
Idk about that, he just tweeted WPS

Head Honcho just visited him on wednesday and he's expected here this weekend. I'm not sure where he's getting that. Personally he's high on my remaining big board.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse