Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Class in Hog History...

Started by yankeefaninHOGland, January 26, 2015, 07:06:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeefaninHOGland

But still we are dead last in our division.  This is not to gripe or be negative.  I believe that we are only going up and our on the field play will greatly improve our recruiting ability in the coming years. 

The question is, where do we need to average in SEC West Ranking (247) to consistently compete for an SEC West title?

We have seen Miss. State and Ole Miss make a meteoric rise over the last few years which has translated in on the field success (for the most part).

When do you think Arkansas will have a top half ranking in the SEC West?

Music City Hog

Quote from: yankeefaninHOGland on January 26, 2015, 07:06:27 pm
But still we are dead last in our division.  This is not to gripe or be negative.  I believe that we are only going up and our on the field play will greatly improve our recruiting ability in the coming years. 

The question is, where do we need to average in SEC West Ranking (247) to consistently compete for an SEC West title?

We have seen Miss. State and Ole Miss make a meteoric rise over the last few years which has translated in on the field success (for the most part).

Never in recruiting rankings but on the field soon

ricepig

Miss St hasn't been anything special, or at least top 20 the last several years. There record this year was because of a ton of SRs and redshirt Jr's.

Bubba's Bruisers

First, MSU hasn't made a meteoric rise.  They benefited from a senior laden class.  They will fall off again next season.  OM hasn't made any meteoric rise either.  I mean we just hosed them.  Our Classes are usually close to OM and MSU, and we will never recruit like Bama, AU, LSU and A&M.  Never.

Ironically, other than Bama, the gap on the field has never been that big.  And the gap is closing fast.  Our classes are improving across all positions, but along the line of scrimmage in particular.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Razorback_Mack

2008 was our best class regardless of rankings. That's not debatable.......yet

PorkRinds

Personally I think with CBB here, if we start winning and competing in the sec west year after year, we will catch up to the heavy hitters. You Have to BECOME a heavy hitter to compete with them.

Science Fiction Greg

Start winning on the field and the recruiting rankings will rise.  It's how they work.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on January 26, 2015, 07:19:59 pm
Start winning on the field and the recruiting rankings will rise.  It's how they work.

That's not accurate.  We were top 5-10 two years in a row and recruiting rankings didn't change.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 07:16:35 pm
2008 was our best class regardless of rankings. That's not debatable.......yet

Highly debatable.. Lots of attrition.

tophawg19

no reason why we can't do as well . we will soon be pulling in some Mid West players as well. in a way we have an advantage if we can pull players out of that region . especially on defense . that region produces great LB'S each year. We are centrally located in the USA , which should allow us to sell playing time in the SEC  to Mich, Ill , Ohio, Kansas ETC . there are big cities in all these states to raid . We are already doing good in Florida and will do much better in Texas as we keep improving our recruiting staff
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

yankeefaninHOGland

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 26, 2015, 07:12:17 pm
First, MSU hasn't made a meteoric rise.  They benefited from a senior laden class.  They will fall off again next season.  OM hasn't made any meteoric rise either.  I mean we just hosed them. 
[/quote]

I meant Miss St. and Ole Miss's recruiting rankings.

ricepig

Quote from: yankeefaninHOGland on January 26, 2015, 07:30:32 pm

I meant Miss St. and Ole Miss's recruiting rankings, not on-field play.

Miss St was 20, 22, and 35, prior to this year.

regi

If you are going by rankings this is not the best class in Hog history. How old are some of you people? 2009 was a very highly ranked class, Petrino's best by far. Also, the Stoerner, Kennedy, Barrett, Flowers, Smith class was higher ranked as well. Kept HDN employed longer than he should have been. Hogs usually fall between 20-32, if you go back and research it.

Uncommon

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 26, 2015, 07:21:57 pm
That's not accurate.  We were top 5-10 two years in a row and recruiting rankings didn't change.  In fact, they got worse.
THANK YOU, BOBBY!

Science Fiction Greg

That's not accurate.  We were top 5-10 two years in a row and recruiting rankings didn't change.

Sample size.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

yankeefaninHOGland

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 07:31:47 pm
Miss St was 20, 22, and 35, prior to this year.

You are right.  I looked at last year's number at 35 to this year's ranking of 19. I never looked further back for Miss St.  My assumption that prior to last year they were always around 35 was not accurate. 

With that being said, even from 35 to 19 is a pretty significant jump.  I hope after a good 15' we can make a significant jump for next year's class.

Now Ole Miss' recruiting rise isn't debatable.  It is as meteoric as I have seen.

2012 - 47th
2013 - 8th
2014 - 15th

greenie

Plenty of factors affect recruiting, but certainly the success on the field helps to sell the program.  Petrino was a terrible recruiter (of both players and assistant coaches), nothing was going to help his recruiting.  He was able to get wins with less.  That was the magic of Petrino.  Imagine CBB's ability to recruit when he has more success (God willing). 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Well it didn't help that CBP was fired right after a Top 5 finish.

Music City Hog

Quote from: greenie on January 26, 2015, 07:43:39 pm
Plenty of factors affect recruiting, but certainly the success on the field helps to sell the program.  Petrino was a terrible recruiter (of both players and assistant coaches), nothing was going to help his recruiting.  He was able to get wins with less.  That was the magic of Petrino.  Imagine CBB's ability to recruit when he has more success (God willing). 

No argument here

Scott7703

That is because we had the worst recruiting staff of all time on the hill then.

Piggfoot

We'll be up there with the Bamas when Arkansas population explodes to about 8 million and the other SEC states remain the same.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Uncommon

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 26, 2015, 07:47:44 pm
He was there for the finish of the 2012 class, the class after the 2011 season.  Only half of that class is left with the possibility of some more attrition this offseason if Eric Hawkins goes full track and Jeremy Ward goes on medical scholarship.

PaintballHog

It'll take just 1 GREAT class. Ole Miss did it and it has paid dividends. I think this staff could pull it off.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Uncommon on January 26, 2015, 08:00:26 pm
He was there for the finish of the 2012 class, the class after the 2011 season.  Only half of that class is left with the possibility of some more attrition this offseason if Eric Hawkins goes full track and Jeremy Ward goes on medical scholarship.

Yes, but most would say that a good season tends to impact the next class more than that current seasons

Uncommon

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 26, 2015, 08:07:21 pm
Yes, but most would say that a good season tends to impact the next class more than that current seasons
Ok.  We went to a BCS bowl the year before that.  Still resulted in a less than impressive 2012 class.

MissippHog

Quote from: yankeefaninHOGland on January 26, 2015, 07:42:44 pm
Now Ole Miss' recruiting rise isn't debatable.  It is as meteoric as I have seen.

2012 - 47th
2013 - 8th
2014 - 15th
That's the good thing about trying to prove your point.  You can select certain years while ignoring others.
2011 - 20th
2010 - 23rd
2009 - 19th
Ole Miss's "rise" wasn't nearly as "meteoric" as you make them out to be.  They've always recruited well in a state with good talent. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 08:06:41 pm
It'll take just 1 GREAT class. Ole Miss did it and it has paid dividends. I think this staff could pull it off.

Care to explain how it paid dividends at Ole Miss? Which program is trending up.....Hogs or Rebels?
What exactly have they won?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 26, 2015, 07:22:42 pm
Highly debatable.. Lots of attrition.
Not debatable at all. It's about winning football games and producing nfl talent. 2008 was easily the best. With a mediocre coach in 2012 they would've limped to 8-9 wins. With a good coach 10+. In recruiting rankings history it's by far the best class.

Razorback_Mack

Some can get them, some can coach them. The great ones can do both.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 26, 2015, 07:47:44 pm

And after he signed his class
This is my non-signature signature.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 26, 2015, 08:18:22 pm
And after he signed his class
And I'll blame him whenever he shows an ineptitude to win football games. That dude could win with the little giants. Which makes him a good coach, if he could get the upper caliber talent he would be a great coach.

redeye

I think the best answer is that it depends on the strength of the SEC West from year to year.  We've been recruiting well enough to win the division and already have done it a few times.  If last year's team was just a little better (e.g. placekicking), we may have won it last year.  But if the SEC West champion is good enough to win the national championship, which it wasn't last year, then we'll need to recruit a little better.

Quote from: yankeefaninHOGland

In recruiting?  Might not happen for a while.  Just look at the teams and their advantages.

We probably haven't had a better class then LSU in well over a decade, if ever since joining the SEC.  We've only had 1 or 2 that were better then Alabama and that was before Saban.  Auburn has consistently recruited better and so has A&M, except while they were down and still in the Big 12.  Now the Mississippi schools are tearing it up and the thing is that every one of those schools has a big advantage over Arkansas with recruiting in their location.

If we can consistently bring in top-20 classes, we'll consistently have a shot at winning the SEC West.  But to win the national championship and beat other SEC West national championship contenders, we'll likely need to add a top-10 class here or there, as well.  At least some that are close.

Razorback_Mack

January 26, 2015, 08:39:43 pm #32 Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:26:33 pm by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: redeye on January 26, 2015, 08:29:36 pm
I think the best answer is that it depends on the strength of the SEC West from year to year.  We've been recruiting well enough to win the division and already have done it a few times.  If last year's team was just a little better (e.g. placekicking), we may have won it last year.  But if the SEC West champion is good enough to win the national championship, which it wasn't last year, then we'll need to recruit a little better.

In recruiting?  Might not happen for a while.  Just look at the teams and their advantages.

We probably haven't had a better class then LSU in well over a decade, if ever since joining the SEC.  We've only had 1 or 2 that were better then Alabama and that was before Saban.  Auburn has consistently recruited better and so has A&M, except while they were down and still in the Big 12.  Now the Mississippi schools are tearing it up and the thing is that every one of those schools has a big advantage over Arkansas with recruiting in their location.

If we can consistently bring in top-20 classes, we'll consistently have a shot at winning the SEC West.  But to win the national championship and beat other SEC West national championship contenders, we'll likely need to add a top-10 class here or there, as well.  At least some that are close.
Just pure garbage. In 2010 we had the ability to win every football game. Our starting qb went down on the road at Auburn and we had an epic collapse with Bama. Auburn won't the NC. Anybody whose ever watched a football game knows we were good enough to beat everybody we played that year and Auburn who won the NC.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 08:39:43 pm
Just pure garbage. In 2010 we had the ability to win every football game. Our starting qb went down on the road at Auburn and we had an epic collapse with Bama. Auburn won't the NC. Anybody whose ever watched a football game knows we were good enough to beat everybody we played that year and Oregon who won the NC.
Oregon won the NC that year?

Uncommon

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 26, 2015, 08:43:02 pm
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 26, 2015, 08:43:02 pm

Shh.....don't stop him, he's on a roll.......

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 08:45:26 pm
Auburn....obvious typo get over yourself.

Razorback_Mack

Just be quiet. It was a simple mistake. Just so obtuse

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 08:47:23 pm
Auburn....obvious typo get over yourself.

A typo is smell instead of small, lighten up and take it like a man!

(notOM)Rebel123

"What the f---happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives......."

redeye

Just pure garbage. In 2010 we had the ability to win every football game. Our starting qb went down on the road at Auburn and we had an epic collapse with Bama. Auburn won't the NC. Anybody whose ever watched a football game knows we were good enough to beat everybody we played that year and Oregon who won the NC.

I mostly agree with you.  I was just speaking in general.  But the thing is that we didn't win the SEC West that year.  In fact, we lost 3 games that year, which you might wanna attribute some to cheating, but we still lost 3 games.

Also, Petrino uses a system that doesn't require as much talent, but it's also a system that struggles to beat teams that maximize their talent advantage, similar to what Bielema's teams do.  Regardless of whether you agree, we don't have that system anymore and likely never will.  For all his faults, Petrino is an offensive genius and I'm not sure anyone compares to him in that regard, but he doesn't coach for Arkansas anymore.  And I'm thankful for that.

I should have also mentioned another great advantage we have with Bielema.  We've had a lot of problems with attrition over the years and that's gotten much better under Bielema.  This will help us build quality depth and create competition for playing time.  Even if we recruit no better then we have in the past, this should be a great help to future teams and competing for the SEC West title.

Bubba's Bruisers

Sure, we had the ability to beat anybody that year, but we didn't have the ability to beat everybody.  There's a huge difference.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 08:48:45 pm
Just be quiet. It was a simple mistake. Just so obtuse

Warden Samuel Norton was "obtuse". Just make sure what you post is accurate.
"Oregon who won the NC" is not a typo. "Oregon who won the NB" is a typo.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 08:49:27 pm
A typo is smell instead of small, lighten up and take it like a man!
I'm good brother

yankeefaninHOGland

Quote from: redeye on January 26, 2015, 08:29:36 pm

Thanks for actually answering the questions that I had. It was the purpose for the thread.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 26, 2015, 08:53:39 pm
Warden Samuel Norton was "obtuse". Just make sure what you post is accurate.
"Oregon who won the NC" is not a typo. "Oregon who won the NB" is a typo.
I recant my statement. Oregon did win cause cam got paid. Not a typo!

RunHogruN

It's not all about the rankings. Yes, I know that it's been said many a times already, but with consistent recruiting by CBB.  I am confident that CBB and his staff will develop these young men to the caliber of those playing for the top tier SEC teams.  Just look at the product on the field this past season.  Assuming that Rob Smith stays a few more years. The development of the defense has improved light years last season and this is with a relatively the same defensive players from 2 seasons ago minus a few. 

The recruits CBB is bringing in now are the same recruits the big "DAWGS" are recruiting all be it that they aren't as highly rated as the 5* stars some are bringing in.  I do believe that the guys he is now recruiting is building a great foundation for the future. 
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

WarPig88

Greenie fits you.

CBB has yet to have a class rated as highly as Petrino's top class here. We did have a bad class under Petrino, but the rest were either as highly or more highly rated than CBB's so far.

I like the way we are recruiting right now, but it really isn't historic by any measure as of yet.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 09:00:24 pm
I recant my statement. Oregon did win cause cam got paid. Not a typo!

No, Oregon didn't win the BCS Title. Sorry.