Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People forget that...

Started by Busta_Nutt, November 07, 2017, 02:39:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

steveaustin69

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 11:03:16 am
They aren't saying that to excuse BB.   They are saying that crap in a pathetic attempt to protect Jeff Long, for this hire, and his next failed hire.

The trolls saying all this nonsense are not Hog fans, they are Jeff Long minions.  We CANNOT get better until the snake, Jeff Long. is gone.

As a whole the Arkansas Athletic Department is the healthiest and strongest it has ever been. Why do you think Jeff Long is the problem?  Bielema has clearly failed, and in a vacuum probably should have been fired weeks ago. 

The thing is, this isn't  a vacuum; there are many things to consider when moving on from a coach as has been discussed herein. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 08, 2017, 11:03:36 am
You can hate the statement all you'd like, but it still doesn't change the fact that Arkansas will more than likely be competing against 5 SEC schools that are arguably better jobs, either because of location and the talent that comes with the territory, or current state of the program. Why wouldn't you ride this out and, heaven forbid, if we are in the same state next year, Arkansas becomes a top available SEC job.

There is no guarantee that we will be the only opening next year. Lsu may crap the bed, auburn may keep gus another year, etc. One of the favorites for the position clearly has the fan base and media in Memphis thinking he really wants the head hog job. Say what you want about him, but you can't say he isn't one of the top coaching prospects in the country. He is near the top of almost every list. It's not every year there is a guy that has arkansas ties and is a top coach and wants the job comes along. I would argue that this is the best time for a coaching change.

Ex-Trumpet

You can hate the statement all you'd like, but it still doesn't change the fact that Arkansas will more than likely be competing against 5 SEC schools that are arguably better jobs, either because of location and the talent that comes with the territory, or current state of the program. Why wouldn't you ride this out and, heaven forbid, if we are in the same state next year, Arkansas becomes a top available SEC job.

There's always gonna be HC openings in the SEC.  Gonna be one at UCLA and USC in the not too distant future, too, maybe Stanford as well.  And, there will be others that you will view as more attractive than UA.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

KennyForAD

LMAO.   You minions are getting funnier by the minute.   Can you imagine how empty the stadium would be next year is Burt is still here?   It would literally just be family members attending.

1highhog

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 07, 2017, 02:39:46 pm
Frank Beamer never won more than 6 games in his first six seasons at VT, including 4 losing seasons, before turning that program into a national power. I know we're quick to blame CBB, but should we simply chalk this season up as an inexperienced team riddled with injuries?

Look Bret, you can come on Hogville and make up as many fake aliases you want to but you're not going to change anyone's mind about the fact that you need to hit the road as soon as this season ends.

KennyForAD

Quote from: 1highhog on November 08, 2017, 11:15:09 am
Look Bret, you can come on Hogville and make up as many fake aliases you want to but you're not going to change anyone's mind about the fact that you need to hit the road as soon as this season ends.

+1  But its Jeffie, not Burt.

RME

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 08, 2017, 11:12:29 am
Please, please, ask that question again!  People just don't realize how big of poop holes these places are!

Then why do those schools, save for possibly Mississippi State, out-recruit us every year no matter who the coach is/what their record is?

If you folks really, truly believe that a town itself (more than any other factor) turns recruits off, you can't be helped.

If recruits based where they went to school solely on the town in which a college is in, we should be landing every 5* recruit. But we don't. So that argument is absolutely dead.

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 11:16:14 am
Then why do those schools, save for possibly Mississippi State, out-recruit us every year no matter who the coach is/what their record is?

If you folks really, truly believe that a town itself (more than any other factors) turns recruits off, you can't be helped.

If recruits based where they went to school solely on the town in which a college is in, we should be landing every 5* recruit. But we don't. So that argument is absolutely dead.

Stop it! He's already dead!

code red

Frank Beamer never won more than 6 games in his first six seasons at VT, including 4 losing seasons, before turning that program into a national power. I know we're quick to blame CBB, but should we simply chalk this season up as an inexperienced team riddled with injuries?
VT was never a national power.  They did however take advantage of a time period where the SEC was down with a sanctioned Alabama.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

steveaustin69

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 11:16:09 am
+1  But its Jeffie, not Burt.

Again, why do you think the problem is Long?

jst01

If recruits based where they went to school solely on the town in which a college is in, we should be landing every 5* recruit.

How come?  Based on Fayetteville?

Ex-Trumpet

If you folks really, truly believe that a town itself (more than any other factor) turns recruits off, you can't be helped.

Recruits follow coaches and winners.  UA track program is proof.  And, I'd say OU is proof as well!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

tbhogfan

The teams who have been kicking our butts all year have the same issues that we do.  Seniors roll off, players get hurt. 

Winning coaches still win. 
Go Hogs!

RME

Quote from: jst01 on November 08, 2017, 11:19:58 am
How come?  Based on Fayetteville?

According to these guys, yeah.

Their argument of "you've never been to College Station/Starkville/Auburn, so why would any recruit wanna go there?!?!?!" makes Fayetteville out to be the greatest college town in the world and should be a Mecca for all 5* recruits.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 11:22:01 am

Their argument of "you've never been to College Station/Starkville/Auburn" etc. makes Fayetteville out to be the greatest college town in the world and should be a Mecca for all 5* recruits.

Good grief, you can't take a pop shot at any opposing team anymore without someone taking it seriously...

RME

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 08, 2017, 11:23:12 am
Good grief, you can't take a pop shot at any opposing team anymore without someone taking it seriously...

Forgive me if I missed your sarcasm in that post, but there are people here who actually use that argument when talking about recruiting.

If I swung and missed, I apologize. Has happened before and will happen again.

steveaustin69

Quote from: code red on November 08, 2017, 11:19:03 am
VT was never a national power.  They did however take advantage of a time period where the SEC was down with a sanctioned Alabama.

Finished in AP Top 15 6 times in a decade with four conference championships means you are a national power in my book.  If we want to split that out into a two decade time frame that statement looks even worse.

Wildhog

Every coach is Beamer.  Every walk-on is Burlsworth.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 11:24:08 am
Forgive me if I missed your sarcasm in that post, but there are people here who actually use that argument when talking about recruiting.

If I swung and missed, I apologize. Has happened before and will happen again.

oldhawg

Their argument of "you've never been to College Station/Starkville/Auburn, so why would any recruit wanna go there?!?!?!" makes Fayetteville out to be the greatest college town in the world and should be a Mecca for all 5* recruits.

I would compare Fayetteville to places like Blacksburg, VA, or Clemson, SC, or South Bend, IN, and others.

Dropkick

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 08, 2017, 10:50:28 am
You can't be serious to think that Arkansas is a better job than TAMU and Auburn, right? Must I remind you what the great Lou Holtz said? "Fayetteville is not the end of the earth, but you can see it from there."
Pretty sure Lou said that about Lubbock...........................

jst01

ahh yeah, true.  San Diego State would be the mecca in that case.

LJHOG

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 08, 2017, 11:24:44 am
Finished in AP Top 15 6 times in a decade with four conference championships means you are a national power in my book.  If we want to split that out into a two decade time frame that statement looks even worse.

Rankings are largely based on records. 

http://thebiglead.com/2016/07/21/ranking-the-most-overrated-college-football-programs-of-last-decade/

http://www.tiptop25.com/overrated_ap_poll_era.html

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/834820-college-football-the-most-overrated-programs-in-the-country

VT football is a fraud.  Promoted by ESPN because VT willingly helped them build their weeknight broadcasts. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: LJHOG on November 08, 2017, 11:35:22 am
VT is not a national power.

Now? No. During Beamer's heydey? Yes. Do you have to be current Bama or late 90s/early 2000s Miami to be considered a national power?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 11:35:51 am
Rankings are largely based on records. 

http://thebiglead.com/2016/07/21/ranking-the-most-overrated-college-football-programs-of-last-decade/

http://www.tiptop25.com/overrated_ap_poll_era.html

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/834820-college-football-the-most-overrated-programs-in-the-country

VT football is a fraud.  Promoted by ESPN because VT willingly helped them build their weeknight broadcasts.

8 straight ten win seasons. Won 10+ in 11 of 13.  Man, that's wildly overrated. Everyone knows if you win ten games but finish 10th in the AP when preseason you were 8th your season is a failure. My mistake

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 08, 2017, 11:38:35 am
Now? No. During Beamer's heydey? Yes. Do you have to be current Bama or late 90s/early 2000s Miami to be considered a national power?

The one season with Vick? 

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 08, 2017, 11:41:11 am
8 straight ten win seasons. Won 10+ in 11 of 13.  Man, that's wildly overrated. Everyone knows if you win ten games but finish 10th in the AP when preseason you were 8th your season is a failure. My mistake

Who did the wins come against? 

This is a typical VT season. 

Good win over WV.
Delaware
East Carolina
Old Dominion
Dominated at home by Clemson
BC
UNC
Duke
Dominated by Miami

@GT
Pitt
@UVa

Will likely finish 9-3 or 10-2 with best win being over WV while the two really good teams they played, they weren't competitive enough to have a chance.  That will get them the nice ranking which impresses you. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog-Corleone

And it still doesn't change the fact that at every opening from Danny Ford on, we hired or attracted some pretty highly thought of coaches.  And i guarentee you there were openings across the country that would be considered more attractive job opportunities than Arkansas at the times.  If a highly sought after coach by us goes to Florida after this season, odds are that same guy still won't be available next year.  They are still out of the pool of available coaches, and we will be competing against other top teams next year, some in the SEC possibly, some not.  That is the fallacy of the argument. 

Personally, after this year, i think our facilities will be better than some of the schools listed, especially Florida.  It is getting harder and harder to recruit there just because of that. 

I just don't believe in the mantra "We can't afford to take the risk of changing coaches because of what other institutions are doing."  The truth is we can't afford not to.  the argument that Bret Bielema is the right guy for the job is a better argument than this.  (It is still wrong, but a better argument.)
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Hogman_33

This guy is a troll and its obvious at this point. He can't really think Miss St. is really a better job than Arkansas.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 11:46:28 am
The one season with Vick? 

Who did the wins come against? 

This is a typical VT season. 

Good win over WV.
Delaware
East Carolina
Old Dominion
Dominated at home by Clemson
BC
UNC
Duke
Dominated by Miami

@GT
Pitt
@UVa

Will likely finish 9-3 or 10-2 with best win being over WV while the two really good teams they played, they weren't competitive enough to have a chance.  That will get them the nice ranking which impresses you.

1. You can only play who is on your schedule.

2. Dominated by Miami? 1995-2005 VT won 7 of 10.  The three Miami won were 2000-2002, which includes some of the most talented college football teams of all time.  The scores to those games?  '00: 41-21 '01: 26-24 '02: 56-45.  Guess you just have a different and I would argue incorrect definition of the word dominate.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Hogman_33 on November 08, 2017, 11:58:39 am
This guy is a troll and its obvious at this point. He can't really think Miss St. is really a better job than Arkansas.

I said that with the state of the current program at Miss St. and their recent success, a case could be made that MSST is a better job than Arkansas. They have gone to a bowl game in 7 consecutive seasons, winning 5 of said bowls. In 6 of those 7 seasons they had a Top 25 ranking at some point in the season, including a #1 ranking in 2014. So, yes, currently MSST could be considered a better job than Arkansas.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 08, 2017, 12:00:11 pm
1. You can only play who is on your schedule.

2. Dominated by Miami? 1995-2005 VT won 7 of 10.  The three Miami won were 2000-2002, which includes some of the most talented college football teams of all time.  The scores to those games?  '00: 41-21 '01: 26-24 '02: 56-45.  Guess you just have a different and I would argue incorrect definition of the word dominate.

2.  This season.  Miss those words? 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 12:48:32 pm

2.  This season.  Miss those words?

The original post is about Beamer. If you don't think Beamer's program was a national power, then I cannot help you or reason with you.  Records are records and stats are stats, and, buddy, they do not lie.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 08, 2017, 12:52:58 pm
The original post is about Beamer. If you don't think Beamer's program was a national power, then I cannot help you or reason with you.  Records are records and stats are stats, and, buddy, they do not lie.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1354917-virginia-tech-football-hokies-fans-justified-in-craving-change

"The last decade of Hokie football is best described as overrated mediocrity masked by occasional ACC Championships and big-game losses.

But, wait, Virginia Tech currently holds the top streak of consecutive 10-win seasons, right?

So what.

Nick Saban nor Les Miles would trade BCS National Championship trophies for that distinction.

BCS victories and spotlight wins make elite programs. In that respect, Virginia Tech has been found wanting."

"A 31-7 domination of No. 2 Miami in 2003 certainly was a big win, but represents Beamer's only win against a team ranked in the top five of the Associated Press poll."

Beamer may be gone but VT is still the same.  Overrated mediocrity and big-game losses this season. 

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hawganatic on November 07, 2017, 03:07:33 pm
We sucked before the injuries, and he's had five years to build this team, so the inexperience is because he's underrecruited and undercoached.

Yep. Big difference between measurable progresss and the exercise in futility that this year (and last!) has been.

Quote from: hawganatic on November 07, 2017, 03:07:33 pm
Nice try though.  Must be a millenial.  Nothing is ever anybody's fault...

Oh go violate yourself with a broom handle.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 12:57:01 pm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1354917-virginia-tech-football-hokies-fans-justified-in-craving-change

"The last decade of Hokie football is best described as overrated mediocrity masked by occasional ACC Championships and big-game losses.

But, wait, Virginia Tech currently holds the top streak of consecutive 10-win seasons, right?

So what.

Nick Saban nor Les Miles would trade BCS National Championship trophies for that distinction.

BCS victories and spotlight wins make elite programs. In that respect, Virginia Tech has been found wanting."

"A 31-7 domination of No. 2 Miami in 2003 certainly was a big win, but represents Beamer's only win against a team ranked in the top five of the Associated Press poll."

Beamer may be gone but VT is still the same.  Overrated mediocrity and big-game losses this season.

If ten wins a year and consistently ranked is mediocrity than sign me up, bud.

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 08, 2017, 01:04:46 pm

We had that in 2010 and 2011 but Jeff Long couldn't stand it that a head coach he did not want was more popular than he was.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on November 08, 2017, 01:04:46 pm

Arkansas football under Hatfield '85-89.  What VT became under Beamer. 

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on November 08, 2017, 01:14:11 pm
We had that in 2010 and 2011 but Jeff Long couldn't stand it that a head coach he did not want was more popular than he was.

Aaaaand there he is flying in from left field and taking the conversation about VT being a national powerhouse into a completely different direction.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 01:16:47 pm
Arkansas football under Hatfield '85-89.  What VT became under Beamer.

Are you saying we were not a national power in those years?  If so, I don't know what to tell you: back to back conference championships coupled w top 15 finishes is pretty impressive. If not, thank you for proving my point.

Hogman_33

Arkansas has been and always will be considered a better job than Miss St. They got lucky with Dan Mullen. Once leaves for Florida they become irrelevant again.

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 08, 2017, 12:44:19 pm
I said that with the state of the current program at Miss St. and their recent success, a case could be made that MSST is a better job than Arkansas. They have gone to a bowl game in 7 consecutive seasons, winning 5 of said bowls. In 6 of those 7 seasons they had a Top 25 ranking at some point in the season, including a #1 ranking in 2014. So, yes, currently MSST could be considered a better job than Arkansas.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: GuvHog on November 08, 2017, 01:14:11 pm

Exactly! Which is why he turned around and hired one of the most likable head coaches in college football in Bret Bielema...

razorbackred1

REALLY!!!!!

island hog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 11:03:16 am
They aren't saying that to excuse BB.   They are saying that crap in a pathetic attempt to protect Jeff Long, for this hire, and his next failed hire.

The trolls saying all this nonsense are not Hog fans, they are Jeff Long minions.  We CANNOT get better until the snake, Jeff Long. is gone.
I have never seen anyone have a hard on for Long like you do...  you could take a thread about golf and turn it into a hate Long post... amazing work

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: island hog on November 08, 2017, 07:12:16 pm
  I have never seen anyone have a hard on for Long like you do...  you could take a thread about golf and turn it into a hate Long post... amazing work

I hate Long approach shots.

Joe-T

OK
I'll take Beamer 😜👍🏼

cram224

You know a guy named Michael Vick showed up on his door step. I know that Michael Vick is not showing up for us next year.

Pig Power

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 07, 2017, 06:09:15 pm
Ahhh, I thought that was actually FOX UN-NEWS!
Nope.. CNN = Little League News

HogFoo

As soon as I read the OP I just skipped all and went right to response.  Sorry, Bert needs to leave, be fired or resign.  Ling does too, but he's the one that came up and offered the tidbit about the contract buyout not being so much.  He did that and threw Bert under the bus in order to save his job.  And unfortunately he may have depending on who you hear from. Ive heard both are gone, ive heard only Bert, ive even heard there is an outside chance that if Bert miraculously wins out including a bowl game he is coming back next season. But, oline coach and linebacker coach are not coming back.  Anyways. I dont know. I really dont see anyway we win another game let alone winning 4 in a row!  There's just no way.  I will never root for the Hogs to lose. I will actually be hoping they win every game, but I know we won't.  The last 2 games have been perfect for me.  Wins But feel like losses. I don't think we'll be so lucky over the next 3 games.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............