Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gun Safes

Started by onebadrubi, November 28, 2017, 03:34:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

What does everyone have as a gun safe?  It's time for me to upgrade.

kodiakisland

Depends what you want.  Do you just need more room , true theft protection, safe from kids, etc.

You get what you pay for in safes. Most offer very little true protection.  TL-15 or TL-30 ratings are the good safes.  My next safe will be an AMSEC or Graffunder.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

onebadrubi

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 28, 2017, 04:11:26 pm
Depends what you want.  Do you just need more room , true theft protection, safe from kids, etc.

You get what you pay for in safes. Most offer very little true protection.  TL-15 or TL-30 ratings are the good safes.  My next safe will be an AMSEC or Graffunder.

I looked at a Browning with a TL 30 ranking the other day.  Holy smokes was that thing a chit brick house.  Not looking for something that severe. 

Looking to upgrade over the current metal shoe box being used.  Something with some fire protection, large enough to keep more things than a few guns (also have an in home safe already for personal items).  Fire rating is not a huge factor to me because it will be kept in the garage to where if a fire were to happen it wouldn't be the hottest part. 

kodiakisland

Fire ratings are mostly speculative at best.  A TL-15 is still a very good safe.  Just bolt it to the floor or wall. It's suprisingly easy to move a safe, especially in the garage.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

onebadrubi

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 28, 2017, 08:00:34 pm
Fire ratings are mostly speculative at best.  A TL-15 is still a very good safe.  Just bolt it to the floor or wall. It's suprisingly easy to move a safe, especially in the garage.

It will absolutely be anchored to the floor using chemical anchors. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Cannon 64-gun safe. About to move it to the garage with a good dehumidifier.
This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

Buy the best you can afford and Build it into your garage.  We enclosed one with 6 layers of Sheetrock on the sides and on top then filled the front opening with a fire rated Steel 48 inch door in a steel frame.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.