Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 09:16:15 pm
This exactly.

Chavis is exactly the person to do that.

Until someone comes up with an exotic defense that shuts down these trick or treat, peek-a-boo offenses this is the best we can hope for.
there isnt one. it's the triple option but spread wide and long. all of the field is spaced; basketball on grass. Only way to defend it is aggressive man-to-man. You get the quick stop or turnover, or you get beat. Either way, the defense gets off the field, tho....

I agree that Chavis would be solid. Bend but dont break SUCKS when paired w/ the spread.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HOGKING

If it is him it would be nice if they would just announce it already.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HOGKING on December 11, 2017, 09:19:51 pm
If it is him it would be nice if they would just announce it already.
they have reasons..
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

thebignasty

This exactly.

Until someone comes up with an exotic defense that shuts down these trick or treat, peek-a-boo offenses this is the best we can hope for.

Between the ways in which rules are evolving and the way offense has changed,  I don't think this is a direction the game will go in.

To me, effective defense now is all about winning your team more possessions.  The offenses are going to move the ball and score.

hogfooey

Guys, you act like Arkansas' D is going to be on the field the whole game.  CCM's offense average TOP this year was 29:32.  That's less than a minute difference from the opponent. 

http://smumustangs.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Atlhogfan1

This exactly.

You have to recruit the personnel to do it. Only a small % are capable of getting that kind of combination of length athleticism and versatility.  I'm not sure a program trying to focus recruiting on spread disease infected Texas will be able to do it. 

I do agree with the idea a vet like Chavis could be valuable to what looks like may be an inexperienced staff.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogfooey on December 11, 2017, 09:22:40 pm
Guys, you act like Arkansas' D is going to be on the field the whole game.  CCM's offense average TOP this year was 29:32.  That's less than a minute difference from the opponent. 

http://smumustangs.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

111th in opponents plays per game. Out of the SEC only Mizzou and OM were worse.   All spread offense teams.  Good luck with 75-80 plays and an Arkansas defense.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 09:19:45 pm
there isnt one. it's the triple option but spread wide and long. all of the field is spaced; basketball on grass. Only way to defend it is aggressive man-to-man. You get the quick stop or turnover, or you get beat. Either way, the defense gets off the field, tho....

I agree that Chavis would be solid. Bend but dont break SUCKS when paired w/ the spread.

See, that is the trick.

We played the bend don't break defense...and broke often.

It is my opinion, and only my opinion, that you have to attack, attack, attack this type of offense.  Blitz, run blitz, don't give the qb time to hold the ball and read the end without any threat of getting popped.  Make teams beat you deep.  Play bump and run on the edges.  Create turn overs. 

Those games will be track meets more times than not though.  I just don't like that kind of football.  It looks like we are going that way though.
Retired Radio Host

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:30:28 pm
Honestly, though, I think Chavis is past his prime, and not at all convinced he could do well here.  I just hope we don't break the bank on him.
Typical
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HOGKING

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 08:35:36 pm
Didn't say that.  Read all the posts in this thread.  I don't care about the ancient Arkansas defenses Beano.  In our SEC era it has been infrequent and gotten worse as the spread has taken over. 

Chavis has had 2 great D.C. jobs where many coaches would have had success.

The spread has nothing to do with Arkansas's poor defenses of the last 10 years, but keep making stuff up as you go.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HOGKING

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 09:21:21 pm
they have reasons..

Is it because of someone he is trying to bring with him?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 09:30:08 pm
The spread has nothing to do with Arkansas's poor defenses of the last 10 years, but keep making stuff up as you go.

Lack of talent has played the biggest role.  Some of the spreads have made it worse.  We've needed weak opponent qb play to have a chance at success.

SemperFi

Some of you make it sound like age is a detriment. Tell Dick Lebeau that age matters. If John Chavis has as much desire as he does knowledge of the game then we need him at Arkansas.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

wreckshop82

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 01:45:06 pm
... and not too many NFL difference makers at Arkansas on D.

Tell that to the patriots defensive line.

rtr

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 09:30:08 pm
You are right and we have never run the spread at Arkansas.  Nutt and Petrino's teams were better at downhill running than Bielema's ever was. The disconnect is vast here.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

PorkRinds

Quote from: SemperFi on December 11, 2017, 09:32:05 pm
Some of you make it sound like age is a detriment. Tell Dick Lebeau that age matters. If John Chavis has as much desire as he does knowledge of the game then we need him at Arkansas.

I can see the value of the wise old sage coming in to keep the young guns from getting their heads too far in the clouds.

qbrew

Quote from: thebignasty on December 11, 2017, 09:12:46 pm
lol, I would be excited about a Chavis hire, but a guy who cut his teeth at Tennessee with Fulmer and made his career with the ** ball control offenses at LSU wanting to be a part of/understanding  a hurry up spread program any more than guys who came up in hurry up spread is not strong logic.

LSU didn't have much of an offense at all for a while, their defense not only was in the field alot, but scored alot of the points.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: wreckshop82 on December 11, 2017, 09:33:48 pm

2 players over how many years? 

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on December 11, 2017, 09:34:17 pm
You are right and we have never run the spread at Arkansas.  Nutt and Petrino's teams were better at downhill running than Bielema's ever was. The disconnect is vast here.

Not our offenses. Opposing offenses.

Atlhogfan1

thebignasty

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:38:23 pm
Pats have more Hogs on d line?

Wise and Flowers are the only two who have caught on.  Bequette spent a few years there, though.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:38:23 pm
Pats have more Hogs on d line?
sorry 3 years.  Drafted flowers in 2015 and Wise in 2017.

that is 2 Dline in 3 years

per your question

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:36:41 pm
2 players over how many years? 
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: thebignasty on December 11, 2017, 09:39:28 pm
Wise and Flowers are the only two who have caught on.  Bequette spent a few years there, though.

Not much.  See what our competition has produced. 

lakecityhog

Ok, just so you all know I am not drinking the kool-aide with this hire. I am in the "let's see what he actually does" camp before I anoint him as a great coach.

But, in fairness I like to at least be informed before making decisions. MANY of you are making a rash decision with Chavis. First, he is without a doubt a very good DC. Second, based on 3 seasons of history with SMU, he will NOT have to worry about TOP! His D won't be on the field for an inordinate amount of time.
2017 SMU TOP 29:32 avg per game
2016 SMU TOP 30:38 avg per game
2105 SMU TOP 31:24 avg per game

Getting off the field is totally on HIM! If he can get a few 3-n-outs his D should get plenty of rest.
The number of plays run by your opponent has absolutely zero to do with your offense! Get a stop and they only get 3 plays and a punt.

Defenses don't get gassed from 3 to 5 play series, defenses get gassed from 10 to 14 play drives! Getting a sack or a turn-over or a plain old 3-n-out and the D gets the punt and normally at least 3 plays and another punt to rest or basically as much time on the bench as on the field. If Chavis can get us into the top 30 or 40 on sacks that alone will help the D get more rest.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on December 11, 2017, 09:36:04 pm
To me that's an aggressive 3-3-5 which has been run (West Virginia, New Mexico, San Diego State and the University of Arizona) as a base collegiate defense and in packages by the like of Ohio State and Alabama.  In fact, although spread teams are still having success in the Big12, I can't wait for the day 10/12 teams are running light hybrid defenses and someone like Iowa State mans up in a pro set and spends three years winning nine games by dominating finesse teams.

Unfortunately, there'll never be enough teams in the SEC running finesse offenses -- okay, "never" is wrong, let's go with highly unlikely -- for there to be a wholesale switch in conference defensive philosophy.  So, unless there's something like 1995 Joe Lee Dunn lightening in a bottle, I think we're just going to give up some points: you can't defend every form of available offense.

1. Conservative death by a thousand cuts, bend but don't break, Tampa Two.
2. Hyper aggressive, "all in," Joe Lee Dunn/Rocky Long.

You can get beat either way, it's about execution.

This was one of the reasons I mentioned Joe Lee Dunn earlier.  He kind of made the 3-3-5 famous.  He played a minnow bucket defense.  Players would hover around the line, some of them down, some of the standing up, moving, switching, no way for the offense to pre-read the defense.  That kind of mindset must be brought back to cause these offenses to slow down and think.  Again, just my opinion.
Retired Radio Host

rtr

Byron and DD Jones?  Did they get drafted.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 09:40:22 pm
sorry 3 years.  Drafted flowers in 2015 and Wise in 2017.

that is 2 Dline in 3 years

Throw in Philon.  We have produced very few. 

hogfooey

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:26:31 pm
111th in opponents plays per game. Out of the SEC only Mizzou and OM were worse.   All spread offense teams.  Good luck with 75-80 plays and an Arkansas defense.
but his offense ran more plays than opponent defense, so that dispels that
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Pork Twain

Quote from: wreckshop82 on December 11, 2017, 09:33:48 pm
Some of the teams we play each year in the SEC, put more players in the NFL each year than we do over a 5-10 year period.  That is a big difference
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:43:26 pm
Throw in Philon.  We have produced very few. 

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/all-time-nfl-draft-picks/
we get 3-4 draft picks each year.  not the best not the worst.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:37:47 pm
Not our offenses. Opposing offenses.

Opposing offense or our offense, the spread is not responsible for Arkansas' s historically terrible defenses of the last two years.  Arkansas was 10th in Total Defense in 2014.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:31:58 pm
Lack of talent has played the biggest role. 

This is true, and it has a lot to do with where we have recruited.  I said it when Petrino tried to go national and I said it again when Bielema touted his success in Florida and Smith began bringing up players from southern Louisiana.  Unless we can beat LSU or Miami for recruits, let them go to South Florida or Louisiana.  We have been beating G5 schools for recruits outside our own footprint.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogfooey on December 11, 2017, 09:44:09 pm
but his offense ran more plays than opponent defense, so that dispels that

Offsets perhaps. It's up to the offense to have an extremely high rate of success.  It is what it is.  What we signed up for and wanted.  May work. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 11, 2017, 09:46:34 pm
Some of the teams we play each year in the SEC, put more players in the NFL each year than we do over a 5-10 year period.  That is a big difference
doubt that, unless they are putting up 20-40 draft picks a year...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 09:47:37 pm
Opposing offense or our offense, the spread is not responsible for Arkansas' s historically terrible defenses of the last two years.  Arkansas was 10th in Total Defense in 2014.

This is true, and it has a lot to do with where we have recruited.  I said it when Petrino tried to go national and I said it again when Bielema touted his success in Florida and Smith began bringing up players from southern Louisiana.  Unless we can beat LSU or Miami for recruits, let them go to South Florida or Louisiana.  We have been beating G5 schools for recruits outside our own footprint.

Poor opponent qb play in 2014 played a huge role. 

thebignasty

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:49:03 pm
Poor opponent qb play in 2014 played a huge role.

We did benefit from bad Dr. Bo and Brandon Harris.

rude1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 09:42:06 pm
This was one of the reasons I mentioned Joe Lee Dunn earlier.  He kind of made the 3-3-5 famous.  He played a minnow bucket defense.  Players would hover around the line, some of them down, some of the standing up, moving, switching, no way for the offense to pre-read the defense.  That kind of mindset must be brought back to cause these offenses to slow down and think.  Again, just my opinion.
Difference in what's going on now compared to then is the huddle, back then everyone huddled, so after getting to the line of scrimmage there wasn't a lot of time on play clock to diagnose the defense and personnel in before snapping the ball. Now with the no huddle, personnel can be held in place by not subbing yourself, and there is the whole play clock to look over the defense if need be before snapping the ball. The defense is in a distinct disadvantage once a team gets in a rhythm and goes to tempo, your players are too busy trying to get lined up before another snap occurs, rather than having time to make the offense guess by playing games at the line of scrimmage.

lakecityhog

How hard is it to understand that when your opponent's O is on the field your O is on the bench. The number of plays run by your opponent is defined by YOUR D!

Who knows how many really good defensive players that we have had over the last 5 years. D Wise could barely see the field for BB, but he is a pretty darned important D player for the Pats. How exactly does that work? Did we simply refuse to turn him loose?

Will Chavis look at Agim and scheme ways to get him MORE sack opportunities? What about Ramsey?
The key is being aggressive!

HogNTX

If it is Chavis could we be waiting on his termination from A&M? Does he have a guaranteed buyout like Sumlin? This could be a reason for the delay if it is indeed him. Also, he is still listed on their site as an active coach so to hire him now would mean that we owe TAMU a buyout. Let them pay it!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 09:47:30 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/all-time-nfl-draft-picks/
we get 3-4 draft picks each year.  not the best not the worst.
Every once in a while defensively.  In our SEC era we've only had 3 first round defensive draft picks.  1994 2004 and 2007

Agim only one on our roster with a remote chance right now. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:57:31 pm
Every once in a while defensively.  In our SEC era we've only had 3 first round defensive draft picks.  1994 2004 and 2007

Agim only one on our roster with a remote chance right now. 
I'm thinking it would be nice to change that statistic.  maybe its just me though.

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2015/1/12/7531641/john-chavis-defensive-players-nfl-draft-picks-lsu-tennessee-texas-am

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 10:00:10 pm
I'm thinking it would be nice to change that statistic.  maybe its just me though.

Would love to. 

WilsonHog

There is a defensive line coach on the A&M staff - David Turner - that would be a great addition as well.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: rude1 on December 11, 2017, 09:53:11 pm
Difference in what's going on now compared to then is the huddle, back then everyone huddled, so after getting to the line of scrimmage there wasn't a lot of time on play clock to diagnose the defense and personnel in before snapping the ball. Now with the no huddle, personnel can be held in place by not subbing yourself, and there is the whole play clock to look over the defense if need be before snapping the ball. The defense is in a distinct disadvantage once a team gets in a rhythm and goes to tempo, your players are too busy trying to get lined up before another snap occurs, rather than having time to make the offense guess by playing games at the line of scrimmage.

Very good points.  Will still need some kind of exotic defense, and probably the 3-3-5 defense to really stand a chance.
Retired Radio Host

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:31:28 pm
Also, Chavis is notorious for HATING to recruit.
if that is true, then it would make no sense for CCM to hire him when recruiting is of such importance.  Its a  big name as far as DCs go.  He was the DC for Tenner when they won the NC back in 98, but now, I think he be a bit long in the tooth to be able to recruit today's elite defensive players out of high school

onebadrubi

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 10:01:54 pm
Very good points.  Will still need some kind of exotic defense, and probably the 3-3-5 defense to really stand a chance.
I remember Joe Lee Dunn and John Thompson when each was DC at Ark.  Especially John Thompson had exotic formations and setups.    Ole Joe Lee was good as well for a while. 

Eddie Goodson

We would be very fortunate to get a guy like John Chavis. I hope this materializes.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003