Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beer, Bacon, Cheese and Chicken Soup (stole it from BR!)

Started by Boarcephus, January 07, 2015, 07:30:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Found this on one of BR's posts, looked interesting so I tried it.  Amazing!  What's not to like about something that has beer, bacon, cheese and chicken in it?  This has met with rave reviews.  It's easy and quick to make plus it's different.  You guys need to give this one a try. 

7 slices thick cut bacon
1 rotisserie chicken from Sam's, deboned
¼ cup butter (1/2 stick}
¼ cup flour
1 TBS minced garlic
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (2 tsp's get it pretty hot, might cut it back to one)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup beer, Belgian style wheat beer (Blue Moon)
1 can chicken broth
2 cups half and half
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

In a dutch oven, cut bacon into pieces and throw into pot.  Cook bacon until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally.

Remove bacon from pan and place on a plate.

Add butter to pan drippings, melt then whisk in flour   Add beer, broth and half & half and spices.   Whisk to combine and bring to a bubble.  Add cheese, whisk to combine, stir until you have a smooth mixture.  Add Worcestershire sauce, chicken and bacon.  Stir to combine.

Allow to simmer until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.

Bet you guys will like this one.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

RazorbackRon

Thanks.  This looks good.  I just recently joined BR's Facebook page and must have missed this recipe.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Boarcephus

Quote from: RazorbackRon on January 07, 2015, 08:05:52 pm
Thanks.  This looks good.  I just recently joined BR's Facebook page and must have missed this recipe.

BR posted this on the Hogfans website under the cooking section along with several other soup recipes.

I enjoy watching Street Eats on the food channel and they had one guy who served a beer and cheese soup people were drooling over and I found this one from BR.  I've been at the VA almost 10 years and pack my lunch every day and after that long a time you're looking for some new stuff and this one fit the bill.  This is one that has made it into my keeper section of recipes.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 07, 2015, 07:30:58 pm
Found this on one of BR's posts, looked interesting so I tried it.  Amazing!  What's not to like about something that has beer, bacon, cheese and chicken in it?  This has met with rave reviews.  It's easy and quick to make plus it's different.  You guys need to give this one a try. 

7 slices thick cut bacon
1 rotisserie chicken from Sam's, deboned
¼ cup butter (1/2 stick}
¼ cup flour
1 TBS minced garlic
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (2 tsp's get it pretty hot, might cut it back to one)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup beer, Belgian style wheat beer (Blue Moon)
1 can chicken broth
2 cups half and half
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

In a dutch oven, cut bacon into pieces and throw into pot.  Cook bacon until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally.

Remove bacon from pan and place on a plate.

Add butter to pan drippings, melt then whisk in flour   Add beer, broth and half & half and spices.   Whisk to combine and bring to a bubble.  Add cheese, whisk to combine, stir until you have a smooth mixture.  Add Worcestershire sauce, chicken and bacon.  Stir to combine.

Allow to simmer until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.

Bet you guys will like this one.

Realistically, how many will that serve?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 08, 2015, 06:34:19 am
Realistically, how many will that serve?

That recipe will make 5 full soup bowls which works for me because it's one a day for a week but there's not any left over.  If I were making it for a party, I'd double it and that should come somewhat close to filling my dutch oven.  Neat thing about it is it's easy to double.  The original reciped called for 1 pound chicken breasts but this has the meat of a 3 pound chicken so you might just use one anyway.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 08, 2015, 07:28:50 am
That recipe will make 5 full soup bowls which works for me because it's one a day for a week but there's not any left over.  If I were making it for a party, I'd double it and that should come somewhat close to filling my dutch oven.  Neat thing about it is it's easy to double.  The original reciped called for 1 pound chicken breasts but this has the meat of a 3 pound chicken so you might just use one anyway.

We have a weekly get together with at least 8 adults plus kids.  I may need to triple that.  Thanks.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 08, 2015, 07:32:34 am
We have a weekly get together with at least 8 adults plus kids.  I may need to triple that.  Thanks.

You can always make a trial run to see if you really like it and get a feel for how much it actually makes before you serve it.  From a flavor and different type of soup  standpoint, bet you won't be disappointed.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

made a new batch of this tonight.  You guys really need to try this one.

PorkRinds

My wife has me on a diet with  no cheese, beer, or bacon. I may die.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 08:24:54 pm

What's wrong with bacon?

zane

RIP LSUfan

BR

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 08:24:54 pm
I would find a new wife.........

PorkRinds

PorkRinds

Quote from: BR on January 15, 2015, 06:47:42 am
I would find a new wife.........

If you saw her, you'd change your tune quickly.  It's worth all the fad diets in the world.  I married WAY up.  Still not sure how I pulled this coup off, so if I gotta do without cheese, beer, and bacon for a couple months, it's a small price to pay!

Hogfaniam

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 15, 2015, 09:42:08 am
Guess I should've said good bacon.

The bacon thing is short term.  I can add it back after ten days or so.  I get good bacon, but it's still packed with sodium. 

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 15, 2015, 09:52:54 am
The bacon thing is short term.  I can add it back after ten days or so.  I get good bacon, but it's still packed with sodium. 

Wonder how much unprocessed, straight off the hog has?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 15, 2015, 09:58:07 am
Wonder how much unprocessed, straight off the hog has?

Not sure.  Pork is high in sodium naturally I believe.  I considered making my own bacon but I figured two weeks without isn't going to be that bad.  Plus, I will admit that she's right that I needed a bit of a jump start to eat healthier.   

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 15, 2015, 10:13:41 am
Not sure.  Pork is high in sodium naturally I believe.  I considered making my own bacon but I figured two weeks without isn't going to be that bad.  Plus, I will admit that she's right that I needed a bit of a jump start to eat healthier.   

Keto

old hog

Made this tonight. Fantastic. Added a smoked Anaheim pepper to it and cut down on the cayenne. Family loved it.

old hog

Like I said, made this and turned out great. Only problem was I used a cast iron dutch oven which come to find out loses its seasoning when cooking a cream based soup. Did not know this. Been having to reseason the cast iron. Anyone else have this problem with cast iron?

Boarcephus

I've got a dutch oven but it's one of those with the ceramic glazes on it.  Perfect for any stew or soup.  2 tsp of cayenne is a bit much for me.  BR says he's glad you liked it!

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 23, 2015, 02:24:38 pm
I've got a dutch oven but it's one of those with the ceramic glazes on it.  Perfect for any stew or soup.  2 tsp of cayenne is a bit much for me.  BR says he's glad you liked it!
Yep GLAD you like it....

Boarcephus

Hey BR, picking up 3 dozen oysters from Fresh Market after work.   89 cents each.  Will let you know how they compare to HyVees.  These are from Maine while HV's are from the gulf.  We'll see......

old hog

Quote from: BR on January 23, 2015, 02:28:02 pm
Yep GLAD you like it....
Seem to use a lot of your recipes. Don't have a Facebook page, so I use the wife's occasionally. Thanks for all the great food.

BR

Quote from: old hog on January 23, 2015, 03:01:51 pm
  Seem to use a lot of your recipes. Don't have a Facebook page, so I use the wife's occasionally. Thanks for all the great food.
Your welcome Brother, check your email...

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 23, 2015, 02:57:54 pm
Hey BR, picking up 3 dozen oysters from Fresh Market after work.   89 cents each.  Will let you know how they compare to HyVees.  These are from Maine while HV's are from the gulf.  We'll see......
Hell of good price...

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on January 23, 2015, 03:26:13 pm
Hell of good price...

If they're as good as HyVees.  Learned years ago no such thing as a good price if you buy something that's not any good.  I'll shuck and post pics tonight.

Boarcephus

Here you guys go, oysters on the egg.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

old hog

Dam, those pics actually make me drool a bit. Love a good oyster.

Boarcephus

Quote from: old hog on January 23, 2015, 07:14:20 pm
Dam, those pics actually make me drool a bit. Love a good oyster.

LOL!!  Amazing how fast you can go through $35!  You spend a helluva lot more time shucking and cooking than you do eating.

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 23, 2015, 07:17:09 pm
LOL!!  Amazing how fast you can go through $35!  You spend a helluva lot more time shucking and cooking than you do eating.
It is so worth it... Look great Brother.........

dhornjr1

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 23, 2015, 06:39:21 pm

I prefer my oysters raw with a little lemon juice and cocktail sauce, but those do look good.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on January 25, 2015, 04:03:59 pm
I prefer my oysters raw with a little lemon juice and cocktail sauce, but those do look good.

Know what you mean about the raw ones.  Little cocktail sauce and hot sauce for me but I'm just a little iffy on eating the raw ones shipped in to Fayetteville.  Now here in about 3 months when we head back to Sandestin, my first meal may very be just a couple dozen oysters on the half shell with a couple Blue Moons and call that good.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 25, 2015, 04:39:16 pm
my first meal may very be just a couple dozen oysters on the half shell with a couple Blue Moons and call that good.

Like Jack Buck said after Mark McGwire tied the the single-season home run record:

Pardon me while I stand and applaud.

Boarcephus

Doing these again tomorrow night.  Called Fresh Market and ordered 3 dozen I'll pick up tomorrow after work.  Sure I'll get tired of them but not there yet!

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 29, 2015, 07:35:28 pm
Doing these again tomorrow night.  Called Fresh Market and ordered 3 dozen I'll pick up tomorrow after work.  Sure I'll get tired of them but not there yet!
I'll be in Belize the next 15 days eating Lobster & Oysters

earlenehawg

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 23, 2015, 06:39:21 pm

What temperature and how long do you cook on BGE?

old hog

Quote from: BR on January 30, 2015, 08:14:32 am
Bah humbug. Seriously, have a great time and be careful. Post a few pics. Could live on lobster and oysters.

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on January 30, 2015, 08:14:32 am

Sounds like a blast.  We head to florida in may and we'll get our fill then.

Earlenehawg, I bring the egg up to 350 to 375 and coat the oysters in a butter/garlic mixture, cook till they start simmering, then add the onion, bacon bits and cheese and melt the cheese.   total time is probably around 7-10 minutes.  I dont have a problem with them a little less done than the wife does.

Boarcephus

Did 3 dozen last night and they were the best batch ever and believe this is the way from now on.  Shucked them then poured a butter/garlic mixture on them and added the chopped onions, bacon bits and parmesan cheese and dusted them with a Zatarains Pro Boil seasoning.  Cooked at 350 till they started simmering then added cheddar cheese to them and when it melted I pulled them.