Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think that one did it

Started by Porked Tongue, October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty

I believe it when it is SEC now! 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 31to6 on October 08, 2017, 01:17:45 pm
At this point I don't have any ill will toward CBB.

I like the guy. I think he is sincere and that he means well. I think he truly believed he could get it done.

Unlike other coaching changes, this one isn't personal.

I agree. I think he is a good man and has tried to do everything he can for the players and has tried to create a family environment at Arkansas that has drawn a lot of recruits to the program through the approval of the environment by their families. Kudos to him for that. We can't say that he has done a bad job representing the University as a HC in anything but wins. I wish him the very best in the future wherever he lands. This time the University isn't embarrassed or put on public display for ridicule. But he can't seem to build the program and get the most out of the team. The best result for him would be if he very diplomatically and in a show of personal responsibility, resigned and moved on to another gig. I hope for him and the school that this doesn't take a turn for the ugly.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: mizzouman on October 08, 2017, 09:49:40 am
No coach takes a reduced buyout just so he can get out.

He has to have another job lined up so he can control his fate. Arkansas will play along if Bielema wants to get out. Wants to avoid being fired.
[CENSORED]!

Porked Tongue

October 08, 2017, 02:22:43 pm #103 Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:49:40 pm by Porked Tongue
Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 08, 2017, 02:08:03 pm
Porked....how much are we willing to pay next coach to attract a home run?
No idea on number.

I don't think it'll be a case of how much can the program afford and then use that to go shopping. I think, when the time comes, it'll be more of a "who can we get?" and then try to work out terms.  In other words, look for a best fit.

I don't think money will be the whole carrot.

rude1

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 08, 2017, 02:03:01 pm
Well that's the thing though, it's not really an investment, it's a bailout......when we agreed to the $15 Mill buyout deal, were investing when he signed the contract because we were saying we don't want you to go anywhere for sure......and I personally think he was worried we might get a reputation like A-State. Look at what happened to A-State....They got Malzan, Frieze, and Harsin and each one left after a season.....I mean, I think that was a real fear, that we'd get someone who'd start doing great and then a program like Texas might swoop in and snatch them up from us with all of their cash and resources.....Let's face it, we couldn't win in a bidding war against a big blue blood football school like Texas , USC, or even LSU....I think he though there was no way we could ever pay a coach something like 6-8 Mill to coach.....And if Bielema had been as good as we thought he was, I think Long was worried that could be a real possibility.......I'm not saying that's a good reason, it's just an excuse, but I understand his mindset because after John L Smith's nightmare of a year and all of Petrino's crap, we were in a bumpy place as a program......Long had our best intrest in mind I think, he was just misguided.....
Umm NO!!!! The contract is totally one sided on the University's side, 15 Million for the University to buy it out, while his buyout started at 4 million and would be down to 1/2 million by 2019. So in fact Long gave him a contract that obligated the program to BB but got no such concessions in return. If this thing had gone well for BB he could have easily gotten out of that deal to take a more high profile job.......Dumbest contract extension ever given to a 7-6 coach.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: rude1 on October 08, 2017, 02:54:27 pm
Umm NO!!!! The contract is totally one sided on the University's side, 15 Million for the University to buy it out, while his buyout started at 4 million and would be down to 1/2 million by 2019. So in fact Long gave him a contract that obligated the program to BB but got no such concessions in return. If this thing had gone well for BB he could have easily gotten out of that deal to take a more high profile job.......Dumbest contract extension ever given to a 7-6 coach.
Yep
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rhames

Quote from: rude1 on October 08, 2017, 02:54:27 pm

While I'm not disagreeing with you, again this is pretty standard. I was upset with it too, but then looked into other coach's contracts

I still venture to say Bret's goal was to get here and have success by now then leave for an NFL head job.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

moses_007

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 08, 2017, 09:55:34 am
Regardless, if he refuses, give him his money and get him out of here.  I'm sorry, but he's just an awful coach and he's destroying what little brand we have left.

We're actually getting worse.
But we are UNCOMMON.... whatever the hell that means....lol

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 01:22:28 pm
We've had every kind of departure imaginable.  Time to try for a harmonious one. 

Fred Thomsen left to join the army and go to Burma. Maybe we can run that road again?

I mean, his wife sued, and got his buyout, minus an Army capatin's pay, so it wasn't the harmonious one you're asking for, but maybe CBB could deploy to Kandahar for next season? At least it's a road the athletic department has been down before.

BigE_23

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 08, 2017, 02:08:03 pm
Porked....how much are we willing to pay next coach to attract a home run?

I am so freakin sick and tired of this line of thinking! We don't need a damn big name coach. That's the crap that got us in this situation.

We need a hungry up and comer that would punch his grandmother in the throat to win. Someone that wants the opportunity to coach at a place like Arkansas who sees the opportunities and challenges and is willing to take them head on.

Not a fat-ass looking for a paycheck.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 08, 2017, 02:21:39 pm
He has to have another job lined up so he can control his fate. Arkansas will play along if Bielema wants to get out. Wants to avoid being fired.

Who would want him after the product he has put on the field at Arkansas?  At some point people have to look at his time at Wisconsin and wonder if most of that wasn't Alvarez.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: 31to6 on October 08, 2017, 01:53:31 pm
There are a few G5 schools that just seem to have a knack for consistently bringing in coaches that keep their programs winning after they send yet another coach up to P5.

Interview those guys...

So Arkansas State AD?

rzrbk4life

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 08, 2017, 05:06:54 pm
Who would want him after the product he has put on the field at Arkansas?  At some point people have to look at his time at Wisconsin and wonder if most of that wasn't Alvarez.

I see him going to a small school like Charlie Strong did. He's not going to a major P-5 school after this. Wouldn't surprise me to see him maybe take a couple years off or maybe go on tv and do broadcasting
Let's call those hogs!!!!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:53:32 am
Personally I think CBB will find another job and we will have a semi-graceful exit. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Long may get told by some people above him who have actual power that "you created this mess, now you need to work on resolving this mess."

Long may be spending some time making phone calls to get Bielema new employment so the UofA can get out from underneath this albatross without too much financial damage, and it will be beneficial for Bielema so that he doesn't have a firing on his Resume.

Long may be able to get Bielema a Defensive Coordinator position in the Weak 10 Conference, or a Head Coach position in the Sun Belt Conference.

Ironhawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 08, 2017, 05:26:13 pm
Long may get told by some people above him who have actual power that "you created this mess, now you need to work on resolving this mess."

Long may be spending some time making phone calls to get Bielema new employment so the UofA can get out from underneath this albatross without too much financial damage, and it will be beneficial for Bielema so that he doesn't have a firing on his Resume.

Long may be able to get Bielema a Defensive Coordinator position in the Weak 10 Conference, or a Head Coach position in the Sun Belt Conference.

My fear, other than another season of Bielema at Arkansas, is someone above Long tells him that Bielema needs to go but Long refuses and has to be fired himself.  Arkansas can easily sell firing Bielema after the mess on the field, but Long will be painted as the man of principle who stood by his coach to the bitter end and Arkansas will be the bad guy again.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 09:42:22 am
I do.  But I will say one way or the other it'll be the last football coach hire he gets to make.

I actually think there will be better candidates than we'd expect IF and WHEN we have that opening.
I agree. All those who think that Long is on thin ice are not paying attention. But he will have to get it right this  time or he will find a new address to save his legacy. To the BOT he is doing all the right things. Few outside a hardcore following were really upset with the Dykes failure. And the board are not going to act in a tizzy over the current situation for football. If and when a decision is made it will be a business decision, and I think you are right that it is close to being made.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

The NewEra

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 08, 2017, 09:50:23 am
No, BB was not a great hire at the time, it just looked like a great hire on the face of it. But, those that knew what really went on at Wisconsin knew that most of the success there was due to Alvarez.
Perception is not always reality, we got the reality.

When the fans were ragging on Bielema for leaving I thought it was nothing more than sour grapes.  Then after Alvarez went through a few coaches in as many years and they maintained their same win / loss record I started to wonder.  Add that to our decline and I ultimately started to think those from Wisky who showed up on the message boards warning us were being as honest as they could.  I like coach B the person, but I don't see how we can allow the current trend to continue.  I hope the OP's original post is accurate.  Believe it or not, I can see CBB stepping down early for less money in order not to have a rabid fan base in his wake.

On a lighter note, CBB did promise us he wanted to give us something we had never had.  I'm sure the current situation isn't what anyone had in mind.  We've been breaking records that weren't meant to be broken and all in the wrong direction.

buldozer

We should hold out until he agrees to pay us $15M to allow him to quit. I think he will pony up by the end of the season. His stock has declined so much that $15M is nothing overall compared to how much his lifetime earning potential has declined..... and it will continue to go down until it absolutely bottoms out after being fired. He should have left last year...

PonderinHog

Quote from: The NewEra on October 08, 2017, 06:07:49 pm
When the fans were ragging on Bielema for leaving I thought it was nothing more than sour grapes.  Then after Alvarez went through a few coaches in as many years and they maintained their same win / loss record I started to wonder.  Add that to our decline and I ultimately started to think those from Wisky who showed up on the message boards warning us were being as honest as they could.  I like coach B the person, but I don't see how we can allow the current trend to continue.  I hope the OP's original post is accurate.  Believe it or not, I can see CBB stepping down early for less money in order not to have a rabid fan base in his wake.

On a lighter note, CBB did promise us he wanted to give us something we had never had.  I'm sure the current situation isn't what anyone had in mind.  We've been breaking records that weren't meant to be broken and all in the wrong direction.
Something we've never had?  Like bookend 0-8 conference records to start and end his coaching tenure at Arkansas?

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 08, 2017, 09:55:30 am
So, who would you want as AD?

I mentioned Dave Van Horn a week or two ago, and it was " quickly " moved to trash. Someone must not like our very solid baseball coach?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 09:45:52 am
Yes, hired Jimmy Dykes, told him to allow his players to protest, then fired him for not controlling his players.  JL is a fraud.

JL may be a fraud, but not winning games might have had a bit to do with it don't ya' think?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

SooieGeneris

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 08, 2017, 09:51:39 am
Soon. Long and BB will not be with us for Valentine's Day. No sources but with Wally's article today you know change is coming

I've never been a fan of Wee Wally, but when he stops making excuses for coaches like the rest of the Arkansas sports media, he is hearing things. When he turns on a coach, something is up..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Nashville Fan

CBB will go on to broadcasting not coaching.
Pittman or Bust!

Swestwill66

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 08, 2017, 09:53:16 am
Not only no Lanny.but hell no!Long needs to go.if he hires the next coach,we may very well get another guy who fails. start fresh and clean house.

How about getting a committee of people that know football to make the next hire.
Perhaps some former Razorbacks like Clint stoerner, McFadden, Steve Atwater . Guys that know winning football. Why allow an academic type to hire a football coach? (Long)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Swestwill66 on October 08, 2017, 07:01:32 pm
How about getting a committee of people that know football to make the next hire.
Perhaps some former Razorbacks like Clint stoerner, McFadden, Steve Atwater . Guys that know winning football. Why allow an academic type to hire a football coach? (Long)

The last time that happened we hired Houston Nutt.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 07:02:55 pm

Yep.  It would be better to find a new AD.  Fat chance, of course.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Swestwill66

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 07:02:55 pm
Good point. I am just hoping for a solid football hire.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Swestwill66 on October 08, 2017, 07:01:32 pm
Terry Don Phillips, leading a committee of ex hogs Jerry Jones,Jimmy Johnson,Ken Hatfield from the old days. Steve Atwater, Dan Hampton and Mr. Tyson  from the recent past.  They'll come up with a name like Tim Horton which would be fine with me.

TNRazorbacker

Hoping BB sees the writing and moves on his own. I've heard talk about Nebraska.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on October 08, 2017, 02:10:51 pm
I think it depends on Nebraska. No big name will want to go to Nebraska, where they face high expectations with worse recruiting than we have.

But CBB has proven he can win their division, so they might be intetested.

He might not want to pass that shot at redemption of they come calling.

Scott Frost will be Nebraska's next coach.

PRJ

Porked Tongue

With the news of the Or St coach giving up his money, that disarms all of you that think it's impossible for BB to walk away from all that money.

I'm telling you.

rhames

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 09, 2017, 06:14:14 pm
With the news of the Or St coach giving up his money, that disarms all of you that think it's impossible for BB to walk away from all that money.

I'm telling you.

Yeah. I may be wrong about him not taking a lesser buyout.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

texas tush hog

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 08, 2017, 09:55:30 am
So, who would you want as AD?

Dr. Sean Rochelle or Dr. Fitzgerald Hill. 1st Lt. Hill that is.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 08, 2017, 07:14:53 pm
Terry Don Phillips, leading a committee of ex hogs Jerry Jones,Jimmy Johnson,Ken Hatfield from the old days. Steve Atwater, Dan Hampton and Mr. Tyson  from the recent past.  They'll come up with a name like Tim Horton which would be fine with me.

Excellent idea. Let's get back to the GOBN.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:37:14 am
Do you want the current AD hiring the next coach?

No, and that is my big worry.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 09, 2017, 06:48:57 pm

Excellent idea. Let's get back to the GOBN.
The new, northern direction has failed worse.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:37:14 am
Do you want the current AD hiring the next coach?

He won't be hiring the next head coach, even if he is still the AD.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Porked Tongue

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 09, 2017, 09:13:45 pm
He won't be hiring the next head coach, even if he is still the AD.
Maybe not unilaterally, but he will.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on October 09, 2017, 06:50:40 pm
No, and that is my big worry.

^^^this. Long hasn't even coached a girls pee wee soccer team, and we're going to keep letting him go through this exercise?

We have his body of work over the past decade to go on; that's not his forte.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 09, 2017, 09:18:30 pm
It won't be his decision.
You and I will disagree even if only in the semantics. :)

PonderinHog

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 09, 2017, 09:19:23 pm
^^^this. Long hasn't even coached a girls pee wee soccer team, and we're going to keep letting him go through this exercise?

We have his body of work over the past decade to go on; that's not his forte.
I'm pretty sure he was a coach early in his career.

LuckyGiraffe

We would be well served to fire JL and hire Tom Bowen from the University of Memphis. He has proven the ability to make two great football hires at a program that was the worst in DI FBS. Then we can also turn around and hire Mike Norvell. He is taking talent well below what is currently on the hill and beating the UCLA team that embarrassed A&M.

Scott7703

Quote from: jcbville on October 08, 2017, 10:04:17 am
BoT is not upset with JL because BoT made the decisions everyone is so upset with alongside JL. JL is the face of an entire group of people who made these decisions with JL. Personal feelings based on Civil War politics clouds that truth here it would seem. Which is strange and silly.

There is no unilateral decision making by JL on coaches contracts, salaries, or hiring and firing.

The "money" closest to the BoT is also not personally upset with JL for the same reasons as listed above. Does that mean they can't see change is needed and they're not upset at all?  No. But they don't personally blame JL.

This just isn't accurate

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 09, 2017, 09:24:50 pm
I'm pretty sure he was a coach early in his career.

Yep, you're correct. He has some coaching background. Honestly, I'm speechless. I still maintain that his body of work doesn't earn him the right to another hire.

hawg1221

Quote from: RexMentor on October 08, 2017, 01:36:28 pm
Here's what I have been hearing over the last four weeks. (Mind you, I have not been close to the program for more than 15 years, but occasionally hear things, still.)
1. Money has been promised to buy out CBB. No deep pocket friends of the program are involved - just yet.
2. Very quiet talk is being conducted with CBB's agents, or so I've been told. CBB may or may not be aware of it. They'd rather fund a smaller buyout, if possible. A six win season would be hard to defend but if that happens look for a renegotiated one-year deal with a small (less than 11 mil- probably 3 to 5 mil) buy out. And changes would have to be made in assistants. (Note the plural). If he wants to stay, he needs to figure out a way to 7 wins. Something like that would have to continue going forward.
3. If the wheels fall off -- i.e. six or fewer wins -- a change will be made regardless of buy out.
4. And this is critical -- the stadium expansion is being funded with bonds. For the first time, a UA Athletic Department has pledged revenue in the form of bond payments to finance a project. Those seats HAVE TO BE SOLD. They are having trouble doing that and it gets magnified with each loss. Long isn't in jeopardy yet. But if those seats aren't sold, he could be in 2018 if the football program doesn't get to a competitive level.
5. Personal opinion: This is a fragile football team right now. I think some players are on the lip of giving up and I think CBB is very close to losing this team. Additionally, he doesn't look to be in a good place. He's young and figures he could coach a few more years. The question he has to answer is this: Do I want to do it at Arkansas and if I do, will it kill me?
6. That ball is in CBBs court. Either he makes a decision, or it will be made for him.
7. As fans, we should support the players, attend the games and hope it will all work out -- if not now, the next year. That requires patience.   Right now, we need all of that we can get.

Interesting...

PonderinHog

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 09, 2017, 09:39:43 pm
Yep, you're correct. He has some coaching background. Honestly, I'm speechless. I still maintain that his body of work doesn't earn him the right to another hire.
No argument there.  Not from me anyway.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 08, 2017, 10:05:24 am
Bielema was hired before JLS was hired. He sent the letter on the spring, contrary to what Jeffi says. There's articles on the internet hatll back that up. Long said not long after he hired JLS that he had gotten letters from various people, including a prominent head coach discussing character, etc.

He needed to hire JLS so he could fire him, win or lose.  If he flopped, he's fired.  If he won big, he could fire him over he real estate deal in Kentucky.  If you think for a second Jeff Long didn't know about that, you're lying to yourself. Long knew about it, just like he and everyone else knew about Dorrell.  He just lied his way through it to fire Petrino because he didn't want him to begin with.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read today.

bob slydell

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:41:47 am
Sure. He hasn't done a horrible job hiring coaches. CBB was a great hire at the time. It just didn't work out.

Wouldn't part of the definition for great hire include working out?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

311Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on October 08, 2017, 09:49:40 am
No coach takes a reduced buyout just so he can get out.

Gary Anderson says hello