Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think that one did it

Started by Porked Tongue, October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

Heard as early as preseason that BB might be receptive to an early buyout negotiation. 

Once the TCU and A&M games finished, I heard it again.  Personal pride is eating at him on and off the field.  Newborn in the house and a desire to control his fate a bit are contributing factors.

Rest of the season will tell the tale but getting just 1 win or less in conference I believe is an automatic departure.  Maybe even 2 conference wins.

As much as it is the losing, the team has no real unity, trust, effort and ability to respond to game crisis.  0-16 when trailing at the half.  No killer instinct. Seemingly no true fight in them.

You can bet the "short list" is already being edited.  Stadium expansion ticket sales are a factor.

I think Long will do it if BB doesn't fall on his sword.

Now, if the tide turns all bets are off.

theFlyingHog

You got actual sources or is this another trash can thread? Not trying to be a D but I don't know your credibility

Frontrowhog

Why would BB do this? I'm sure being fired sucks but I don't think I'd walk away with my pride and leave $15M on the table.

Lanny

Do you want the current AD hiring the next coach?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

gawntrail

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:37:14 am

This is the question!  Anything else being asked is secondary.

theFlyingHog

How responsible was he for hiring BP? I suspect you know better than I. I've seen the BP hire and the BB hire. One was ok and one hasn't turned out very well

I'm also a little curious if some of the Long hatred is driven by lack of access to the program under Long

duckman

Hell no, he needs to be fired as much as CBB does...

007 License To Squeal

Absolutely not....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Lanny

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 08, 2017, 09:39:18 am
How responsible was he for hiring BP? I suspect you know better than I. I've seen the BP hire and the BB hire. One was ok and one hasn't turned out very well
I don't know how the BB hire was negotiated I was certain Gundy was replacing John L. Smith

Al Bundy

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am
Heard as early as preseason that BB might be receptive to an early buyout negotiation. 

Once the TCU and A&M games finished, I heard it again.  Personal pride is eating at him on and off the field.  Newborn in the house and a desire to control his fate a bit are contributing factors.

Rest of the season will tell the tale but getting just 1 win or less in conference I believe is an automatic departure.  Maybe even 2 conference wins.

As much as it is the losing, the team has no real unity, trust, effort and ability to respond to game crisis.  0-16 when trailing at the half.  No killer instinct. Seemingly no true fight in them.

You can bet the "short list" is already being edited.  Stadium expansion ticket sales are a factor.

Yep...posted the same thing going back to after aTm game. I am 100% convinced of this. I could see us beating Mizzou, MSU and CC which gets us to 5-7 and at that point I think it's 50/50 but lean towards renegotiated buyout because cutthroat recruiting in the SEC and Big 12 will kill us knowing he is virtually a lame duck

Danimal

Why would he take a reduced buyout when he's pretty much ruined his career? It's not like he's gonna be headed to a program of any significance. I'd take every penny I could if I were in his shoes.

PorkRinds

Sure. He hasn't done a horrible job hiring coaches. CBB was a great hire at the time. It just didn't work out.

Porked Tongue

I do.  But I will say one way or the other it'll be the last football coach hire he gets to make.

I actually think there will be better candidates than we'd expect IF and WHEN we have that opening.

MuskogeeHogFan

Is it possible that he won't be given a free and unsupervised hand with which to do so? Would that happening tick him off so much that he chose to look for another gig?
Go Hogs Go!

Lanny

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:41:47 am
Sure. He hasn’t done a horrible job hiring coaches. CBB was a great hire at the time. It just didn’t work out.
Offered the job to Jim Grobe, Tommy Bowden both are out of coaching.  Hired Jimmy Dykes..............

Al Bundy

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:41:04 am
I don't know how the BB hire was negotiated I was certain Gundy was replacing John L. Smith
Seems like Long likes doing his own thing without input. We're a small fairly close knit state and he doesn't fit in.

I think the Long hire was as much to stabilize the athletic dept as anything. We had quite a mess on our hands with Frank staying so long and power players pulling strings with the Nutt situation. We didn't look good on the national stage but now I think we are ready to move on and get back to winning

Ex-Trumpet

Our illustrious AD isn't as squeaky clean as he would have us believe.

http://www.utimes.pitt.edu/?p=944
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

cram224

Who is responsible for firing and hiring the AD. BOT??? White???

Dark Helmet Hog

Lanny

Quote from: cram224 on October 08, 2017, 09:44:58 am
Who is responsible for firing and hiring the AD. BOT??? White???
BOT

Al Bundy

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am

Where have you heard this from exactly? Even Lanny thinks the buyout is a roadblock to Bielema leaving after this season. I've disagreed on that specific point with Lanny on the basis that if the powers that be want Bielema gone, any buyout is pocket change. Plus, I've posted on Hogville 3 or 4 times recently that the full buyout amount will never see Bielema's checking account because it will be negotiated down. That is, if Bielema does not want to be persona non grata in college coaching circles for rest of his working life.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:42:53 am
Offered the job to Jim Grobe, Tommy Bowden both are out of coaching.  Hired Jimmy Dykes..............

Yes, hired Jimmy Dykes, told him to allow his players to protest, then fired him for not controlling his players.  JL is a fraud.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ward on October 08, 2017, 09:40:19 am
in Madison, it was the fanbase that got to him. Not Barry Alvarez.

Fans did not like him, and he did not take it well.

I wish he would step down and work on getting healthy, stay in Fayetteville, and work for SEC Network a bit. Have a great life in Arkansas.
He could buy a home next door to Nolan.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 09:44:06 am
Our illustrious AD isn't as squeaky clean as he would have us believe.

http://www.utimes.pitt.edu/?p=944

Oh god. That's what you're throwing out now? Talk about lost in the weeds.

Porked Tongue

I do think he'll not be unfeathered when a new search begins.

On Dykes, he is for responsible for that but internally the UA higher ups loved(at first) that hire.  But later did blame Long for being so wrong on Dykes true personality and embarrassing chauvinism.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 09:45:52 am
Yes, hired Jimmy Dykes, told him to allow his players to protest, then fired him for not controlling his players.  JL is a fraud.
They also sucked really bad, coaches get fired for that sometimes.

HognotinMemphis

Also approved the 1 year interim thing for John L Smith to be the head coach. Dumbest thing ever done in the history of Arkansas football. Long just didn't know how to hire a coach in shorter time than usual so went the easy route.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:47:23 am
He's got that blind hatred

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:47:23 am

So, a ticket fiasco over new facilities shouldn't alarm anyone?

Ex-Trumpet

mizzouman

No coach takes a reduced buyout just so he can get out.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 08, 2017, 09:47:43 am
They also sucked really bad, coaches get fired for that sometimes.

Agree.  When is the next firing going to happen?

lakecityhog

No, BB was not a great hire at the time, it just looked like a great hire on the face of it. But, those that knew what really went on at Wisconsin knew that most of the success there was due to Alvarez.
Perception is not always reality, we got the reality.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 08, 2017, 09:48:11 am
Also approved the 1 year interim thing for John L Smith to be the head coach. Dumbest thing ever done in the history of Arkansas football. Long just didn't know how to hire a coach in shorter time than usual so went the easy route.
Come on now. There's a reason schools don't fire coaches in April. You know that. There's enough crap on Long without making up dumb arguments

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 09:48:38 am
So, a ticket fiasco over new facilities shouldn't alarm anyone?

You painted it to be him neing underhanded or not being "squeaky clean". A ticket disputed is not that.

cram224

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:45:32 am
BOT
I hear some of the BOT is a$$ kissers to JL. Any truth to that? Lanny I'm as sick as you.

duckman

The root cause of the problem is and will continue to be Long until someone develops a set of testicles and fires him.  We are screwed.....

Lanny

HiM,

Paying that buyout is a bad investment that I don't see happening soon.  Why does anyone spend that type of money to fire a coach?  The first head that needs to roll is the person that gave this buyout.

If Paul Petrino and John L Smith can find a job, Bielema can find another home.  I see this happening possibly soon and Arkansas doesn't have to pay the full buyout.

Al Bundy

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 09:50:01 am
Agree.  When is the next firing going to happen?
Soon. Long and BB will not be with us for Valentine's Day. No sources but with Wally's article today you know change is coming

PorkRinds

A bad football team isn't the reason to fire the AD. It's an emotional reaction to getting beat down. Fire the coach. Negotiate the buyout. I'm all for those things at this point. But th Jeff Long hate is dumb.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:51:11 am
HiM,

Paying that buyout is a bad investment that I don't see happening soon.  Why does anyone spend that type of money to fire a coach?  The first head that needs to roll is the person that gave this buyout.

If Paul Petrino and John L Smith can find a job, Bielema can find another home.  I see this happening possibly soon and Arkansas doesn't have to pay the full buyout.
Agree with all of that but Arkansas WILL fire Bielema and will NOT pay that buyout.

forrest city joe

Not only no Lanny.but hell no!Long needs to go.if he hires the next coach,we may very well get another guy who fails. start fresh and clean house.

PorkRinds

Personally I think CBB will find another job and we will have a semi-graceful exit. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Oliver

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:41:04 am

Why can't we just go back and make this happen?  I knew it was too good to be true type news for a Long hire

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:50:39 am
You painted it to be him neing underhanded or not being "squeaky clean". A ticket disputed is not that.

You might feel differently if it were your money and your tickets that got bumped.

And, maybe I have been hiding in the weeds...I just recently heard about this.  I have been a Long supporter for years, thought he represented the UA well.  And, to most outsiders, he does.  Just seems like his first priority is JL and not UA.

forrest city joe

Quote from: duckman on October 08, 2017, 09:50:55 am
The root cause of the problem is and will continue to be Long until someone develops a set of testicles and fires him.  We are screwed.....
Bingo!

Pork Ranger

hogcard1964

Quote from: Frontrowhog on October 08, 2017, 09:37:07 am
Why would BB do this? I'm sure being fired sucks but I don't think I'd walk away with my pride and leave $15M on the table.

Regardless, if he refuses, give him his money and get him out of here.  I'm sorry, but he's just an awful coach and he's destroying what little brand we have left.

We're actually getting worse.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 08, 2017, 09:55:34 am
Regardless, if he refuses, give him his money and get him out of here.  I'm sorry, but he's just an awful coach and he's destroying what little brand we have left.

We're actually getting worse.

Stop saying we, bama fan.