Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking about getting into bow hunting

Started by Wildhog, November 03, 2015, 12:11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

another thing . get a decent release and learn to press the back of trigger when drawing . arrows aren't cheap. avoid back tension releases and those fancy types . REMEMBER KEEP IT SIMPLE . you won't regret it . oh and by the way Bowtech is good stuff . get the draw length set to fit you . most shops can do it and a wrist strap is a must or you will drop the bow when you kill your first . nerves take over lol 
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

IronHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 05, 2015, 11:35:47 pm
ironhog . i to disagree . i bought my last bow , a matthews solo cam at a pawn shop for 150 .00. It hadn't been used a lot . added about 80.00 worth of sights , stabilizer and rest and won or placed in a bunch of 3d tournaments . I'm self taught . it was from hours of shooting at different distant and condition that helped me. Also bought some old 3d targets from a club at the end of season. Most shops will help set up a bow to fit for a small charge . Faster isn't always better either . the faster the bow the more important it is to have it right . i like small vanes (3 or 2 3/4) but i use mechanical broadheads . fixed blades can plane at high speed so you have to have it right. Also you don't need 70 lb pull . your much better with a 55 lb and matching gold tip arrows or any brand of carbon fiber . used stuff works fine . you need to check limbs for cracks and the string for signs of wear. often after season you can pick fairly new stuff cheap . look at swap shop sites in your area . big name bows aren't needed for hunting . it doesn't require 1000.00 to get it done . A lot of guys are constantly trying to keep up with everything new so it's easy to pick up good deals . haven't checked in a while but the PSE nova package was pretty reasonable . most companies offer packages of some kind . And these are very good hunting packages .

ournament quality

I shoot a 60lbs Mathews switchback that's getting outdated.  It's slow.  Just spent pretty good chunk on it getting new strings.

Even your example you'd spent $300+.

I've been there, done that.   If you want to avoid lots of frustration/trial and errors budget enough to buy a solid bow that can be set up safely and fit properly.

A top of the line compound fully rigged now with all accessories for hunting is going to run 1000-2000$ nowadays.  $400-$500 is dirt cheap 😬
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 05, 2015, 08:06:17 pm
Does wild have a shooting buddy?  That made all the difference with me.  Having someone that knows the sport is always a plus.

Yeah, I have a couple of friends that are gonna help me along.
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

that switchback isn't outdated . you don't have to be shooting 325 fps to hunt. 250 and above is plenty especially with fixed broadheads . a faster bow just makes form errors more noticeable as do short brace lengths . these are less forgiving especially to new shooters . most shots are taken inside 40 yards anyway and 30 is even better . Am i capable of a 70 yard shoot , yes i was . would i take one? no way i'm more responsible to the deer for a clean kill than that. lots of hours an arrows spent practicing on long shots , it gives you more confidence when you shoot in your range. two more 3 more things . practice shooting down like in a tree stand. 2 practice close shots.[saw many tournaments lost on these . people rush them] and by big back up foam targets. it saves lost arrows

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 06, 2015, 09:26:04 am
Limb grenades?

They are glued composites.

Make sure if you buy a used bow it had been stored properly 👍

IronHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 06, 2015, 09:44:07 am
that switchback isn't outdated . you don't have to be shooting 325 fps to hunt. 250 and above is plenty especially with fixed broadheads . a faster bow just makes form errors more noticeable as do short brace lengths . these are less forgiving especially to new shooters . most shots are taken inside 40 yards anyway and 30 is even better . Am i capable of a 70 yard shoot , yes i was . would i take one? no way i'm more responsible to the deer for a clean kill than that. lots of hours an arrows spent practicing on long shots , it gives you more confidence when you shoot in your range. two more 3 more things . practice shooting down like in a tree stand. 2 practice close shots.[saw many tournaments lost on these . people rush them] and by big back up foam targets. it saves lost arrows

Switchback still a good bow.

You can buy one and all the goodies and be geared up ready to go.......for 4-500$ 😄

tophawg19

i really liked the one i shot . comfortable with little hand shock on release . quick and smooth with a solid back wall . i used to shoot 70 lbs for speed but learned that by going to carbon fiber and cutting arrow weight to 5.3 grains per pound i gained speed at 55 lbs, [ never , ever go below 5.0 you run the risk of blowing limbs ] 70 lbs x5 gr = 350 , 55 lbs x 5 = 275 . losing 75 gr. makes a big difference . i like 6 gr per LB for hunting .

theFlyingHog

I had a really cheap PSE Silverhawk. POS. but I taught myself how to shoot with it then bought a PSE Surge(400ish on Amazon, with everything needed to shoot but the sticks) earlier this year. Shoots like a dream. One heart shot so far this year

PonderinHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 05, 2015, 08:02:15 pm
Well, I'll be delivering a bow to wildhog tomorrow to borrow. Its apparently a relic though, so I guess we'll find out how it works out.
You should pay him to take that POS off your hands.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

devildoghawg

Just my two cents, but if you want to get turned away from bow hunting,  the best way to do that is buy a used bow set up for someone else and then have a terrible time shooting it.  A decent new bow can be had for around 300 bucks at any major retailer. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Wildhog

So, I took the bow out to a shop in Conway, and had it inspected and set up to fit me.  Got new tubing for the peep sight, a few arrows, and a release.  Also got a quick lesson on how to shoot the thing.  I thought it went really well.  The very first shot I popped the s*** out of my arm, and then remembered I had the arm guard that Pharm loaned me in my pocket.  I put it on, and didn't have another problem.  I think it went pretty well.  It's really satisfying just to hit a bullseye.  Can't imagine a deer. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2015, 02:33:49 pm
So, I took the bow out to a shop in Conway, and had it inspected and set up to fit me.  Got new tubing for the peep sight, a few arrows, and a release.  Also got a quick lesson on how to shoot the thing.  I thought it went really well.  The very first shot I popped the s*** out of my arm, and then remembered I had the arm guard that Pharm loaned me in my pocket.  I put it on, and didn't have another problem.  I think it went pretty well.  It's really satisfying just to hit a bullseye.  Can't imagine a deer.
Good deal. I always laughed at Ted Nugent talking about the mystical flight of the arrow, but there's something about letting it fly that feels so good

PharmacistHog

Theres always somethin special about slappin your forearm with a bowstring the very first time.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 07, 2015, 10:50:08 pm
Theres always somethin special about slappin your forearm with a bowstring the very first time.
There really is.  It is truly magical, especially when you were warned.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: IronHog on November 05, 2015, 09:09:34 pm
It's nearly impossible to shoot a poorly fitted compound accurately.  Anchor point must be consistent.....

That's why I shoot a real bow, and cedar arrows with real feathers and 160 grain 2 blade broadheads, no wheels, cams, sights, triggers or mechanical broadheads.

The traditional stuff kills them just as dead.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 10, 2015, 09:23:09 pm

That's why I shoot a real bow, and cedar arrows with real feathers and 160 grain 2 blade broadheads, no wheels, cams, sights, triggers or mechanical broadheads.

The traditional stuff kills them just as dead.

I admire people like you who hunt with the traditional stuff, just not the ones who snub their nose at those of us who don't.
Millennials suck...

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 11, 2015, 06:59:07 pm
I admire people like you who hunt with the traditional stuff, just not the ones who snub their nose at those of us who don't.

I say go hunt with whatever's legal, just go hunt. But I recommend traditional to everyone, it's the most enjoyable way I've ever hunted.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

tophawg19

traditional is good if you have a lot of practice time but is too limiting for a new hunter . i learned on a ben pearson cougar recurve . you have to really practice to get good enough to hit with those when nerves kick in . and judging distance is more critical to those because they are slow.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 11, 2015, 07:38:53 pm
traditional is good if you have a lot of practice time but is too limiting for a new hunter . i learned on a ben pearson cougar recurve . you have to really practice to get good enough to hit with those when nerves kick in . and judging distance is more critical to those because they are slow.

I rarely ever practice. I can pull my bows out 3 days before bow season, take a few shots and confidently hunt. I limit myself to no more than 7-10 (never 10-12) shots per session. I find that less practice is better for me in avoiding target panic.

grayhawg

I hunted the last several years with a compound, however it gets harder every year to pull in a tree stand. Not because of lack of strength but balance and may have go to a crossbow next year.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 11, 2015, 07:49:17 pm

I rarely ever practice. I can pull my bows out 3 days before bow season, take a few shots and confidently hunt. I limit myself to no more than 7-10 (never 10-12) shots per session. I find that less practice is better for me in avoiding target panic.

I'm willing to bet Wildhog's never been hunting and a compound seems a little more forgiving to me. Sounds to me like e's doing pretty good. Turns out we are bout the same size so the bow fits him pretty good. I'm tickled to have helped get another hunter in the woods.
Millennials suck...

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 11, 2015, 08:15:53 pm
I'm willing to bet Wildhog's never been hunting and a compound seems a little more forgiving to me. Sounds to me like e's doing pretty good. Turns out we are bout the same size so the bow fits him pretty good. I'm tickled to have helped get another hunter in the woods.

Absolutely! I started with my dad's old Bear recurve as a teen in the late '70s, switched to compounds in the early '80s and went back to recurves in the late '90s.

PharmacistHog

My 8 year old killed his first buck saturday. A small 8 point. Had a really good 8pt walk out first thing but jitters got my boy and he froze up so we settled for a smaller one. Was still proud but we went from a shoulder mounter to a shull mounter.
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

Millennials suck...

grayhawg

PharmacistHog

Millennials suck...

Albert Einswine

PharmacistHog

Thanks so much. We sure enjoy hunting together. Last year I had him (7at the time and my 3year old) both in the stand with me snd they were both quiet. We saw lots of deer. My big one killed his first deer (a doe) while she was walking. She wouldnt stop and he shot her right in the neck. The 8 point saturday ran off and he was upset that he shot him but we wouldnt get to eat him or make summer sausage. I was probsbly mostly proud of that.
Millennials suck...

grayhawg

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 11, 2015, 08:54:13 pm
Daddy was pretty happy and PROUD.
I don't remember the exact day I killed my first buck, somewhere in the mid to late 50's. But my youngest son's first buck I remember very well Nov 10th 1985 he was 11.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: grayhawg on November 11, 2015, 08:50:20 pm
Congrats young man, I'll bet dad needs a bigger hat now.

Good hunting.  As far as bows go I still have my Bear Whitetail II broken down and stored under the bed.  The Last thing I shot with it was a Dog.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 12, 2015, 01:25:33 pm
Good hunting.  As far as bows go I still have my Bear Whitetail II broken down and stored under the bed.  The Last thing I shot with it was a Dog.

Why in thell would you shoot a dog with a bow?
Millennials suck...

Hog_Swanson

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

theFlyingHog

Maybe because he had a neighbor who let his dog ruin his deer hunting

PharmacistHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 12, 2015, 07:07:37 pm
Maybe because he had a neighbor who let his dog ruin his deer hunting

I would never shoot a dog with a bow. The dog is doing what comes natural. If last resort is putting the dog down at least do it with something that will kill him and not make him suffer.
Millennials suck...

Hog_Swanson

I haven't taken my bow hunting in several  years now.  I am thinking about turning it into a fishing rig.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 13, 2015, 11:23:42 am
I haven't taken my bow hunting in several  years now.  I am thinking about turning it into a fishing rig.

It's not a "real" fishing rig unless you cut a piece of cane and and dry it and fashion your own string from natural fibers.   ;)
Millennials suck...

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 12, 2015, 01:25:33 pm
Holy crap! Delta is freaking wild!
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 12, 2015, 07:55:10 pm
I would never shoot a dog with a bow. The dog is doing what comes natural. If last resort is putting the dog down at least do it with something that will kill him and not make him suffer.
Anything you shoot at all is going to suffer to some extent.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 15, 2015, 01:54:52 pm
Anything you shoot at all is going to suffer to some extent.

Normally you cant whistle or kiss your lips together to call a wild animal up for a shot.
Millennials suck...

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 15, 2015, 07:27:22 pm
Normally you cant whistle or kiss your lips together to call a wild animal up for a shot.

You can coyotes and foxes, which I've done... because they're dogs. ;)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 12, 2015, 01:41:33 pm
Why in thell would you shoot a dog with a bow?
Quote from: Wildhog on November 12, 2015, 02:41:32 pm

Cause I was paid too since the folks lived in town and animal control and the owner failed to control it.   1 old Bear Metric Magnum arrow with a Bear Broad head honed razor sharp.   It dropped dead and I bagged it up and took it to the dump.
That was back when I was attending UALR.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wildhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 20, 2015, 02:16:26 pm
Cause I was paid too since the folks lived in town and animal control and the owner failed to control it.   1 old Bear Metric Magnum arrow with a Bear Broad head honed razor sharp.   It dropped dead and I bagged it up and took it to the dump.
That was back when I was attending UALR.

Huh?  Who paid you to shoot it?
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

I wish I had something to say about Delta's revelation. But I got nothing.

str8volfan

first, why are there pictures of a deer killed with a rifle in a bowhunting discussion.

Second, i read through this and all I came up with is that people on message boards can start an argument about anything.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: str8volfan on November 23, 2015, 09:55:46 pm
first, why are there pictures of a deer killed with a rifle in a bowhunting discussion.

Second, i read through this and all I came up with is that people on message boards can start an argument about anything.
You've been around here long enough to know that. You'd need a 2 to 1 mod ratio to keep up with all of the morons on the internet