Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's your best plan for minimizing ticks and snakes?

Started by DOGALUM, January 15, 2015, 10:04:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DOGALUM

Couldn't think of a better forum to put this in......so mods....feel free to move if needed.

I've heard of all kinds of ways.....and tried my fair share.....to keep ticks and snakes out of the yard.  (think sloped yard leading down to lake......not cleared....but not woods either....call it 60-70% "thinned" surrounded by woods on three sides. Typical lake lot.   Lots of leaves, lots of rocks (both in ground and walls/retainers), and lots of wood deck/walkway/stairs) 

I don't think peacocks and/or guinea hens are an option.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

95_alum

My father-in-law has two blue heelers on his farm that take care of any snakes unfortunate enough to find their way on his property.

theFlyingHog

Them Russians did what we now call "scorched earth". They had Germans in mind but me thinks it would work on snakes n ticks

DeltaBoy

Sevin Granulars for your yard and Snake away both available at your Wal Mart.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChromDome35

We have 40 acres in rural Madison county.  Combination of woods, lawn and fields.  What I've found is that in the areas around the house the best defense against snakes is to keep the grass mowed down and eliminate their food sources (rats and mice).

For ticks, again keeping the grass down helps a lot.  We spread Seven Dust on the yard in the spring.  What I've found works best to keep them off me is to treat my clothes with Permithren  http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421863893&sr=8-1&keywords=permethrin

For the rocky/leafy ground...I'm not sure there is anything you can do.  Make a good wide cleared trail out of white rock so the snakes are visible on it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 16, 2015, 07:50:49 am

Them Russians did what we now call "scorched earth". They had Germans in mind but me thinks it would work on snakes n ticks

Yep, it works for sure.......but it's kinda hard on the lawn....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DOGALUM

It's funny....a lot of the yard is gravel that has been brought in.  I have been doing some EPIC leaf burning this past week.  It's like nobody did anything about the leaves for a few years.  Hopefully removing much of their cover.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DeltaBoy

Yep cleaning up stuff like leaves removes shelter and cover the mice and the snakes.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

1highhog

A good dog will take care of any snake problem, I have a Boxer that makes it her business to search and destroy any crawling object, lizards and snakes have no chance.  Problem is, if cats come into view, they suffer the same fate.

As far as ticks, I'm surrounded on all sides by woods right up to my yard, living out in the country, so yes, ticks can be a problem.  Ortho Bug B Gone I've found is a good product for ticks and other crawlers, so if you haven't tried that, check it out.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 1highhog on January 29, 2015, 10:41:00 am
A good dog will take care of any snake problem, I have a Boxer that makes it her business to search and destroy any crawling object, lizards and snakes have no chance.  Problem is, if cats come into view, they suffer the same fate.

As far as ticks, I'm surrounded on all sides by woods right up to my yard, living out in the country, so yes, ticks can be a problem.  Ortho Bug B Gone I've found is a good product for ticks and other crawlers, so if you haven't tried that, check it out.

We use Bug B gone around the house proper. It works great.

Hogberry Snortcake

Hoggish1

Quote from: 95_alum on January 16, 2015, 07:25:42 am
My father-in-law has two blue heelers on his farm that take care of any snakes unfortunate enough to find their way on his property.

Blue Heeler:  Serious dog!

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on June 03, 2015, 01:27:29 pm
Guineas. 

And they make good watch dogs.  Someone pulls up in the drive way, they let you know.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

HawgWild

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Wayne Watson on June 27, 2015, 06:47:35 pm
And they make good watch dogs.  Someone pulls up in the drive way, they let you know.

that's the truth. 

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: HawgWild on June 28, 2015, 01:33:54 pm
Never had fleas. ticks or snakes around when we had some of these.

As long as you can handle the noise.

HawgWild

Yeah, that "Pet rock" "Pet rock" in the middle of the night gets kinda old.  ;D

DeltaBoy

pigture perfect

Oil of cinnamon works well to keep ticks off your pets. It also keeps pets from licking themselves inappropriately. It also makes them smell good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

On yourself we used to mix 1/3 Gold Bond with 1/3 Sulfur,and the final 3rd Sevien Dust.  We just put it in a coffee can with a old tube sock.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on June 03, 2015, 01:27:29 pm
Guineas. 

They are Terminator Birds,  no snakes or any kind of bug survives long with them around.

cbhawg03

Anybody having problems with seed ticks?  Walked twenty feet from pool to porch and pulled about 10 off between four of us. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: cbhawg03 on August 25, 2015, 02:14:00 pm
Anybody having problems with seed ticks?  Walked twenty feet from pool to porch and pulled about 10 off between four of us. 

Mix powder Sulfur and Sevin dust and cover your yard.

Großer Kriegschwein

I had to control the toads and frogs. Did that by controlling the bugs. Then the snakes have no reason to come around. I use Demon WP conservatively, don't turn outside lights on unless I need them, control the water and grass in the yard, make sure leaves and stuff are out of there.

I mow pretty low. If a snake has nowhere to hide, most of the time they don't come around. Remove the food of their food was the key here, and I live in central LA. No shortage of snakes in this area.
This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

I grew up on a Farm in Monroe County and where I live in Texas I go out my back gate walk across the street and I am out of the City Limits and there 70 acres of ranch land back there.   I kill 2-4 copperheads every year.