Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Right Way For Bielema to Handle Hedlund Situation

Started by Mike Irwin, September 10, 2017, 07:52:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

ToddW

A true leader never calls out someone in public.  Based on Hedland's performance th whole country knows he will not be kicking field goals for Arkansas again.

There are other ways to handle that situation.  You could even say.  "As a staff we are going to review all aspects which would include STs."
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

tasteslikechicken

Hedlund has had his chances, he's proven he can't be trusted to kick on this level. Why BB even considered him for the starter this year is beyond me. Should have parted ways long before now.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tasteslikechicken on September 10, 2017, 08:28:34 pm
Hedlund has had his chances, he's proven he can't be trusted to kick on this level. Why BB even considered him for the starter this year is beyond me. Should have parted ways long before now.
You read the article?  Hedlund is dynamite in practice.  The problem is between his ears at gametime.

Squealers

Some similarities with Hedlund and Tampa Bay/Chicago's Aguayo.  Very successful at the lower level, and great practice kickers, but unable to translate that on a bigger stage.

It would be best for Hedlund to step away, transfer, or sit out and get his head together.  Frankly, I don't think either of these 2 kickers will ever be successful at their level.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 10, 2017, 08:23:45 pm
That was good. Really good.

I pull a good one out of my 4th point of contact occasionally. This weekend tested my sobriety brother, God Almighty did it test me.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 10, 2017, 08:32:45 pm
You read the article?  Hedlund is dynamite in practice.  The problem is between his ears at gametime.

I sing like Sully Erna in the shower

tasteslikechicken

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 10, 2017, 08:32:45 pm

I read it. I guess I have just been forever spoiled by Zach Hocker.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: tasteslikechicken on September 10, 2017, 09:15:25 pm
I read it. I guess I have just been forever spoiled by Zach Hocker.

And Steve Little and Kendall Trainor etc etc.

JayHog

The crazy thing about it is that was a Parade All-American and was 1st team All-USA Today player.
There are 3.6 million kids that graduate high school every year, and he supposedly had the best leg out of 3.6 million people. It's just crazy. I feel bad for him and hope he gets it figured out, whether it's here or somewhere else.

Cinco de Hogo

I never get my shorts in a wad over these type things one way or the other, I leave that for folks that wear panties.

Matter of opinion equals no right way.

DOGALUM

2nd coming of Alex Tejada.  All American in practice, nervous head case when the lights come on.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

axharbor

He could just quit. That would be my preferred method.

jchill

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 10, 2017, 09:43:37 pm
2nd coming of Alex Tejada.  All American in practice, nervous head case when the lights come on.

Tejada was a much better kicker than Hedlund.

wachhog

Quote from: axharbor on September 10, 2017, 10:09:07 pm
He could just quit. That would be my preferred method.
Doesn't sound like the head coach inspires confidence in anybody. So, yeah, he should quit. The head coach should just quit.
These are kids who came to play for a man making 4.7 mil a year, and he  publicly throws one under the bus because he is frustrated? He has no idea how frustrated a whole lot of people are with him. And his boss.
Both should quit. Sooner rather than later..

moses_007

CBB should never throw a player under the bus like he did Hedlund.  The correct way is just to say you were disappointed in the field goal misses in his presser, then just not play the kid again.  You don't embarrass a kid on state television like that for a couple of ballgame mistakes.

BroyledNutts

Yeah, Brett ... those two missed field goals are what lost the game. It wasn't the complete lack of an offensive line, only one effective running back, a QB with happy feet and no accuracy, a receiving corps that was completely absent, a lousy offensive game plan, and an out of shape defense that was completely gassed by the 4th quarter thanks to too many offensive 3 and outs - it was a kicker leaving 6 points on the field ...

BTW, you lost by 21 ... 3 + 3 does not equal 21 ... 

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 11, 2017, 12:56:29 am
Yeah, Brett ... those two missed field goals are what lost the game. It wasn't the complete lack of an offensive line, only one effective running back, a QB with happy feet and no accuracy, a receiving corps that was completely absent, a lousy offensive game plan, and an out of shape defense that was completely gassed by the 4th quarter thanks to too many offensive 3 and outs - it was a kicker leaving 6 points on the field ...

Calling Hedlund out was a desperate attempt to deflect the spotlight from CBBs responsibility for your above described play America saw this last Saturday.
And yes there is a right way to handle the Cole Hedlund situation...Have some class and keep this internal while sitting CH on the bench...Very low class move which will become more common for CBB.

We need a change...And will likely be forced to watch what we saw Sat. until the buyout reach's the tipping point and the administration has the nerve to give Razorback Nation what we deserve...Which is a high quality and winning program.

" GO HOGS "

riccoar

Or maybe we could start giving some Arkansas HS kickers a shot.

PonderinHog

I modified the thread title just a little bit.  No need to kick a dog while he's down.

Boarcephus

This situation brings to mind a quote from Petrino, "It's a show me world".  Hedlund found out  what happens when you don't produce and Bielema will as well if the season tanks like many here think it will. 

Hated to see him call the guy out but it was coming eventually.   If he handled it privately the first time he trots out another kicker the reporters will be all over him about it and he'd have to deal with it then. At least it's over with. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pigsknuckles

I had no issue with what Bielema said post game. If you have a QB who is tossing interceptions, no one bats any eye when the coach says "he has to make better decisions". If an RB is putting the ball on the ground, he gets called out for poor ball control. A missed chip shot FG is the same as a turnover in the red zone. Why shouldn't that be worthy of post game comment?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PonderinHog

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you."

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Piggfoot

Quote from: ToddW on September 10, 2017, 08:27:31 pm
A true leader never calls out someone in public.  Based on Hedland's performance th whole country knows he will not be kicking field goals for Arkansas again.

There are other ways to handle that situation.  You could even say.  "As a staff we are going to review all aspects which would include STs."
This may be the "politically correct way" to address the situation but ultimately reporters would pin him down asking why he benched Hedlund.
Hedlund has been given more than enough chances to do his job. He can't and didn't do it and I am sorry for him. It's sad but he chokes.  I don't fault Bielema for his statement. This is big time football. Obviously Bielema forgave Hedlund his first miss but the second was more than most people could take including the fans who booed when  Hedlund trotted on the field.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

tbhogfan

Cole may be great in practice, but the bottom line is that he simply cannot be counted on during a game.  With the wider hash marks, the first field goal was at a bit of a tough angle, but the second one was straight on.   A D1 scholarship kicker has to be almost automatic from 40 yards in, and Cole has proven himself unable to do that. 

It's like any other position on the field: A QB who can't execute a short pass or handoff, a RB who can't hold onto the ball when hit, a WR who can't catch, a LB who can't tackle, an OT who can't block--- they all get benched.   

I'm sure that Cole is a great kid, but there is too much at stake in the SEC to not come up with points when you are on the opponent's 2 yard line.  I wish the kid the best in his future endeavors, but it's time to move on.
Go Hogs!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 11, 2017, 07:58:01 am
I had no issue with what Bielema said post game. If you have a QB who is tossing interceptions, no one bats any eye when the coach says "he has to make better decisions". If an RB is putting the ball on the ground, he gets called out for poor ball control. A missed chip shot FG is the same as a turnover in the red zone. Why shouldn't that be worthy of post game comment?

Holy excellent post!!! Just because he's the kicker doesn't mean he can't be criticized.  CBB and pick a coach in the USA will always call out their star player is he / she had a terrible outing.  I really believe all this negativity and bashing coaches / players over one loss is getting outta hand.  Love the passion some have and hate the bullying and personal attacks on players and coaches.  Very immature, juvenile and sad. 

hoglady

Could have and should have been handled better - Coach vented his overall frustration on one kid.
Not a good look, called out on the SEC Network for it, too.
It's not like he even needed to say a word about the kid losing his starting his job - it was pretty evident to all that he wouldn't be the kicker going forward. No explanation needed.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hoglady on September 11, 2017, 09:53:21 am
Could have and should have been handled better - Coach vented his overall frustration on one kid.
It's not like he even needed to say a word about the kid losing his starting his job - it was pretty evident to all that he wouldn't be the kicker going forward. No explanation needed.

Every coach addresses good and bad things during press conferences. Unfortunately, missing a FG from inside of 20 yards and the clanking one off of the uprights from inside of 20 yards can only be pointed at one person. That's the life of a kicker. There is a GUARANTEE that it will be brought up in the PC by the media. They all saw exactly what everyone saw. He didn't take his frustrations of the game out on the kicker. He did give his take on what we have to do moving forward in that regard.

I guarantee that if the same thing happened to Saban, the kicker would have been fileted before he got to the sideline.

hoglady

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:06:19 am
Every coach addresses good and bad things during press conferences. Unfortunately, missing a FG from inside of 20 yards and the clanking one off of the uprights from inside of 20 yards can only be pointed at one person. That's the life of a kicker. There is a GUARANTEE that it will be brought up in the PC by the media. They all saw exactly what everyone saw. He didn't take his frustrations of the game out on the kicker. He did give his take on what we have to do moving forward in that regard.

I guarantee that if the same thing happened to Saban, the kicker would have been fileted before he got to the sideline.

Sure filet the kid on the sideline - that's fine.
The entire offensive unit - needed some chewing out on the sideline.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SemperFi

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 11, 2017, 07:58:01 am

I have to agree with this ^^. CBB, also needs to admit that his entire game plan for TCU absolutely sucked and take responsibility for that as well. He should have said Hedlund stunk it up because we as coaches failed to identify that he cannot kick FG's during a game. Hedlund has been a big disappointment considering his credentials coming out of HS, but is this something that coaching can overcome? Instead of throwing the kid to the side, can they not find a solution and implement it to help the kid translate what he does in practice in a game? Year 5 and the program looks the same as the day that he arrived. What a joke!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HognotinMemphis

Difficult to believe Hedlund was a Parade All-American in high school yet performs at a very low level in college.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

texas tush hog

Quote from: moses_007 on September 10, 2017, 11:45:34 pm
CBB should never throw a player under the bus like he did Hedlund.  The correct way is just to say you were disappointed in the field goal misses in his presser, then just not play the kid again.  You don't embarrass a kid on state television like that for a couple of ballgame mistakes.
That's what got me. You don't humiliate a 20 year old kid on statewide tv and the press. That is the definition of juvenile. I have been a. Bielema supporter until yesterday when I heard him throw Hedlund under the bus. Cole deserve to be benched but not publically lynched. Take away two field goals we still lose by 20. Hellooo. Bring out the planes.

PorkRinds

Quote from: tasteslikechicken on September 10, 2017, 08:28:34 pm

Because he hit his kicks at a 95% clip during fall camp. No way to know that he's still snake but til it happens again.

PorkRinds

Did you watch the presser? He never once blamed hedlund for the loss.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hoglady on September 11, 2017, 09:53:21 am

No he didn't. It's like some of you didn't even watch the presser. He didn't vent on one kid.  Not even close.

PorkRinds

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 11, 2017, 11:56:31 am
That's what got me. You don't humiliate a 20 year old kid on statewide tv and the press. That is the definition of juvenile. I have been a. Bielema supporter until yesterday when I heard him throw Hedlund under the bus. Cole deserve to be benched but not publically lynched. Take away two field goals we still lose by 20. Hellooo. Bring out the planes.

Some of y'all are crazy.  Lynched? It was a 15 second sound byte. If you were indeed a CBB supporter there's no way in hell that statement changed it. He's called kids out multiple times.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on September 11, 2017, 12:22:49 pm
Not in that demeanor and usually not for on the field performance.

It's happened before. I'd say most coaches do it. The truth is he was going to be asked about it anyway. Heck they asked him about it even after he mentioned they'd be making a change. I don't doubt that his frustration caused him to be a little bit loose lipped, but some of these reactions are people just angry about the loss. If we won by 24 people would be cheering for him to boot hedlund. We lost, so this is just another venting point.

hogcard1964

PorkRinds

HotlantaHog

Here's what he could have said:

Asked about the kicking failures, Bielema said, ``Well, that's a hard question. We always grade every aspect of each game, and we will go back and look at every play and look for ways to make some solid improvements.''

``The failures were just not about kicking. We need to go back and see what happened in the series leading up to the kicks. We really need to punch the ball across the goal line and score touchdowns -- that is our goal. Then kick the extra points.''

``There's never any one reason for a loss in a quarter or a game. This is a team game where the execution by every player on the field matters. We will go back and make sure we get the execution better.''

``Next question?''

MemphisBossHog

I understand the frustration about how BB handled the situation, but I saw the presser live and I never got the impression that he blamed the loss on Hedlund.  I thought what he said was fine up and until he said to miss the equivalent of a PAT with a perfect snap and protection was "juvenile."   I could have done without that, but really when you listen to what he said, it was an answer to a question about the kicking game.  He simply said he was going to have to find another option--maybe go for it every time.  He never said that Cole missing the 2 FGs cost the team the game.  He was asked about a facet of the football team--the kicking game--and he said they werent getting it done. 

In hindsight, I guess it would have been better to simply say "we have to do better in the kicking game" and then just put someone else out there to kick FGs.  That would have been better, but BB never said that Cole cost the team the game.  He just didnt.

PorkRinds

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 11, 2017, 01:13:08 pm
I understand the frustration about how BB handled the situation, but I saw the presser live and I never got the impression that he blamed the loss on Hedlund.  I thought what he said was fine up and until he said to miss the equivalent of a PAT with a perfect snap and protection was "juvenile."   I could have done without that, but really when you listen to what he said, it was an answer to a question about the kicking game.  He simply said he was going to have to find another option--maybe go for it every time.  He never said that Cole missing the 2 FGs cost the team the game.  He was asked about a facet of the football team--the kicking game--and he said they werent getting it done. 

In hindsight, I guess it would have been better to simply say "we have to do better in the kicking game" and then just put someone else out there to kick FGs.  That would have been better, but BB never said that Cole cost the team the game.  He just didnt.

Exactly. If he had not said that about Hedlund how many of the same people would be here complaining about coach speak and that he's being soft on hedlund?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hoglady on September 11, 2017, 11:24:57 am
Sure filet the kid on the sideline - that's fine.
The entire offensive unit - needed some chewing out on the sideline.

Some of you are trying to pull the "bully" thing with CBB. There is plenty to blame him for, but calling out a kicker isn't one of them. It could have been much much worse.

Nick Saban after a win: "Really disappointed that we couldn't go out and finish the game, fumbling when we're trying to take the air out of the ball. That's not the type of football we're playing here. There is no room for it in our program."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you think he was talking to the whole team or just the dude that fumbled the ball? Probably the dude that fumbled the ball. Big Bully. 5 national championships, what the hell does he know.

The people that needed an ass chewin after the TCU loss:

Nance (throat slash)
Dan Enos (improper play calling and personnel groupings inside the 5 ydl)
Cole Hedlund (obvious)
Stewart (fumble)
Allen (pugilistic with his receivers on the field)
Michael Smith (not getting his receivers where they are supposed to be)

Bret Bielema (responsible for this whole mess, not likely to happen though)

Probably missed a few in there somewhere.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 01:34:11 pm
Some of you are trying to pull the "bully" thing with CBB. There is plenty to blame him for, but calling out a kicker isn't one of them. It could have been much much worse.

Nick Saban after a win: "Really disappointed that we couldn't go out and finish the game, fumbling when we're trying to take the air out of the ball. That's not the type of football we're playing here. There is no room for it in our program."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you think he was talking to the whole team or just the dude that fumbled the ball? Probably the dude that fumbled the ball. Big Bully. 5 national championships, what the hell does he know.

The people that needed an ass chewin after the TCU loss:

Nance (throat slash)
Dan Enos (improper play calling and personnel groupings inside the 5 ydl)
Cole Hedlund (obvious)
Stewart (fumble)
Allen (pugilistic with his receivers on the field)
Michael Smith (not getting his receivers where they are supposed to be)

Bret Bielema (responsible for this whole mess, not likely to happen though)

Probably missed a few in there somewhere.

Exactly right.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 11, 2017, 01:13:08 pm

Or he could've rightly stated that he was disappointed that a quality kicker missed a couple easy field goal attempts, and then added in addition to that his entire offense was abysmal, and take ownership of it ... he didn't do that ... he muttered around, trying not to say anything that would sound critical, and when pressed about his team's putrid performance he picked the lowest hanging fruit to feed the media.

PorkRinds

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 11, 2017, 02:23:37 pm
Or he could've rightly stated that he was disappointed that a quality kicker missed a couple easy field goal attempts, and then added in addition to that his entire offense was abysmal, and take ownership of it ... he didn't do that ... he muttered around, trying not to say anything that would sound critical, and when pressed about his team's putrid performance he picked the lowest hanging fruit to feed the media.

That's just it, he proved he wasn't a quality kicker. He'd be hammered here if he had said Hedlund was a quality kicker that missed a couple.