Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would you say is the best Point Guard the Hogs have had?

Started by hogsanity, January 09, 2006, 01:39:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I say Lee MAyberry.  He could find the open man.  He would find the BEST open man.  He could dribble drive.  And, if you backed off him he would put a 3 on you every time.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

musiccityhog

corey beck , not a great shooter, but more heart than anyone.
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

Shag66

Beck and Mayberry were probably the best.

Allie Freeman was probably my favorite

Chief Mac

Quote from: musiccityhog on January 09, 2006, 01:43:33 pm
corey beck , not a great shooter, but more heart than anyone.

Without a doubt Corey Beck.  I like Lee Mayberry, but Corey had it all and was tough as nails.  As Nolan used to say, "Some players play to play, Corey Beck plays to win."

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

djgaffer

I will go Mayberry with ease..  Corey was great too and a great leader, but Lee was more complete.  Sure would be nice to have either now.  Or Kareem Reid for that matter. 

hogsanity

Scott Rose, now that goes back a few years. 

I should have preferenced this with " that you saw play" 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

othermac

"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Hardwork321

hogfankb

Quote from: djgaffer on January 09, 2006, 01:46:09 pm
I will go Mayberry with ease.. Corey was great too and a great leader, but Lee was more complete. Sure would be nice to have either now. Or Kareem Reid for that matter.

Oh god please do not throw kareem reid's name into this company. TO machine. Took horrible shots.

With the team we have right now I would have to go with Mayberry. We need a shooter. Beck was great and the perfect fit for the team he was on. Wish we could put half of his guts in the guys right now. We would be a top 25 team if they all played as hard has Beck.

jkcrunch

player=Mayberry  leader=slight edge to Beck.    Both these guys refused to allow there teams to get beat.  Remember Mayberry almost by himself beating Texas in OT or how about Beck who shot 50% from the line unless the game was on the line then he was automatic.   
I think McCurdy has some of that toughness but we will see.

SultanofSwine

Beck hands down as a pure point guard and team leader.

Chief Mac

Quote from: othermac on January 09, 2006, 01:51:05 pm
got to be corey, hard to argue with championships.

exactly....both players had great talent around them, Beck's team won it all.  Corey did what ever the team needed (pts, asst, rbs, etc...)

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Shocktheman

Not sure about the pointguard, but Darnell Robinson had to be the best center to ever put a hog uniform on!!!  :puke:

hogsanity

Sad thing is we cant come up with more than 2 legit PG's in recent, or not so recent memory.

WindyCityHog

Corey Beck.  Mayberry a distant 2nd.

Beck would routinely have a stat line that was impressive.....and he didn't have to score to make it that way.

There were others.....but I have a soft spot for the starting PG that led the Hogs to their only national championship.

SultanofSwine

That's not true sanity, the question was who was the best not who is in your top five or ten.

Beck, Mayberry, Reid, Freeman, McDaniels, Bowers, etc, etc were all solid PG's in fairly recent times.

jeffshogs

Get your bird dog butt up and down the court!

hogfan98

best scoring pg:  mayberry
best "floor general":  beck

Hogs4Ever

Overal talent: Mayberry

Best leader and Court Genearl:  Beck

tulsahog36

Alvin Robertson.   To the idiot who said Darnell Robertson was the best center: that is why he never made in the pros while Joe Klein spent the better part of a decade and Oliver Miller about 5 years. 

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

camelt

Quote from: tulsahog36 on January 09, 2006, 03:16:27 pm
Alvin Robertson. To the idiot who said Darnell Robertson was the best center: that is why he never made in the pros while Joe Klein spent the better part of a decade and Oliver Miller about 5 years.

Alvin was a stud.

snortman

Two more nobody is saying,   Boothead, and Ricky Norton

Either one of them with todays 3-point line would have killed the opposition

razorson

Do I have to say his name? Do I have to speak his name? Say who? Corey Beck!

gr123163

cut me and i will bleed a hog

hogtheball

I'd have to say Lee Maybury. Put him with Corliss and he'd have been better.  By the way, was Ron Brewer the point guard for the triplets in 78?  If so, he's gotta be high on the list.  Also, was the Darnell Robinson statement a joke?  Joe Klein was better in college, the pros, and could still take Darnell at the youth center.  So could Andrew Lang.  So could big O. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

PiggyBack

Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

WILL CLINTON

Beck and Mayberry.  the only 2 I ever saw play before the point guard play went down hill. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HF_Mudd

Alvin Robertson. To the idiot who said Darnell Robertson was the best center: that is why he never made in the pros while Joe Klein spent the better part of a decade and Oliver Miller about 5 years.

And of course that's why he put the barfing emoticon after his statement...to drive home the truth!!

Ron Brewer Sr., Mayberry and Beck.  Give Beck the edge bc he has the ring.
And so it is, my friend....

HaWg 10

"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Soooie21

Ron Brewer Sr...pg..other guards,,,Moncrief, Walker, Robertson, Norton...

Shocktheman

This is obvious smart a$$!  It was a sarcastic comment!! 

HF_Mudd

Quote from: ET Hog Fan on January 09, 2006, 04:14:22 pm

This is obvious smart a$$! It was a sarcastic comment!!

I humbly request some applause for pointing this out earlier.  I need to break my applause cherry over here at hogville
And so it is, my friend....

Shocktheman

Quote from: HF_Mudd on January 09, 2006, 04:16:17 pm
Quote from: ET Hog Fan on January 09, 2006, 04:14:22 pm

This is obvious smart a$$! It was a sarcastic comment!!

I humbly request some applause for pointing this out earlier. I need to break my applause cherry over here at hogville

Thanks so very much!!  I do applaud you!

bigt54

My vote goes to Beck.  Something I don't think he gets enough credit for is his scoring in crucial situations.  If you watch some of those NC year games and time after time when we needed a point or needed to break the momentum of the other team Beck would drive the lane and gets some points. 
Second would be Robert Sheppard (Joking)

How bout adding Pargo as a shooter to this team.

"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

100+GM HAWG

Mayberry would be #1. Followed very closely by Corey Beck. Beck makes our players this year look like a bunch of little girls.

But Mayberry could do it all!

hogsilly

I wish we had Kareem Reid the way he is playing now for the Rimrockers.

HBTHogs

I don't care who could do what.  The goal is to win.  Beck was a winner.  If you can't shoot, you can't dribble, you can't pass... it just doesn't matter if you can somehow win.  Winning is all that matters.  Beck knew how to win.  He knew what it took and he was willing to do it. 

Put Beck on this team and we're a top 4 seed.  Beck wouldn't stand for the attitude that these guys play with.  He was a man and that's something this team lacks... even amongst the coaching staff.

Tejano Jawg

Impossible to get one answer on this. Several great players who played at different times on very different teams.

•Ron Sr, one of the triplets, put Arkansas on the map. Since they all were 6-4, I don't always think of Brewer as a point guard, kinda like I don't always consider Delph a forward. Remember his last shot as a Hog? Last second game winner vs Notre Dame. He was like that.
•US Reed? Same question as above...was he a point guard? He played point sometimes. Like the Boot, he's a legend too...acrobatic dunker for a smaller guy and a last second shot game winner (Texas, A+M, and Louisville).
•Mayberry. I think he started every game as a Hog...4 years worth. Lots of steals and assists...vs turnover ratio incredible.
•Beck. Lead us to the title. Nuff said. If I had to cast one vote, he would be it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

pfrg999

Beck - The heart and Soul of the team... He took more charges that anyone I have ever seen
Mayberry- could dish and score...
Reid - Career Assist leader.. But was so wild and took so many chances... he is only there because of being the all-time assist leader
Robert Sheppard was as stong a player as anyone...
Crawford and McDaniel...
Norton
U.S. Reed
Alvin
All of them are tougher than anyone (except Brewer) on todays team... they need to watch the old games... they could learn a thing or two...or three..

Great Memories
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Hawgz4Life

Peanut Adams.....lol! JK. Corey Beck..I loved the way that kid would take a charge. KAPOW!

[attachment deleted by admin]

razorbacker80

Brewer Sr. was the best I've seen with respect to a shooting PG
Corey Beck is probably the best floor general.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rlamb

Corey Beck, who looked like a choir boy, but played like a Tiger!!!   In the N/C year, Nolan always said we;ll go as far as Corey Beck takes us !!!

Foshodo

Quote from: djgaffer on January 09, 2006, 01:46:09 pm
I will go Mayberry with ease.. Corey was great too and a great leader, but Lee was more complete. Sure would be nice to have either now. Or Kareem Reid for that matter.

Reid is muh favorite... but i know he hasnt been the best... my vote goes to Lee.

bigcountry27

I always liked Kareem Reid but I loved Corey Beck I played with the 94 team on March Madness 2006 last night and loved it.