Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Montaric Brown

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, August 21, 2017, 12:41:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Montaric Brown has officially arrived on campus and he is cleared to play! WOO PIG
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Con el Cerdos

He's so far behind the others, due to late arrival, that he will probably red shirt; unless injury depletes the safety rank.

phadedhawg

Tarheelhawg

Polecat

Congrats to this young man for staying the course. Looking forward to his future contributions
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Seebs

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on August 21, 2017, 12:56:12 pm
He's so far behind the others, due to late arrival, that he will probably red shirt; unless injury depletes the safety rank.

Good Lord Eeyore ... celebrate that he made it on campus. The rest will work itself out.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

PorkSoda

maybe maybe not.  If he is that good, he will find a way to get on the field, if we don't need him he will have the extra time to focus on the classroom and weight room.

its a win win either way.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

younghog

He is GOOD ENOUGH to still play..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

VBCHog

I can see him redshirting if Curl and Hernandez are good enough to be good backups but if he doesn't redshirt I can see hil pushing for PT by the end of the year. He is the talented type of player we have needed in the defensive backfield.

Vantage 8 dude

Well.....how 'bout considering that it sure beats the heck out of the alternative.  ??? :) :D ;D Think about it......

TexasRazorback

Glad Montaric made it to campus, From all the articles it sounded like he was eager to get to campus and join the team. Safety position just got a little bit deeper

daBoar

Quote from: Polecat on August 21, 2017, 01:29:14 pm
Congrats to this young man for staying the course. Looking forward to his future contributions
This....and wow.  I'd have to say this is uncommon.

hawgmasta

HUGE! Having an elite safety would've helped us out so much in previous years, so excited to watch him progress!

The Hawg Marshal

It's hard to red shirt guys with a lot of talent, you can lose em after only getting 2 years playing time(Philon). If he's good enough and gets caught up, he'll play.

ricepig

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on August 21, 2017, 07:51:39 pm
It's hard to red shirt guys with a lot of talent, you can lose em after only getting 2 years playing time(Philon). If he's good enough and gets caught up, he'll play.

I'd be really surprised if he plays this year. He really needs to put on some weight, he looked skinny in high school.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on August 21, 2017, 07:51:39 pm

What was philons story?  He wasn't your normal 3 year 1 redshirt player.  Was it an injury? 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 21, 2017, 09:18:20 pm
What was philons story?  He wasn't your normal 3 year 1 redshirt player.  Was it an injury?

He was injured his senior year of HS. Meniscus I believe. Alabama asked him to grayshirt, he signed with the Hogs late in the day of NSD after dawning a Tide hat at his ceremony. Redshirted his true freshman year, played for two and then drafted.

Took Alabama games personally. Lol.
This is my non-signature signature.

(notOM)Rebel123

...and you know this how? Just be happy for the kid.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

onebadrubi

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 21, 2017, 09:48:37 pm
He was injured his senior year of HS. Meniscus I believe. Alabama asked him to grayshirt, he signed with the Hogs late in the day of NSD after dawning a Tide hat at his ceremony. Redshirted his true freshman year, played for two and then drafted.

Took Alabama games personally. Lol.

Yeah I knew the prior to getting here story.  Sorry could t remember the rest, should have been more clear.  Thanks though!

RaisinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 08:00:39 pm
I'd be really surprised if he plays this year. He really needs to put on some weight, he looked skinny in high school.

This .. he litterally weighs a buck 70 ... He will prolly be a good player for us but he has some work too do ..Not many 170 lb saftey in the sec

onebadrubi

Quote from: RaisinHog on August 21, 2017, 10:32:18 pm
This .. he litterally weighs a buck 70 ... He will prolly be a good player for us but he has some work too do ..Not many 170 lb saftey in the sec

Let's hope the jump from a small Arkansas weight program to the Arkansas program will get him up to a good playing weight.

RaisinHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 21, 2017, 10:52:50 pm
Let's hope the jump from a small Arkansas weight program to the Arkansas program will get him up to a good playing weight.

O I'm sure the nutrition and weight program will get him too wear he needs too be .. but too think he is Gona add the weight and learn the system in time too be a contributor this season is a bit un realistic .. it happens all the time with highly regarded instate players fans have such high hopes they  get disipointed if a kid isn't great right out of the gate .. although I think 4a is one of the tougher classification in AR it's still a far cry from the SEC .. they still sometimes need time too mature and develop .. no big deal .. I also personally don't feel he is the kind of player that will be heading too the NFL in 3 years but .. I sure hope I'm wrong cause that would mean he had a great career at AR. Good luck Mr. Brown

Hawgphat

However long it takes the young man to get "up to speed 'and acclimated to the rigors of SEC-brand football, I'm very pleased and very excited to have him on board with us now.  I look forward to great things from this premier quality young Hog.

hawg66

The three safeties we have are all true strong safeties. Rhoads has talked about it. Liddell is playing free by default but doesn't really have the speed. Brown is a true free safety and if you've seen him play you should be very excited. He's got great instincts and plays the ball in the air better than any safety on the hill in a long time. I think he'll play by midseason

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hawg66 on August 22, 2017, 08:23:24 am
The three safeties we have are all true strong safeties. Rhoads has talked about it. Liddell is playing free by default but doesn't really have the speed. Brown is a true free safety and if you've seen him play you should be very excited. He's got great instincts and plays the ball in the air better than any safety on the hill in a long time. I think he'll play by midseason
I agree, why i have always thought Pettway should have been a safety from day 1.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

woodhog14

Quote from: hawg66 on August 22, 2017, 08:23:24 am

I think he's going to redshirt. He's missed too much time and still needs to add about 12-15 pounds. He should be a good one though.

PorkRinds

Quote from: woodhog14 on August 22, 2017, 12:24:37 pm
I think he's going to redshirt. He's missed too much time and still needs to add about 12-15 pounds. He should be a good one though.

Agreed.

redleg

I'm very happy Montaric made it to campus, and will begin classes and practice at Arkansas. That is a good thing. But there are a few factors to take into consideration concerning whether or not he will play in 2017.
1. He is getting to campus really late, and is way behind everyone else on the team. It will be extremely difficult for him to get up to speed in ten days leading to Game 1.
2. He only weighs 175 lbs as a safety. He really should redshirt, hit the weight room under Coach Herb's guidance, and pack on fifteen to twenty pounds of muscle between now and August 2018. A 190-195 lbs redshirt freshman tackling a 230 lbs RB is less likely to suffer an injury, than a 175 lbs true freshman tackling that same RB.
3. Arkansas has three quality safeties on the team (Liddell, Coley, Ramirez) along with some unproven, but talented redshirt freshmen (Smith, Edwards). Other than a rash of injuries at safety, there is no reason to force Brown onto the playing field...even if he shows off some rare talent. Don't waste a season for probable minimal play on defense and/or special teams.

IMO  8)
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 21, 2017, 09:18:20 pm

Injured his senior year, which led to Bama downgrading him to a greyshirt, leading Philon to come to Arkansas instead. We didn't really have a choice to not redshirt him his freshmen year due to that injury. He played sparingly his first year healthy behind current NFL DT Robert Thomas until Thomas was injured. Then, Philon played all of his RsSo season and left to the NFL.

Essentially, him redshirting his freshmen season is the only reason we got to play him for 2 years in the first place. If we didn't have to redshirt him, then he would have been playing for Bama.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

supersaint

This guy is a heat seeking missle.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Polecat

Quote from: daBoar on August 21, 2017, 07:44:46 pm
This....and wow.  I'd have to say this is uncommon.

Thanks man. So many haters taking any opportunity to be negative. The kid could have gone to any number of schools, but chose to stay home and play for the Hogs.
That alone is worth an attaboy in my book
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Calling All Hogs

I agree a redshirt year would help him develop and get up to speed. As far as the program goes, a redshirt helps only if he will be here 5 years.

Porkys Revenge

No way he redcraps. None.

PonderinHog

supersaint

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on August 26, 2017, 07:31:18 pm
No way he redcraps. None.

If he does, he needs to see a doctor and or alter his diet.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

RzrbckMAJ

With Pulley out for the season, is there any chance that Brown sees some time at the cornerback position? Never seen him play but everything I have read leads me to believe he is a gifted athlete that could give us quality minutes at that position.
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
-- General George S. Patton, Jr

PorkRinds

Quote from: RzrbckMAJ on September 06, 2017, 07:46:35 am
With Pulley out for the season, is there any chance that Brown sees some time at the cornerback position? Never seen him play but everything I have read leads me to believe he is a gifted athlete that could give us quality minutes at that position.

Not if they can help it.

JayBell

You slide corners over safety, not the other way around.  Being a talented safety is more akin to being a good linebacker than it is to being a cornerback.  Half of Arkansas' linebackers were safeties in high school.

colbs

Quote from: RzrbckMAJ on September 06, 2017, 07:46:35 am
He is a safety.  I doubt it as he came in so late and probably a little light.  The only way I see it is if Richardson moves to CB, Liddell moves to nickel, and they feel like Brown is up to speed on the playbook.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RaisinHog on August 21, 2017, 11:04:23 pm
O I'm sure the nutrition and weight program will get him too wear he needs too be .. but too think he is Gona add the weight and learn the system in time too be a contributor this season is a bit un realistic .. it happens all the time with highly regarded instate players fans have such high hopes they  get disipointed if a kid isn't great right out of the gate .. although I think 4a is one of the tougher classification in AR it's still a far cry from the SEC .. they still sometimes need time too mature and develop .. no big deal .. I also personally don't feel he is the kind of player that will be heading too the NFL in 3 years but .. I sure hope I'm wrong cause that would mean he had a great career at AR. Good luck Mr. Brown

That quote was to difficult for me two understand too which  (to, two, too) you were trying too use two...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Uncle Remus

According to Brett Bielema last night on his radio show, there are still some NCAA clearance issues that they are still trying to make sure they are completely clear of before they would consider putting him on the field.  He did confirm he is on campus and in class but that that there is still something out there they are waiting on final word on...whatever that is.

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle Remus on September 08, 2017, 11:17:47 am
According to Brett Bielema last night on his radio show, there are still some NCAA clearance issues that they are still trying to make sure they are completely clear of before they would consider putting him on the field.  He did confirm he is on campus and in class but that that there is still something out there they are waiting on final word on...whatever that is.

Correct, he can practice, but until he gets the Clearinghouse seal of approval, that's all he can do. It's sort of like Michael Taylor last year, basically just a redshirt year.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on September 08, 2017, 11:43:21 am
Kid should redshirt. CBB plays too many kids that should redshirt and develop, which is what a program like Arkansas needs to thrive.

Then again, if the dog can bite as a pup...

I don't think Coach B is any different than other coaches. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pigsfeat

"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

JayBell

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on September 08, 2017, 11:43:21 amKid should redshirt. CBB plays too many kids that should redshirt and develop, which is what a program like Arkansas needs to thrive.

So now the complaint is Bielema plays too many young players?  It's impossible to keep up on Hogville.

Kevin

Quote from: Pigsfeat on September 08, 2017, 04:59:59 pm
Or can't/won't do a thing to North Carolina's athletes who took fake classes...

they will not do anything to carolina
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22