Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Awdarn's new Qb????

Started by PORKULATOR, March 29, 2017, 08:26:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PORKULATOR

Is Jarrett Stidham another typical Auburn tranny or a good kid that did not have a clue as to what he was getting in to at Baylor? I know nothing.
He's already considered better than AA.??
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Bacon_Bitz

hawgwash

bennyl08

Baylor's qb's always put up pretty good numbers worst case and great numbers best case.

For Stidham, in 2015 for Baylor, he put up 75 for 109 (68.8% completion) for 1265 yards, 11.6 ypa, 12 td's, and only 2 int's in the big 12. Prima facia, that is really good. He added another 70 yards on 36 carries for 2 td's. However, when you break things down, you get a slightly different story.

For starters, he played in mop up duty in 7 games before getting major action in the first 3 games. He went 24 of of 28 in the blowouts for 331 yards and 11.8 ypa, with a 6:0 td:int ratio. However, again, all of this was in blowout victories against teams that baylor was crushing before he ever got into the game.

Then, @KSU, he went 23 of 33 (70%) as the only qb playing for baylor, 419 yards, 3td:0int. That was the same year we played them in the bowl and BA went 20-26 (77%) for 315 and 1:1. We  had success throwing, but ran the ball a lot more (34 carries, 103 yards 1 td vs 42 carries, 254 yards 5 tds) as we blew them out and Baylor barely escaped with the win (hence they had to throw it more).

Next we have a loss at home vs Oklahoma. This was his worst game by far going 16-27 (59.3%) for 257 yards 2 tds but also 2 interceptions. Not a terrible game though, and this was an Oklahoma team that made the playoffs though were heavily embarrassed by the Clemson team.

Finally, he played the first half against Oklahoma State before being injured himself. In that game, he went 12-21 (57%) for 258 yards and a single td.

In the 2.5 games he had significant playing time and not just mop up, he went 51-81 (63%) for 934 yards (11.5 ypa) and had a 6:2 td:int ration. Still, pretty good but not as inflated as originally.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogginbama

No need to fret, the QB guru will have him throwing like a QB for da'Bears in no time.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: hawgwash on March 29, 2017, 08:30:22 pm
That means a transfer, right?
of course, what'd you think it meant.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

GoHogs1091

Auburn better be hoping he makes it out of Clemson Memorial Stadium in one piece.

The 2017 Clemson Defensive Line will be brutal for opposing teams.  Everyone of the probable Clemson starting Defensive Linemen could be a future 1st Round NFL Draft pick.

hawginbigd1

I watched his games, I think Auburn got a top notch QB, I just don't see him fitting Gus' offense. He throws a pretty deep ball, iirc his first college snap was a 65 yd TD he threw about 50 yards on the WR like he handed it to him.

Hey Super

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 29, 2017, 11:44:14 pm
I watched his games, I think Auburn got a top notch QB, I just don't see him fitting Gus' offense. He throws a pretty deep ball, iirc his first college snap was a 65 yd TD he threw about 50 yards on the WR like he handed it to him.

You're technically correct, at SMU actually, I was at that game with my friend who went to Baylor. His first snap ever was actually a penalty ;) but his first recorded throw was a deep TD pass.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

hawganatic

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 29, 2017, 11:44:14 pm

Actually the reason why he's getting so much hype right now is because people think he does fit Gus's system.  Appears to have a great arm and is mobile/fast enough to run his ground game also.  Obviously not going to be as much of a threat running as Nick Marshall, but good enough where the defense is going to have to defend against it.

He has also been under two other coaching staffs and received development there.  Malzahn seems to be at his best when he has a transfer QB that received good coaching at another school, and stepped in to run his system.

younghog

GO HOGS

Hey Super

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

goodguytex

I wonder if this new QB has a criminal record or has had a parent sell him to the highest bidder? He's not qualified for auburn if one of those things isn't the case.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawganatic on March 30, 2017, 10:55:56 am
Actually the reason why he's getting so much hype right now is because people think he does fit Gus's system.  Appears to have a great arm and is mobile/fast enough to run his ground game also.  Obviously not going to be as much of a threat running as Nick Marshall, but good enough where the defense is going to have to defend against it.

He has also been under two other coaching staffs and received development there.  Malzahn seems to be at his best when he has a transfer QB that received good coaching at another school, and stepped in to run his system.

He is an electronically timed 4.74 forty coming out of HS. Which seems to put him right where you listed. Not going to be a major run threat, but is enough of a threat you can't ignore either.

The good news is that he appears to mostly be a straight line speed kind of guy as his shuttle was only a 4.31. Think of DeShaun Watson's athletic ability. He's not a michael Vick back there, but he can do some damage with his legs, but now take that damage Watson can do, and have him run a full tenth of a second slower. Tight in between Watson's athleticism and BA's.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

lasthog

Quote from: hawganatic on March 30, 2017, 10:55:56 am

I'm sure you're right in your thinking, but wasn't Jeremy Johnson picked as pre-season All-SEC quarterback a couple of seasons or so ago, when his only start and significant playing time was the first half against Arkansas the previous year?

Don't believe that turned out to be spot-on.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 30, 2017, 02:55:08 pm
He is an electronically timed 4.74 forty coming out of HS. Which seems to put him right where you listed. Not going to be a major run threat, but is enough of a threat you can't ignore either.

The good news is that he appears to mostly be a straight line speed kind of guy as his shuttle was only a 4.31. Think of DeShaun Watson's athletic ability. He's not a michael Vick back there, but he can do some damage with his legs, but now take that damage Watson can do, and have him run a full tenth of a second slower. Tight in between Watson's athleticism and BA's.
but give him a much better arm than Jackson.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HawgTide

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 29, 2017, 11:36:10 pm
Auburn better be hoping he makes it out of Clemson Memorial Stadium in one piece.

The 2017 Clemson Defensive Line will be brutal for opposing teams.  Everyone of the probable Clemson starting Defensive Linemen could be a future 1st Round NFL Draft pick.

I miss these. It does make me wonder if you go to the Clemson board to talk up the Hogs

Vantage 8 dude

The way old Gussie tends to play it you could almost call it "rent a QB".

The_Iceman

Former #1 QB prospect in the country out of high school. He can run too.

Good addition for them. They should be dangerous this year.

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 30, 2017, 03:12:38 pm
but give him a much better arm than Jackson.

Louisville Jackson, or a different Jackson?

goodguytex

The way old Gussie tends to play it you could almost call it "rent a QB".
[/quote]
Hence this post...

Quote from: goodguytex on March 30, 2017, 01:13:25 pm
I wonder if this new QB has a criminal record or has had a parent sell him to the highest bidder? He's not qualified for auburn if one of those things isn't the case.

hawganatic

Quote from: lasthog on March 30, 2017, 03:11:01 pm
I'm sure you're right in your thinking, but wasn't Jeremy Johnson picked as pre-season All-SEC quarterback a couple of seasons or so ago, when his only start and significant playing time was the first half against Arkansas the previous year?

Don't believe that turned out to be spot-on.

Jeremy Johnson never had the advantage of having actual QB coaching.  Malzahn is very good at running his system, but we still haven't seen (at least that I can think of) him take a QB and build him from the ground up.  Every time GM has had success it's been with a QB that has been around for a while and under another coaching staff.

Whether this kid is what people think he is, we will see in the fall.  I don't think he'll be worse than what they've had on campus the last couple of years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgwash on March 29, 2017, 08:30:22 pm
That means a transfer, right?

Maybe not at old barn...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redleg

A good system QB for Gus' system offense.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

factchecker

Gus does better with transfer QBs. I can't think of the last QB that Gus recruited and developed out of high school.

Kiehl Frazier is a case study on Gus' ability to "develop".  All-American out of high school and he ends his career at Ouachita Baptist in Arkadelphia.

Crazy how Kiehl and Brandon were both being compared in high school:

One is in the NFL and one is..... What is Kiehl doing now a days?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DeltaBoy

Quote from: factchecker on March 31, 2017, 09:05:41 am
Gus does better with transfer QBs. I can't think of the last QB that Gus recruited and developed out of high school.

Kiehl Frazier is a case study on Gus' ability to "develop".  All-American out of high school and he ends his career at Ouachita Baptist in Arkadelphia.

Crazy how Kiehl and Brandon were both being compared in high school:

One is in the NFL and one is..... What is Kiehl doing now a days?

Yep Kiehl got ruined the Gus Bus!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

Pretty sure they have a new OC. Run game may not change much due to its effectiveness and the passing game could be revamped. At least that's how I would go about things.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 29, 2017, 11:36:10 pm

Only your post could make me pull for awbarn to torch clemson.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 31, 2017, 02:03:13 pm
Only your post could make me pull for awbarn to torch clemson.

I wouldn't count on Auburn winning at Clemson.  From 2013 to present, Clemson has lost a total of only 2 games at home.  One of those 2 losses was a 1 point loss (to Pittsburgh) in which the Referee was a University of South Carolina Graduate with an axe to grind.

Auburn probably won't be as good on Defense compared to last season.

Auburn may be slightly better on Offense compared to last season.

Clemson probably won't have as big of a drop off on Offense without Watson as some nationally may feel.  Bryant and Cooper could probably be starting at QB for all but about 10-15 teams in the rest of the FBS.  Clemson's Wide Receiver Corps will still be elite.  Some have said that Running Back, Feaster, is better than C.J. Spiller, who was an unanimous All-American at Clemson in 2009.

Clemson should be better in their Defensive Front 7 (particularly at DL) compared to their Defensive Front 7 last season.  Yes, they lose Boulware at LB, but Boulware's replacement will probably be more athletic and perhaps more talented.

go hogues

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 31, 2017, 10:14:51 pm
I wouldn't count on Auburn winning at Clemson.  From 2013 to present, Clemson has lost a total of only 2 games at home.  One of those 2 losses was a 1 point loss (to Pittsburgh) in which the Referee was a University of South Carolina Graduate with an axe to grind.

Clemson probably won't have as big of a drop off on Offense without Watson as some nationally may feel.  Bryant and Cooper could probably be starting at QB for all but about 10-15 teams in the rest of the FBS.  Clemson's Wide Receiver Corps will still be elite.  Some have said that Running Back, Feaster, is better than C.J. Spiller, who was an unanimous All-American at Clemson in 2009.

Clemson should be better in their Defensive Front 7 (particularly at DL) compared to their Defensive Front 7 last season.  Yes, they lose Boulware at LB, but Boulware's replacement will probably be more athletic and perhaps more talented.
Venables, Conque, et al.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

goodguytex

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 31, 2017, 10:14:51 pm

If only Auburn would hire Clint Conque, they might have a chance against Clemson! LOL

The_Iceman

hawginbigd1

Yep he looked good, but he also only went against the 2's, they didn't go good on good at all.