Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you take a sweet 16 this year

Started by Bkhardicars, February 14, 2018, 06:45:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bkhardicars

If it meant Gafford goes pro, or would you rather have Gafford back another year and see what happens? I'd like a sweet 16 AND get Gafford another year, but I think if I had to pick, I'd take the sweet 16 this year and wish him well. I THINK the young guys on the squad and the new ones next year will play Mikes kind of Defense and surprise people..

Illinihog

Before the year I expected a S16 appearance with what we had coming back.  Before January I had the same expectations.  Now?  I don't know what to expect.

Bkhardicars

I'm with you. After we beat OU and UCON, I was confident we were sweet 16 bound. Now, really wouldn't be surprised to get bounced first or  2nd round, nor would I be shocked if we went sweet 16..Hope they go all the way!

Breems

I'll take a guaranteed Sweet Sixteen all day long. Gafford leaving would suck, but it's also a positive in terms of sending another big man to the league. We have a solid case for recruiting and developing big men now with Portis, Kingsley, and Gafford.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hollywood_HOGan45

I want a sweet 16 gaff or no gaff next year. It's been way way way too long. We should never go 21 years without a sweet 16.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Bkhardicars on February 14, 2018, 06:45:56 pm
If it meant Gafford goes pro, or would you rather have Gafford back another year and see what happens? I'd like a sweet 16 AND get Gafford another year, but I think if I had to pick, I'd take the sweet 16 this year and wish him well. I THINK the young guys on the squad and the new ones next year will play Mikes kind of Defense and surprise people..

What I prefer does not matter. Gafford is going to do what he thinks is best for him and I don't really have a say in it. It makes me sick that so many so called adults seem bound and determined to push him into going pro. I guess they feel they can get Mike fired if Daniel leaves. Sheesh, let the kid get NBA advice and let him and his parents decide what would be best for his career.

AlmaHog2011

For sure! Any year a sweet 16 means you are capable.

King Kong

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

hawganatic

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 14, 2018, 07:22:21 pm

What I prefer does not matter. Gafford is going to do what he thinks is best for him and I don't really have a say in it. It makes me sick that so many so called adults seem bound and determined to push him into going pro. I guess they feel they can get Mike fired if Daniel leaves. Sheesh, let the kid get NBA advice and let him and his parents decide what would be best for his career.

Lighten up Francis.  OP is just posing a question.  He's not pushing anybody to do anything.

BroyledNutts

Sweet 16 ... that would mean we DIDN'T play North Carolina in the first two rounds ...

WBOBO

Quote from: BroyledNutts on February 14, 2018, 08:01:22 pm
Sweet 16 ... that would mean we DIDN'T play North Carolina in the first two rounds ...
True dat
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

3of5-2

elksnort

elksnort

By the way, Allie Laforce is still my favorite, but Laura Rutledge is strong.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HiggiePiggy

To me it comes down to where we are seeded come tournament time on what I will be expecting from this team. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

tennesseehogwild

Sweet 16 would be huge for this squad.

jchill

Quote from: Breems on February 14, 2018, 07:17:19 pm
I'll take a guaranteed Sweet Sixteen all day long. Gafford leaving would suck, but it's also a positive in terms of sending another big man to the league. We have a solid case for recruiting and developing big men now with Portis, Kingsley, and Gafford.

Most definitely, also add Trey Thompson to the mix. The jump he made from his sophomore year to his junior is nothing short of a miracle. CMA and staff are getting it done. BTW, we are a very good team. 18-8 in this league and during this season is very good. A lot of good teams are losing a lot of games. The issue with us is how we lose. Sometimes, even in our wins, it seems like we forget how to play basketball.

LA Football fan

Quote from: jchill on February 14, 2018, 09:49:58 pm
Most definitely, also add Trey Thompson to the mix. The jump he made from his sophomore year to his junior is nothing short of a miracle. CMA and staff are getting it done. BTW, we are a very good team. 18-8 in this league and during this season is very good. A lot of good teams are losing a lot of games. The issue with us is how we lose. Sometimes, even in our wins, it seems like we forget how to play basketball.

I would have  taken a sweet sixteen any of the previous 6 years too.  You never pass up an opportunity to advance in the tourney hoping for better the next year.  Too many variables.  Hopefully we can play someone other than UNC our second game if we make the tourney this year.

HawgHeadCheese

I was just thinking similar. If we make a run in the tournament that means 2 things, our team will get more publicity and Gafford will be performing very well. If that happens the chances of him leaving early definitely increase. I want sweet 16 though

ifghog

Big Nasty 34

Pretty easy answer, Sweet 16. We are going to be an NIT team with our without Gafford next year most likely so take the good run this year. Would only help recruiting going forward and will allow CMA to hopefully get a replacement sooner.

gmarv54

I want us to win every game possible so yeah.Sweet 16 for sure.

The_Iceman

porkinsons disease

Sweet 16....bird in the hand kind of thing
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

HogFaninMemphis

yeah gotta take the Sweet 16. Sweet 16 also is very beneficial for the program moving forward. It's a feather in Anderson's cap, it helps recruiting, energizes the fan base, etc.
If this team pulls together a Sweet 16 run, fans will come in droves next year to see what that young team can do.
If this team sputters down the stretch and either doesn't make it or loses the first game, having Gafford back will be less exciting.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Bkhardicars on February 14, 2018, 06:45:56 pm
One is not tied to the other and yes I would be happy with 2 wins in the Tournament.

99toLife

Absolutely,  what's it been 20+ years since the last Sweet 16 ?

jgphillips3

jabber71

Yes but if we get to the Sweet 16, I think we will end up in the Elite 8
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

RacinRazorback

sweet 16 without a doubt! A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush!

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: jabber71 on February 15, 2018, 11:55:02 am
Yes but if we get to the Sweet 16, I think we will end up in the Elite 8

From there, anything can happen. Title or bust!
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

swinesation

I'd say there is a better chance of us not making the tournament at all than getting to the Sweet 16.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: swinesation on February 15, 2018, 04:47:13 pm
I'd say there is a better chance of us not making the tournament at all than getting to the Sweet 16.
well obviously that's true. Our odds of the Sweet 16 are like 5%. Just have fun with some wishful thinking.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

TebowHater

The only argument for passing on the Sweet 16 now is expecting us to get to the Elite 8 next year. No way in the world that happens with the young squad after losing the SEC's two leading scorers. Sweet 16 now.

Bkhardicars

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 15, 2018, 05:13:30 am
I was just thinking similar. If we make a run in the tournament that means 2 things, our team will get more publicity and Gafford will be performing very well. If that happens the chances of him leaving early definitely increase. I want sweet 16 though
That was the premise of my question, though I didn't come out and say that.I too am of the opinion that if we reach sweet16 it will be in large part due to Gaffords continued improvement, thus increasing the likelihood of his leaving early.I hope he stays and becomes a lottery pick next year.

raz1965

Too early to say, but if the Razorbacks can win 3 of the next 5 they will have defeated sweet sixteen contenders an maybe more, so yes make the tourney an I place no limit on this team. Gafford can go pro make or not.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: swinesation on February 15, 2018, 04:47:13 pm

Thankfully, there are no terrible losses left on the schedule. Get to 20 wins and we'll be fine.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

code red

I'd take a win in the tourney.....our defense is atrocious.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou