Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The reason why we dont' have a home field advantage!!!

Started by kdogstew, September 24, 2006, 12:10:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kdogstew

Okay, I have been watching closely to the fans around me at several games both this season and last.  I have been to "big games" and to "lesser important games". I do not have season tickets so I have been able to sit in various sections and this is what I have evaluated.

Okay, let me make this disclaimer.  I understand that some fans are discontent with Houston so perhaps they are not cheering.  I also understand that often times we cheer on big 3rd downs and we get let down b/c the dfense doesn't come through.  I GET THAT, I REALLY DO!!!

However, at this game and many others I look around on those critical 3downs and 4th and 1 or 2 and I see about 1 out of 5 fans "selling out" to try and affect the game.  I mean doing their part by clapping, screaming, and stomping.  I know sometimes you have to take a play off  but more often than not I am the only one yelling to try and make a difference.  Now don't get me wrong, many fans were standing and excited to see the outcome of the play but not willing to give of themselves to see if we could "rattle" the opposing team or lift our Dfense to a new level of play.

Is that not important to Arkansas Fans????

Are we waiting to have a team worth "giving ourselves for" or are we just not that passionate about winning?

I have attended only 1 out of state SEC game. It was Arkansas/Bamma back when we went 4/0 in September.  I was in the Bamma section.  Their fans were fanatic on every play.  I would say 4/5 fans were screaming, clapping, stomping, spitting, growling, everything they could to help their team.

Perhaps that game at Tuscaloosa was an anomaly.  Perhaps other stadiums have entire sections with "casual" fans that really think it is unnecessary to yell, but that is not what I saw at that game and not what I see on TV and not what I hear goes on by friends who support teams from other SEC schools.

What say you???

STew

HognotinMemphis

Looks like posters here are as apathetic about your post as the fans in the stands are about the Hogs.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

enl35794

I cheer. I call the Hogs. All that stuff. But, I for one, am not one of those people who is yelling random and screaming the entire game, timeouts and all. There are some who do that, and its great. I agree that we dont have the atmosphere of some stadiums, and I wish we did. But, when the team needs the crowd, they get the crowd. The crowd does not let Arkansas down. We get it done, just not as impressive as some.

Heres what I dont like. I dont like the crazy drunk guy behind me yelling to everyone in the area that they aren't a real fan if they aren't up and yelling. Thats ridiculous. You do your thing, everyone else do yours. Dont make us want to punt a football into your grill. Yell, clap, do whatever you can do, but dont ridicule other fans because they dont do it the same way.

Just a disclaimer, I'm not sayin you, stew, are that person, just sayin I cant stand those people who feel like only real fans do that.
"And I took the butcher knife and put it up to her neck. I said if you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start frying them eggs a little bit better than what you frying. I'm tired of eating sloppy, slimy eggs."

Jesco White

UADrummer

September 24, 2006, 07:17:58 pm #3 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 07:20:54 pm by UADrummer
I've been in the RMB for the past four years, this is my first season sitting somewhere other than with a drum in front of me.  I've been to most of the SEC stadiums in the west and we are pretty similar.  Alabama was one of the better one's, and LSU was the best by far.  That place was just rockin' last year even though they were on the verge of a huge upset.  I would imagine that the kind of support you're looking for will come with some big seasons again.  I think right now the fans are more hoping for something not to happen, than cheering to their fullest.  It's more of an anxious feeling on every play rather than exciting, but I definately do my part of the screaming and yelling, but I would never ridicule someone who wasn't.

arkjay19

When we get a dominating D like Florida State, LSU, Auburn, or Alabama, you can expect the fans to stand up and cheer the whole time.  Until then, the fans respond to players and their plays and cheer.  But since the players, coaches, and recruits constantly thank the fans and their support and noise during the game, I will believe them over you.

Root Hog

Maybe we should look up our SEC home record and compare it to our SEC road record before we claim that we have no home field advantage.

jman

They know that screaming their lungs out for the hogs is a waste of time.

Old Tusk

Up in the cheap seats we have been standing and yell pretty much through all the games. I think the root of the problem lies with JFB. I was a freshman in 1964. After the success over the next few years, he opted to go with huge corporate ticket blocks. You can certainly say that was the start of the money influx. However, the outcome was that large blocks of folks who were given tickets and were not necessarily fans. Most of which set on their hands. When I graduated, I was told not to think about season tickets because the corporations had priority on any tickets that became available. I fell sure that there are blocks of seats which are filled with folks who have little or no connection to the Razorbacks. It is simply a social event.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

coop hog

For the most part people havent had anything to cheer about. I think the fans have done their job in all big games. Most of the time we have been taken out of those games early (Shaud Williams 80yd run), or give up too many big plays. I sit on the east side 40 yd line(north side of field) and we stood almost every play yesterday. The fans will get better once they see we can win a big game.

hogboarder

Quote from: kdogstew on September 24, 2006, 12:10:27 pm
Okay, I have been watching closely to the fans around me at several games both this season and last.  I have been to "big games" and to "lesser important games". I do not have season tickets so I have been able to sit in various sections and this is what I have evaluated.

Okay, let me make this disclaimer.  I understand that some fans are discontent with Houston so perhaps they are not cheering.  I also understand that often times we cheer on big 3rd downs and we get let down b/c the dfense doesn't come through.  I GET THAT, I REALLY DO!!!

However, at this game and many others I look around on those critical 3downs and 4th and 1 or 2 and I see about 1 out of 5 fans "selling out" to try and affect the game.  I mean doing their part by clapping, screaming, and stomping.  I know sometimes you have to take a play off  but more often than not I am the only one yelling to try and make a difference.  Now don't get me wrong, many fans were standing and excited to see the outcome of the play but not willing to give of themselves to see if we could "rattle" the opposing team or lift our Dfense to a new level of play.

Are we waiting to have a team worth "giving ourselves for" or are we just not that passionate about winning?

I have attended only 1 out of state SEC game. It was Arkansas/Bamma back when we went 4/0 in September.  I was in the Bamma section.  Their fans were fanatic on every play.  I would say 4/5 fans were screaming, clapping, stomping, spitting, growling, everything they could to help their team.

Perhaps that game at Tuscaloosa was an anomaly.  Perhaps other stadiums have entire sections with "casual" fans that really think it is unnecessary to yell, but that is not what I saw at that game and not what I see on TV and not what I hear goes on by friends who support teams from other SEC schools.

What say you???

STew

I actually agree with you stew.  I have witnessed that for the past few years!!

clemensrules01

me and my friend were standing up at the beginning of the game and the people behind us ask us "Are you guys going to stand up the WHOLE game?"

the game had just started and we were excited. it is pathetic that they werent standing up at one of our most pivotal games in the season. it was kind of embarassing too.

hogboarder

Quote from: jman on September 24, 2006, 07:31:28 pm
They know that screaming their lungs out for the hogs is a waste of time.

...just like your posts are on here!!!  Go cheer for UCA!!!!!!!!!!

filthyswine

Quote from: clemens on September 24, 2006, 09:06:50 pm
me and my friend were standing up at the beginning of the game and the people behind us ask us "Are you guys going to stand up the WHOLE game?"

the game had just started and we were excited. it is pathetic that they werent standing up at one of our most pivotal games in the season. it was kind of embarassing too.

My brother-in-law has season tickets and was asked to sit down by an usher at the USC game before it even began.    After he told him to stick it, a police man came and told him to sit down.  No one behind him had complained, but the usher took it upon himself to act like a clown.  I don't believe in standing up all the time, but that's a little much. 

King

The way Razorback Stadium is built, noise just disappears out of the north end zone.  No matter how hard you yell, it doesn't get very loud.  I think the fans should stomp on the bleachers--that'll make more noise.

Root Hog

Quote from: filthyswine on September 24, 2006, 09:12:20 pm
Quote from: clemens on September 24, 2006, 09:06:50 pm

My brother-in-law has season tickets and was asked to sit down by an usher at the USC game before it even began.    After he told him to stick it, a police man came and told him to sit down.  No one behind him had complained, but the usher took it upon himself to act like a clown.  I don't believe in standing up all the time, but that's a little much. 

Standing for Pre-game warm ups.  THAT"S a fan!

Root Hog

Quote from: King on September 24, 2006, 09:14:17 pm
The way Razorback Stadium is built, noise just disappears out of the north end zone.  No matter how hard you yell, it doesn't get very loud.  I think the fans should stomp on the bleachers--that'll make more noise.

The 2004 Texas game was one of the loudest I have seen anywhere.  Ever.  (Not intended to flame the GSD)

clemensrules01

Quote from: Root Hog on September 24, 2006, 09:17:17 pm
Quote from: King on September 24, 2006, 09:14:17 pm

The 2004 Texas game was one of the loudest I have seen anywhere.  Ever.  (Not intended to flame the GSD)
i watched that game on t.v. and it sounded amazing.

the loudest game ive ever been to was the 1998 kentucky game in little rock.

Yo Huckleberry

September 24, 2006, 09:20:55 pm #17 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:23:57 pm by Yo Huckleberry
My seats are in Sec 502 Row 15 Seats 3, 4 & 5. Sitting right in front of us for the Bama game are (1) a young giuy w/ a 2004 UA Band Member shirt on, (2)his girlfriend, and (3)the girl's mother. From the git-go, we can tell that they are "put out" with us, yelling & cheering (NOTHING derrogatory, I promise). Momma's rollin' her eyes & daughter is looking over her shoulder like something is wrong with us. My brother & I are shaking our heads in digust. We were wondering WTH the "Shuder" or "Suder" or whatever the hell it was, and their disgust at how stupid we must be was evident. Finally, the announcer tells what it is & we're like, "no Shiite". Then the "awards" are given & I'm thinkin', "OUR band"? OOOOKAY. Well, needless to say they left after the 3rd quarter. Why the frick do we have to put up w/these idiots?! We are NOT there to see the frickin' BAND, PEOPLE! It's a FOOTBALL GAME!

Hugehogsfan

Quote from: kdogstew on September 24, 2006, 12:10:27 pm

What say you???

STew

Well Stew I stand during the game, sit during the time outs, and cheer and clap and scream where appropriate.  I get cussed, talked about, and people usually ask me to sit down.  I don't care what they say I stand and I enjoy myself at the games.  I don't think that everyone should, but I think that to help the team you should scream during defensive stands.  Look at Seattle today, the crowd rattled Eli and the offensive line and caused penalties.  I think that is what a good home crowd does. 

filthyswine

I was impressed with the crowd.  I think we definitely caused 'bama to jump on several occasions. 

Macgyver Hawg

The crowd sounded great on tv.  Did any of you watch other games?  The crowd did well and got to see a win.

That was our first OT in Fayetteville.

Hugehogsfan

Did you see the camera shake on CBS when we hit the extra point, they had to switch cameras it was so bad. 

filthyswine

Did the TV guys know immediately that Cleveland had caught the ball?  I really thought that he had dropped it from where I was sitting.  It seemed like the crowd reaction was delayed also.  We had two 'bama fans behind us being obnoxious, so it felt really good to pull that one off.

V. V. Hawg

I yelled the whole game!  My feet hurt I stomped them so much!  My hands hurt from clapping and high fiveing everyone around me.  My head hurt from all the ..... well, I didn't drive home either!

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

September 25, 2006, 02:52:54 am #24 Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 03:09:39 am by Russ Swinegold
Quote from: Yo Huckleberry on September 24, 2006, 09:20:55 pm
My seats are in Sec 502 Row 15 Seats 3, 4 & 5. Sitting right in front of us for the Bama game are (1) a young giuy w/ a 2004 UA Band Member shirt on, (2)his girlfriend, and (3)the girl's mother. From the git-go, we can tell that they are "put out" with us, yelling & cheering (NOTHING derrogatory, I promise). Momma's rollin' her eyes & daughter is looking over her shoulder like something is wrong with us. My brother & I are shaking our heads in digust. We were wondering WTH the "Shuder" or "Suder" or whatever the hell it was, and their disgust at how stupid we must be was evident. Finally, the announcer tells what it is & we're like, "no Shiite". Then the "awards" are given & I'm thinkin', "OUR band"? OOOOKAY. Well, needless to say they left after the 3rd quarter. Why the frick do we have to put up w/these idiots?! We are NOT there to see the frickin' BAND, PEOPLE! It's a FOOTBALL GAME!

Screw you.  Maybe those people were jerks, but if you're gonna disrespect the band, don't expect them to be nice to you.  How can you not see that the band is such a big part of college football?  College football is all about tradition.  That's what makes it so much better than the NFL.  Band is part of that tradition.  Would there be any fight songs without the band?  What would the students do without William Tell?  I'd be willing to bet that EVERY former Hog football player would tell you that there's no feeling like running through that big A to the roar of the crowd.  The band works hard to continue the proud tradition that is Razorback Football.  I can tell you that some of the biggest fans in that stadium are in the band.  So how 'bout a little RESPECT?  They won a national award for what they do and if that doesn't make you the least bit proud, then you're not a true fan of the PROGRAM and its HISTORY and TRADITION.  They deserve some appreciation from the crowd.  Have you ever done anything that anyone gave a shiite about besides your mommy?

YES, I was in the band.  I was in it for 5 years.  It was five of the best years of my life, and it was worth all the hard work and the bad back (I played the tuba) because I got to go to every game including bowl games, even basketball tourney games. 

You're attitude toward the band is not at all uncommon, especially among junior high and high school kids.  But I'd like to think that most people grow out of that eventually.  But for decades, people have relied on poking fun at the band geeks to prop up their fragile egos.  What's funny is that the kids that make fun of the band the most are usually the ones that end up still working at McDonalds when they're 40 years old. 

Sorry for interrupting the football talk with all this "bandie" talk.  Small-minded people just really piss me off.  I heard the same shiite from people sitting around me in the student section.  "Who the frick is SUDLER?  Who gives a frick?"  Hey, whatever makes your *** not feel so small.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

10thPlanet

You wouldn't catch me in the band, they practice more than our 7A West football team does, and that's no bull. But, don't go making fun of working at Mcdonalds when your 40 yrs old. I like to get my order right and have someone who speaks English there.
The UofA band rocks, but they need more members there for Basketball games.

Hogphilia

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on September 25, 2006, 02:52:54 am
Quote from: Yo Huckleberry on September 24, 2006, 09:20:55 pm

Screw you.  Maybe those people were jerks, but if you're gonna disrespect the band, don't expect them to be nice to you.  How can you not see that the band is such a big part of college football?  College football is all about tradition.  That's what makes it so much better than the NFL.  Band is part of that tradition.  Would there be any fight songs without the band?  What would the students do without William Tell?  I'd be willing to bet that EVERY former Hog football player would tell you that there's no feeling like running through that big A to the roar of the crowd.  The band works hard to continue the proud tradition that is Razorback Football.  I can tell you that some of the biggest fans in that stadium are in the band.  So how 'bout a little RESPECT?  They won a national award for what they do and if that doesn't make you the least bit proud, then you're not a true fan of the PROGRAM and its HISTORY and TRADITION.  They deserve some appreciation from the crowd.  Have you ever done anything that anyone gave a shiite about besides your mommy?

YES, I was in the band.  I was in it for 5 years.  It was five of the best years of my life, and it was worth all the hard work and the bad back (I played the tuba) because I got to go to every game including bowl games, even basketball tourney games. 

You're attitude toward the band is not at all uncommon, especially among junior high and high school kids.  But I'd like to think that most people grow out of that eventually.  But for decades, people have relied on poking fun at the band geeks to prop up their fragile egos.  What's funny is that the kids that make fun of the band the most are usually the ones that end up still working at McDonalds when they're 40 years old. 

Sorry for interrupting the football talk with all this "bandie" talk.  Small-minded people just really piss me off.  I heard the same shiite from people sitting around me in the student section.  "Who the frick is SUDLER?  Who gives a frick?"  Hey, whatever makes your *** not feel so small.

Man, such vitriole on here.  Chill man.  I also was band geek.  I appreciate the band very much.  I stand and cheer for the band as they enter the stadium and especially as they enter the playing area for the pre-game.  And I think the guy that you "flamed" in your post also appreciates the band.  You got your pants in a wad because he said something about the band fans who ridiculed him for cheering (that is a bit much, you must admit, and I am sure you do not condone their behavior).

I also hate those people around me who want me to sit down and not whistle and yell for the defense.

IMO, somebody of authority ought to make a statement about what is expected at games.  Let people know that the norm is to come to games to yell and suppport the team (all positive - no cursing or disrespecting others).  Then, the people who want to show up to be seen in their new clothes and read the paper in the stands can just stay home.  Or sit quietly and respect those of us who make noise at the appropriate time for team.  I am serious, there was a woman in front of me last Sat. who spent the whole game working her crossword puzzle.  She never got up or yelled  - not once.  She couldn't have even known who was playing.

Dude, about the band - it seems to almost everyone that I have talked to that the band sound is softer than it used to be.  We can hardly even hear you when you enter the stadium and march around the field.  Maybe the acoustics have changed since last year?  I know that the big-screen has really detracted from what the band has to offer.  I wish at times they would just turn it off!

Does Gunther tell the band to play softer?  I would not think so???

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: Hogphilia on September 25, 2006, 07:23:56 am
Man, such vitriole on here.  Chill man.  I also was band geek.  I appreciate the band very much.  I stand and cheer for the band as they enter the stadium and especially as they enter the playing area for the pre-game.

Good for you.  I guess I wasn't talking to you then, was I? 

QuoteAnd I think the guy that you "flamed" in your post also appreciates the band.

He appreciates the band?  Where did you see that in his post? 

QuoteYou got your pants in a wad because he said something about the band fans who ridiculed him for cheering (that is a bit much, you must admit, and I am sure you do not condone their behavior).

No, I "got my pants in a wad" because of his attitude toward the band.  I AGREE that those people were obviously jerks and I can't understand why they would leave the game after the 3rd quarter.  But I was not talking about them.  Read more, post less.

QuoteI also hate those people around me who want me to sit down and not whistle and yell for the defense.

As do I.  Again, not what I was talking about.

QuoteDude, about the band - it seems to almost everyone that I have talked to that the band sound is softer than it used to be.  We can hardly even hear you when you enter the stadium and march around the field.  Maybe the acoustics have changed since last year?  I know that the big-screen has really detracted from what the band has to offer.  I wish at times they would just turn it off!

No, he doesn't tell them to play softer.  The band is stronger some years than others.  I'd say the two best bands they've had in the last 10 years were '99 and '05.  And from what I can tell, they don't sound too strong this year.  It happens sometimes.  The main reason for this is a severe lack of good high school programs in the state.  Many of the band's best players are from Texas and Oklahoma.  And most of the best teachers that graduate from Arkansas don't want to stay in Arkansas to teach because they can go somewhere out of state to teach a good program and get a decent paycheck.  But regardless of these holdbacks, they have kept a high standard for roughly 100 years, which is the reason they won this prestigious award.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Hogphilia

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on September 25, 2006, 03:42:41 pm
Quote from: Hogphilia on September 25, 2006, 07:23:56 am
Man, such vitriole on here.  Chill man.  I also was band geek.  I appreciate the band very much.  I stand and cheer for the band as they enter the stadium and especially as they enter the playing area for the pre-game.

Good for you.  I guess I wasn't talking to you then, was I? 

QuoteAnd I think the guy that you "flamed" in your post also appreciates the band.

He appreciates the band?  Where did you see that in his post? 

QuoteYou got your pants in a wad because he said something about the band fans who ridiculed him for cheering (that is a bit much, you must admit, and I am sure you do not condone their behavior).

No, I "got my pants in a wad" because of his attitude toward the band.  I AGREE that those people were obviously jerks and I can't understand why they would leave the game after the 3rd quarter.  But I was not talking about them.  Read more, post less.

QuoteI also hate those people around me who want me to sit down and not whistle and yell for the defense.

As do I.  Again, not what I was talking about.

QuoteDude, about the band - it seems to almost everyone that I have talked to that the band sound is softer than it used to be.  We can hardly even hear you when you enter the stadium and march around the field.  Maybe the acoustics have changed since last year?  I know that the big-screen has really detracted from what the band has to offer.  I wish at times they would just turn it off!

No, he doesn't tell them to play softer.  The band is stronger some years than others.  I'd say the two best bands they've had in the last 10 years were '99 and '05.  And from what I can tell, they don't sound too strong this year.  It happens sometimes.  The main reason for this is a severe lack of good high school programs in the state.  Many of the band's best players are from Texas and Oklahoma.  And most of the best teachers that graduate from Arkansas don't want to stay in Arkansas to teach because they can go somewhere out of state to teach a good program and get a decent paycheck.  But regardless of these holdbacks, they have kept a high standard for roughly 100 years, which is the reason they won this prestigious award.

Oh well, tried to find some common ground with you since we are both band people (trombone here).  But you seem insistent on being confrontational.  Please don't tell me to "read more post less".  I could say the same to you....I will post whenever I want until I am banned...just as you will.

People on here are so cynical about each other.  Can't we all just get along - at least about the band?

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Excuse me.  I was offended by Huckleberry's attitude toward the band and I wanted to let him know.  Then you jumped in and told me to "chill out."  You weren't trying to find common ground, you were being condescending.  I'm sorry that I was rude, but the reason I asked you to read more and post less is because it didn't seem like you really understood anything I was saying.  I apologize for being so confrontational, but I heard a lot of BS from the students around me at the game and Huck put me over the edge.  I have to stand up for the students in the band because that used to be me. 

Hogphilia

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on September 25, 2006, 07:12:20 pm
Excuse me.  I was offended by Huckleberry's attitude toward the band and I wanted to let him know.  Then you jumped in and told me to "chill out."  You weren't trying to find common ground, you were being condescending.  I'm sorry that I was rude, but the reason I asked you to read more and post less is because it didn't seem like you really understood anything I was saying.  I apologize for being so confrontational, but I heard a lot of BS from the students around me at the game and Huck put me over the edge.  I have to stand up for the students in the band because that used to be me. 

I understand and appreciate your position.  I did not mean to be condescending.  Listen, I caught my share of shiite when I was in band.  I don't think that everyone appreciates the hard work and preparation that goes into presenting a program.  I remember those 100 degree afternoons and 6 a.m. mornings of marching and learning a new program.

However, for the most part...at least where I sit, there is plenty of respect for the RMB.

Anyway, I am glad that I was able to clear up my position and hope that you do not think that most people have the attitude of the poster that p****d you off.