Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball Perspective

Started by Hog33, February 05, 2009, 02:17:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog33

Let's take a trip down history lane and forget about instant gratification for a moment.  Coach K at Duke was 38-43 in his first three years and I am sure they played some cupcakes out of league so their conference record was probably horrid.  Would we all agree, even as much as I have disdain for the Dukies, that he has done a good job there.

We like to point out about our two groups of youngsters that really turned our program in the late 80's and mid-nineties.
The Day,Mayberry, Miller group as freshman had Keith Wilson,and Mario Credit, plus depth.  When they went to the final four they Mario Credit, Lenzie Howell and a whole boatload of depth.

Corliss and Scotty had Robert Shepard and Darrell Hawkins as Sr. leadership, not to mention that Beck and Stewart were third year sophomores plus Clint McDaniel.

Even the team with Pat Bradley and Kareem Reid had Darrell Hawkins plus Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson  to help.

This is a completely new bunch with no depth from previous years added to the equation.  The worst thing Stan left Pel was no consistency in class numbers.  Lest we forget that we won 23 last year and won a tournament game, so the guy can coach.  The Heath years didn't work so those are lost years and we have to give Pel a chance to get his guys and build a base, he can not change that overnight or in one recruiting year.  I am pretty sure that all concerned in the Athletic Dept. are trying and working their hardest to get us back to prominence in basketball.  We should work as hard as fans. 

Hey I'm a 56 year old lifetime Hog fan and am also tired of losing, especially in down year in the SEC, I could go at any time, but we still have to be patient.  I am thinking that the 2010-2011 season will be a great one to be a Hog fan in both football and basketball.  Until then let's just root hard and try to keep the public whining and criticism of 18 year olds to minimum.

Remember only root for N.Carolina against Duke and Kentucky, only root for Duke against Kentucky, never root for Kentucky.