Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FYI folks

Started by pharm, February 04, 2009, 09:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pharm

We were picked last in the SEC. I am disappointed after beating OU & Texas, but we are young. The future is bright for these young hogs so just keep the faith..

PorkerOinker

I agree, some of the freshman are still adjusting to the SEC level of play. And I think to many times we forget that our coach is just in his second year in the SEC I think he is still learning some about being a head coach in the SEC.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

ICEman

Quote from: pharm on February 04, 2009, 09:25:07 pm
We were picked last in the SEC. I am disappointed after beating OU & Texas, but we are young. The future is bright for these young hogs so just keep the faith..
So sit back and enjoy the show.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

thirtythree

I wonder what some of these people that are bashing this "young" team will see if they turn it around. Will they be two faced and start supporting them again?

PorkerOinker

Quote from: thirtythree on February 04, 2009, 09:30:48 pm
I wonder what some of these people that are bashing this "young" team will see if they turn it around. Will they be two faced and start supporting them again?

Listen they have not quit supporting them, they are just dissapointed in them, they have that right and have the right to cheer when they get better.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

3kgthog

I feel pretty confident in saying I doubt we turn it around this season. We suck on the road and our upcoming schedule isn't exactly full of rent-a-wins.

And just because some people bash this "young" team it doesn't mean they don't support them. Bashing or griping is the way some people deal with frustration.

Niels Boar

This team could make a significant leap next year if Washington stays.  PF position will get better with Powell and development by the frosh.  Henry is going to be an All-SEC quality player when he fills in some.  We should be adding athleticism on the wing.  We won't have small guards playing the #3 and skinny #3's playing PF, not that Henry didn't play his butt off tonight.

thirtythree

Quote from: PorkerOinker on February 04, 2009, 09:36:26 pm
Listen they have not quit supporting them, they are just dissapointed in them, they have that right and have the right to cheer when they get better.

If you call what some of them are saying is being "dissappointed", then I would hate to see bashing.

ArkansasI

Where do we expect to improve with this team?  Honestly, I don't see it.  Just sayin'...

We need better players.  Without intending any disrespect, I don't think anyone is particularly scared of playing against us.  We have an out of control point guard who can be very exciting and has cool hair, but is just as likely to take us out of a possession because he is impatient OR simply has no one else to give the ball.

I mean, let's face it, outside of the emergence of Michael Washington (a real pleasant surprise for me), who else is there?  Rotnei has lost confidence in his game, Marcus Britt is surprised to find himself on the team/let alone gaining significant playing time, Sanchez plays stiff (maybe he'll loosen up)and Stefan Welsh would be a really nice 7th man.

These guys play hard, but can't play good.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Niels Boar on February 04, 2009, 09:40:09 pm
This team could make a significant leap next year if Washington stays.  PF position will get better with Powell and development by the frosh.  Henry is going to be an All-SEC quality player when he fills in some.  We should be adding athleticism on the wing.  We won't have small guards playing the #3 and skinny #3's playing PF, not that Henry didn't play his butt off tonight.

I agree about Washington being a player, but Henry has a long way to go.  Henry is a nice looking athlete who hasn't proven himself to be a good basketball player.  How can you honestly think he is all-conference caliber?  There are 11 other teams in the league that have similar freshmen.

Our guards are short, but not necessarily small to me.  Their main problems appear to be that they lack the skill to play offense and the athleticism to play good defense.

We need an overhaul.  Too many pieces missing or simply don't fit.  Arkansas is a better job than this.

rude1

I am sorry, I can't buy that. I would think differently if we were playing in the big east, or acc, this year. But the sec is not a good conference this year at all, and no matter if a team is young or not, if you have some talent and you are well coached you should be able to win some games, see Ole Piss as a perfect example. Lose 3 starters yet still able to compete in this conference.

Jim Harris

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 04, 2009, 09:50:48 pm
I agree about Washington being a player, but Henry has a long way to go.  Henry is a nice looking athlete who hasn't proven himself to be a good basketball player.  How can you honestly think he is all-conference caliber?  There are 11 other teams in the league that have similar freshmen.

Our guards are short, but not necessarily small to me.  Their main problems appear to be that they lack the skill to play offense and the athleticism to play good defense.

We need an overhaul.  Too many pieces missing or simply don't fit.  Arkansas is a better job than this.

Henry killed them defensively down the stretch. But that's not been his strongsuit since practice started.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hoghelmet14

If I had understood all the terms used on this board before I joined my username would have been something like KingHomer... cuz I Love the Hogs:  Win, Lose or Draw!  I dont care if they are playing tiddly winks... I want us to win.
When we do I am happy .... when we dont I am sad.... but I will never say anything derogatory about OUR Hogs... am I disappointed at times... yepper.... but you dont build a team by tearing it down... so... anyway.... Go Hogs!

Lets support our teams... ALL of them.... WPS
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

eathill5

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 04, 2009, 09:46:58 pm
Where do we expect to improve with this team?  Honestly, I don't see it.  Just sayin'...

We need better players.  Without intending any disrespect, I don't think anyone is particularly scared of playing against us.  We have an out of control point guard who can be very exciting and has cool hair, but is just as likely to take us out of a possession because he is impatient OR simply has no one else to give the ball.

I mean, let's face it, outside of the emergence of Michael Washington (a real pleasant surprise for me), who else is there?  Rotnei has lost confidence in his game, Marcus Britt is surprised to find himself on the team/let alone gaining significant playing time, Sanchez plays stiff (maybe he'll loosen up)and Stefan Welsh would be a really nice 7th man.

These guys play hard, but can't play good.

Congratulation!!! This is top 5 dumbest things I have ever seen on this board.  I mean honestly I am thinking about making this part of my signature.  Washington is in his first season as a regular player.  In case you missed it Fortson is the top freshman pg in the confrence. Britt is our best defensive player and highest 3 pt % on the team.  Clarke is a good shooter in a slump.  You are an idiot. 

If you think this team has no chance of becoming a force next year see LSU last year.  You are a joke and obviously have no idea about basketball.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: Niels Boar on February 04, 2009, 09:40:09 pm
This team could make a significant leap next year if Washington stays.

I really don't see Washington leaving. Well, at least not leaving and getting drafted. As someone else on this board said, this is his first year of being a role player.

He needs to get stronger.
He can't shoot free-throws.
He misses too many shots that are oh so close to the rim.

BUT....he is *** awesome except for that 00 number.

He needs another year. And if he really really develops that 6 to 9 foot jump shot from the wings and making free throws, I can really see him going early in the draft next year. Those shots are so pretty.

He needs to drop the 3-point shot from his game, and practice practice practice free throws or they will just hack him to death every time.

I say we just stop shooting free-throws and bang it off the glass, hope it hits the rim, and hope to get the board......only to get fouled again and have to do it all again! Wooooooo!
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

Niels Boar

February 04, 2009, 10:05:04 pm #15 Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:27:04 pm by Niels Boar
Quote from: ArkansasI on February 04, 2009, 09:50:48 pm

Henry is long.  Henry is quick.  Henry can shoot.  Henry can jump.  Henry can run.  He's a decent ballhandler now and will improve.  Henry has a good motor, too.  He misses a lot of point blank attempts in traffic now becuase of lack of strength.  Every SEC coach would take him in a heartbeat.  He had 11 points and 7 rebounds against a good, experienced Tennessee frontline.  If the Vols had guards, they would be top 10 this season.  He's doing fine.

ArkansasI

Quote from: eathill5 on February 04, 2009, 09:58:19 pm
Congratulation!!! This is top 5 dumbest things I have ever seen on this board.  I mean honestly I am thinking about making this part of my signature.  Washington is in his first season as a regular player.  In case you missed it Fortson is the top freshman pg in the confrence. Britt is our best defensive player and highest 3 pt % on the team.  Clarke is a good shooter in a slump.  You are an idiot. 

If you think this team has no chance of becoming a force next year see LSU last year.  You are a joke and obviously have no idea about basketball.

Man, it's nice to talk basketball with friends.

Washington is a junior that has enjoyed decent minutes his first two years in Fayetteville.  I didn't see him emerging to this level this year...  I thought he would be OK, but he was nothing special in previous campaigns.  A good basketball player usually has some visibility his first two years...

Fortson is an exciting and out of control player.  We can argue all night, but he has won us some games and taken us out of some games.  Just because I believe that he makes some crazy bad plays doesn't mean that I root against him or don't think he is capable of making positive plays.  Hey, he was pretty darn good tonight... we obviously need him to play well for us to be competitive with anyone.

You sound like you are quoting Jimmy Dykes or something...  Fortson may be the best freshman pg in the conference, but I don't even know how many other teams in our conference have to start a freshman point guard.  I suspect it is possible that there are some quality freshmen on some teams that don't see the floor much...  I remember when it was like that for the Hogs.

I have nothing against Britt, but nothing you say changes my opinion about him.  How many SEC teams could he play for?  Is being our leading 3 pt% guy all that impressive?

Rotnei is a good shooter in a slump...  WTH are we arguing about?

I don't really understand your rant against my comments.  I am glad that you are confident that I am an idiot.  I guess I should look forward to the Hogs being competitive next year.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Niels Boar on February 04, 2009, 10:05:04 pm
Henry is long.  Henry is quick.  Henry can shoot.  Henry can jump.  Henry can run.  He's a decent ballhandler now and will improve.  Henry has a good motor, too.  He misses a lot of point blank attempts in traffic now becuase of lack strength.  Every SEC coach would take him in a heartbeat.  He had 11 points and 7 rebounds against a good, experienced Tennessee frontline.  If the Vols had guards, they would be top 10 this season.  He's doing fine.

Good comments.  I didn't get to see the first half of the game and didn't see him do much in the second half.  I still don't see an all conference player in him, but hope that I am wrong.

Like I said, I think he is a great looking athlete.  Maturity will do him good.

NWASooner

Seriously, out of the 8 man rotation, at least 4 are freshman.  Three true freshman started tonight.  They'll get better.

The problem now is these freshman just aren't very big.  They'll need to bulk up, which they will.  They're barely out of high school.

The Hogfather

Britt is not a good 3-point shooter.  I don't care what his % is right now.