Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Forget about Football recruits! We need....................

Started by WhiteHairedDevil, February 04, 2009, 09:16:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteHairedDevil

basketball recruits NOW! or another coach. Clark and Sanchez are total BUSTS! Pel's late game decision making is on the level of Stan Heath. I hope we have help on the way, because by the way it look now, Pel is over his head.

Hogbody

Hawgrox

Last time I checked Sanchez and Clark were both Freshman....and Pel is in his second year of big time basketball after winning a game in the NCAA's last year.

Chillax Brah! (or whatever it is that these young people are saying these days)

newera

YOU Are stupid. Go Bash someone else's team. WE only need support. Things don't always pan out with recruits (McDonald...) give him (coach pel a break). I know we are awful, but we are young, and so is he.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

A-Town Hog Fan

We are YOUNG.  These are growing pains.  I bet you will be back on the bandwagon next season when we are rolling to the tourney.  Just take a deep breath and count to 10.
Lord help us all!

philobeddoe

dorkanddiana

If we've learned anything I think it is that Clarke needs help getting his shot off. And that outside of Washington there is no dependable go to scorer. I just see what I consider to much street ball or freelancing. That's fine against teams with inferior coaches, but in the big picture we'll never get far depending solely on the athletic ability of the players as opposed to mixing their athleticism with plays designed to enhance their abilities.

Here is the glaring problem I see with this team. We dribble far, far too much. You don't beat a 5 man defense with the dribble you beat it with spacing, motion and quick passes. Putting the ball on the court gives the defense the advantage and 80% of the time in the half court offense we are trying to create off the dribble. You create off the dribble in the open court and when run to perfection the ball never touches the floor on the break when all the lanes are filled.

There's still a battle on the court about who's team this is. That's Pelphrey's fault.

Brand X Hog Fan

Basketball experts are like . . . well, you know.

Go Hogs!

My spot on the bandwagon is more spacious every week!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

BayofPigs

hard to believe, but this team would be a lot worse without Fortson.
I keep seeing him moving and trying to make plays while the rest are just standing not knowing what to do
I don't understand this offense very well, but I'm sure our lack of size is not helping

dorkanddiana

February 04, 2009, 09:59:36 pm #9 Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:03:24 pm by dorkanddiana
Quote from: HogFanAtHeart on February 04, 2009, 09:55:49 pm
DUMB POST!

I agree with not liking Sanchez cause I personally cant stand him as a basketball player. But dude, it's WAYYYY too early to call for Pel's head. Chill man..
Sanchez needs to ride the pine and Fortson needs to be reined in a bit. He's far to much like Kareem Reid.

ballhog™

Quote from: PorkOpine on February 04, 2009, 09:23:24 pm
Arkansas is becoming a football school again.  I'm good with it.

That doesn't mean we have to stink it up in basketball.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

oldbear

I have said it before and I will say it again: you cannot throw the guy away in his second year.  Stan Heath got, what, five years.  Pel deserves the same.  People were ready to get rid of Nolan the first couple of years.  None of us understood what he was doing.  Look what he did.  Stay with the bandwagon for a couple of more years and if he is still not getting it done, then call for his head on a platter. 

I am not saying that Pel is the second coming of Nolan, but just be willing to give him the chance to be.  Two years is not even the chance to get relationships built to get a program that has been down to where it can go.  Yes, we are seeing what appears to be faster progress with the football program, but Petrino has a reputation that he can take with him into a living room.  He has many years of experience on Pel.  We are a spoiled bunch of fans because unlike many schools, we have enjoyed success over the years in almost every sport.  Let this thing play out.

petrinoknowsbest

Which Forum is this? I could of swore i went to MMQB. Your just in here trying to get crap started ya JA leave.

casken

Quote from: Packman21 on February 04, 2009, 09:21:57 pm
We are YOUNG.  These are growing pains.  I bet you will be back on the bandwagon next season when we are rolling to the tourney.  Just take a deep breath and count to 10.

Gorilla agrees with Sasquatch ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

jgphillips3

Much like Nolan's second year, there are a couple of good player's and some semblance of a concept on the floor, but the guys he really needs to trigger this thing are either too young or aren't on campus.  Pel's biggest problem is that unlike Nolan, he won't have three future NBA players in next years class.  However, even without that, the team should definitely gel more next year with more bodies and more experience.  If we can just make it through next year and find some top level recruits or a "one and done" we might not be that far away from a good showing in the tourney.  However, it is now obvious it isn't going to happen overnight.

Hog inAustin

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 04, 2009, 09:16:01 pm
basketball recruits NOW! or another coach. Clark and Sanchez are total BUSTS! Pel's late game decision making is on the level of Stan Heath. I hope we have help on the way, because by the way it look now, Pel is over his head.
Gimme a break...no, give them a break.  They were competitive tonite and this team will win.  May be next year when it comes together but they will win...WPS!

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Rodhawg

Here is what I seen tonight, and I know i'm not nearly as inept as some of you basketball geniuses, but I saw alot of hustle, I saw Rotnei covered like a blanket, I saw us stuggle early to get shots to fall,I saw Fortson play like a stud, I saw Sanchez play like a Jr. high kid, i saw Washington play well, I saw Pel coach well, I saw the refs make some goofy calls, I saw Tenn. not miss a shot the last 5 time down the floor,and I saw us have 2 chances to tie the game in the last 5.4 secs. I'd say all in all I saw a really good game with my 14 yr. old daughter who has never been to a mens game at the Bud, and it just so happend that we lost. I'd say i got my moneys worth....

TOM "tbw1"

Please ring for the nurse.  You medication level is below therapeutic levels.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: dorkanddiana on February 04, 2009, 09:59:36 pm
Sanchez needs to ride the pine and Fortson needs to be reined in a bit. He's far to much like Kareem Reid.

Fortson is like Kareem except he is more athletic, usually makes his shots inside, rebounds better, has better court vision, and provides better leadership. And Kareem was a pretty fair point guard.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: oldbear on February 04, 2009, 10:05:31 pm
I have said it before and I will say it again: you cannot throw the guy away in his second year.  Stan Heath got, what, five years.  Pel deserves the same.  People were ready to get rid of Nolan the first couple of years.  None of us understood what he was doing.  Look what he did.  Stay with the bandwagon for a couple of more years and if he is still not getting it done, then call for his head on a platter. 

I am not saying that Pel is the second coming of Nolan, but just be willing to give him the chance to be.  Two years is not even the chance to get relationships built to get a program that has been down to where it can go.  Yes, we are seeing what appears to be faster progress with the football program, but Petrino has a reputation that he can take with him into a living room.  He has many years of experience on Pel.  We are a spoiled bunch of fans because unlike many schools, we have enjoyed success over the years in almost every sport.  Let this thing play out.

Exactly!
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Dirty

Duke of Buckingham

I love to read posts like this. They are a constant reminder that a certain percentage of people I deal with in everyday life are totally clueless about the way things work in the world.

rlreev01

Way too many spectator opinions here.  Nolan is right, Pel is in his "drive thru" stage of Coaching.  Some people can really let their emotions control their thinking!!

OTTER

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!!  I don't know your age, but people were calling for Nolan's head for his first two years and then he began to get his players in and BINGO!  Give it time and a couple of more recruiting classes and you may see the same thing for Pel.  Don't go making unfounded, rash statements.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

cdclark09

hahahahaha

George S. Pigton

Ignorant! Go find another team, we don't need fans such as yourself.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

cdclark09

Some times I think there should be a post count before you can start a topic.

Mick Hogger

Quote from: PorkOpine on February 04, 2009, 09:23:24 pm
Arkansas is becoming a football school again.  I'm good with it.

I'd rather be more like Florida and riding high in both. There's no reason we can't.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

amiley

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on February 04, 2009, 09:50:52 pm
My spot on the bandwagon is more spacious every week!

i know, i starting not to like all the leg room.

Hawgrox

What I don't get is why compare Fortson to Reid if you are bashing him? We have seen "Fortson is a joke! He looks more like Kareem Reid everyday!"...well ya know Reid does hold a little something called the ALL-TIME ASSIST record at Arkansas.

stronguard

What's wrong Ramona?  Tampa got you down already?  Not enough shopping?  Bad manicure? 

Anyone who would compare Pel and STANLEY has no basketball IQ.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HawgAdvocate

People love Michael Washington.

But just think if he was having to start as a freshman. Back then he was fouling every defensive possesion. People would be cussing him all over, every night, as they are for many of our other freshman.

But, we sure do love Washington now don't we?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12