Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The amount of sheer ignorance that proliferates on this board after a loss...

Started by TomasPistola, February 04, 2009, 09:15:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhawgfan

No way Pel gets it done in 4 years unless he recruits better players. I like Fortson but he needs a shooter to dish it too (plese do not give me any of this Clarke crap), Washington is a man but he will soon be gone, and Henry has some raw talent that has yet to be tapped. What else do we have? Anybody?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Oliver

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 04, 2009, 09:37:20 pm
I have no problems with criticism. I have problems with people calling for his head.

Like I said in another thread...people calling for him to be fired now are as ignorant as the people that were calling for contract extensions after the OU and Texas games.

BallHog1

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 04, 2009, 09:38:44 pm
No way Pel gets it done in 4 years unless he recruits better players. I like Fortson but he needs a shooter to dish it too (plese do not give me any of this Clarke crap), Washington is a man but he will soon be gone, and Henry has some raw talent that has yet to be tapped. What else do we have? Anybody?
Again, last year nobody thought much of Washington and this year he is significant. It takes time to build a team and it takes time to build individual players.

Oliver

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 09:37:54 pm
So let me get this straight.  You're giving up on recruiting, the team, and every season until Pel is gone.  The same thing can be said about basketball as we did in football.  Young and inexperienced.  Idc how down the SEC is, there are some flat out athletes in this league, and with the exception of Ole Piss every team we have played have good battle tested players in this league.  Give this team some time.  Give this team support.  They need it the most now.

Like I said, I'm giving Pel 4 years to get us back to respectable.  I'm not confident at all that he will get us there.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:39:16 pm
Like I said in another thread...people calling for him to be fired now are as ignorant as the people that were calling for contract extensions after the OU and Texas games.

Good. We agree there too. My initial post said essentially that, people calling for his head are morons.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:35:28 pm
Every coach should get 4 years to build a program regardless of the results.  There is no reason Pelphrey should get less time than Heath did.  That being said, Pelphrey's teams performances absolutely deserve to be criticized.  I'm not very impressed with Pelphrey so far and I don't think he'll get the job done in 4 years.
What hasn't impressed you about Pel?  The fact that the team he had last year, whom we said were lazy unachievers, went to the NCAA and actually won a freaking game.  Now we've lost 80% of our scoring, no seniors, and playing in the most athletic league in the country, and you're he hasn't impressed you?  There is no impressing with a team like this.  Your point is numb to me.

BallHog1

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 09:40:37 pm
What hasn't impressed you about Pel?  The fact that the team he had last year, whom we said were lazy unachievers, went to the NCAA and actually won a freaking game.  Now we've lost 80% of our scoring, no seniors, and playing in the most athletic league in the country, and you're he hasn't impressed you?  There is no impressing with a team like this.  Your point is numb to me.
My fourth toe on my left foot, next to the little toe, is numb.

ThisTeetsTaken

Tell us what we have coming next year to make a difference?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

WilsonHog

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 04, 2009, 09:37:20 pm
I have no problems with criticism. I have problems with people calling for his head.

Consider people calling for him to be fired in the same category as you would a man you see walking down the street munching on a turd.

Just stone-cold crazy.

UAfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 09:42:52 pm
Tell us what we have coming next year to make a difference?
3 players with NBA potential.  A 6-6 200+ lb. Forward, and a shooter with a year's experience under his belt.

elksnort

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 04, 2009, 09:43:50 pm
Consider people calling for him to be fired in the same category as you would a man you see walking down the street munching on a turd.

Just stone-cold crazy.
Good lord, could have gone all week without this imagery!

UAfan

Just stone-cold crazy.
HAHA.  Couldn't agree with you more.

Oliver

I'm not asking you to change your opinion of Pelphrey or this team.  I'm unimpressed with his recruiting.  He has to be able to pull down at least one top 50 recruit...preferably top 25.  I don't like how it's the same story in every SEC game this year...no improvement shown...poor perimeter defense...poor free throw shooting (FUNDAMENTALS!!!)...no blocking out...poor shot selection...etc.  If we're still playing this way come early March, what the hell is there to look forward to?  Our great recruiting class next year?

hawgsav1

Just stone-cold crazy.

Ewww...you couldn't have picked a better visual?  I'm eating here...

...btw I agree with you, but still...that's nasty...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 09:44:33 pm
3 players with NBA potential.  A 6-6 200+ lb. Forward, and a shooter with a year's experience under his belt.
Whoa whoa whoa.   3 players with NBA potential?   Kinda stepping out there, aren't ya?    Shooter?

TNhawgfan

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 09:44:33 pm
Who is this shooter you refer to?

TomasPistola

Most years I was unimpressed with Nolan's recruiting. But he found players that fit his system (YES, I know there were some great players too). I want Pel to have time to build just like Nolan did.
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

BallHog1

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:45:06 pm
I'm not asking you to change your opinion of Pelphrey or this team.  I'm unimpressed with his recruiting.  He has to be able to pull down at least one top 50 recruit...preferably top 25.  I don't like how it's the same story in every SEC game this year...no improvement shown...poor perimeter defense...poor free throw shooting (FUNDAMENTALS!!!)...no blocking out...poor shot selection...etc.  If we're still playing this way come early March, what the hell is there to look forward to?  Our great recruiting class next year?
Probably the same because its the same inexperienced (has anyone mentioned 3 freshmen starting) team and they have yet to experience a full season in D1 basketball. Its not going to get fixed this year. Games are won in the offseason not between games during the season.

Hogbody

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 09:46:08 pm
Whoa whoa whoa.   3 players with NBA potential?   Kinda stepping out there, aren't ya?    Shooter?

Fortson, Washington, and Powell I would assume.

UAfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 09:46:08 pm
Whoa whoa whoa.   3 players with NBA potential?   Kinda stepping out there, aren't ya?    Shooter?
Not really.  Washington, Fortson, and Henry.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 04, 2009, 09:30:49 pm
The SEC isn't pitiful.  I'm mad that we lost to a sorry, overrated, undercoached, non-disciplined Tennessee basketball team tonight.  However, I don't want to fire the coach.  That would be highly irrational.
I did not say fire the coach in my post. in fact i have saisd over and over to give him another year. but the time for excuses are over. we are 1 and 6 in the worst bcs basketball confrence in the country. losing is now a habit at arkansas. it has to stop.

BallHog1

As an old man once told me, you gotta dance with what brung ya. Pel is currently dancing with what brung him.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 09:22:42 pm
There is nothing on the horizon to hang our hats on.  We have ONE player, maybe, coming in next year to add quality talent and depth to this team.   Like some others have said though, if Washington leaves early,  it's going to be more of the same and then some.  That's why people are letting go of the rope so soon.

That sums it up for me.....You at least expect to see a young team get better if they have talent and are properly Coached, but we haven't gotten any better based on what I have been watching. Looking ahead to next year is a scary thought if a couple of recruits don't make it.....And if Wash goes to the NBA, forget about it. Pel had 6 schollies, and only 2 are SEC caliber players, and that is Fort and Henry. I was excited about Clarke, but he is a huge liability on D and is either hot or ice cold shooting. Tonight he hurt us bad.

I have been as optimistic as anyone, but this just sucks!! The Vols played like crap tonight and won by throwing in shots off rebounds. Still don't understand why Moore or Clark didn't get a chance in the 2nd half to at least see if they could get a board.

Again I hate to be negative, but the future doesn't look too bright as I see it.

Any chance at the NCAA is officially over....All we had to do was go .500 in a down conference after our 2 big wins, but we may not win 2 more games. Just depressing!!!

Hogbody

TomasPistola

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 04, 2009, 09:48:06 pm
Probably the same because its the same inexperienced (has anyone mentioned 3 freshmen starting) team and they have yet to experience a full season in D1 basketball. Its not going to get fixed this year. Games are won in the offseason not between games during the season.

No one wants to hear the Youth excuse because it's a good one. Just because Kobe could go straight to the NBA all players would be NBA level their freshmen year.
You were right.
You did a great job.

TNhawgfan

ThisTeetsTaken

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on February 04, 2009, 09:50:16 pm
That sums it up for me.....You at least expect to see a young team get better if they have talent and are properly Coached, but we haven't gotten any better based on what I have been watching. Looking ahead to next year is a scary thought if a couple of recruits don't make it.....And if Wash goes to the NBA, forget about it. Pel had 6 schollies, and only 2 are SEC caliber players, and that is Fort and Henry. I was excited about Clarke, but he is a huge liability on D and is either hot or ice cold shooting. Tonight he hurt us bad.

I have been as optimistic as anyone, but this just sucks!! The Vols played like crap tonight and won by throwing in shots off rebounds. Still don't understand why Moore or Clark didn't get a chance in the 2nd half to at least see if they could get a board.

Again I hate to be negative, but the future doesn't look too bright as I see it.

Any chance at the NCAA is officially over....All we had to do was go .500 in a down conference after our 2 big wins, but we may not win 2 more games. Just depressing!!!

/sigh....

OUR CHANCES AT MAKING THE NCAA THIS YEAR WERE PRACTICALLY NIL! You people think that experts picked us dead last because they hate us. They picked us last because we lost over half the team and replaced them with Freshmen that need coaching and time to develop.
You were right.
You did a great job.

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:45:06 pm
http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68196&Sport=2
#56...close enough...he fills a need
Borden is a 7 footer barefoot...a guy who can alter shots...fills a need

Hogbody

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 09:50:35 pm
We were talking about the recruiting class.

No he wasnt.

Since all of you basketball gods know what to do, how would you do any better?  How would you convince recruits to come to the University of Arkansas since you are so all-knowing?

Oliver

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 04, 2009, 09:50:23 pm
No one wants to hear the Youth excuse because it's a good one. Just because Kobe could go straight to the NBA all players would be NBA level their freshmen year.

Youth isn't going to win you a ton of games but youth can IMPROVE as the year goes on.  Our youth haven't improved their game at all.

hawgsav1

There has definitely been improvement.  We got slaughtered by Auburn and Mississippi State at home.  We've rebounded by playing LSU tough on the road and beating Alabama and catching a bad break against Tennessee. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

BallHog1

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 04, 2009, 09:50:23 pm
You're right, they don't want to hear it, but youth is a blessing and a curse in all of life. Thank God I didn't have to make any big financial decisions when I was 18 and also that not many high school kids try to go straight to the NBA. It generally doesn't work out well.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Hogbody on February 04, 2009, 09:52:42 pm
No he wasnt.

Since all of you basketball gods know what to do, how would you do any better?  How would you convince recruits to come to the University of Arkansas since you are so all-knowing?
Ok, then he answered my question about the recruiting class with players already on the team. 

Oliver

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 09:52:40 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah...fills a need.  Translation...people will be making Michael Sanchez comments about him just like they did Steven Hill. 

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:53:06 pm
Youth isn't going to win you a ton of games but youth can IMPROVE as the year goes on.  Our youth haven't improved their game at all.
Fortson has shown slow improvement.  Clarke is the most heavily guarded player on the team, as a Freshman.  Henry is slowly but surely making his way up.  Our youth has improved, but the majority of the teams we've played have veteran athletes, and no youth can overcome that.

Oliver

Quote from: hawgsav1 on February 04, 2009, 09:54:16 pm
There has definitely been improvement.  We got slaughtered by Auburn and Mississippi State at home.  We've rebounded by playing LSU tough on the road and beating Alabama and catching a bad break against Tennessee. 

How did we "catch a bad break" against Tennessee?

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:55:12 pm
Yeah, yeah, yeah...fills a need.  Translation...people will be making Michael Sanchez comments about him just like they did Steven Hill. 
What did the football team do this year.  They filled needs.  Coaches don't give two sh!ts about the Rivals 150.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:56:14 pm
How did we "catch a bad break" against Tennessee?

the refs made us go with four guards in the last three minutes. Not fair. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

BallHog1

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:55:12 pm
Sanchez will eventually make a decent role player....if he works as hard as they say he does. I actually thought he showed some improvement tonight right up until the bad pass/turnover. At least he's starting to take the ball to the hoop with a little aggression.

Oliver

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 09:56:55 pm
What did the football team do this year.  They filled needs.  Coaches don't give two sh!ts about the Rivals 150.

Yeah, they filled needs with a top 15 recruiting class!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 09:52:40 pm
You're might not see 1 or 2 of those next year. 

HawgAdvocate

We were one basket away from winning against a top 30 team.

Some of you are a bunch of crybabies.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

BallHog1

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:59:16 pm
Pel filled the need for a point guard and probably an outside shooter if Clark ever comes out of this funk. Now we have new needs. It will come.

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 09:59:16 pm
Pel had a top 10 in his first year!  What more do you want?

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 04, 2009, 09:58:15 pm
Sanchez will eventually make a decent role player....if he works as hard as they say he does. I actually thought he showed some improvement tonight right up until the bad pass/turnover. At least he's starting to take the ball to the hoop with a little aggression.
I'm all about optimism but MY GOSH.

UAfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 10:00:47 pm
Don't get me wrong I absolutely think it sucks that we're 1-6, but the OU and Texas game gave us false hope.  In all reality we shouldn't be much better than where we're at.

BallHog1

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 04, 2009, 10:00:47 pm
Hell, I even wanted Rojo and Peanut Adams to succeed, so yes, maybe optimistic to a fault.
I think we need a Lindsey Howell type player really badly. I hope he's already there but hasn't gotten in the groove yet. Hope, hope, hope.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 04, 2009, 09:52:09 pm
/sigh....

OUR CHANCES AT MAKING THE NCAA THIS YEAR WERE PRACTICALLY NIL! You people think that experts picked us dead last because they hate us. They picked us last because we lost over half the team and replaced them with Freshmen that need coaching and time to develop.

They love to pick us last, and we should never use that as an excuse. We would never win crap if they were always right.

I understand we lost a lot of players, what concerns me is what we have coming in next year to help out. And as said earlier, what is the outlook if Washington leaves?