Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The amount of sheer ignorance that proliferates on this board after a loss...

Started by TomasPistola, February 04, 2009, 09:15:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 04, 2009, 10:00:02 pm
We were one basket away from winning against a top 30 team.

Some of you are a bunch of crybabies.
No some of us are tired of seeing the hawgs lose in basketball. and hearing excuses for losing. this young stuff is an excuse for losing. the sec is terrible in basketball. and the hawgs are still losing. fans should never be ok with losing.

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 10:05:12 pm
To see that top 10 class PROGRESS!!!
Progress?  What more do you want?  Fortson a leader.  Clarke still needs work, but has shown promise.  And Henry making his way into the starting lineup a month removed from knee surgery.  The football freshman showed progress, but it doesn't remove the fact that we were 5-7

Razorvet

I think having such unbalanced recruiting classes is gonna result in a really down year every so often. We need to balance it out a bit. And its hard to call this a down year when we were picked last in the SEC and jumped up and smacked a cpl of top tens. Its hard to take these tough losses. But I love this group.

UAfan

Quote from: Razorvet on February 04, 2009, 10:10:14 pm
I think having such unbalanced recruiting classes is gonna result in a really down year every so often. We need to balance it out a bit. And its hard to call this a down year when we were picked last in the SEC and jumped up and smacked a cpl of top tens. Its hard to take these tough losses. But I love this group.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Oliver

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 10:09:00 pm
Progress?  What more do you want?  Fortson a leader.  Clarke still needs work, but has shown promise.  And Henry making his way into the starting lineup a month removed from knee surgery.  The football freshman showed progress, but it doesn't remove the fact that we were 5-7

It also doesn't change the fact that our football team will probably win more games than our basketball team will in SEC play.

Razorvet

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 10:09:00 pm

Yeah but who is the girl in the Avatar and what is her phone number?

WilsonHog

At the beginning of the season I thought we had no shot to make the NCAAs. None.

Why should I have thought otherwise?

One week in December - two games - made me rethink that. In retrospect, that was stupid. What rational person bases any opinion on the outcome of two games?

This team can maybe win 17 or 18 games. That's about what I expected they could do given what we had returning. I see no reason to be too pessimistic now.

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 04, 2009, 10:11:44 pm
It also doesn't change the fact that our football team will probably win more games than our basketball team will in SEC play.
Ok try to get this through your head.  3 freshman started tonight.  5 people can be on the court for one a team at a time. That means that over half of the people on the court are 18 years old, playing kids who are vets in the league.  In football we didn't have over half our players on the field as freshman.  Yes we played a lot of frosh but we still had a Sr. qb, a senior center, and junior rb, all leaders on the field.  Is this making any sense. 

UAfan

Quote from: Razorvet on February 04, 2009, 10:12:34 pm
Yeah but who is the girl in the Avatar and what is her phone number?
My great friend Erin Andrews, and you'll have to call ESPN for her digits.

Oliver

Quote from: UAfan on February 04, 2009, 10:16:54 pm
Ok try to get this through your head.  3 freshman started tonight.  5 people can be on the court for one a team at a time. That means that over half of the people on the court are 18 years old, playing kids who are vets in the league.  In football we didn't have over half our players on the field as freshman.  Yes we played a lot of frosh but we still had a Sr. qb, a senior center, and junior rb, all leaders on the field.  Is this making any sense. 

Okay, get this through your head.  What Pelphrey has to work with this year is LIGHT YEARS more than what Petrino had to work this year.  Our best player on our football team was A CENTER!!!  Pelphrey has a 5 star Forward in Michael Washington, a decent junior shooting guard, and 3 young, but talented players in his starting lineup.  To compare the talent is ridiculous.

Oliver

Look, this conversation is going nowhere...

Pelphrey is going to have more time to get things in order.  I hope he does it because I don't want to have to watch the same miserable excuses for basketball games the next 2 to 3 years.  Right now, I don't see Pelphrey succeeding at Arkansas.  He may very well bring in Powell next year, and between him and our 3 talented freshmen finally learning fundamentals and defense in the offseason, we might be NCAA bound next year.  We might see more of the same next year and be NIT bound.  Just understand this...just because I believe Pelphrey is going to fail DOESN'T mean I'm wanting him to fail.

bwbcpa

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 04, 2009, 09:15:05 pm
...is absolutely astounding. Yes I posted this in the game thread but you mouth breathers are getting ridiculous. Fire Pel? WTH?? Are you people freaking high? Who do you want to come coach the team? Who do you think would come here if we fired a guy in his second year? Get a freaking clue and understand that this team played out of its mind to beat Texass and Oklahoma (OK and TX played like crap too) and we were gonna lose games this year. You all need to take a step back and chill. Our time will come but it wasn't gonna be this year.

Outstanding! +1 (X100)  :razorback:

The Hogfather

Clarke = role player
Sanchez = role player
Britt = role player
Welsh = role player

Moore and Clark can't even sniff the floor for some reason, Monk is being held out for whatever reason, Henry is talented, but raw, Fortson is Jeckyll and Hyde.  Washington is the only player on our team that could start for too many other teams.

Face it, we need more, quality players.  I just hope Pel gets some in here quick.

BrooklynRoss

This is a stupid argument. Coaches get three years to turn things around, that's the way it's been for around 15 years. Before that they got until all players were their own recruits or four years, whichever came first. If you're asking for actual results in the second year from a new coach at a major college program you don't follow the game.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

WBOBO

We win this game tonight if Marcus Monk would have played only the last five minutes of the game, much less the entire game.  He would have helped alter their inside game the final few minutes.
Get him back ASAP!!!
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Oliver

Quote from: WBOBO on February 04, 2009, 11:04:12 pm
We win this game tonight if Marcus Monk would have played only the last five minutes of the game, much less the entire game.  He would have helped alter their inside game the final few minutes.
Get him back ASAP!!!

"Boy, when you lose a Marcus Monk, it really hurts.  He's good for at least 7 points."

WBOBO

It would have been Monk's DEFENSE and athleticism that would have made the difference.  Something
we definitely needed the last five minutes of the game. 
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Oliver

Quote from: WBOBO on February 04, 2009, 11:11:07 pm
It would have been Monk's DEFENSE and athleticism that would have made the difference.  Something
we definitely needed the last five minutes of the game. 

Possibly.  Very possible.  We didn't have him though.  Good teams make adjustments.  Bad teams make excuses.

heathtits

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 04, 2009, 10:58:11 pm

Face it, we need more, quality players.  I just hope Pel gets some in here quick.

You say this as if our recruiting class isn't official? We aren't magically going to get anyone else. If you define quick than I assume you're hoping for 2010?

We have Powell and Farmer coming in. That's it. I'd do what Wilson called crazy if Borden actually makes it to the Hill next year.

People keep saying "I hope he brings them in, and quick" well those are who we got and those are who we will have next year, possibly without Washington. So lets talk about our class the way it is, not under the assumption of some distant Sunshine 18 point comeback scenario.

I don't want Pel to be fired, I just really wished we could have landed at least 4 IMPACT players in the upcoming class. We got 1, possibly 2.

The Hogfather

Quote from: heathtits on February 04, 2009, 11:22:35 pm
You say this as if our recruiting class isn't official? We aren't magically going to get anyone else. If you define quick than I assume you're hoping for 2010?

We have Powell and Farmer coming in. That's it. I'd do what Wilson called crazy if Borden actually makes it to the Hill next year.

People keep saying "I hope he brings them in, and quick" well those are who we got and those are who we will have next year, possibly without Washington. So lets talk about our class the way it is, not under the assumption of some distant Sunshine 18 point comeback scenario.

I don't want Pel to be fired, I just really wished we could have landed at least 4 IMPACT players in the upcoming class. We got 1, possibly 2.

There's still a spring signing period, right?  Some people are suggesting that Mitchell (swingman from AL that asked for his release from Bama) might be interested in us and Pel's looking at a few more.  There's still time.

I also wish he'd play Moore and Clark more often.  I don't care if they're not ready.  This season is not going to end well, regardless of who you play.  These two have a lot of potential and athletic ability.  Can't do much worse than who we have in there now.  I just don't understand it.

heathtits

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 04, 2009, 11:25:55 pm
There's still a spring signing period.  Some people are suggesting that Mitchell might be interested in us and he's looking at a few more.  There's still time.

I also wish he'd play Moore and Clark more often.  I don't care if they're not ready.  This season is not going to end well, regardless of who you play.  These two have a lot of potential and athletic ability.  Can't do much worse than who we have in there now.  I just don't understand it.

Their defense is horrible. I wouldn't feel crazy saying Jason Henry is a better option under the goal defending right now than Either Clark or Moore. Plus he rebounds his tail off. Brandon Moore gets a block now and again but usually gets lost similar to Michael Washington always did in the past giving up dunks on simple screen rotations in the paint.

It would be really ugly, but I agree, them not getting PT does not look good for next year, especially if we lose Wash.

The Hogfather

They aren't going to get better sitting on the bench and they can't be much worse than Sanchez.  Play them this year with the hopes that the light will come on by next year. 

heathtits

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 04, 2009, 11:29:59 pm
They aren't going to get better sitting on the bench and they can't be much worse than Sanchez.  Play them this year with the hopes that the light will come on by next year. 

Sometimes Dirty isn't all that bad. He made a great turn around jumper today and recognized some nice mismatches by taking it to the hole tonight. Granted he missed at least 3 layups but the kid is still only a Freshman.

By the time he is a senior he will offer solid bench minutes.

Hoggy1

People with an absolutely SMALL TO NONE basketball IQ, like most on this board.....

please, take a step back and look at Nolans' first 2 years, a smidgen over .500.

Face it...it takes 3 solid years to build a good, consistent basketball program.  I give Pel through next season, and although we make the NCAA tourney next year, look for the Hogs to start busting doors down in 2010-2011.

Some of you morons want too much in such short time.  Take a chill pill
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

The Hogfather

Quote from: heathtits on February 04, 2009, 11:31:55 pm
Sometimes Dirty isn't all that bad. He made a great turn around jumper today and recognized some nice mismatches by taking it to the hole tonight. Granted he missed at least 3 layups but the kid is still only a Freshman.

By the time he is a senior he will offer solid bench minutes.

Agreed.  But, Moore and Clark can give us more solider bench minutes by the time they are seniors......IF PELPHREY WILL PLAY THEM NOW.  I'll trust him.  Just giving my thoughts.

Swine & Cheese Club

Moore and Clark aren't playing for a reason. That decision is being made by watching and coaching these kids practically every day since last fall.  I'm giving Pel the benefit of the doubt that they just aren't doing the right things in practice to warrant any playing time in games.

HawgTide

We lost to the team favored to win the  SEC title this year.It hurts but deal with it.There are a lot of games left this season and they are still playing hard.Some of you guys need to quit being whiny [CENSORED] and support the team.JP is going to be here for the next year and a half at a minimum and no amount of biching and whining is going to change that.If we are still bad at the end of next season have at it but the constant negativity serves no purpose now.

UAalumUALRlaw

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 04, 2009, 09:15:05 pm
...is absolutely astounding. Yes I posted this in the game thread but you mouth breathers are getting ridiculous. Fire Pel? WTH?? Are you people freaking high? Who do you want to come coach the team? Who do you think would come here if we fired a guy in his second year? Get a freaking clue and understand that this team played out of its mind to beat Texass and Oklahoma (OK and TX played like crap too) and we were gonna lose games this year. You all need to take a step back and chill. Our time will come but it wasn't gonna be this year.

Fans get emotional and rant after games. Hell, I'd be worried if people were saying stupid things like "fire Pel" after tough losses in a tough string of many losses. It's just emotion. Nobody really wants him fired. I think 99% of hog fans know that the jury's still out on Pel and most of us think he's going to prove to be a fine coach. If people weren't getting pissed after losses it would mean the fans were apathetic which is much worse than being critical.

WPS!

The Hogfather

Trojan

stop dwelling on the record and your own little ego.  look at the big picture.  we don't have the talent or experience to have a great record.  it will come just calm down and accept the fact that the players are doing the best they can right now.  hey if this attitude would have won out when Nolan was here there would be no national championship banner.  how many of you were wanting to get rid of Nolan after the first and second years?

BallHog1

Quote from: Trojan on February 05, 2009, 08:09:01 am
stop dwelling on the record and your own little ego.  look at the big picture.  we don't have the talent or experience to have a great record.  it will come just calm down and accept the fact that the players are doing the best they can right now.  hey if this attitude would have won out when Nolan was here there would be no national championship banner.  how many of you were wanting to get rid of Nolan after the first and second years?
good post and I agree. I wasn't calling for Nolan's job because I was watching practice and could see he was legit. That said, many, many, many were.

elksnort

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

many of you have NO clue.

washington is good on offensive will NOT guard in the post, will not fight.
sanchez-is nailed to the floor, cannot rebound or score above the rim, a real problem in an athletic league
henry-talented, raw, learning how to play hard all the time
clarke-volume shooter in hs, having to learn how to get his shot off and score points on fewer shots.
welsh-emotional roller coaster, not tough, look at all the missed lay-ups in traffic
fortson-needs a jumper shot
clark & moore-have to figure out what it takes day in and day out to be a player on this level.

this team has a real lack of athletic physical players (both mental & physical), we are a porsche in a demolition derby.

the classes are so messed up it will take a while to get it straight.  one thing  we have to stop taking marginal character & mental players. we need talented players with character.  petrino said it yesterday first thing character, second talent.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorod

I like you post. Makes sense and all.

My question and concern is can Pel recruit the quality kid that can also play basketball in the SEC? Just like programs, coaches have windows in which they must perform or pretty soon their reputation sinks so low nobody will commit to them. If we finish less than 4-12, who in the 2010 class will sign with him? Maybe he's on Luke Cothron strong enough to get his signature. Outside of that?

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

TNhawgfan

What I've gathered from reading three pages of this argument is that the people who are ok with this team's lack of progression are basketball gurus with knowledge of the game. And the people who are upset because the players continually do the same dumb things that cost us games (which in some ways does reflect coaching) are morons, idiots, and people with no basketball i.q. If being upset with a complete lack of fundamentals means I don't know jack about basketball, I severely question what being complacent with a team that just lost at home to a horribly coached undisciplined UT team means. Morons!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Kevin

my no clue comment is on people who don't look at the whole picture.  just react by this sucks, fire him

remember i said this, willy robinson will be a better dc this year, and the majority on this board wanted him fired.

this roster does not have a player who has a complete game.  the classes of this program is screwed up.

this program has been in the spin cycle since the hiring of dana altman, then he left, then pel.

pel has to take a year and fight 6 seniors every day for their and the teams improvement. wins a ncaa game signs a nice class, not great, fortson a difference maker.
still in recruiting payne bust out, bring in mcdonald

beverly leaves (has to or his choice no matter), mcdonald is a pain, he is gone. 

finally get this roster settled, then monk is now out, monk was the center of toughness.

i just ask for everyone to see the whole picture, not just the emotional snap shot of a defeat.

some of the problems have been self inflicted, but plenty were inherited and it takes time to fix. 

i would like to see pel and his staff be able to work without being in the spin cycle.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

jts900011

I bet Thomas had the hogs winning at least 9 games in the conference. Heck, this guy probably thought they could go undefeated.
     If he wants to believe in John Pelphrey that is fine and well within his domain. However, you would think if someone is going to crumble about the fans reaction to the travesty of this basketball season, and pretend to set himself up as  president of the "save John Pelphrey committee", he or she would 've had to seen the lack of success in conference coming.
    I mean, this guy, should have been one of the few that believed this team was heading for heart ache. Unless he did, then he is speaking out of his you know what! Hey, if he picked them to be one and six now he can lead the club if he wants to.
    However, there are those of us that know John Pelphrey is not getting it done. And we were not the ones that thought they would or could win eight or nine. This is what is funny about it. We picked correctly after the Texas and Oklahoma games that this team and this coach left a lot to be desired and that they were going to struggle in conference play. But now that the team and coach have we still don't know what we are talking about. But "they are going to win them all Thomas" is the genius,self appointed profound one, to show us the error of our way.
      What was a six year drought with Heath looks as though it has become at least a TEN OR ELEVEN year drought with Pelphrey. Unfortunately, I do not think Arkansas will fire John Pelphrey even if this team loses the rest of their games. They should though!
     If someone can prove to me that there is reason for hope then I am there. But, please do not tell me what I have a right to be upset with and don't. I picked them to win less than five games in the conference after the Texas and Oklahoma game right here on this website. I was under no delusion then. I said they sucked then and I was right, but now I don't have the right to say "we need a new coach."
     I am completely without any hope or faith in john Pelphrey. If he could not get sec calibre talent last year with all those scholarships then how can he be trusted with the future. He recruited two athletes the last two years that have the kind of talent we need. The rest of them are dead weight and here for an eternity.
     When does the relief come. How long do we have to wait before stating the obvious. His recruiting class next year is looked on as pathetic by the rest of the nation. Yet, you say wait! Will it be all right next year when this team doesn't make the tournament again? Can we say something then without offending you? Tell us Thomas. How long do we have to wait?
     For myself, I do not think that John Pelphrey has done a good job of coaching or recruiting. A couple or three more wins this year is not a good job of coaching even with this lack luster team he has assembled. It would be different if our conference was up this year, but it is not!!!! This team should being playing better on the floor, but it is not!!!! We should be able to look to the future, but we cannot!!!!
     But let us all sit here and wait until a sufficient period of time has elapse to avoid the appearance of being over expectatious. I say the hell with it. We have all ready been judged incorrectly by these twits over the Houston Nutt gig. Fire Pelphrey now and hire Nolan.
     You can say what you want, but I feel Nolan should have never been fired in the first place and in my simple way of keeping score the university would have made a step to heal an old wound and to wound an old heal. To me, John Pelphrey is a glaring reminder of the unfortunate past. He is a Frank Broyles hold over! Get rid of him now! Do not wait! I do not think this program can ever get back on the right track until he is gone. In all honesty, I would feel this way even if he was proving to be a pretty good coach, but this is not the case. So what is the harm in doing what is right?

OTTER

Quote from: jts900011 on February 05, 2009, 11:04:23 am
     I bet Thomas had the hogs winning at least 9 games in the conference. Heck, this guy probably thought they could go undefeated.
     If he wants to believe in John Pelphrey that is fine and well within his domain. However, you would think if someone is going to crumble about the fans reaction to the travesty of this basketball season, and pretend to set himself up as  president of the "save John Pelphrey committee", he or she would 've had to seen the lack of success in conference coming.
    I mean, this guy, should have been one of the few that believed this team was heading for heart ache. Unless he did, then he is speaking out of his you know what! Hey, if he picked them to be one and six now he can lead the club if he wants to.
    However, there are those of us that know John Pelphrey is not getting it done. And we were not the ones that thought they would or could win eight or nine. This is what is funny about it. We picked correctly after the Texas and Oklahoma games that this team and this coach left a lot to be desired and that they were going to struggle in conference play. But now that the team and coach have we still don't know what we are talking about. But "they are going to win them all Thomas" is the genius,self appointed profound one, to show us the error of our way.
      What was a six year drought with Heath looks as though it has become at least a TEN OR ELEVEN year drought with Pelphrey. Unfortunately, I do not think Arkansas will fire John Pelphrey even if this team loses the rest of their games. They should though!
     If someone can prove to me that there is reason for hope then I am there. But, please do not tell me what I have a right to be upset with and don't. I picked them to win less than five games in the conference after the Texas and Oklahoma game right here on this website. I was under no delusion then. I said they sucked then and I was right, but now I don't have the right to say "we need a new coach."
     I am completely without any hope or faith in john Pelphrey. If he could not get sec calibre talent last year with all those scholarships then how can he be trusted with the future. He recruited two athletes the last two years that have the kind of talent we need. The rest of them are dead weight and here for an eternity.
     When does the relief come. How long do we have to wait before stating the obvious. His recruiting class next year is looked on as pathetic by the rest of the nation. Yet, you say wait! Will it be all right next year when this team doesn't make the tournament again? Can we say something then without offending you? Tell us Thomas. How long do we have to wait?
     For myself, I do not think that John Pelphrey has done a good job of coaching or recruiting. A couple or three more wins this year is not a good job of coaching even with this lack luster team he has assembled. It would be different if our conference was up this year, but it is not!!!! This team should being playing better on the floor, but it is not!!!! We should be able to look to the future, but we cannot!!!!
     But let us all sit here and wait until a sufficient period of time has elapse to avoid the appearance of being over expectatious. I say the hell with it. We have all ready been judged incorrectly by these twits over the Houston Nutt gig. Fire Pelphrey now and hire Nolan.
     You can say what you want, but I feel Nolan should have never been fired in the first place and in my simple way of keeping score the university would have made a step to heal an old wound and to wound an old heal. To me, John Pelphrey is a glaring reminder of the unfortunate past. He is a Frank Broyles hold over! Get rid of him now! Do not wait! I do not think this program can ever get back on the right track until he is gone. In all honesty, I would feel this way even if he was proving to be a pretty good coach, but this is not the case. So what is the harm in doing what is right?

Pure ole poppy-cock. 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

TomasPistola

Quote from: jts900011 on February 05, 2009, 11:04:23 am

considering you couldn't even get my name correct I'm going to assume you were equally negligent in reading my post. I said people calling for his job at 2 years are insane. if you fall into this group congratulations. firing a coach with a serious rebuilding effort in front of him after 2 seasons is program suicide. And even those dpwn on Pel say the same. he is our coach. He will be for at least 2 more years.  So you can either support the team or not. Don't come in here with your weak post telling me who I am and what I believe. I support this coach until he gives me serious reasons not to. Losing to a much more talented Tennessee team won't do it.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

OTTER

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 05, 2009, 12:11:21 pm

considering you couldn't even get my name correct I'm going to assume you were equally negligent in reading my post. I said people calling for his job at 2 years are insane. if you fall into this group congratulations. firing a coach with a serious rebuilding effort in front of him after 2 seasons is program suicide. And even those dpwn on Pel say the same. he is our coach. He will be for at least 2 more years.  So you can either support the team or not. Don't come in here with your weak post telling me who I am and what I believe. I support this coach until he gives me serious reasons not to. Losing to a much more talented Tennessee team won't do it.
Bravo, sir bravo!!!  +1
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Kevin