Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Switch To Man?

Started by UltimateHog, February 04, 2009, 09:10:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UltimateHog

I mean honestly?

All game we played decent defense in zone.

Sure they ate us up some down low, but you've gotta stay in a zone that final minute or so.

We don't have the size to man up on them, and we got torched there at the end.

Same frickin' story, Sanchez can't block out or rebound, and gets shoved around like he's a twig.

Sanchez needs to be at UCA or ASU.

Period.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Niels Boar

Pel should have used a timeout to make some defensive substitutions in the last two minutes.  Vols scored on their last 5 possessions, twice after ORebs.  Smith scored once with Welsh guarding him, and Prince got a stickback over Clarke.  Shocking those guys would score with their defenders giving up half a foot.  Gawd, we need to be able to get bigger.  Sanchez is killing us with his inability to rebound.  Nobody scored for us in the final 10 minutes besides Fortson and Washington.  Why not have Britt in their for D in the final two?

UltimateHog

Sanchez plays like a 12 year old girl.

I'm sick to death of watching Sanchez get shoved around and watching someone else tip in a rebound.

Cost us the game.
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Niels Boar

Pel made a strategic error when he decided Sanchez could hold down the PF slot in the SEC in a small lineup.  He should have gotten Moore and/or Clark ready in nonconference instead of having them ride the pine.  Monk might have saved us.  This eligibility thing is costing us W's. 

UltimateHog

I hate to play the "well if we had so and so" card, but we have no choice.

Monk proved he can get in there and bang down low, man up and block guys out and get tough.

Exactly what we are missing.

TNhawgfan

Pel switched because it's harder to box out in a zone d than a man. The only problem is we didn't box out down the stretch in either d
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hoggin25

agreed, it is sad that this violation is keeping him out so long i haven't heard when/if he will be back, but if we had him in some of these games i don't think we would be 1-5 right now. he's got PT under his belt and could have put up a better performance that Sanchez has. damn this season is getting longer and longer...
WPS

Jim Harris

Quote from: Niels Boar on February 04, 2009, 09:18:44 pm
Pel should have used a timeout to make some defensive substitutions in the last two minutes.  Vols scored on their last 5 possessions, twice after ORebs.  Smith scored once with Welsh guarding him, and Prince got a stickback over Clarke.  Shocking those guys would score with their defenders giving up half a foot.  Gawd, we need to be able to get bigger.  Sanchez is killing us with his inability to rebound.  Nobody scored for us in the final 10 minutes besides Fortson and Washington.  Why not have Britt in their for D in the final two?

Niels, I say put everyone on one of those ancient racks and stretch 'em out 4-6 inches. That should do it. Imagine a 7-2 Michael Washington, not to mention a 6-5 Rotnei Clarke and a 6-3 Fortson. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 04, 2009, 09:35:20 pm
Pel switched because it's harder to box out in a zone d than a man. The only problem is we didn't box out down the stretch in either d

what's sad is that Pel and the previous coach didn't build the program in a way that such a player would have already been on the team and this current group wouldn't have had to be temporarily rescued on the inside by a guy cut from the NFL and just so happened to want to come back to school for a few months.
Frankly, I shudder to think where Arkansas might be if a coaching change had not been made two years ago.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Niels Boar

Quote from: DeAngelo Says 'No' on February 04, 2009, 09:45:31 pm
Niels, I say put everyone on one of those ancient racks and stretch 'em out 4-6 inches. That should do it. Imagine a 7-2 Michael Washington, not to mention a 6-5 Rotnei Clarke and a 6-3 Fortson. ;D

Fortson could play PF at 6' 3'' the way he scores inside.  Charles Barkley with hair.

BayofPigs

Quote from: DeAngelo Says 'No' on February 04, 2009, 09:47:54 pm

Frankly, I shudder to think where Arkansas might be if a coaching change had not been made two years ago.
i'm curious about this, do you think we could even be worse this year with Heath? not trying to argue with you; just want see what makes you say that.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BayofPigs on February 04, 2009, 10:00:15 pm
i'm curious about this, do you think we could even be worse this year with Heath? not trying to argue with you; just want see what makes you say that.

Heath's locker room was a ticking time bomb always waiting to go off. He had good assistants, two of which who could really recruit, but Heath was no leader.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

BayofPigs

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 04, 2009, 10:11:59 pm
Heath's locker room was a ticking time bomb always waiting to go off. He had good assistants, two of which who could really recruit, but Heath was no leader.
I agree, and I'm not saying Heath is a great coach, but we did pretty well on our homecourt while he was here

Jim Harris

Quote from: BayofPigs on February 04, 2009, 10:00:15 pm

more like worse over the next couple of seasons had Heath been retained. We can be worse than 1-6 in the league, but probably wouldn't be. I'm not sure what the guard situation would have been with Heath still around. I don't think it would have been better. I don't think Willie Warren or some of those guys were going to end up at Arkansas had Heath still been here. Maybe Cyrus McGowan would be an enforcer, though. Did you see the way he laid out the Wake Forest player for Miami on ESPN's highlights tonight?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: DeAngelo Says 'No' on February 04, 2009, 11:35:21 pm
more like worse over the next couple of seasons had Heath been retained. We can be worse than 1-6 in the league, but probably wouldn't be. I'm not sure what the guard situation would have been with Heath still around. I don't think it would have been better. I don't think Willie Warren or some of those guys were going to end up at Arkansas had Heath still been here. Maybe Cyrus McGowan would be an enforcer, though. Did you see the way he laid out the Wake Forest player for Miami on ESPN's highlights tonight?

We most likely would have had DeAndre Liggins at PG this year instead of Fortson, thanks to Cyprien. We may also have had a chance at landing Daniel Orton for next season as well. He is related to former assitant Oronde Taliaferro.

But, it's doubtful that Heath would have maintained the respect of his team.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12