Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan on Radio

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, February 03, 2009, 09:23:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Was just listening to Mr. Burns and Smithers up here on 1190 in NWA, and they were talking to former Auburn B-Ball coach Sonny Smith to get his comments on SEC/College Basketball.

Why do these guys or any show not get Nolan on on a regular basis to talk basketball?  I'd much rather listen to Nolan's thoughts and comments than some washed up has been from Alabama that I have never even heard of.  I would think Nolan would be a natural choice now that fences are being mended.

So my question is would you rather hear say a weekly spot with Nolan, or Coach Krusty from the Plains?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HognotinMemphis

I am not aware of fences being mended regarding Nolan. I'd just as soon never have to hear his BS again.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 03, 2009, 09:51:42 am
I am not aware of fences being mended regarding Nolan. I'd just as soon never have to hear his BS again.

Well I was referring to the honoring for the 1994 team, him being there for the announcement and being happy.  Pel welcoming him back and reaching out to him.  Nolan speaking to the team at practice the week before the Alabama game.  I am sure you were aware of all of that.

We have a former National Championship winning coach, that has also coached NIT and JUCO champions, highschool teams and the Panamanian and Mexican national teams.  He has basically done it all in coaching.   He may be contronversial at times and maybe even polarizing, but I'd rather hear Nolan's "BS" than the jack a$$es they have on now.

Also although you would rather not hear Nolan, I would say most of the reaction regarding improved relationship between Nolan and the University has been pretty positive.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

3kgthog

Nolan 10 years ago and Nolan now are completely different people.

intoxhog

February 03, 2009, 01:03:36 pm #4 Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:05:50 pm by intoxhog
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 03, 2009, 10:07:08 am
We have a former National Championship winning coach, that has also coached NIT and JUCO champions, highschool teams and the Panamanian and Mexican national teams.  He has basically done it all in coaching.   He may be contronversial at times and maybe even polarizing, but I'd rather hear Nolan's "BS" than the jack a$$es they have on now.
Agreed 100%

Ill take it one step futher, if Pel doesn't get the job done by the end of next year I say give Nolan another shot. I know that sounds crazy but I believe the man would be hungry again like he was back in his heyday!
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

TushCrush

I'd just as soon never have to hear his BS again.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual ...  ;)

NuttinItUp

hawgsav1

I'd rather hear Nolan's BS than anyone else's.  I was a Nolan supporter from the start and always will be a Nolan supporter. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

heathtits

Seriously? Have you not got what you wanted for Christmas the past 8 years or something?

Let it go.

tiber

I would find a way from California to listen in on a Nolan Richardson show.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 03, 2009, 10:07:08 am
Well I was referring to the honoring for the 1994 team, him being there for the announcement and being happy.  Pel welcoming him back and reaching out to him.  Nolan speaking to the team at practice the week before the Alabama game.  I am sure you were aware of all of that.

Also although you would rather not hear Nolan, I would say most of the reaction regarding improved relationship between Nolan and the University has been pretty positive.
Pelphrey is new to the university. He was barely out of college the last time Nolan did a decent job coaching and recruiting...the '95-'96 season. He is ignorant of what went on during Nolan's entire career at U of A, especially the last 7 seasons Nolan was head coach. What he thinks or does regarding Nolan is meaningless to me.

I think it is best if Nolan stays away from the program.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: tallahasseehog on February 03, 2009, 11:11:34 pm
I heart Nolan.  I would find a way from here to listen to him.  I wasn't a fan during his exit, but he built this program.  He had his own style.  He knows bball.  I would like to listen to his thoughts on bball.
Buddy, Eddie Sutton built the program. If you are not old enough to know that, you should do your homework.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Lazarus P. Hog on February 04, 2009, 01:53:53 am
He sold the program down the river! I could care less about Nolan and his BS!
The last 13 years of Razorback basketball has been awful. 1 or 2 NCAAT wins in all that time. The last 13 years includes the last 7 of of Nolan's coaching, 4 of Heath and 2 of Pel. The results of the last 13 years are completely a result of Nolan's efforts, or lack thereof. In other words, Nolan has been gone for 6 seasons yet the program is still paying for it. They had to hire another black man as head coach and hired one who was not ready, if he ever will be, for SEC quality competition. They are in the 2nd year of a head coach whose only head coaching experience previously was at South Alabama. And, he was the 3rd or 4th choice after the others declined the job. Thanks for all of that, Nolan.

I welcome the day and season when the Hogs begin the climb up and away from the current non-roll they have been on since the days of Nolan, the "selector".

intoxhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2009, 08:59:35 am
Buddy, Eddie Sutton built the program. If you are not old enough to know that, you should do your homework.
Eddie might have laid the foundation but Nolan put up the frame, dry wall electoral wiring, plumbing, landscaping, and put furniture in the place. And he didn't craw anywere after he did it either!
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

intoxhog

February 04, 2009, 10:00:21 am #14 Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:02:29 am by intoxhog
Quote from: Lazarus P. Hog on February 04, 2009, 09:36:24 am
But Nolan yanked all of that out after he left! The program suffers to this very day behind Nolans actions.
um no it isn't, it suffering as of now because of Stan Heath. Nolan is more than 5 years removed. Also, it can never be ignored that we have a NC under Nolan's watch with 2 other final four's. That my friend is Tradition.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: intoxhog on February 04, 2009, 09:14:29 am
Eddie might have laid the foundation but Nolan put up the frame, dry wall electoral wiring, plumbing, landscaping, and put furniture in the place. And he didn't craw anywere after he did it either!
You over state Nolan and don't give enough credit to Sutton. Sutton took the program from literally nothing to a top 10 power program...out of the SWC no less. A tough place to start back in the mid '70's when college bball was all about pac-8 and ACC.

Sutton took the Hogs to the FF in '78 and would have again the very next year if not for a Larry Bird-led Indiana State team beating the Hogs on a buzzer shot in the Elite Eight.

If not for Sutton, Nolan would not have had a strong program to come into and make better. Nolan did a fantastic job for 10 seasons. Why he stopped working from '96 on, who knows. He was well compensated the entire time at U of A. Did he want to be AD? If he did, he went about the wrong way. Too bad. You can't always get what you want. And when you don't get what you want, it's not right to crap on everything like Nolan did.

Sutton built the house and Nolan furnished it is as far as I would go in giving credit to the two of them.

intoxhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2009, 10:41:27 am
You over state Nolan and don't give enough credit to Sutton. Sutton took the program from literally nothing to a top 10 power program...out of the SWC no less. A tough place to start back in the mid '70's when college bball was all about pac-8 and ACC.

Sutton took the Hogs to the FF in '78 and would have again the very next year if not for a Larry Bird-led Indiana State team beating the Hogs on a buzzer shot in the Elite Eight.

If not for Sutton, Nolan would not have had a strong program to come into and make better. Nolan did a fantastic job for 10 seasons. Why he stopped working from '96 on, who knows. He was well compensated the entire time at U of A. Did he want to be AD? If he did, he went about the wrong way. Too bad. You can't always get what you want. And when you don't get what you want, it's not right to crap on everything like Nolan did.

Sutton built the house and Nolan furnished it is as far as I would go in giving credit to the two of them.
I disagree, some of you are still mad at nolan and will never forgive him for his verbal tirades at times. But let call it the way it is, Eddie was a great coach but Nolan brought home the hardware, enough said.

GS99

In all the decades of Razorback basketball, Nolan's teams have 3 of the 4 final four appearances and the only national championship.  That should be worth something.  As for the ugly aftermath, I put most of the blame on the people who fired him before senior day and somehow actually believed Nolan Richardson would go away quietly.  Had they not been paying attention?

As for the radio, even if you hate Nolan it'd be more interesting than anything else on local sports radio.  I never thought I'd be pining for the days of the dynamic Chuck Barrett.

HognotinMemphis

February 04, 2009, 11:51:31 am #18 Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:53:53 am by HoginMemphis
Quote from: GS99 on February 04, 2009, 10:56:09 am
In all the decades of Razorback basketball, Nolan's teams have 3 of the 4 final four appearances and the only national championship.  That should be worth something.  As for the ugly aftermath, I put most of the blame on the people who fired him before senior day and somehow actually believed Nolan Richardson would go away quietly.  Had they not been paying attention?

As for the radio, even if you hate Nolan it'd be more interesting than anything else on local sports radio.  I never thought I'd be pining for the days of the dynamic Chuck Barrett.
Who ever said it wasn't worth something? I certainly agree that 3 FF's is worth a ton. Just that what Nolan did at U of A would not have been likely but for the house that Eddie built. Nolan furnished it and maybe renovated it some.

Unfortunately, Nolan undid in his last 7 years all that he accomplished in his first 10. He left the program in a shambles...he had a bad last 7 years and a losing season in '02, his last year. He left the program in bad shape literally and figuratively. The Hogs had to hire another black head coach because of Nolan's lawsuit. A lawsuit that he lost in its entirety. Not one favorable ruling for Nolan in that lawsuit.

The U of A hired an incompetent head coach in Heath. He was in over his head at Ark and in the SEC. The Hogs are still suffering from the aftershocks of Nolan. That is widely understood, although not by some on this thread.

dddollars

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 03, 2009, 11:21:17 am
Nolan 10 years ago and Nolan now are completely different people.

not so sure about that...the small role he has now is the right one

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: dddollars on February 04, 2009, 01:18:46 pm
not so sure about that...the small role he has now is the right one
Exactly. Nolan was never contrite about his actions and words...he was contrite in how he was understood. Well, that's his problem.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2009, 03:26:30 pm
Exactly. Nolan was never contrite about his actions and words...he was contrite in how he was understood. Well, that's his problem.

Actually I heard and saw contrition in Nolan in person in the last game that he coached.  After the Mississippi State game in Starkville in 2002 he was doing his radio interview with Mike Nail after the game.  I was standing about 4 feet away from Nolan.  He was sitting between Mike and Joe Kleine.  Nolan apologized to the fans that night for what he had said earlier in the week.  He was very sad and his apology was heartfelt.  He knew he had lashed out at the wrong group at the time.  Mike Nail put his arm around Nolan several times during the interview.

I don't expect him to apologize for anything said about Frank, John White, or the situation at the University.  He doesn't have to apologize for suing the University either as far as I'm concerned.

MaconBacon

Jeez. Let it go Mark.

Maybe you're currently surrounded with too much BS....could that be it?

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: Lazarus P. Hog on February 04, 2009, 01:06:10 pm
I agree, Nolan bit the hand that fed him. He sucks!

Do you not remember Sutton's comments about crawling to Kentucky?  Sutton deserves a lot of credit, but Nolan has the hardware on his resume.  Where's Sutton's NC?  There isn't one, and it's not like he hasn't had enough time to get there.

Gohawgs 71

You're a numbnut

heathtits

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on February 04, 2009, 04:37:27 pm
Do you not remember Sutton's comments about crawling to Kentucky?  Sutton deserves a lot of credit, but Nolan has the hardware on his resume.  Where's Sutton's NC?  There isn't one, and it's not like he hasn't had enough time to get there.

This.

I'll quote Paul Newman in regards to Nolan. "If you don't have enemies, you don't have character."

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MaconBacon on February 04, 2009, 04:14:51 pm

Jeez. Let it go Mark.

Maybe you're currently surrounded with too much BS....could that be it?

Yeah, that's it. I'm surrounded by too much BS. Brilliant insight.

I was never holding onto anything to let go. But Nolan was...and still is. You pay a price for your actions. Nolan does not need to be involved with Ark basketball in any way. That ship sailed and Nolan got off the boat by his own volition.

intoxhog

February 04, 2009, 08:56:49 pm #27 Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:09:50 pm by intoxhog
Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2009, 08:00:10 pm

I was never holding onto anything to let go. But Nolan was...and still is. You pay a price for your actions. Nolan does not need to be involved with Ark basketball in any way. That ship sailed and Nolan got off the boat by his own volition.

This has been discussed, but wouldn't you be pissed if old Hottie was the toast to the BAC and hadn't done jackS*** in his career but you brought home a National Championship and you were treated like a leaper? We were quick to judge Nolan then but now that we know all the BS that was happening behind the scene up at the BAC i don't blame him for going Louis Farrakhan. Hell as far as that goes ill call JFB a racist too.

BTW, my favorite Nolan quote went something like this---

Reporter: Nolan do you think you can fill Eddie's shoes.

Nolan: I'm not worried about filling Eddie's shoes, I am only worried about filling my own!

That was his first press conference as U of A coach!

heathtits

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2009, 08:00:10 pm

Still is? He has publicly said he doesn't hold a grudge against Frank. What more does he have to do?

Everyone deserves a second chance, even if you're an adult. Mistakes were made, words were spoken that couldn't taken back but nothing worth banishing him over.

Are you into burning books?