Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May I comment on some of your views of Pelphrey, Heath, the players, etc.

Started by vandybuff, February 01, 2009, 11:24:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

vandybuff

Whether you love them or not, calling for their heads at every loss is making an impression ----- on all the future fans, players, contributors and even coaches and their families. 

I would image your team and my team are doing their best, and I also think that of the fifteen people on the bench, at least five 'want' to play and give their all.

I know some of you will not like this, but thank you all for reading.

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Tejano Jawg

OFF WITH VANDYBUFF'S HEAD!

Just kidding. You make a good point here, as usual.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

WilsonHog

Thanks, Vandy. Your contributions to the board are spot-on as usual.

Our fan base has often boasted of being the "best" in the nation (as if that's a measurable claim). Clearly, though, like other fan bases we too have our share of impatient, over-the-top, "I want it this year" people. No foresight; no ability to see down the road, give things time to play out, and support our players and coaches in the meantime. Every loss is just another opportunity to trash a player, doubt the present coach, blame a former coach, or blast the officials.   

Fortunately, we have enough fans with a sense of perspective and good sense to counterbalance the least among us. It's also a positive that we have some admins and mods who can keep the cannabilism to a minimum.       

Melorock089

Quote from: vandybuff on February 01, 2009, 11:24:18 am
Whether you love them or not, calling for their heads at every loss is making an impression ----- on all the future fans, players, contributors and even coaches and their families. 

I would image your team and my team are doing their best, and I also think that of the fifteen people on the bench, at least five 'want' to play and give their all.

I unfortunatly have to agree. Nobody is "trying" to lose, but when someone wins, everyone else has to lose. It's hard for fans to understand that.

Hopefully, most readers understand that they need to take the most of internet boards with a grain of salt. Fans always post something harmful or negative after a loss without regaining their senses, fickle, but passionate as they come.

BigSexyHog

I love how the majority of this board and other bashes the kids after every little thing....  I know everyone wants us to win, but I really have to shake my head at some of the things I read on these boards. 

I feel sorry for Sanchez, Fortson, Welsh and Clarke.  All of them take alot of crap that is not deserved.

+1 Vandy
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Oliver

While I hate individual player bashing, I think our continual futility in SEC play is causing more of a problem than anything we say on this board.  APATHY towards the basketball program is a bigger problem.  We need a reason to be excited again about our program.  Every time it seems we take a step forward, we take a step back.  We've been above .500 in SEC play twice since Nolan left.  We haven't won the SEC West in 14 years.  Recruiting is far from impressive next year.  We haven't shown any improvement in play since the OU and Texas wins. 

I've seen the quote, "Arkansas fans think their program is more relevant than it actually really is."  This is correct.  While we are reaching for the greats of our 90's teams, nobody associates us with that anymore.  Recruits, fans of other teams, the media, etc. don't associate us with that greatness anymore.  What's causing that isn't what us yahoo's say on this message board, it's our product on the court that we put out there year after year.

PigSnort

A little counterpoint here: 

1. Criticizing is not necessarily bashing.
2. Trying your best is not what a coach gets paid to do.

vandybuff

Let me add this - and I have said it before.  My concern is for the kids - they hopefully know that they opportunity to go beyond college playing sports is very, very limited, so for the sacrifice they make they hopefully get a quality education and have a rewarding, productive life.  If they are doing the best they can, we are small to be critical.  As to the coaches and university officials - they are adults - whatever happens to them is what does.

Now, let me ask you these two questions and I will go back to watching Puppy Bowl :)
1.  Do you give it your all every minute of every day on your job?,  With your family?  With your church? etc.
2.  If it were your child, would it offend you if I wrote to tell these board readers that I thought he/she was a lousy quitter and laughed at him/her?

thanks so!

Razor6

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

WilsonHog

Quote from: vandybuff on February 01, 2009, 03:08:47 pm
Let me add this - and I have said it before.  My concern is for the kids - they hopefully know that they opportunity to go beyond college playing sports is very, very limited, so for the sacrifice they make they hopefully get a quality education and have a rewarding, productive life.  If they are doing the best they can, we are small to be critical.  As to the coaches and university officials - they are adults - whatever happens to them is what does.

Now, let me ask you these two questions and I will go back to watching Puppy Bowl :)
1.  Do you give it your all every minute of every day on your job?,  With your family?  With your church? etc.
2.  If it were your child, would it offend you if I wrote to tell these board readers that I thought he/she was a lousy quitter and laughed at him/her?

thanks so!

"Act as if."

lost hawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 01, 2009, 12:41:57 pm
Thanks, Vandy. Your contributions to the board are spot-on as usual.

Our fan base has often boasted of being the "best" in the nation (as if that's a measurable claim). Clearly, though, like other fan bases we too have our share of impatient, over-the-top, "I want it this year" people. No foresight; no ability to see down the road, give things time to play out, and support our players and coaches in the meantime. Every loss is just another opportunity to trash a player, doubt the present coach, blame a former coach, or blast the officials.  

Fortunately, we have enough fans with a sense of perspective and good sense to counterbalance the least among us. It's also a positive that we have some admins and mods who can keep the cannabilism to a minimum.      
To many of our "fans" have the "right nows" They want the best car or a new house right now and not have to work and save and move from station to station to get ahead. They don't know the pleasure of working your tail off to get what you want, not to go political, but this is whats wrong with a lot in our country. There is an old saying getting there is half the fun. Let these kids grow-up, Coach Pel is not a kid but he is a young coach and he is learning also, lets give him and the team a chance.   

jamie72921

This is only Pel's second year, right?

Well it only goes to figure that any success he had last season would have been with the previous coach's recruits.

However, if you believe that those recruits represented a lot of talent then you are crazy. Everyone thought Beverly was all that because we were so talent depleted. He was a nice player, but not a franchise guy by any means.

Sonny Weems was the talent of that team. Everyone else was only fair to middling.

If Heath's recruits represent the pinnacle of Razorback basketball, then our expectations are way too high.
Bless your heart

SpareRib

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

hogsndawgs

Quote from: PigSnort on February 01, 2009, 02:49:38 pm

I agree with you 100%. But I also believe that Pel needs another year or two before we can know much about how good of a coach/recruiter he really is.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 01, 2009, 03:42:21 pm
This is only Pel's second year, right?

Well it only goes to figure that any success he had last season would have been with the previous coach's recruits.

However, if you believe that those recruits represented a lot of talent then you are crazy. Everyone thought Beverly was all that because we were so talent depleted. He was a nice player, but not a franchise guy by any means.

Sonny Weems was the talent of that team. Everyone else was only fair to middling.

If Heath's recruits represent the pinnacle of Razorback basketball, then our expectations are way too high.

Don't you mean way too low?

TNhawgfan

Thanks for the post vandy. I always enjoy reading the outsiders perspective on Arkansas sports.
Anyone who thinks our fans are particularly harsh on coaches or players has never lived outside of the Arkansas area in the heart of another team's home. I have lived other places, including right now Knoxville, TN, and that stuff goes on everywhere. People had been wanting Fulmer's head for the past two or three years - remember the man has a NC and went to the SEC Championship Game last year. I have good friends who live in Lexington and they could not stand Tubby and wanted him gone. Another man who won a NC and I think is an outstanding coach. That's the nature of high stakes sports and these coaches know it when they take the job. It's nothing personal or hateful
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

vandybuff

Thank you all for your positive comments.  My ideas were graciously received and I am very grateful.

PennHOG

I think we all knew that this year was a rebuilding year.  So when the team looses, I try and chalk it up as growing pains.  I avoid being on this board after a loss because of all the bi-polar, drama queen spew. 

Personally, I still think the team has talent but is a bit smallish.  I also think that at peak devleopment this team doesn't have enough talent to win any national championship, however, I'm rooting for Pel to show that he can develop these players and build a program that top level talent will want to come to.  I just think any decent coach needs time to build a program to the status we all desire.  It's just that it is not going to happen in only 1 1/2 years.

I like this team and the mix of players especially when they're playing with confidence.  I also like Pel's style.  I still think he's a winner.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

hillhog

Quote from: Razor6 on February 01, 2009, 03:14:23 pm
A sobering point of view from outside-in.  Thanks Vandy!
We all know these things to be true but it is ever so convienent to overlook them in the heat of the moment after watching us fail to produce what we feel we have the ability to.
Thanks Vandy for reminding us

vandybuff

... and thank you all for accepting this in the spirit that I intended.  Even those who get a bit overboard (IMO - and I am often wrong) are most, most likely very good people. 

I think the phrase of hillhog - heat of the moment - is very apropo for a lot of goofy things we all do - Lord knows I have done my share!

swinesation

rude1

I got the sure fire way to stop all of this, "JUST WIN BABY"....It's not a scientific rocket here.

daprospecta

Quote from: BigSexyHog on February 01, 2009, 01:53:49 pm
I love how the majority of this board and other bashes the kids after every little thing....  I know everyone wants us to win, but I really have to shake my head at some of the things I read on these boards. 

I feel sorry for Sanchez, Fortson, Welsh and Clarke.  All of them take alot of crap that is not deserved.

+1 Vandy
I aint for player bashing but sanchez has to get an animal instinct in him..........He has to want to dunk on people if he's gonna be a big man.....too many times he does layups and he should be dunking.......will give credit where credit is due he is making more of an effort to produce offensively lately....I am 6'4 and every opportunity i get i try to dunk on someone and make them look bad give me 5-6 more inches and im above the rim consistently........just want some aggressiveness......but hey what do i know I went up against tony hugo almost everyday and i thought he was soft but look where he is now

vandybuff

roundball

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 01, 2009, 02:07:45 pm
While I hate individual player bashing, I think our continual futility in SEC play is causing more of a problem than anything we say on this board.  APATHY towards the basketball program is a bigger problem.  We need a reason to be excited again about our program.  Every time it seems we take a step forward, we take a step back.  We've been above .500 in SEC play twice since Nolan left.  We haven't won the SEC West in 14 years.  Recruiting is far from impressive next year.  We haven't shown any improvement in play since the OU and Texas wins. 

I've seen the quote, "Arkansas fans think their program is more relevant than it actually really is."  This is correct.  While we are reaching for the greats of our 90's teams, nobody associates us with that anymore.  Recruits, fans of other teams, the media, etc. don't associate us with that greatness anymore.  What's causing that isn't what us yahoo's say on this message board, it's our product on the court that we put out there year after year.

couldn't agree more! +1

returntoglory

Weren't we all wanting to give Pel an extension in early January?

Oliver

Quote from: returntoglory on February 03, 2009, 03:48:08 pm
Weren't we all wanting to give Pel an extension in early January?

Nope.  Just a few.  Those few were just as ignorant as the ones that are currently wanting Pelphrey fired.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 01, 2009, 02:07:45 pm

I cannot believe we have not won the west in 14yrs.
Good is the enemy of great

Pigmund Freud

I was very down on Nolan his second year.  Look what happened. Pel is a great coach who combines the best of what we liked in Sutton   AND    Nolan. Trust me. Give him time and support.

roundball

Quote from: Pigmund Freud on February 04, 2009, 07:28:55 pm
I was very down on Nolan his second year.  Look what happened. Pel is a great coach who combines the best of what we liked in Sutton   AND    Nolan. Trust me. Give him time and support.

We're not talking Broyles anymore..this is Long and he's not going to put up with mediocracy! I can promise you that! I like Pel but if he doesn't start winning next year and have a better recruiting classes you're done.

Pigmund Freud

You are doomed to failure if you are that impatient. And the word is mediocrity.

Stateline Hawg

Quote from: PigSnort on February 01, 2009, 02:49:38 pm

How much do we pay Pelphrey, do we pay him the best, should we expect more out of him than Kentucky expects out of BCG. We expected top performances out of Nutt,but only paid him middle of the road in the conference, and what did we get from him?  Middle of the road, we wanted better, went out and paid for it, and today it showed up(NSD).  I understand that we are very young, what did we lose last yr. 6 or 7 players. And we only have 2 true low block players. Give Pel time or start writing checks(big ones) to get a big time recruiter in so we can compete.

mbgrulz

Vandy can't beat arkansas' meat as a program. 

GoHogs#1

Go Hogs

vandybuff

mbgrulz

Quote from: GoHogs#1 on February 04, 2009, 09:46:49 pm
Did you think of that all by yourself? Grow up!!!!
No, your mom taught me.

Seriously, it was a joke. Relax.