Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Short List for Basketball Coach

Started by Razorback7, January 29, 2006, 08:53:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback7

Does anyone know who may be on the short list for the opening for head basketball coach at the end of the year?

Its too obvious that Stan cannot coach in the SEC. Please lets admit it and finally find someone who is not a flash in the pan who can do the job. Our biggest mistake was letting Mike Anderson go. I would like to see him back but its highly unlikely. Memphis' head coach would be good for us but who knows. Someone fix the basketball program. I and many others are tired of watching the big lead slip away with poor coaching.

Thats my two cents.

lunchbox72703

1.  The debacle with Nutt will keep Heath here.

2.  No-one wants John Calipari from Memphis, unless you want a cheater of a coach to run this program into the dishonor.

But, I would kind of like Rick Majeris.....if his health would hold up.

Hawg414

i would support a 4-26 season under heath before i would a 34-2 national championship with calipari.  some people you just dont like in the world... and he would be enough to make me incapable of supporting my beloved hogs.

with that said... good question on the list.  i stated in another post that it just seems as though there are less viable "candidates" out there today than at any other time i can remember.  or maybe thats just my mind playing tricks on me since we've really only had 1 coaching search in my adult life. 

obviously i like the majerus idea... but if he wouldnt do it last time (USC), why would he now?

i like mike too... but i just dont think that will ever happen... due to either party. 

i like huggins as a winner... but at the same time, i dont care for the "thuggins" side of it. 

i do NOT care for another up-and-comer...regardless of how convincing the argument is for him.  safe to say the argument for heath was bulletproof 4 years ago (trained as top asst under a final-4 program...took a mid-major a bucket away from the final-4 himself in his only opportunity...STAR was tattooed on his forehead)

pitino would be incredible... but i just dont see him making that move.. louisville has just as much tradition as UA. 

i like the idea of donovan... but again, while we may put a few more fans in the stands...do you really see him making that move?  interconference?  i dont. 

bill self?  we had our chance at him.  he aint leaving kansas now to come here. 

so exactly who else is there?  just about anyone else falls under that up-and-comer label... and i just reeeaaaally dont want one of those.  dont want someone we have to wait 4 years to discover if we made a good hire or not.  if we fail on the next hire, we could potentially lose any connection we have to our successful past, bc it is already fading fast.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Tater Salad

Steve Shields is a very very good coach. He gets the most out of his players and they respect him. And most of all, he knows what he's doing.

Puerco Diablo

The Shark??? Now that's funny.

I have a short list that I am willing to share with Frank:

Two ways to look at it,

1) Get a proven old school coach who for whatever reason is not a head coach somewhere (i.e Bob Huggins, PJ Carlissimo, Larry Eustachy, or Tim Floyd

2) Or you get a solid coach from another conference that see's the SEC as an opportunity ( i.e. Paul Hewitt of Ga Tech, Anderson at UAB, Penders at Houston JUST KIDDING, Lorenzo Romar at Washington).

Hewitt might liketo get out of the ACC and away from Duke and UNC.  Anderson might want to upgrade from CUSA, and Romar might want to upgrade to a real tradition like Arkansas.

ENHOG

I wonder if Heath ever gets to talk to his mentor (IZZO) at Michigan State.  That might be something to try Heath? I mean come on let's get things going!!!!!
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

tophawg19

put up some damn money and hire a big name coach . it's time for arkansas to committ itsself to having a winning atheletic department again . losing sucks and so do most of our coaches . men's track and baseball and womens gymnastics seem to be in good hands but the other major sports programs show no committment to winning . we just keep hiring third rate coaches hoping one will turnout to be good .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

WichitaStateRazorback

hogfan98

January 29, 2006, 09:22:38 pm #9 Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 09:26:03 pm by hogfan98
my list:

beiline (sp?), west virginia  (favorite)
gillespie, texas am
anderson, uab
sadler, utep
few, gonzaga (grasping straws there)

EDIT:  that is in order of preference, with exception to few.

Hawg414

January 29, 2006, 09:23:59 pm #10 Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 09:27:43 pm by Hawg414
Quote from: tophawg19 on January 29, 2006, 09:17:23 pm
put up some damn money and hire a big name coach . it's time for arkansas to committ itsself to having a winning atheletic department again . losing sucks and so do most of our coaches . men's track and baseball and womens gymnastics seem to be in good hands but the other major sports programs show no committment to winning . we just keep hiring third rate coaches hoping one will turnout to be good .

we really do dont we??  we hired sutton and nolan as up-and-comers, which is a high risk option... yet with the success of both of those two, it kinda ruined us for the future didnt it?  bc seems like frank learned that gambling is the way to go when hiring coaches.  really since sutton was hired back in 1847, we havent hired a proven coach in either sport with the exception of ford have we??  and even he was tainted.

toshortrock

we suck,we;re not going to do anything about losing,
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Triplet Hog

Quote from: Razorback7 on January 29, 2006, 08:53:29 pm
Does anyone know who may be on the short list for the opening for head basketball coach at the end of the year? Its too obvious that Stan cannot coach in the SEC. Please lets admit it and finally find someone who is not a flash in the pan who can do the job. Our biggest mistake was letting Mike Anderson go. I would like to see him back but its highly unlikely. Memphis' head coach would be good for us but who knows. Someone fix the basketball program. I and many others are tired of watching the big lead slip away with poor coaching. That's my two cents.

First of all Mike Anderson is a great guy, but remember he was the lead assistant for Nolan's last recruiting classes.  Lane, Gomez, Satchell, Eddins, and Carl Baker are NOT exactly "hang their number from the rafters" type players.  They were more in the league of Arkansas Tech or UCA.
We would not be able to recruit 7 footers with Anderson.  All other coaches have to say is "Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson", both of whom did not improve a bit between their Freshman and Senior years.  JFB does NOT want Calipari!!!  If Heath goes, we will look at Self, Romar, and possibly Majerus.  Stallings at Vanderbilt would also be someone to look at.  Romar would bring back the high scoring games we enjoyed for most of the Nolan years.  GO HOGS!!

Hawg414

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on January 29, 2006, 09:20:39 pm
Quote from: pfrg999 on January 29, 2006, 09:08:13 pm
Mark Turgeon  Wichita state....
He would be the best candidate.

why?  based on what?? 
and im not arguing against you... im just saying as someone who doesnt know alot about this guy, convince me.  he seems like he would fall under the up-and-comer label which i personally do NOT want.  let him go somewhere else and prove himself first.  UA does not need to be anyone elses guinea pig.

3kgthog

I'd take Mark Few from Gonzaga. I realize their conference is a joke, but they have beaten better teams than Stan Heath ever has or ever will. I could also live with us going down into D1AA and finding a coach that has won some championships. Everyone needs a shot sometime. You think Ohio St. regrets plucking Jim Tressel from Youngstown St.? I doubt it.

Oklahawg

Didn't some of those recruits you mention from Nolan's last class follow Anderson to UAB? I think several of them are doing just fine.

I think if Anderson leaves UAB it would be for Tulsa. I think the bitter taste over not being considered seriously at UA keeps him from ever returning. That, plus his close relationship with Nolan. Not a lot of folks want to see Nolan wander in to BWA anytime soon. I'd turn cartwheels naked in the street, but most don't agree with that.

Few? That's funny. Why would any top tier coach leave that gig for UA?? What makes you think we'd change our ways now, and do what was necessary to hire that type of coach? If they did HDN's ears would start ringing again, because folks would be pushing that much harder for his ouster.

Gillespie is a great choice and A&M is a dead-end hoops gig.

MY distaste with Heath, from day one, has robbed me of any interest in NCAA hoops. I am not qualified to talk other candidates--I no longer follow the mid-majors like I once did, so I don't know the candidates.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tater Salad

Quote from: ENHOG on January 29, 2006, 09:11:53 pm
I wonder if Heath ever gets to talk to his mentor (IZZO) at Michigan State.  That might be something to try Heath? I mean come on let's get things going!!!!!

I heard they don't get along, they don't like each other, something like that. It was a rumor after Heaths elite 8 appearance.

MCPeePants

Quote from: Puerco Diablo on January 29, 2006, 09:10:35 pm1) Get a proven old school coach who for whatever reason is not a head coach somewhere (i.e Bob Huggins, PJ Carlissimo, Larry Eustachy, or Tim Floyd)

Huh?

Tim Floyd is the head coach at USC.

Larry Eustachy is the head coach of Southern Mississippi (who we played earlier this year)

Carlesimo, while not a head coach, is the top assistant for the San Antonio Spurs, which is a pretty good gig. 

Hawg414

Quote from: Tater Salad on January 29, 2006, 09:39:26 pm
Quote from: ENHOG on January 29, 2006, 09:11:53 pm

I heard they don't get along, they don't like each other, something like that. It was a rumor after Heaths elite 8 appearance.

nahh... seems like i remember heath recently saying they still talk at least once a week. 
however often they talk... it aint enuf!

Nutt_Hate_Me

There are so many coaches that are better than Stan that it is hard to really know when to start.  We have the $$$ to go after not only up and comers at mid majors but coaches that are having success at Major conference programs.   There are very few athletic departments in the country that have the money that the Razorback Foundation has so we should not aim low.  Not too many schools could win an all out bidding war with us.  Here are just a few names I came up with.

1.  Bruce Webber, Illinois
2.  Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh, http://pittsburghpanthers.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dixon_jamie00.html
3.  Jay Wright, Villanova http://villanova.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/wright_jay00.html
4.  Rick Pitino,  Yes he is in a great situation but is somewhat of a vagabond and you never know until you ask.
It's great to be home.

tacomahog

I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that Pitino might consider if offered.
Tubby might be awfully tempted to leave Kentucky after this season but I don't really want him.
How bout David Hobbs?

Franchise_Hog

What about Johnny Dawkins from Duke?  He's a class act and knows how to win.  He coaches here for a few years and then takes over for Duke when Coach K leaves.  He also takes care of the "hiring a black coach thing" after the Nolan scenario.  Although, I don't think that should mean anything.

Or Bill Self?  Didn't we have a shot at him before but never sealed the deal.  I'm close friends with a Kansas alumni and he send they just don't really like him that much.  That guy will have that program at the top next year...heck, he built Illinois.

I say pay either of these guys whatever, a cool 1.5 million, whatever.  I just want a winner.

Arkapigdiesel

Rick Pitino and Mark Few would be my top choices.  Luring them here would be the challenge.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

stronguard

I like most of the big name coaches. Especially Webber and Few.  Loved Majerus...WHEN HE WAS 50.  Too old. 

Thing is though that JFB is still the AD.  So we will be getting an up'n'comer.

I have said it before, I will say it again.  Rand Chappel.

I'm an Alum of HSU.  If Rand can win there, he can win anywhere.  He is winning at UCA, turning them into a contender in the GFC, and a decent club just as they prepare to go D1 in hoops.   I know he lacks the national name recognition that some crave so dearly.  But the man wins games.  No matter the talent level or lack thereof, it is a coaches job to place the players in the optimum situation as to maximize the potential of positive production. 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

ZAP743

Mark Few would be my top choice probably, i mean you don't see a lot of mid-majors regularly ranked in the top 15, but I would like the idea of Dawkins from Duke. He is a great coach, and I think he could really help this program!

mizzouman

You guys can have Quin Snyder, we don't want him.

Vanilla Sty

I believe Bobby Knight would love the job.  He's about done with Lubbock.

And all of you would be INSANE not to want him.

Certifiably insane.

Marshfieldhog

How about Butch Davis? Just a thought!!  :)

SAUhogfan

Someone mentioned the West Virginia coach.  That's funny, remember THEY wanted Heath.  I guess we should have took him 4 years ago, because he was their second choice AFTER Heath!

PIGBUZZ

Extra Point

Quote from: Razorback7 on January 29, 2006, 08:53:29 pm
Memphis' head coach would be good for us but who knows.

LOL...now THAT'S funny.

Extra Point

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2006, 09:37:39 pm
I think if Anderson leaves UAB it would be for Tulsa. I think the bitter taste over not being considered seriously at UA keeps him from ever returning.
Judy "jobbed" Mike a LOT worse than Arkansas did.  Imagine not even getting an interview at your alma mater.

It really is interesting to see names like Tark, Calipari and Bob Huggins thrown out.  I mean, what bigger punks who would bring in no one but punks and the NCAA could we list?  LOL.

And then those that want up and comers...haven't you guys had enough?  LOL.

Definitely my favorite threads to read since they are so entertaining.

hogwildinhouston

While very successful, anyone here who would suggest that Mark Few to be our head coach has a short memory.

During the Nolan firing, he basically came out and ripped us; flat out called us a racist school for doing it.  He, for some reason, was one of the most outspoken critics of Arkansas at that time.

Whether you agreed with the firing or not, anyone close to the situation knows that the man wasn't fired due to his race.  It had nothing to do with that.

I would never ever want Mark Few anywhere near BWA.

Soooie21

oldbooniehog

Not many of the names on this list are realistic.

Why do people keep throwing out the names of drunks and coaches who've failed to the point that they now work as TV commentators?

Anyone who thinks Bobby Knight would be our man needs to put down the crack pipe and slowly step away from it.

I'd say get somebody like Billy Donovan at Florida.

It's time for Frank to quit this gambling on "up and comers" and go get an established, quality, proven head coach.

I don't ever want to see another "coach builidng" job at Arkansas.

If you lay out the long green, they will come.

oldbooniehog.

HognotinMemphis

To all of you saying you don't want Calipari to replace Heath, I will tell you that is a moot point...Calipari doesn't want you. He would never come to be the head coach at U of A. He's got way too good a thing going here in Memphis.  I'm not being mean, just stating fact.

By the way, Calipari is a good man. Not sure what makes some of you who don't know much about him think he is a cheater.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: Vanilla Sty on January 29, 2006, 10:30:43 pm
I believe Bobby Knight would love the job.  He's about done with Lubbock.

And all of you would be INSANE not to want him.

Certifiably insane.

I agree 100%. And for the comment about the crack pipe about people who think he'd come here, don't be so sure. He's in Lubbock, Texas right now, they have a decent arena(not as good as UA), they have 0 tradition compared to us, I'm sure we could offer a lot more money, their fan attendance is not what we have. Bobby Knight is not mentioned near that much anymore coaching down there, a move would put him back in the spotlight.

pfrg999

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 29, 2006, 09:26:34 pm
Quote from: BigNasty56187 on January 29, 2006, 09:20:39 pm
Quote from: pfrg999 on January 29, 2006, 09:08:13 pm
Mark Turgeon  Wichita state....
He would be the best candidate.

why?  based on what?? 
and im not arguing against you... im just saying as someone who doesnt know alot about this guy, convince me.  he seems like he would fall under the up-and-comer label which i personally do NOT want.  let him go somewhere else and prove himself first.  UA does not need to be anyone elses guinea pig.

OK Here...
As a coach and a former collegiate player sixth-year Head Coach Mark Turgeon has a lot to offer - a college career with three Final Four rings, a national championship ring, coaching experience in a Final Four, the NBA, and coaching lines that extend all the way to the beginning of the game.

That experience and bloodline has helped him the past six years in securing the most diverse and talented recruiting classes to move into the Shocker family in some time.

That talent has shown itself as Wichita State's back-to-back 20-plus winning seasons, 21 overall wins in 2003-04 and 22 in 2004-05, marked the most since the late 1980s, while back-to-back-to-back postseason NIT appearances in 2003 and 2004 were the first for WSU since the late 1980s.

As WSU's fortunes have increased during Turgeon's time as head coach, so have accolades.

In 2004-05, Mark Turgeon became the first Wichita State head coach to improve the Shockers in the win column four-straight seasons with 15, 18, 21 and 22 wins, while he has moved into fifth on the WSU coaching chart for all-time wins. Just 12 wins away from No. 3 on the list behind Hall of Fame Coach Ralph Miller and Gene Smithson, he is also tied for second-most 20-plus win season in history.
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

TennesseeRaz

Giving Bobby Knight the spotlight is kind of like asking an alcoholic to hold a pint of Crown Royal.  Good things will NOT happen.

mchogfan

To me the choice is obvious...and this guy is more proven than most anyone listed on here.  Rick Barnes at Texas.  He has already made one Final Four and has a good chance at making another.  On a flight this summer from Austin to Dallas, I sat with a reporter from the Austin Statesman, and he felt like Barnes would love the Arkansas job.  There is little to no support for Horn Basketball.  Attendance is paltry, his pay is average and they have average facilities at best.  He could very easily be persuaded to take the job.
California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

pfrg999

I would go with that.... The plus would be to take Texass's Coach....  Karma +1 for you

BentonHog

I wouldn't mind seeing Bob Huggins.  He was great at Cinnci.  In his contract, hire him a personal driver to drive him around so he doesn't get busted for DWI.
"Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."             --Calvin Coolidge

pfrg999

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on January 30, 2006, 08:40:31 am
Giving Bobby Knight the spotlight is kind of like asking an alcoholic to hold a pint of Crown Royal.  Good things will NOT happen.

Man I would rather Keep Heath than have Bobby Knight, or Majerius or Pitino or Calipari

pfrg999

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on January 30, 2006, 08:40:31 am
Hey, maybe he's learned his lesson. Houston Nutt believes in 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances, why not give Bobby Knight the same. He's a great coach and we would win with him here. At this point, I don't care who the hell we get, I want to win. Bottom line.

JusticeHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 29, 2006, 09:29:15 pm
I'd take Mark Few from Gonzaga. I realize their conference is a joke, but they have beaten better teams than Stan Heath ever has or ever will. I could also live with us going down into D1AA and finding a coach that has won some championships. Everyone needs a shot sometime. You think Ohio St. regrets plucking Jim Tressel from Youngstown St.? I doubt it.

There is no such thing as D1AA in basketball.  All schools that play D1AA in football are D1 in everything else.  The AA in D1AA is just a football designation.   But I get what your saying......a midmajor basketball program ....like the UAB's of the world.   It's gonna be tough as long as we have Frank running things.....and if we keep making the prospective coaches jump through hoops with this whole commitee interviewing process you will not see any big names.   That is why Floyd didnt have any interest in the job.   He came and sniffed around if folks recall and then when it was made clear to him that he would have to go through the interview process like he was a first time high school coach he said no dice........   I honestly think it is gonna be a tough sell on any big time coach .....first even if there is no interview commitee there is the medelsome AD that is looking over your shoulder.  Now weather or not Frank medels in the coaches business or not is up for debate....but on the national scene there is the stigma that he does.....and most coaches that we call "big names" dont want to deal with that.....unless we are willing to PILE large amounts of money........real large amounts......
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

chillinhoggie

Anyone but Huggins or Calipari those are the 2 worst choices.... except Heath.    McHogfan- you may be on to something there with Rick Barnes.... even Bobby Knight is starting to sound interesting....

kyhog

Why don't we pluck Larry Eustachy from Southern Miss, and while we're hiring coaches we can get Mike Price from UTEP. ;D

All jokes aside, Eustachy can flat out coach.  He has coached at four different schools and turned three programs around, including Iowa State.  He is just getting started at Southern Miss and he has dismissed some players from the team for not practicing hard enough and having an attitude of accepting defeat.  He faces the challenge of getting his players to believe that they SHOULD win games.  I think Arkansas has a similar problem and it is because our coach accepts losing.

I can highly recommend Eustachy and Price for our program because I don't have any daughters attending SEC schools. ;)

mchogfan

Calipari, Huggins, Knight, Eustachy...can't we just find someone that doesn't have a tarnished past?
California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

pfrg999

Quote from: chillinhoggie on January 30, 2006, 11:36:59 am
Anyone but Huggins or Calipari those are the 2 worst choices.... except Heath.    McHogfan- you may be on to something there with Rick Barnes.... even Bobby Knight is starting to sound interesting....

Yes Barnes... I would Rather cut off my Scrotum with Fingernail clippers that have Knight be the Coach of the Hogs