Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KU

Started by mountainhog, January 19, 2016, 06:55:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhog

Watching them at Oklahoma state.  Does Hunter Mickelson get to play much?  I think he would have played more here, maybe not a starter but one of the first off the bench. 

I wonder if he thinks he made a mistake by transferring?

Mr. Porkleone

Why Kansas no mistake

Tons National TV Time
Playing on National title contender yearly
Proven Championship head coach
Rings for Big 12 championship
NCAA each year
Packed house ever game
A fan base that will not hear "next year" ever year

Why not Arkansas

NCAA long shot every year
No SEC ring in future
Poor crowd attendance
Sub par coach
Few National TV games
We may never be relevant again. 20 years of misery and no sight of change

Kansas so far ahead of us it's not even funny

daprospecta

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 19, 2016, 07:34:09 pm
Why Kansas no mistake

Tons National TV Time
NCAA each year
Packed house ever game

Why not Arkansas

No SEC ring in future
Poor crowd attendance
Sub par coach
Few National TV games

So you'd rather be a bench rider at a contender vs a potential double double player at Arkansas?  If he would have stayed, he would have been a part of the team last year.  That team might have been elite 8 bound with Hunter.

Captain Morgan

Why Kansas no mistake

Tons National TV Time
NCAA each year
Packed house ever game

Why not Arkansas

No SEC ring in future
Poor crowd attendance
Sub par coach
Few National TV games

I have never heard a more accurate post on Jump Ball.  :D

Hogimus Prime

This will be unpopular, but Hunter would've played better with Portis than Kingsley did. Portis and Kingsley didn't mix well together cause MK needs to be on the block to be effective on offense. Portis, even though he could step away from the basket was moat effective around the block to about 15ft away from the basket to either pop a 15footer or drive. Hunter wanted/wants to play away from the basket.  Bobby and Hunter would've made a good big combo.

On defense with the way MA likes to switch on screens there would've been a 6'10" shot blocker protecting the rim.  IMO teams would've have screened as much cause of this.

yraciv

Hunter plays some and has started some games this year for them.  He is adequate, plays solid defense, shoots a good percentage, and blocks a shot every once in awhile.  Doesn't play big minutes because Kansas is always deep in posts and they rotate a lot of them.  Some games it's Mickelson who gets more minutes and some games it is the other.   Whoever has the hot hand.

And no I doubt he regrets it.  Mickelson is what he is and was never going to be a pro or put up big numbers.  He is playing for one of the best programs in the history of basketball.  And for all the reasons listed above, he shouldn't regret it.  Sure he may put up a handful points here and be a slightly bigger contributor, but he wouldn't be playing for championships .  It's why people go to Duke, UNC, when they'd see major minutes at 90% of the schools recruiting them. It is what it is and the truth is he was never a prototypical Anderson player.

mountainhog

Why Kansas no mistake

Tons National TV Time
NCAA each year
Packed house ever game

Why not Arkansas

No SEC ring in future
Poor crowd attendance
Sub par coach
Few National TV games

Personally id rather play for my home state than ride the bench at kansas or duke ect.  But I see your point.  I'm not buying into all the player development im hearing on the talk radio recently.

pigture perfect

He tried the playing for your home state school thing. I hated to see him go, but I undestand his reasons.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

MountieDawg

January 20, 2016, 06:44:56 am #8 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:00:57 am by MountieDawg
Quote from: daprospecta on January 19, 2016, 07:51:03 pm
So you'd rather be a bench rider at a contender vs a potential double double player at Arkansas?  If he would have stayed, he would have been a part of the team last year.  That team might have been elite 8 bound with Hunter.

So you think a guy that dusts the bench at KU would have been a difference maker to get last years team to the Elite 8?  Is he a lot better than Alandis Harris, Qualls or Kingsley?
SEC!

Hollywood_HOGan45

hogwood

Quote from: daprospecta on January 19, 2016, 07:51:03 pm

Real talk.

oldman1015

he started the game Saturday.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

SleepyJ

Who cares outside of northwest Arkansas? he's not very good... And can we at least wait until mike  has 1 losing season before we start calling him sub par... according to you bill self is a proven coach and it took him 3 years to have a winning season... also mike is rebuilding his 3rd program not taking over programs that are already in GREAT condition... This kid only averages 2 points and 2 rebounds a game... If anybody is sub par it's him

JenksHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 20, 2016, 06:53:40 am
Mick was weak!

Thank you - lots of Mickelson love for a player that was terrible.  Home state homerism.

BRHogfan

Season High in Minutes - 17 against Baylor (KU won in a 30+ point blowout)

His three best games of the season

Chaminade - 12 minutes, No rebounds, 11 points, 5-5 shooting
Loyola (MD) - 15 minutes, 3 rebounds, 8 points, 3-5 shooting
Oregon State - 14 minutes, 6 rebounds, 7 points, 3-5 shooting

None of those games were close wins.  He's only cracked ten minutes once this month.

Hunter was probably never going to be a pro player. 

And to be clear, I think he got a fair shake at Arkansas, and regularly played up to 20 minutes on a team where it was him and Marshawn Powell, and that was it.  Towards the end of the season, his production really dropped off, but I think that's just what happens to freshmen in the SEC playing Anderson's style.  We definitely saw it with Beard last season.

I really would've liked to see him stick around at Arkansas, but then again, if you feel like you're banging your head against the wall and not having success, but you can go to this other program, maybe you do.  Maybe it's a similar story to Dusty Hannahs, where Arkansas was initially cool on him but came after him later.  Maybe he would've preferred Kansas from the start.  Who knows. 

John Snow

What is crazy with him at Kansas is the fact that for the longest time after he announced he was transferring the only schools interested were Arkansas state and Ouachita Baptist with rumors of Harding as well.  Arkansas state coach Brady told Hunter  he would have to walk on and not get much playing time  because he played really weak for his postion which led to him leaning toward going to Ouachita Baptist .Then somehow out of nowhere Kansas shows interest in Hunter and he transfer to Kansas at the last minute. 

BigSexyHog

He was told everyday by "hog fans" that he sucked.  Why would anyone want to stay.   Hog fans don't miss him cause most sure didn't like the kid when he was here. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

yraciv

Quote from: John Snow on January 21, 2016, 12:47:24 am
What is crazy with him at Kansas is the fact that for the longest time after he announced he was transferring the only schools interested were Arkansas state and Ouachita Baptist with rumors of Harding as well.  Arkansas state coach Brady told Hunter  he would have to walk on and not get much playing time  because he played really weak for his postion which led to him leaning toward going to Ouachita Baptist .Then somehow out of nowhere Kansas shows interest in Hunter and he transfer to Kansas at the last minute. 

I find this hard to believe about him strongly considering Ouachita before the KU offer. Arkansas State was a middle of the pack Sun Belt team and should have done backflips to get him.  It doesn't make any sense thinking he would come walk on, but I wouldn't ever say John Brady is the brightest guy.  The guy averaged 5.5 pts, 3 reb, and 1 blk a game in the SEC.  Are you telling me there was no D1 interest other than a blueblood coming off the Sweet 16?