Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MA or Dusty Hannah's made a very smart play at the end

Started by MountieDawg, January 18, 2016, 01:59:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

If you were watching on television the announcers on TV said Arkansas is going to get the ball to half court and call time out to set up a play at the end.  Dusty has told the ref 4 times what they are planning so they get the timeout asap.... Obviously Dusty was telling the refs so many times so everyone on LSU heard what they were going to do so they would quit on defense once he reached half court.  Worked to perfection to have Beard wide open for a 3, he just missed the wide open shot. But you have to feel that open shot was mainly because Dusty convinced everyone on LSU that they were calling a time out at half court.

Great plan, just a missed shot...
SEC!

jry04

Also had a good play drawn up to tie the game with the Beard and 1. Ran a two or three screens away from the ball, and got Simmons on Beard. Cleared everyone out away from the basket, and had Moses come up and screen. Simmons expected Beard to use the screen, and gave Beard just enough of the baseline to beat him. Simmons is a great player, but I like our chances to get a buck if we have a 6'10" guarding Beard 20 feet from the basket with nobody under the basket to help on the drive.

I think Anderson deserves credit for backing us out of the press, and limiting the transition opportunities for Simmons, too. In the past, we stayed in the press all game and gave up easy buckets.

Hoggish1

Quote from: jry04 on January 18, 2016, 02:43:50 pm

I think Anderson deserves credit for backing us out of the press, and limiting the transition opportunities for Simmons, too. In the past, we stayed in the press all game and gave up easy buckets.

In the 2nd half we did not get back in time on some transitions and Simmons finally started burning us.  He can't be in the open court with the ball and not everyone back.

Nobody handles that kid in those situations!

swinesation

The play would have been smarter if the ball went to Bell.

Bogghawg

Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: swinesation on January 18, 2016, 03:58:47 pm
The play would have been smarter if the ball went to Bell.

I wasn't at the game and it's hard to follow off ball on TV, however I would strongly suspect LSU ran 2 people at Bell.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 18, 2016, 06:04:42 pm
I wasn't at the game and it's hard to follow off ball on TV, however I would strongly suspect LSU ran 2 people at Bell.
Nope he was spotted up and open.

jchill

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2016, 06:38:13 pm

Yeah, I wondered why he did not take the last shot. I know Beard is capable, but Bell taking the last shot gives the Hogs a greater probability of victory.

jry04

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2016, 06:38:13 pm
Huh? He had a guy directly in front of him. How was he open?

jry04

Anyone saying it would have been smarter to throw it to Bell because he is open are blind, or just hate Anderson that much...

You throw it to Bell and it is stolen, or he doesn't get a shot off.

hawginbigd1

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jry04 on January 18, 2016, 10:13:19 pm
Anyone saying it would have been smarter to throw it to Bell because he is open are blind, or just hate Anderson that much...

You throw it to Bell and it is stolen, or he doesn't get a shot off.
Why would you contend that I hate Anderson because I said Bell was open? Sure you don't need to check with Monk and make sure he is still a hog lock? You have a screw loose dude!

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2016, 10:49:54 pm
Why would you contend that I hate Anderson because I said Bell was open? Sure you don't need to check with Monk and make sure he is still a hog lock? You have a screw loose dude!

2 seemed to be decoying Hannahs to throw the pass, from that still shot. I thought Hannahs did a great job (spin dribble was really nice) however, if he would have made a hard move toward the L in LSU, he may have caused 2 to comitt and leave Bell. A perfect play that was left in Hannahs hands. He had what, 4 seconds to choose. Got a guy an open look and he just missed.

Hate it for this team because this is my favorite MA team to date because of how hard they play and how they all work as one. At the end of the day, will go down as one of his worst, just because of all of the close losses. You are what your record says you are. Sucks.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jry04

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2016, 10:49:54 pm
I said blind or hate Anderson, not both. Many on here hate Anderson so much that they make up reasons to blame him. I have seen a number of people who openly bash Mike cry about our last shot, despite Beard coming into the game shooting 50% from three on the season. Bell was CLEARLY covered. It was easy to see. He was in the frame from the time Hannahs caught it.

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2016, 10:42:32 pm
Need to go a little farther he left Bell!

He left Bell? Yeah, after it was passed to Beard with about 1 second left. You are right, though. Beard should have thrown the ball to Bell and let time expire without ever getting a shot off.

As for the Monk comment, I never said Monk was a lock. I  said the players and coaches thought he was a lock. If what every single report that came out about him wanting to commit is true, then that seems to be even more likely. I know what he told the staff and the players. Unfortunately he played us. Is this the post of someone who was saying Monk was a Hog lock?

Quote from: jry04 on November 11, 2015, 07:58:26 pm
I may be wrong, but I would think if  Monk were going to sign in the early period than we would know no later than about Saturday or Sunday. I am sure he will do it at a ceremony, and will give a few days notice. Hopefully we land him, but I am starting to have the opinion that if we don't sign him in the early period, then he is going to UK.
Clearly didn't give a few days notice, but this was a few days before he announced. I clearly wasn't feeling great about our chances.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: jry04 on January 19, 2016, 07:45:36 am
I said blind or hate Anderson, not both. Many on here hate Anderson so much that they make up reasons to blame him. I have seen a number of people who openly bash Mike cry about our last shot, despite Beard coming into the game shooting 50% from three on the season. Bell was CLEARLY covered. It was easy to see. He was in the frame from the time Hannahs caught it.

Beard has a killer instinct, totally comfortable with him taking a last shot most of the time.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 18, 2016, 11:02:20 pm
2 seemed to be decoying Hannahs to throw the pass, from that still shot. I thought Hannahs did a great job (spin dribble was really nice) however, if he would have made a hard move toward the L in LSU, he may have caused 2 to comitt and leave Bell. A perfect play that was left in Hannahs hands. He had what, 4 seconds to choose. Got a guy an open look and he just missed.

Hate it for this team because this is my favorite MA team to date because of how hard they play and how they all work as one. At the end of the day, will go down as one of his worst, just because of all of the close losses. You are what your record says you are. Sucks.
I concur I love watching this team play!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jry04 on January 19, 2016, 07:45:36 am

He left Bell? Yeah, after it was passed to Beard with about 1 second left. You are right, though. Beard should have thrown the ball to Bell and let time expire without ever getting a shot off.

As for the Monk comment, I never said Monk was a lock. I  said the players and coaches thought he was a lock. If what every single report that came out about him wanting to commit is true, then that seems to be even more likely. I know what he told the staff and the players. Unfortunately he played us. Is this the post of someone who was saying Monk was a Hog lock?

Clearly didn't give a few days notice, but this was a few days before he announced. I clearly wasn't feeling great about our chances.
You could be right I was just watching somewhat as my son had not seen the game yet, and I noticed when the pass went to Beard that bell was open behind the arc! I don't have a problem with beard taking the last but I would prefer bell, he has already hit several money shots already this year.

azhog10

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2016, 10:42:32 pm
Need to go a little farther he left Bell!
He left Bell bc he threw the ball to Beard.....that cross court pass is stolen if he throws it. Beard had a good look. Wished he wouldn't have airballed it, but it was about as good a look as you can draw up.

daprospecta

I am getting concerned about Beard faltering at the end of games.  He's a sophomore now and has had the ball in his hands several times to end games.  At this point, he is either a finisher or not.  I think Lebron James is a top 10 all time player but I wouldn't want him finishing the game for me.

azhog10

Quote from: daprospecta on January 19, 2016, 10:17:22 am
I am getting concerned about Beard faltering at the end of games.  He's a sophomore now and has had the ball in his hands several times to end games.  At this point, he is either a finisher or not.  I think Lebron James is a top 10 all time player but I wouldn't want him finishing the game for me.
To be fair he did make a big time bucket on Simmons just a possession or two before that one. He's not going to make them all, but he's had issues making the big shot, or big free throw in the past. He just has to stick with it.

jry04

Quote from: daprospecta on January 19, 2016, 10:17:22 am
I guess you missed him tie the game by taking the #1 pick to the hole for an and 1? Didn't make the free throw, but without his play we didn't even have a chance at the end.

daprospecta

Quote from: jry04 on January 19, 2016, 11:17:52 am
I guess you missed him tie the game by taking the #1 pick to the hole for an and 1? Didn't make the free throw, but without his play we didn't even have a chance at the end.
Right. That's why I compared his situation to Lebron(not caliber just situation).  Beard is money until he HAS to make a free throw or game winning shot.  I guess if it's still going on next year, it would be time to truly worry.

jry04

Quote from: daprospecta on January 19, 2016, 11:40:34 am
Right. That's why I compared his situation to Lebron(not caliber just situation).  Beard is money until he HAS to make a free throw or game winning shot.  I guess if it's still going on next year, it would be time to truly worry.
My point is, his layup on Simmons was a situation where he HAD to make the shot. We were down 2 inside 50 seconds. That is most definitely a clutch situation. If he misses that, then we are probably playing the next possession down 2 scores. There was only another clutch situation because he made the first clutch shot. I personally love that he is a sophomore willing to take the big shot. I don't think he will have to be the one taking it next season, but I think he will definitely be even better next season.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jry04 on January 19, 2016, 12:21:00 pm
My point is, his layup on Simmons was a situation where he HAD to make the shot. We were down 2 inside 50 seconds. That is most definitely a clutch situation. If he misses that, then we are probably playing the next possession down 2 scores. There was only another clutch situation because he made the first clutch shot. I personally love that he is a sophomore willing to take the big shot. I don't think he will have to be the one taking it next season, but I think he will definitely be even better next season.
My biggest problem with beard is he is shooting probably 25% from the line during money time the 2 seasons he has been here. But then he has the big 3 against somebody last year can't remember, big shot at Dayton, and then the take on Simmons and you see the situation is not bigger than him all the time. Inconsistent, but I don't believe he is a folder. That airball was squeezed pretty tight though, so definitely an area where he needs to improve.

wheelspigharvey

Is Beard Hogville's new Madden?  Not clutch enough?

I would rather Dusty shot it from 30 than Beard from 22, but can't blame him for passing to the open guy.

moses_007

The game was lost the last minute when Beard fouled an LSU player making an easy breakaway layup.  The free throw was missed, but Simmons rebounded the miss and made an old fashioned three point play.  That was a 5 point trip for LSU.  Beard should have just given up the layup.  If we'd only been down two at that point, we would have won the game.

jry04

Quote from: Karma on January 19, 2016, 01:25:27 pm
I would rather Dusty shot it from 30 than Beard from 22, but can't blame him for passing to the open guy.
Me too. I take my chances with a shot that Hannahs can hit maybe 10% of the time, over one that Beard was hitting 50% of the time coming in to this game. Seems like a no brainer, right?

jry04

Quote from: moses_007 on January 19, 2016, 02:05:02 pm
The game was lost the last minute when Beard fouled an LSU player making an easy breakaway layup.  The free throw was missed, but Simmons rebounded the miss and made an old fashioned three point play.  That was a 5 point trip for LSU.  Beard should have just given up the layup.  If we'd only been down two at that point, we would have won the game.
Yes, but you fail to mention that Simmons committed one of the most blatant line violations I have ever seen, that even the NBA would have called, in order to get that rebound. Stupid foul by Beard, but the 3 points from Simmons would have never happened if the officials were doing their jobs.

Quote from: jry04 on January 19, 2016, 02:18:35 pm
Me too. I take my chances with a shot that Hannahs can hit maybe 10% of the time, over one that Beard was hitting 50% of the time coming in to this game. Seems like a no brainer, right?
If you believe Dusty hits that 10% of the time, you haven't watched many games this year.  And if you think Beard hits a buzzer beater 50% of the time, you haven't watched many games the last two years.

jry04

Here is the Simmons rebound in question. He steps into the lane before the ball has even left Blakeney's hand. He was blocking Moses out under the basket well before it was even near the rim. Of course, the announcers said he just caught Moses sleeping.

jry04

Quote from: Karma on January 19, 2016, 02:32:51 pm
If you believe Dusty hits that 10% of the time, you haven't watched many games this year.  And if you think Beard hits a buzzer beater 50% of the time, you haven't watched many games the last two years.
How many times have you seen Dusty hit a half court shot at the buzzer? I have seen 0. I was saying Beard was shooting 50% from three entering the game. Don't have to watch the game to know his stats. A wide open 3 as opposed to a half court shot is better 100% of the time with those two involved. But, of course, it was horrible to have a wide open Beard shoot. What were they thinking!

Quote from: jry04 on January 19, 2016, 02:35:41 pm
How many times have you seen Dusty hit a half court shot at the buzzer? I have seen 0. I was saying Beard was shooting 50% from three entering the game. Don't have to watch the game to know his stats. A wide open 3 as opposed to a half court shot is better 100% of the time with those two involved. But, of course, it was horrible to have a wide open Beard shoot. What were they thinking!
Dusty could have had about a 30 footer, and Beard shot an airball. So that worked out well for you.

jry04

Quote from: Karma on January 19, 2016, 03:10:47 pm
Dusty could have had about a 30 footer, and Beard shot an airball. So that worked out well for you.
You know that is 6'10" Ben Simmons standing in front of Dusty, right? Dusty would have been blocked or dribbled out the clock trying to get around Simmons had he kept it. A 30 footer would have been right in front of the "L" of the LSU logo. Look who is standing right in that spot. Looks like it definitely would have been open, right?

We lost. It is unfortunate. However, based on what happened when Dusty got the ball, the best play was to pass it and Beard shoot it. It didn't work, but it was still our best chance at winning after Dusty caught it at half court.

swinesation

Quote from: jry04 on January 19, 2016, 02:34:03 pm

Here is the Simmons rebound in question. He steps into the lane before the ball has even left Blakeney's hand. He was blocking Moses out under the basket well before it was even near the rim. Of course, the announcers said he just caught Moses sleeping.

Whoa, that's messed up!