Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Change to Draft Eligibility Rules

Started by Adam Stokes, January 13, 2016, 06:35:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

Players can now remove their names from the NBA multiple times instead of just once.  They also will be allowed to attend the NBA draft combine and workout for teams before deciding whether they will enter the draft.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14564613/date-nba-draft-commitment-pushed-may

ADavisTheGOAT

Still no change to the one and done. Lovely.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogfan991 on January 13, 2016, 06:34:46 pm

That's an NBA rule. These were NCAA rule changes.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 13, 2016, 07:09:20 pm
That's an NBA rule. These were NCAA rule changes.
The NCAA could have reached out to the NBA.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

FaytownHog

I'd love to see the baseball rule in play. Go pro right away or stay 3 minimum. 1 and done is a joke.

Danny J

Quote from: Hogfan991 on January 13, 2016, 07:46:37 pm
won't happen...NBA currently benefits greatly from the status quo. Instead of gambling on guys straight out of HS  they get to see them one year in college and how they do against better competition

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Danny J on January 13, 2016, 09:03:00 pm
won't happen...NBA currently benefits greatly from the status quo. Instead of gambling on guys straight out of HS  they get to see them one year in college and how they do against better competition
Yes, that's one good reason. Also, these guys now have name value as they enter the NBA. Fans knew of the occasional Lebron, Kobe, Garnett out of HS, but others mired in relative obscurity and thus didn't help much with tickets, jerseys, etc for quite awhile (if they ever became something at all).

Nipsey Mussle

If they made it two and done, I bet we'd see a good sized increase in the number of HS players who go overseas until the draft.

hawginbigd1

So just think about this, this summer we could be trying to find Moses replacement! 8 to 10 weeks before school starts! Can't sign someone before then he might come back, or you have to always have an extra schollie in your pocket, in case someone decides to come back!

I can't help but believe this is going to be a big s41t sandwich for a bunch of teams!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogfan991 on January 13, 2016, 07:46:37 pm

And the NBA wouldn't be able to do anything until the next negotiated CBA. Next?

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 13, 2016, 11:16:09 pm
Yes, that's one good reason. Also, these guys now have name value as they enter the NBA. Fans knew of the occasional Lebron, Kobe, Garnett out of HS, but others mired in relative obscurity and thus didn't help much with tickets, jerseys, etc for quite awhile (if they ever became something at all).

But how many of these kids that you talked about being mired in relative obscurity were drafted high or even touted to be something in the first place? Most of the kids that went pro out of HS had nice careers and made good money. But the standard for success shouldn't be All-Time status. I think the mindset during that time was that if the player is good enough to not go to college, then they must be really an elite NBA prospect or else they are a failure when the reality is that a lot of 4 year college players fail and, during that era, less of them even got their degrees.

You talk about ticket and jersey sales. So, that has to be just the lottery picks, right? Garnett in '95, Kobe in '96, McGrady in '97, Bender in '99, Miles in '00, Kwane/Chandler/Curry in '01, Amare in '02, LeBron in '03, Howard/Livingston/Swift in '04, and Webster in '05. Those are the HS lottery picks, thus the only players that would be realistically expected to drive up ticket and merchandise sales and increase fan interest. Obvious busts by the above standards are Bender, Swift, Webster, and Livingston. Bender and Livingston had some pretty serious injury problems and we know that Livingston at least probably could have really been something if not for his very bad injury since he's still in the NBA and a productive player. Even guys like Kwame and Miles, that most would consider busts, were very popular early on in their careers (especially Miles, dude got movie roles).

Anyone would drafted outside of the lottery should be held to a different standard than being a household name, IMO. College players are afforded that standard.

Here's a good read on the subject in case anyone wants some perspective on just how well the HS kids fared in the NBA.

http://www.trendingtoplists.com/ranking-all-41-nba-players-who-went-pro-straight-out-of-high-school

Hoggish1

Quote from: FaytownHog on January 13, 2016, 08:43:57 pm
I'd love to see the baseball rule in play. Go pro right away or stay 3 minimum. 1 and done is a joke.

Spot on.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 14, 2016, 08:16:03 am
And the NBA wouldn't be able to do anything until the next negotiated CBA. Next?
And I can imagine that some of the more seasoned Vets would prefer to keep it or even make it longer. If you start letting in HS guys there's only so many roster spots so something has to give.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on January 14, 2016, 10:01:35 am
And I can imagine that some of the more seasoned Vets would prefer to keep it or even make it longer. If you start letting in HS guys there's only so many roster spots so something has to give.

Makes sense. Always thought it was weird that the NBAPA fought the age limit. They already made it. Only benefits them to keep kids out longer. I still think they'll eventually agree on a two-year age limit, and that should hopefully be enough of a compromise to satisfy everyone.

GuvHog

Quote from: FaytownHog on January 13, 2016, 08:43:57 pm

I'd prefer a rule giving them a choice: Play 3 years of D League ball and then become NBA Draft eligible or go to college and become NBA Draft eligible after their Junior season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogs-n-Roses

Letsroll1200

I think this is a great rule for the players. This gives players time to go to the combine and receive the best information to make a informed decision.