Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This year's schedule is weird.

Started by Kamkaizen, January 13, 2016, 09:25:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamkaizen

Is the basketball scheduling done randomly?  How is it determined which teams will be played once vs. twice in the regular season?  How is the location of the games determined?  I was under the impression that if we played a team on the road the previous year, and we only play them once this year, this year's game would be a home game for us.  Not so.  We played at Florida last year and again this year, despite the fact that we only play them once.  Also, I have never seen a non-conference game on the schedule after conference play has started.  This year's schedule just seems weird to me, on many levels.  Anyone know how it is determined?

ChicoHog

I have no idea either.  It was much easier to determine with 2 divisions. Played home and home against your division and one game against the other rotating home and home each year.  Does anyone know how the Big 10 and ACC do their schedules? 

intelligence

Quote from: Kamkaizen on January 13, 2016, 09:25:05 am
Is the basketball scheduling done randomly?  How is it determined which teams will be played once vs. twice in the regular season?  How is the location of the games determined?  I was under the impression that if we played a team on the road the previous year, and we only play them once this year, this year's game would be a home game for us.  Not so.  We played at Florida last year and again this year, despite the fact that we only play them once.  Also, I have never seen a non-conference game on the schedule after conference play has started.  This year's schedule just seems weird to me, on many levels.  Anyone know how it is determined?

Florida has $EC protection from playing road games @ Arkansas. last time they played at Arkansas they were nationally ranked and we stomped the dog stuff out of those weaklings. When it comes to Florida vs Arkansas, we've been consistently slighted by the league in the major sports. This scheduling oddness is just a continuation of that trend.

Mick Hogger

It's not random. This is why we play KY at home one year, then away, then a home and home every 3rd year.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/sec_announces_schedules_tourna.html

In a press release, the SEC announced that beginning with the 2012-2013 academic year, the league's 14 members will play an 18-game schedule that features at least one game against each conference opponent.  Teams will play one permanent  rival, four rotating opponents that will played home-and-home each season and eight teams that will be played once each year (four at home and four on the road). Each school will play its permanent rival home and away each season.

The permanent rivals will be Alabama-Auburn, Arkansas-Missouri, Florida-Kentucky, Georgia-South Carolina, LSU-Texas A&M, Ole Miss-Mississippi State, and Tennessee-Vanderbilt.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Kamkaizen

Quote from: Mick Hogger on January 13, 2016, 07:35:08 pm
It's not random. This is why we play KY at home one year, then away, then a home and home every 3rd year.

In a press release, the SEC announced that beginning with the 2012-2013 academic year, the league's 14 members will play an 18-game schedule that features at least one game against each conference opponent.  Teams will play one permanent  rival, four rotating opponents that will played home-and-home each season and eight teams that will be played once each year (four at home and four on the road). Each school will play its permanent rival home and away each season.

The permanent rivals will be Alabama-Auburn, Arkansas-Missouri, Florida-Kentucky, Georgia-South Carolina, LSU-Texas A&M, Ole Miss-Mississippi State, and Tennessee-Vanderbilt.

Yes, I know about that aspect of the schedule, but this still doesn't explain the reason for playing Florida on the road two years in a row.  I haven't seen anything that explains that.  Have you?

MountieDawg

Quote from: Mick Hogger on January 13, 2016, 07:35:08 pm

If its home one year, away the next year and home the next year, I am pretty sure that is the home game every 2nd YEAR
SEC!

Kamkaizen

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 14, 2016, 07:23:39 am
If its home one year, away the next year and home the next year, I am pretty sure that is the home game every 2nd YEAR

???  I don't understand.  Are you saying the 8 teams we play once per year will be played in the following manner:  Away, Away, Home, Home?  That hasn't been the case with the other teams on our schedule.

DeltaBoy

I just stopped trying to figure that type of stuff out. It makes my brain hurt.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Kamkaizen on January 14, 2016, 07:08:56 am
Yes, I know about that aspect of the schedule, but this still doesn't explain the reason for playing Florida on the road two years in a row.  I haven't seen anything that explains that.  Have you?

Well Vanderbilt had to come here for the second straight year.  I think this year they added two more permanent "rivals" so Arkansas will be playing Missouri, A&M, and LSU home-and-home every year.  Probably why Arkansas goes to UF two years in a row and Vandy came here again.  Start of a new schedule rotation.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Kamkaizen on January 14, 2016, 07:34:24 am
???  I don't understand.  Are you saying the 8 teams we play once per year will be played in the following manner:  Away, Away, Home, Home?  That hasn't been the case with the other teams on our schedule.

Its every other year which is every 2 years....   Simple math
SEC!

BadHog

It's more convoluted than a congressional bill.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."