Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doobie Jenkins

Started by lookawayquick, January 12, 2016, 10:47:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lookawayquick

Correct me if my recall is off, Doobie played in a game earlier in the year.  Burned his redshirt.  If my memory is correct, why didn't Doobie play tonight?  What is CMA's thinking about the young frosh?  Perfect game to get him some PT.  Loved the game tonight!  Great effort!  WPS!

hawginbigd1

Our 2nd group played a lot for good reason, they are not very good right now, and I am guessing CMA wants to give them every opportunity to get better! Jenkins and the Walk on players are practice squad. Just my opinion!

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 12, 2016, 10:51:08 pm
Our 2nd group played a lot for good reason, they are not very good right now, and I am guessing CMA wants to give them every opportunity to get better! Jenkins and the Walk on players are practice squad. Just my opinion!

This is probably the truth at this point. I think Anderson wanted them to finish strong and not let Missouri make any kind of run to cut into the lead created. The second unit was playing hard and looked like they were happy to be out there and do their part. Jenkins and other walk-on are guys you trot out there at home in the non-con versus low-major teams that you've blown out. Not going to see those two in conference action even in blowouts.

But, with that said, why not just redshirt Jenkins if he's not going to play real minutes? He's on track, barring injury, to play less than Trey Thompson did last year. Trey played 33 minutes last year. I don't see Jenkins getting to that total without someone getting hurt and missing some real time. It's hard for me to see Jenkins sticking around for 3 more years at this rate. I see all 3 of the new forwards we'll have next year as better players than him. 

hogsanity

Jenkins was a stop gap last minute desperation grab at the end of a horrible off season. It was one of those " hey he has some of the physical characteristics we like, if all we get out of his is a good practice player, it is worth it ".

And, from his stand point, he gets a scholarship to a P5 school instead of languishing away at Kenesaw(sp?) St.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2016, 08:07:55 am
Jenkins was a stop gap last minute desperation grab at the end of a horrible off season. It was one of those " hey he has some of the physical characteristics we like, if all we get out of his is a good practice player, it is worth it ".

And, from his stand point, he gets a scholarship to a P5 school instead of languishing away at Kenesaw(sp?) St.

I suspect he'll end up at Kennesaw St. type school, though.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 13, 2016, 08:09:53 am
I suspect he'll end up at Kennesaw St. type school, though.

He very well might, and if he does, was anything really lost by anyone?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogimus Prime

I don't think the kid will ever see meaningful minutes at Arkansas.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2016, 08:30:44 am
He very well might, and if he does, was anything really lost by anyone?

He will have most likely lost two years of his career that he could have actually played. The Razorbacks will not have lost anything.

hawginbigd1

Whoa! wait a minute I like this kid lets not start sending him off to Kennesaw or Harding just yet, I agree he should Redshirt! Love his length, athleticism and shot! as a junior or senior I could see him being a guy that gives 15 minutes a game and scores 6-7 points a game.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 13, 2016, 10:33:02 am
Whoa! wait a minute I like this kid lets not start sending him off to Kennesaw or Harding just yet, I agree he should Redshirt! Love his length, athleticism and shot! as a junior or senior I could see him being a guy that gives 15 minutes a game and scores 6-7 points a game.

He has to make it to his junior season first. Most kids will transfer out if that haven't played their first two seasons. We saw it with Wagner and Babb. A lot will depend on what happens after his sophomore season.

Also, no one is "sending him off." I'm addressing this from his possible perspective. Kids want to play.

Also, just curious, but what is it about his athleticism that you love? All the footage I've seen shows a guy that looks under-athletic for this system. He looked to be more of a skill guy to me.

maxhog5

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 13, 2016, 10:33:02 am

He can't redshirt.  It has already been burned.  I've never seen anything like this.  On the surface, it looks like Anderson is trying to run him off, but I would say there is something going on that we have no idea of.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 13, 2016, 10:38:36 am
He has to make it to his junior season first. Most kids will transfer out if that haven't played their first two seasons. We saw it with Wagner and Babb. A lot will depend on what happens after his sophomore season.

Also, no one is "sending him off." I'm addressing this from his possible perspective. Kids want to play.

Also, just curious, but what is it about his athleticism that you love? All the footage I've seen shows a guy that looks under-athletic for this system. He looked to be more of a skill guy to me.
I certainly don't see a qualls but I thought he moved well, I could see him playing Miles/Thompson's role but only more athletic, and able to be a perimeter threat at the same time.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 13, 2016, 11:22:48 am
I certainly don't see a qualls but I thought he moved well, I could see him playing Miles/Thompson's role but only more athletic, and able to be a perimeter threat at the same time.

I think he's actually less athletic than Miles is.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 13, 2016, 08:41:40 am
He will have most likely lost two years of his career that he could have actually played. The Razorbacks will not have lost anything.
I think it was a hopeful grab. But I also think they didn't want to redshirt him due to the numbers in the next class possibly? I have to wait and see how the numbers work out. He could end up redshirting next year when we have a little more depth? Or he could get Mono....who knows.

orgkeith

The kid is redshirting this year the last I heard.  Rules are apparently different in basketball.  If he doesn't play in a certain percentage of the games he can still be redshirted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: orgkeith on January 13, 2016, 01:42:51 pm
The kid is redshirting this year the last I heard.  Rules are apparently different in basketball.  If he doesn't play in a certain percentage of the games he can still be redshirted.

The rules are not different. You have to have a medical reason for why the player missed that certain percentage despite playing some percentage.

mbgrulz

I'm guessing he'll be gone before he's a junior. He's a SF who can't get on the floor on a team with no SF's.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 13, 2016, 01:45:02 pm
The rules are not different. You have to have a medical reason for why the player missed that certain percentage despite playing some percentage.
I think he has mono...

Swinesong1

In the midst of a three game win streak and the usual suspects pull another one out of their rears.

HoopS

He is young and would be better served learning the system and putting on some muscle before playing. If he is indeed red shirting then that's exactly what I hoped for. Any projections on his future PT is based on a limited sample size of a younger player. MA likes him and thinks he can develop him and he's proven again and again he can develop so I will just sit back and watch.

wheelspigharvey

Just a thought, maybe Anderson finds that having them compete for playing time motivates them even if they lose that competition, or that red-shirting de-motivates them in some way. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 13, 2016, 05:46:01 pm
I think he has mono...

So glad Tyler Wilson had mono. Without that I'm not sure JLS would have won a game that season

Hawg Red

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 14, 2016, 01:50:01 pm
Just a thought, maybe Anderson finds that having them compete for playing time motivates them even if they lose that competition, or that red-shirting de-motivates them in some way.

Whatever the reason, whatever anyone's opinion on redshirting is, Coach Anderson clearly doesn't believe in it. A lot of coaches don't. Probably for the reasons you just mentioned among other variables.

Biggus Piggus

Jenkins might not be playing to keep him possibly eligible for a hardship waiver at the end of his college days. He cannot redshirt now. But he also might not be playing because he's not ready, which is more likely to me.

Dee Wagner came in, played in the opener, DNP-CD the next six games, played a handful of minutes in seven more games. Then transferred to Angelo State. Could be something like that.
[CENSORED]!