Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only reason we won was because we put the ball in the basket at a very high rate

Started by Hollywood_HOGan45, January 12, 2016, 10:07:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

....but other than that this team needs a new coach and the basketball program needs brand new blood.

Im so sick of just squeaking by with these random nights where we put the the round ball inside the basket. We are a complete train wreck and just don't run any kind of offense (SEC leader in assists) and NEVER develop any big men (Moses) or any JUCO players (Jabril).

We need a change terribly bad.

We beat a team by over 30 points on the road for the first time since the 90s but anyone can see this basketball program has major warts that were hidden by a team that just couldn't stop putting the ball in the basket.

On to the next road game where we usually get drilled.

Oh yea it was a good thing we were playing against a terrible team that can't win in the SEC (Mizzou beat Auburn by 15 the previous game).

WOO PIG!!

Biggus Piggus

The really impressive thing tonight was that Missouri made a run early in the second half -- THEN the Hogs destroyed them. Responded to adversity and out-executed an SEC team on the road. Made the Tigers look soft and young.
[CENSORED]!

Iamjacksleftnutt

It really sucks NOT having a good coach. I wish he could recruit some talent. Whitt isn't any good. Man did we think he would be though. With a real coach he would be averaging 30 ppg by now !!! Anderson is just in over his head. No set plays. Just nothing but street ball. These kids deserve better and so do the fans !!!

I want to see 50 passes before the ball is shot. Giving this players the confidence to shoot when they are open is ridiculous !!! Bring back Sutton !!!

About in line with the OP ? Some fans don't know crap about basketball.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2016, 10:26:02 pm
The really impressive thing tonight was that Missouri made a run early in the second half -- THEN the Hogs destroyed them. Responded to adversity and out-executed an SEC team on the road. Made the Tigers look soft and young.

This win was extremely impressive considering we were so fortunate to win there last year with Portis/Qualls/ Madden/ Harris.

A very key game in determining if we go to any tournament is Texas Tech. That is a chance to earn a fairly impressive non-SEC victory.

intelligence

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 12, 2016, 10:31:09 pm
This win was extremely impressive considering we were so fortunate to win there last year with Portis/Qualls/ Madden/ Harris.

A very key game in determining if we go to any tournament is Texas Tech. That is a chance to earn a fairly impressive non-SEC victory.

Rick Shaffer would be proud.

ICEman

The pharmacy has a mouth salve that will help you remove your tongue that seems to be implanted into your cheek.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Soooie21

I believe all team's win by putting the ball in the hole...It have been proven time and time again, thru out history and will continue to be so..

HoopS

Quote from: intelligence on January 12, 2016, 10:35:48 pm
Rick Shaffer would be proud.
you know.  Maybe that was a homer statement but it is more accurate than the ones who thought we would lose last night. Never was a game. Some thought for sure we would lose though.

lefty08

Quote from: HoopS on January 13, 2016, 06:16:33 am
you know.  Maybe that was a homer statement but it is more accurate than the ones who thought we would lose last night. Never was a game. Some thought for sure we would lose though.

I'm still trying to figure out what's so bad about being a homer?

Schaeffer and Bazzel take grief on here, while Matt Jones admits he can't watch the Hogs unless they are good, and he gets worshipped.

Kind of weird on a fan site. Shouldn't we all lean a Lil to the homer side?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HoopS

Nothing wrong at all IMO. Life is short. To me, why not try to enjoy the good things when they happen.

This team is a fun team to watch. No doubt we've had more talented ones but this one brings some intangibles that I enjoy. And a lot of them will be back next season and joined by some pretty talented players.

But I really can't speak on what drives some people. They will just have to live miserably if that's their choice.

The_Iceman

PonderinHog

wheelspigharvey

After the MSU game, Hannahs was talking about how MA had been drilling them on the idea that when the other team makes runs late, that's "winning time" for us where we need to lock down and close it out.  I felt like winning time started early in the second half around that 16 minute mark, those last 10 were just us running out the clock.  Good times.

gmarv

I have really enjoyed watching this team,and will continue to do so win or lose.starting to think the floor for this team is 10 wins in the conference.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2016, 06:26:37 am
We are 9-7.

Really? I had no clue what our record was.

Arkansas is 9-7 but playing much better basketball than earlier. Much like the football team and the baseball team last year.

We may not be very good but this team is really fun to watch. Am I an Arkansas basketball homer? Heck yes I am. I grew up with it.
Watching this team play above their heads has been a treat. It may all come to a screetching halt next week but right now its fun to actually enjoy a 33 point road beatdown of the team I hate the most.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HoopS on January 13, 2016, 06:25:34 am

But I really can't speak on what drives some people. They will just have to live miserably if that's their choice.

Agendas

jry04

Last three games they've shown their toughness. Blew the big lead against MSU when they closed to within 3. Responded with a 12-0 run in 93 seconds.

Gave up that big basket at the end of regulation against Vandy, and then Vandy went up 3 in OT. We responded by winning the game.

TrueBlue

After watching the game for the second time, I am convinced that the only reason we won this game is that we scored more points than Mizzou. I could be wrong though - I am better at analyzing football.

razorhead94

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2016, 06:26:37 am
We are 9-7.

And are finally figuring out the correct player rotations/minutes and leaders of this team.  That is a huge turning point for growth.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

DeltaBoy

33 point win is a whipping and I watched the whole 2nd half on the SEC Network.  We played solid D and made shots near and far.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

k.c.hawg

As bad as this team looked early on, they could have all started free lancing and making it about them. If you had told me after the Mercer game that we would beat Vandy, MSU and Mizzou on the road I would have laughed. They are fixing to be over  matched in 3 of their next 4 and to be honest I would take 1-3 right now. I do appreciate how this team has stuck together, is running offense and playing hard. I've really enjoyed these last 3 games, very fun to watch.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hollywood_HOGan45

Rawker

Almost the worst, most infinitely frustrating thing you can do - perhaps on the planet - is bring satire to this board.  I've done it....and then I realize that I'm out on the road driving on the same streets as the people who respond with a complete ignorance to my point.  I personally applaud you, but I would advise against it if you want to keep your sanity.

MountieDawg

I thought Bud Walton was empty until I saw the game in Missouri.... Looked like a Junior College game crowd last nite.
SEC!

WMHawgfan

We were lights out the whole game. Best we have looked all year. Hopefully we continue to build on these performances.

Having said that I can't help but feel bad for UM's Anderson. I know he inherited a dumpster fire from Haith but man he has just been killed by dismissals, transfers and dumb early entree's in the draft. I didn't realize until last night that the one guy he had last year to build around (Williams III) transferred to Gonzaga. He had a pretty good recruiting class 3 4 star players but you could see they made a ton of freshmen mistakes. Not sure how patient they will be with him but if they give it time to stabilize I think he can have a pretty good program there.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Rawker on January 13, 2016, 10:03:56 am
Almost the worst, most infinitely frustrating thing you can do - perhaps on the planet - is bring satire to this board.  I've done it....and then I realize that I'm out on the road driving on the same streets as the people who respond with a complete ignorance to my point.  I personally applaud you, but I would advise against it if you want to keep your sanity.

+1 if I could.

rmcchris

We will have more ups and downs this year.  A lot of the negative people need to read more and listen more to the people on the board that know and follow the team & games (not me).  We are a few men short and need to recruit better but the effort is there.  Let's support our university and the young men that wear the Arkansas uniform, both during the ups and the downs.

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 13, 2016, 07:27:31 am
I'm still in a state of semi-shock.   :o
yeah...me too. We went up there with swagger and absolutely dominated. Our biggest road win by margin ever in sec play.

VirginiaHog

The_Iceman

Wow, reading some responses it has become so apparent at how low our standards have dropped.

Razorpigg

azhog10

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2016, 11:54:24 am
Wow, reading some responses it has become so apparent at how low our standards have dropped.

How long were you asleep?
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hollywood_HOGan45

How long has it been since 1996?

I hate to break it to you but we aren't that program any longer.

wheelspigharvey

So we should not be happy being 3-1 in the conference?  "Work in progress" is not ALWAYS code for "we gave up before the season started."

Paul

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 12, 2016, 10:31:09 pm

I think this team is playing better team ball with better fundamentals than last year's team or any since MA got here.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Paul on January 13, 2016, 03:12:33 pm
  I think this team is playing better team ball with better fundamentals than last year's team or any since MA got here.

This is true.

A HUGE part of that is Jabril Durham.

GuvHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 13, 2016, 02:53:34 pm
So we should not be happy being 3-1 in the conference?  "Work in progress" is not ALWAYS code for "we gave up before the season started."

It's a 2 fold thing:

I'm ecstatic about the 3-1 conference record.

I'm not happy at all with the poor Non conference record.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

azhog10

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 03:31:21 pm
It's a 2 fold thing:

I dont' think anyone is. However, this is a players game. We get upset about the recruiting, however this team has found a way to beat a very "supposed to be talented" Vandy team, an MSU team who had a top recruiting class, and Mizzou in a blowout on the road. So this team had the players to win a number of those OOC games we lost, but the "talent" or "personnel" didn't play like it. Right now they are playing like it and we are winning.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 12, 2016, 10:07:13 pm
....but other than that this team needs a new coach and the basketball program needs brand new blood.

Im so sick of just squeaking by with these random nights where we put the the round ball inside the basket. We are a complete train wreck and just don't run any kind of offense (SEC leader in assists) and NEVER develop any big men (Moses) or any JUCO players (Jabril).

We beat a team by over 30 points on the road for the first time since the 90s but anyone can see this basketball program has major warts that were hidden by a team that just couldn't stop putting the ball in the basket.

Oh yea it was a good thing we were playing against a terrible team that can't win in the SEC (Mizzou beat Auburn by 15 the previous game).

WOO PIG!!
I see what youre doing here......I think

PP

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 03:31:21 pm
It's a 2 fold thing:

Mirror image of the football team. Hopefully basketball can finish as strong as Bielema's crew.

We had a horrific off season. We were not prepared for the personnel losses. There's no doubt about that. Right now I see a team playing with absolute fire. The ball movement on offense is crisp, the rebounding is solid, and the defense isn't awful either.

Still a ton of ground to make up but I am going to choose to continue to stay glued to this improving basketball team.

farmhawg

WOO PIG!!
Wow.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ArkieBrat

WOO PIG!!

You are such a clever son of a gun!  Reading through your post gave me a dose of hearty chuckles.  I thank you for your entertaining, tongue in cheek post.

Yep, those pesky round balls just kept going in the basket!  Whatever was CMA thinking?!?  LOL

My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.