Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will you get behind this team?

Started by Letsroll1200, January 12, 2016, 09:40:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominicanhog

Quote from: jry04 on January 13, 2016, 08:14:20 am
We would likely be a lock for the NIT. What you just said happening would put us at 12-6 in the SEC, plus a win over top 40 RPI Texas Tech. We would be 19-12, with a top 60 RPI and a SOS around 40.

Our Current RPI is 95, and our current SOS is 32. Going 19-12 would put us as one of those teams on the bubble, with a chance to play our way into the NCAAT during the conference tournament. Possible, but not likely.

I think we need to win 18 to make the NIT. That would put our RPI in the 70 range, and may be enough to get us in. 19 would make us a lock, in my opinion. Right now we are projected to finish 17-14 with a RPI of 88, and SOS of 42 according to RPI Forecast.

that's right on target.... takes 12-6 sec, at least 1 win in sect and TT.. for NCAA ticket..  10-8, 1 sect win, and loss to TT is minimum for NIT....

jry04

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 13, 2016, 08:29:37 am
We can all see now that Moses is Bobby's heir, even though their games are a little different.

Also easy to forget that the 4 we needed got himself kicked off the team.
Exactly, but  I am sure someone will come back with how it was Mike's fault that a 21 year old didn't know he couldn't punch bouncers and spend fake money.

Had Beard never been suspended and Jacorey not been kicked off, we would likely be sitting at 11-5 right now and on the bubble for the NCAAT. It didn't happen that way, but hopefully we can still salvage a NIT season with what we have.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2016, 09:40:43 pm
This team continues to get better every time they step on the floor. People focus on what this team don't have instead of focusing on what they do have.

This team is coachable and are unselfish on both ends of the court. I think we have the right Anderson on the sidelines coaching this squad. Get behind this team because they are playing winning basketball.

I'm pleasantly surprised, and I think we'll make the NIT, which IMO is not a bad deal considering our losses from last year.

But why do you have to pump Mike every single time you post??  He's our coach -- get over it.  Please.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hoghappy

A little criticism doesn't mean lack of support. I Haven't seen anyone in this thread who has said they have stopped pulling for this team. Some of you are too sensitive.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 13, 2016, 08:45:25 am
that's right on target.... takes 12-6 sec, at least 1 win in sect and TT.. for NCAA ticket..  10-8, 1 sect win, and loss to TT is minimum for NIT....

I disagree. Both of you are ignoring the fact that the Hogs non conference record will really hurt them come tournament selection time. IMHO the Hogs will have to win a HUGE number of conference games to make the NIT, much less the NCAA Tournament. If however, the Hogs continue to play as well as they did last night they can accomplish that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jry04

January 13, 2016, 10:00:18 am #55 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:16:04 am by jry04
Quote from: hoghappy on January 13, 2016, 09:03:28 am
A little criticism doesn't mean lack of support. I Haven't seen anyone in this thread who has said they have stopped pulling for this team. Some of you are too sensitive.
Where did anyone say it took place in this thread? It takes place every day we have a game in Arkansas. You are lying if you say you do not know someone who has told you they have tickets but didn't go and didn't sell them, or they didn't watch the game in favor of watching The Voice or something similar. People on this forum have posted after a game saying they did not even know we were playing until they saw the final score. It has happened all season with this team. I have co-workers I try to give my tickets to when something comes up. "You couldn't pay me to go watch them." Our fans acted like we would be lucky to win 10 games this season. It doesn't mean they wanted us to lose, but it isn't exactly supporting either.

What took place in this thread, and the 10000 other threads that certain posters post in, is constant criticism of Mike and recruiting. "Hogs scored 94 points!" "We would have scored 100 if it weren't for Mike not having a PF." Comments like that take place in every single thread that a few go in. Does the team deserve some criticism? Of course, but save it for the few threads who have been started with that in mind. Why must every positive thread be turned into what Mike should have done differently?

jry04

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 09:44:18 am
I disagree. Both of you are ignoring the fact that the Hogs non conference record will really hurt them come tournament selection time. IMHO the Hogs will have to win a HUGE number of conference games to make the NIT, much less the NCAA Tournament. If however, the Hogs continue to play as well as they did last night they can accomplish that.
12 wins in conference is a pretty big number. The Hogs will not be held out of the NIT with 19 regular season wins. Won't happen unless a large number of 1 bid conference regular season champs don't win their conference tournament. Hard to imagine a RPI in the top 60s and a SOS in the top 45 being held out of the NIT if the Hogs finish winning 13 of their last 19 games. None of our non-conference loses appear to be bad losses with the exception of Mercer (from the RPI standpoint), but Mercer has a good chance of winning their conference and making the NCAAT. Evansville looks like a pretty good win at this point with a 15-3 record and top 75 RPI.

Our out of conference schedule was 29 when we were entering conference play, and will go up when we play TT. We could have a top 25 OOC schedule, and half of it was played without Anton Beard.

elksnort

Quote from: azhog10 on January 12, 2016, 10:10:57 pm
Can we have a road win without these threads?
THIS ^^^^

We shot very well among other things and beat the heck out of a bad team at their place. Very happy with the hogs. But most, if not all of us, were/are always "behind the team".

Just trying to stay even keel. We shall see what we do in Baton Rouge.

hogsanity

Quote from: jry04 on January 13, 2016, 08:43:59 am
I think the OP asked the question because people clearly are not behind the team. Not being behind the team, and wanting them to lose are not necessarily the same thing. People who have tickets in Fayetteville are just being lazy and leaving them on their table at night instead of going to the game. They find it easier to stay home on a week night because "we suck and will probably lose." That is not getting behind the team.

People have not been using tickets since BWA opened. I went to close to a dozen games that 1st season for free because the guy across the hall from my office did not want to use his tickets for most midweek games. At least he did give them to someone, but if I had not been able to use them they would have just stayed in his drawer.

Clearly, some people are not behind THIS COACH, and that is very different from not being behind the team.

Look, I want MA to succeed because that means they are winning games. But, my definition of success is making the NCAAT just about every year, and making the sweet 16 once or twice in those appearances. In college basketball, that is success. Making the ncaat once in 5 years and being on the NIT BUBBLE sometimes is not success, and no one here would say it was if the coach's name was anything except Mike Anderson. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AirWarren

I'm behind them. But it is embarrassing to see Bud Walton the way it is. For hungry and passionate fans NWA claims to have, you would think that there would be more turnout at the home games.

The hometown crowd needs to quit being fair weather and get in that building to support their team.

code red

I am always going to be behind them.  They are playing really well.  I will be the first to say I am very surprised at the improvement the last 2 weeks.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

wavybone

Last game had attendance of around 16,000. Next game will likely be sold out. I think the majority of fans are behind this program, especially after the win last night. NIT is still a realistic possibility. But these next 5 games are critical.

hoglady

Man I swear every single thread seems to turn into an Anderson lovefest, hatefest or both.

What's done is done. Complaining about it isn't going to change a thing. Screwed the pooch in recruiting last spring - everyone gets that. But on the bright side Anderson has shown over the last 2 years that he can develop his players.
Portis, Qualls, Kingsley, Durham, Bell - all massive improvement while here. This team is a lot better than anyone thought they would be or could be.
I'm enjoying watching the improvement. Anderson is the coach - I'll support him until he's not the coach.
I bet there were some Missouri fans last night that were wishing Anderson was still on their side.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Not surprised by what has happened this season including the last 3 games against teams with a combined record of 24-23 and 2-8 in the SEC.  9-7 and heading to a winning record and the NIT.  18 reg season wins looks achievable and now that we have had a couple of weeks to see the SEC, every game left is winnable if the team shoots well.  This is what it is like to finally have multiple perimeter shooters which our program has been missing for many years.  In the current SEC, having a team with the capability to score points will put them in most every game.

As far as the crowds, this was predictable when the schedule came out.  It was an ok non conf schedule for RPI purposes.  It was a horrible non conf home schedule for brand purposes and attracting interest of anyone not a hardcore fan.  The crowds are starting to build as usual now that conference play has started.  Don't get so offended fans aren't showing up.  TV makes it easy not to along with the product of what college basketball is.  That isn't the program's fault.  We'll have big home crowds most of the rest of the way. 

I thought Mike's decision to go with the offensive group from the beginning last night to get off to a good offensive start was smart.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HotlantaHog

The games I have watched on TV the crowds have seemed small and quiet. Hope that changes some.

Letsroll1200

If we can get offensive production from Beard and Whitt off the bench this team will easily get to 10 wins. So many posters on this forum have been critical all year and not really watching the games.

This team is learning how to win and they play together. Last season it was Qualls and Portis!!!! This year this team is playing together and is better on the defensive side of the ball. They are passing well against the zone and getting easy shots at the basket.

I like the fact that in the last two games when Miss State and Mizzou made a run this team answered.

wavybone

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 13, 2016, 10:52:29 am
If we can get offensive production from Beard and Whitt off the bench this team will easily get to 10 wins. So many posters on this forum have been critical all year and not really watching the games.

This team is learning how to win and they play together. Last season it was Qualls and Portis!!!! This year this team is playing together and is better on the defensive side of the ball. They are passing well against the zone and getting easy shots at the basket.

I like the fact that in the last two games when Miss State and Mizzou made a run this team answered.

I agree with this. When we're getting production from Beard and Whitt, it makes that 2nd unit a lot stronger. Going to be interesting to see if we can sustain this level of play. Game on Saturday against LSU is going to be huge. I like our chances because CMA is a way better in-game coach than Johnny Jones but Simmons is gonna be really tough to stop. I'm guessing that Keaton's gonna take that match-up.

hawginbigd1

January 13, 2016, 11:07:56 am #67 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:40:02 am by hawginbigd1
Quote from: wavybone on January 13, 2016, 10:34:25 am
Last game had attendance of around 16,000. Next game will likely be sold out. I think the majority of fans are behind this program, especially after the win last night. NIT is still a realistic possibility. But these next 5 games are critical.
Actual attendance was 11,500 or so, but not bad considering weather and not the most exciting opponent.

I am behind this team and coach MA, I wont be going to more than one game as usual, living in Dallas. Unless they can play this way the rest of the season somehow it won't cure the fact that this past off-season was an abject failure in recruiting! Who knows how much this played into MM bolting for UK, which is what my worry was all along! I was upset with recruiting since the 2014 early period netted us only Whitt! Of course I called BP and Qualls gone last January, but I clearly had no idea what I was talking about!!!!! Guess what I am not the coach of the UofA or anywhere else in BB, but I knew this! Recruiting for this season is pretty good, but not complete and way too JUCO heavy! We basically have 4 JUCO's and one HS signee, not good for future roster balance at all!

The 9-7 record so far is about what I was expecting, did I think they would lose to Mercer, Nope! Did I think they would beat Vandy, Nope! So far those are the only games that have varied from my picks before the season. It is on this forum somewhere, it can be verified, so let's not have any over righteousness about the team just yet! The starters are pretty darned solid, especially offensively, with the exception of the 4, defense isn't going to win us many, like a typical MA team. The 2nd team besides Beard is very weak and/or inconsistent.

I love this team for its scrap and fight, and am 100% behind it, and have been impressed by the coaching job to this point. I will watch every game and praise them where warranted, and complain where warranted! I believe I am in the majority in this position, the next group are the CMA defender corps, and then the least minor group that is the CMA haters, who wont be happy until he makes an E8 or F4. That aint gonna happen this year, so we will have to live with that until which time that happens.

Actually I need to make a correction, I did pick win over Vandy, and thought we would be currently at 12-4, so 3 games behind where I thought ouch, I only have us picked to win 4 more including TT.

cableguy

This team reminds me of the once mid-major programs like Butler, VCU and Gonzaga that consistently made it to the round of 32 with great shooting, challenging every shot on defense and just playing smart and hard. We are missing another big man to make us a solid team, but on the other hand our guards understand that is our weakness and the guards help crash the boards, something that I was very frustrated with in our team last year. I don't see any players not on board with what CMA want to do. I said before, I believe we can finish in the top 4 of the SEC.     

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2016, 06:36:52 am
Put a decent 4 on this team and keep Babb,  and I believe this could have been a tournament team. So sad.
Ireally hope Babb does well at ISU. Otherwise you and a few others are going to look hella stupid for comments like this. No way anyone knows how Babb would have turned out with the limited amount of playing time he had. His best game may have been at SMU and we are seeing like with Jimmy Whitt, what playing in front of a home crowd does to you when you go out of state to play. We see the same thing when guys that are from here and weren't offered come back and play us in Arkansas. They typically have a good game.

Babb showed nothing else to get me excited. Hope he does well, seemed like a good kid. But if he doesn't i'm sure I will chuckle at your expense.

hoginator

This team has some growing up to do, but the future looks bright! I realize the competition last night has to be factored in, but when these guys are on fire they can compete with anyone. Plus, I'm always 100% behind the Hogs...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

azhog10

Quote from: elksnort on January 13, 2016, 10:15:21 am
THIS ^^^^

We shot very well among other things and beat the heck out of a bad team at their place. Very happy with the hogs. But most, if not all of us, were/are always "behind the team".

Just trying to stay even keel. We shall see what we do in Baton Rouge.
I just think it's funny bc winning isn't why these people don't like Mike. We could win 25 games in a season and there will still be the same few that have their "negativity" to spread through everyone. Those that understand what's happened, they don't have to be happy about it, but they understand and still support this team and actually enjoy to see games like this one. The one's who aren't behind the team probably came away a little upset we looked as good as we did. But that's life and this thread isn't going to change that.

azhog10

Quote from: hoginator on January 13, 2016, 11:52:31 am
This team has some growing up to do, but the future looks bright! I realize the competition last night has to be factored in, but when these guys are on fire they can compete with anyone. Plus, I'm always 100% behind the Hogs...
I get it, but this team beat Auburn by 15 at home. They aren't good, but what we did was impressive none the less.

bhogs05

We have looked good the last 3 games and we are shooting lights out..the next 4 games will determine if we can make the postseason.  Could very easily go 0-4 so lets not think we are a lock for any postseason just yet.  If we can manage 2-2 the next 4 games then I will be very happy. 

Hawg Red

How we beat Missouri last night was eye-opening. Missouri is surely a bad team, and they looked reaaaal bad last night, but the Hogs look very, very in-sync right now. Guys are shooting well and shooting with confidence. Everyone is playing unselfishly. I would never expect them to win in Baton Rouge, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we beat that hap-hazard ball club.

GuvHog

Quote from: jry04 on January 13, 2016, 10:09:33 am
12 wins in conference is a pretty big number. The Hogs will not be held out of the NIT with 19 regular season wins. Won't happen unless a large number of 1 bid conference regular season champs don't win their conference tournament. Hard to imagine a RPI in the top 60s and a SOS in the top 45 being held out of the NIT if the Hogs finish winning 13 of their last 19 games. None of our non-conference loses appear to be bad losses with the exception of Mercer (from the RPI standpoint), but Mercer has a good chance of winning their conference and making the NCAAT. Evansville looks like a pretty good win at this point with a 15-3 record and top 75 RPI.

Our out of conference schedule was 29 when we were entering conference play, and will go up when we play TT. We could have a top 25 OOC schedule, and half of it was played without Anton Beard.

If the Hogs non conference record was much better I might agree with you but it isn't. I still believe it will take 20 wins overall to make the NIT.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2016, 09:40:43 pm
This team continues to get better every time they step on the floor. People focus on what this team don't have instead of focusing on what they do have.

This team is coachable and are unselfish on both ends of the court. I think we have the right Anderson on the sidelines coaching this squad. Get behind this team because they are playing winning basketball.

No question about the right Anderson.  Did anyone hear the dialog between Kim A. and one of his players coming to the bench late in the game? It was clear on the SECN video that he is very timid and seems to not have the complete respect of his players.   I think he is way over his head at the level he's coaching...

For the first time since Mike has been here, I can see a plan in his offense.  I think having outside shooters and more than one in the game at a time finally gives him options to make good decisions. 

AND MK is probably the best inside defender Mike has had since he's been here as HC. 

MK plays smart, runs the court extremely well and is also an excellent scorer under the basket.  Very satisfying to see this!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 12:06:33 pm
If the Hogs non conference record was much better I might agree with you but it isn't. I still believe it will take 20 wins overall to make the NIT.
The thing you have to remember with the tournaments is that what you have done in your last 10 means as much as anything. If this team was able to win 11 or 12 more games including the conference tourney they would be in the NCAA! Don't think it will happen, but if it did the non-conference wouldn't matter!

Hoggish1

January 13, 2016, 12:15:18 pm #78 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:38:58 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: pigture perfect on January 12, 2016, 10:51:05 pm
This is the kind of team that I don't think I'll watch live. I'll check the scores and watch the replay. When this team is off, they are way off. When they play like they did tonight, they are fun.

This was an amazing statement ^.

How do you know when they won't be on and you miss out on the (fun)? 

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 13, 2016, 12:11:08 pm
The thing you have to remember with the tournaments is that what you have done in your last 10 means as much as anything. If this team was able to win 11 or 12 more games including the conference tourney they would be in the NCAA! Don't think it will happen, but if it did the non-conference wouldn't matter!

If they win 12 more games than would give them at least 14 sec wins, and 20 or 21 wins over all, yes that likely gets them in.

But, while everyone gets excited, dont forget, the team 2 seasons ago beat KY twice, at home and at Rupp, and still did not even make the NIT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoopS

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 13, 2016, 12:15:18 pm
This was an amazing statement ^.

How do you know when they won't be on and you miss out on the (fun)? 
honestly, I don't get that at all either. Guess some of us are just wired differently.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 13, 2016, 12:11:08 pm

The non conference record always matters.

HoopS

It really is more that some are not behind MA and like to voice it.

I remember back when Nutt was here and there were folks who absolutely loved the Hogs but despised him. Reality was some didn't want him to succeed because they felt he would then never leave. They wouldn't admit it where they knew they'd get attacked, but they enjoyed yucking it up and and nitpicking the team when we lost and just really hoped with each loss that it would push him  out. I remember it well. And I remember commenting that even though I didn't like him, I never would pull for the Hogs to lose.

I think the real question is: do you support the team under the leadership of MA and do you hope he succeeds.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on January 13, 2016, 02:16:05 pm

I remember back when Nutt was here and there were folks who absolutely loved the Hogs but despised him. Reality was some didn't want him to succeed because they felt he would then never leave. They wouldn't admit it where they knew they'd get attacked, but they enjoyed yucking it up and and nitpicking the team when we lost and just really hoped with each loss that it would push him  out. I remember it well. And I remember commenting that even though I didn't like him, I never would pull for the Hogs to lose.

I think the real question is: do you support the team under the leadership of MA and do you hope he succeeds.

I hope every team, at the University of Arkansas succeeds, regardless of who the coach is.

The issue some of us have had with people here is those who would have been crying for a firing if the team had lost at home to Mercer in year 5 if the coach was anyone other than Mike Anderson.

Mike Anderson is just a coach, and should be judge as such. If, lets say this season ends with no ncaat, 5 years in and a coach has 1 ncaat, that is either good enough or it is not. For many here thought it would not be good enough EXCEPT where MA is concerned, for some reason, they are cool with that type of record as long as Mike is walking the sidelines. 

GuvHog

Quote from: HoopS on January 13, 2016, 02:16:05 pm

You have asked a very good question there.

As for myself, I would be ecstatic if this team succeeds under Mike Anderson's leadership.

HoopS

You're not describing me. Nostalgia has zero to do with my current expectations or support level.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2016, 02:23:51 pm
I hope every team, at the University of Arkansas succeeds, regardless of who the coach is.

The issue some of us have had with people here is those who would have been crying for a firing if the team had lost at home to Mercer in year 5 if the coach was anyone other than Mike Anderson.

Mike Anderson is just a coach, and should be judge as such. If, lets say this season ends with no ncaat, 5 years in and a coach has 1 ncaat, that is either good enough or it is not. For many here thought it would not be good enough EXCEPT where MA is concerned, for some reason, they are cool with that type of record as long as Mike is walking the sidelines. 

Well said. I find it very ironic that many of these who are defending Mike for all it's worth in his 5th season were screaming for Pel's head in the middle of his second conference season at Arkansas.

HoopS

Chart the win total for MA.  That's why he deserves to stay. This year will be the first decline. If that becomes a trend then you betcha, fire him. Not until then. No matter his name.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoopS on January 13, 2016, 02:35:54 pm
Chart the win total for MA.  That's why he deserves to stay. This year will be the first decline. If that becomes a trend then you betcha, fire him. Not until then. No matter his name.

Oh I quite agree that Mike Anderson is here at least for the rest of this season and next season. Whether or not he's here beyond that will depend on how the Hogs finish this season and how they do next season IMHO. I'm cautiously optimistic about the rest of this season.

HoopS

Atlhogfan1

The best case scenario for the program is for Anderson to find a high level of success and sustain it and we part on happy terms someday - most likely his retirement.

I don't understand how anyone who is a Hog fan could or would wish ill will towards or not support a team or players unless a player or players did something extraordinarily wrong, poorly represented the program and university or obviously didn't give an effort(and this one is really hard IMO to say for sure).  I support these kids who chose to attend my alma mater when given the chance all the way down to the end of the schollies and walk ons. 

Hoping and believing aren't the same.  I think we have some who hope but don't necessarily believe.  Standards should be set and coaches should be evaluated on the job they are doing in relation to the potential of the program and not because of who they are (this is not directed to bask only).  This should go for all sports and coaches.  Congrats to the OP for continuing this instead of enjoying the teams success and some rare shooting performances for our program. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 02:34:03 pm
Well said. I find it very ironic that many of these who are defending Mike for all it's worth in his 5th season were screaming for Pel's head in the middle of his second conference season at Arkansas.
Pelphrey isn't a good example. Pel dropped dramatically from year 1 to year 2. Winning only 2 SEC games. In year three he performed better in the SEC but still only 14 wins total. Year 4 he improved some but same SEC record as the year before but OOC won a few more games. With no post season tournament in any year after his first one. Yes in year 5 things have not improved upon the 25 win season. But I don't care who we would have signed that we lost out on, none of those guys were going to replace Bobby Portis, and Ky Madden (Qualls left but we missed out on his replacement). Obviuosly Moses is doing his best to pick up for Bobby, but Thompson isn't where Moses was last year so we don't have that depth. I believe a couple other recruits we missed on would have helped us to a couple more wins currently. But we weren't going to be a top 25 teams losing what "we all knew" we were losing no matter what we brought in.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2016, 02:41:34 pm
Standards should be set and coaches should be evaluated on the job they are doing in relation to the potential of the program and not because of who they are (this is not directed to bask only).
And this is the million dollar question/dilemma. Many believe the "potential" for this program is what it was in the 90's. It is not. No matter who people want to blame it's really irrellevant at the current time.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 13, 2016, 02:49:43 pm
And this is the million dollar question/dilemma. Many believe the "potential" for this program is what it was in the 90's. It is not. No matter who people want to blame it's really irrellevant at the current time.

Maybe or maybe not.  Certainly the 90-96 run is rare for most any program.  But the 2000's shouldn't be the standard either as it has been underwhelming to a disaster mostly.  I know you are younger and what you have witnessed as a teen to adult has been the 2000's. 

It is the question that may have to be answered by the PTB someday.  I think the fear some have is that your view is going to be the prevailing view with a much lower standard based on the more recent history and because of who the coach is(and assistants in some fans' view). 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 13, 2016, 02:47:09 pm
Pelphrey isn't a good example. Pel dropped dramatically from year 1 to year 2. Winning only 2 SEC games. In year three he performed better in the SEC but still only 14 wins total. Year 4 he improved some but same SEC record as the year before but OOC won a few more games. With no post season tournament in any year after his first one. Yes in year 5 things have not improved upon the 25 win season. But I don't care who we would have signed that we lost out on, none of those guys were going to replace Bobby Portis, and Ky Madden (Qualls left but we missed out on his replacement). Obviuosly Moses is doing his best to pick up for Bobby, but Thompson isn't where Moses was last year so we don't have that depth. I believe a couple other recruits we missed on would have helped us to a couple more wins currently. But we weren't going to be a top 25 teams losing what "we all knew" we were losing no matter what we brought in.
I think you are wrong, look how much better overall the team has looked since Beard has been back, a real stud 4, or wingman would have made a huge difference IMO in our current record and going on into the season! We didn't get them so we have Kouassi, TT, Miles, and Watkins getting those minutes.

MikePiazza

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2016, 12:40:36 pm
If they win 12 more games than would give them at least 14 sec wins, and 20 or 21 wins over all, yes that likely gets them in.

But, while everyone gets excited, dont forget, the team 2 seasons ago beat KY twice, at home and at Rupp, and still did not even make the NIT.

That team did make NIT, beat Indiana State at home and lost to Cal in the second round.

And thanks to today's news, that team retroactively made the NCAAs because of Mizzou's vacating of their two wins against the Hogs.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2016, 02:58:42 pm
Maybe or maybe not.  Certainly the 90-96 run is rare for most any program.  But the 2000's shouldn't be the standard either as it has been underwhelming to a disaster mostly.  I know you are younger and what you have witnessed as a teen to adult has been the 2000's. 

It is the question that may have to be answered by the PTB someday.  I think the fear some have is that your view is going to be the prevailing view with a much lower standard based on the more recent history and because of who the coach is(and assistants in some fans' view). 

68 teams make the ncaat every year, is it really asking too much of a program to be in that group of 68 at least 7, if not 8, out of every 10 years? Once you get to the dance, a lot depends on luck of the draw, matchups, upsets, etc, so to expect sweet 16 or better every time you get there is absurd, but is it too much to expect to get there more years than not, and win a few games once you get there every now and then?

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2016, 02:58:42 pm

I witnessed the National Championship. The only thing that makes me more informed now is the internet and social media. I grew up watching the hogs, and following them religiously even as a pre-teen to teenager. I remember the mid night madnesses I went to the year after the NC Runner up season. The years that followed weren't great, but we were in the NCAAT most years than not. I quit following when I moved to Michigan and the first few Heath years. I couldn't watch on TV as the games weren't normally televised up there so I was left trying to follow on the internet. Then I moved back to Ark the same year Pel was hired. Thinking our potential is closer to what it was 20 years ago than it was what we were 10 years ago seems odd to me.

azhog10

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 13, 2016, 03:00:50 pm
I think you are wrong, look how much better overall the team has looked since Beard has been back, a real stud 4, or wingman would have made a huge difference IMO in our current record and going on into the season! We didn't get them so we have Kouassi, TT, Miles, and Watkins getting those minutes.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we were never going to be a tourney team. But no chance in hades this team was going to be better than last years team. Could their win total have been better? Maybe, would have to match the schedules up and see. But even with a legit "wing", which I've already said was the biggest mistake of this staff, I don't see us getting to 25 wins. Maybe 21 or 22. But not 25. Of course the SEC may be weaker this year than last, so again I would have to compare schedules to be very sure. But no matter the schedule, last years team was going to be very hard to replace the second BP left.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on January 13, 2016, 03:08:49 pm
I witnessed the National Championship. The only thing that makes me more informed now is the internet and social media. I grew up watching the hogs, and following them religiously even as a pre-teen to teenager. I remember the mid night madnesses I went to the year after the NC Runner up season. The years that followed weren't great, but we were in the NCAAT most years than not. I quit following when I moved to Michigan and the first few Heath years. I couldn't watch on TV as the games weren't normally televised up there so I was left trying to follow on the internet. Then I moved back to Ark the same year Pel was hired. Thinking our potential is closer to what it was 20 years ago than it was what we were 10 years ago seems odd to me.

I don't expect national tiles, but we should not be content to be sweating it out in the NIT bubble either.