Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will you get behind this team?

Started by Letsroll1200, January 12, 2016, 09:40:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Quote from: MikePiazza on January 13, 2016, 03:06:08 pm
That team did make NIT, beat Indiana State at home and lost to Cal in the second round.

And thanks to today's news, that team retroactively made the NCAAs because of Mizzou's vacating of their two wins against the Hogs.
Easy, facts aren't what's important to him.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2016, 03:12:08 pm
I don't expect national tiles, but we should not be content to be sweating it out in the NIT bubble either.
I agree if that's the norm. But in the last two years we haven't been on the NIT "bulbble". WE were on the NIT "bubble" in year two of CMA. In year three there was no doubt, if we were on the bubble it was the NCAAT bubble. Year 4 we made the tourney, and the round of 32 at that. This year we may be on the NIT bubble, may not make it. However one point does not make a trend. The trend that has been set is four years of consistently improving the program and winning basketball games. If there is a trend in the other direction then I am all for moving in a different direction.

MikePiazza

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2016, 03:12:08 pm
I don't expect national tiles, but we should not be content to be sweating it out in the NIT bubble either.

Under the circumstances, I will ACCEPT the NIT this year, but it's tourney or bust next year for Mike.

Anthony Grant got six years at Alabama, and didn't make any postseason in year five and made the NIT in year six and got fired. His highwater mark was also a second round NCAA. Granted, Grant wasn't an assistant under Alabama for 17 years under great success, but Alabama had been a proud program under Wimp Sanderson and Mark Gottfried and he got the axe.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HoopS

Also you have to remember and/or realize the importance of SOS and getting into the field of 68 and even the NIT. It wasn't the win total or really who we lost to that killed us a few years ago but the anchor of wins against SOS 300 type teams. That's why the league employed help with scheduling. Good teams getting passed over for teams that had worked the scheudling better.

GuvHog

Quote from: azhog10 on January 13, 2016, 02:49:43 pm
And this is the million dollar question/dilemma. Many believe the "potential" for this program is what it was in the 90's. It is not. No matter who people want to blame it's really irrellevant at the current time.

I agree this program doesn't have the National Title potential that the 93' team did but come on now, this program under Mike won 27 games last year and made it to the Big dance so the program does have the potential to make and win a few games in the NCAA tournament. No, they aren't going to achieve that every year but the potential is there.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

pigture perfect

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 13, 2016, 12:15:18 pm
This was an amazing statement ^.

How do you know when they won't be on and you miss out on the (fun)? 
Its fun if they win, if they lose, I'm glad I didn't have to see it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

azhog10

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 03:26:31 pm
I agree this program doesn't have the National Title potential that the 93' team did but come on now, this program under Mike won 27 games last year and made it to the Big dance so the program does have the potential to make and win a few games in the NCAA tournament. No, they aren't going to achieve that every year but the potential is there.
I don't disagree, and I think that's the issue at hand. Many expect the norm to be final four hopefuls, and in our worse years first round or second round exits. That's not the potential of this program currently. I "HOPE" in the years to come that CMA or whoemever is here starts to raise the "potential" of the program and eventually we get back to what we were. But to think that's the potential currently is naive.

simon the squealot

This team is fun to watch, is getting better, and deserves a large and raucous home crowd from here on out. They have enough talent to win their last 8 at BWA. Woo Pig.

Hogsolo

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2016, 09:40:43 pm
This team continues to get better every time they step on the floor. People focus on what this team don't have instead of focusing on what they do have.

This team is coachable and are unselfish on both ends of the court. I think we have the right Anderson on the sidelines coaching this squad. Get behind this team because they are playing winning basketball.

+1. 

bphi11ips

Been behind this team all year for one reason.  There are more basketball players on it than on any team I can think of in twenty years.  No Joe Johnsons or Ronnie Brewers or Bobby Portises, but in numbers, we can put three BASKETBALL PLAYERS on the floor at any given time.  Not just athletes, but players.  And that's fun to watch.  Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Cory Beck, Scotty Thurman were PLAYERS.  This team isn't in that league, but we have PLAYERS again.

Nolan Richardson's greatest mistake was not telling Frank Boyles to take this job and shove it, it was believing after 1995  that he could take great athletes and turn them into basketball players.  Mike Anderson, until now, seemed to believe the same thing, but with the recruiting class coming in, and the players he has on the floor now, it seems like he's finally decided he needs more guys who know how to play when they arrive on campus.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Randy Johnson

been behind this team from day one and will stay

Bowfishinghogfan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2016, 09:40:43 pm
This team continues to get better every time they step on the floor. People focus on what this team don't have instead of focusing on what they do have.

This team is coachable and are unselfish on both ends of the court. I think we have the right Anderson on the sidelines coaching this squad. Get behind this team because they are playing winning basketball.

Do they give out shirts or rings for that. That is a long way of saying you enjoy this team even if they don't make the dance. It's dance or bust .

The_Iceman

Quote from: MikePiazza on January 13, 2016, 03:20:45 pm
Under the circumstances, I will ACCEPT the NIT this year, but it's tourney or bust next year for Mike.

I would accept the NIT this year as well. But there is a long way to go before we get there.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2016, 08:57:55 am
I would accept the NIT this year as well. But there is a long way to go before we get there.

NIT this year would mean that we are seeing a post-season more years than not under Anderson by the way.  Not directed at you in particular but people should consider that really only programs who are in a position to "select" rather than "recruit" (Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, somehow Rick Barnes did it without being in that aforementioned category) avoid NIT-bound years in between very good years every once in awhile, and do I expect next year to be a very good one.

Yesterday was the 2-year anniversary of The Qualls Dunk.  This is wishful thinking but I am kind of hoping that this year for us, we are KY in that scenario.  Tough early losses teach lessons that pay off later.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 15, 2016, 09:17:45 am
NIT this year would mean that we are seeing a post-season more years than not under Anderson by the way.  Not directed at you in particular but people should consider that really only programs who are in a position to "select" rather than "recruit" (Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, somehow Rick Barnes did it without being in that aforementioned category) avoid NIT-bound years in between very good years every once in awhile, and do I expect next year to be a very good one.

Yesterday was the 2-year anniversary of The Qualls Dunk.  This is wishful thinking but I am kind of hoping that this year for us, we are KY in that scenario.  Tough early losses teach lessons that pay off later.
Sorry I grew up with 25+ years of Top 20 basketball at Arkansas, without any substantive advantages compared to now, I am not ever going to buy into the whole it is too hard to do at Arkansas. That is a big FAT cop out, for poor management and performance!

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 15, 2016, 10:25:04 am
Sorry I grew up with 25+ years of Top 20 basketball at Arkansas, without any substantive advantages compared to now, I am not ever going to buy into the whole it is too hard to do at Arkansas. That is a big FAT cop out, for poor management and performance!

If Mike went out and added a couple of stud recruiters to his staff that could go out and CONSISTENTLY recruit him talented players, we would be an annual NCAA/Top25 program again. I believe Mike's system allows players to develop and get the most out of their talent. His problem here has been getting a full roster of those players.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 15, 2016, 10:25:04 am

Not saying it's too hard, just saying bumps aren't always the end of the world.  Also just saying that we're not the only program that experiences drop offs even when the program is healthy, and being on top year in and out is the exception rather than the rule.  What I should have also added is that I think we are close to being one of those relevant year-in-and-year-out teams.  Even this year, having 3-4 players being among the best in the conference and even the country, I really think something has to give in our direction.  I also think that next year depends more on the development of our returning stars, and I don't necessarily expect to need these JUCO guys to carry our team out of the gate.

batmanfan

We have to get off this..."hard to recruit top talent unless you are Duke, Kentucky, Kansas..."

Yet A&M has two straight top recruiting classes in a row. Mississippi St. has a top 10 class this year. Florida St. rolls in top 10-15 classes yearly.
Alabama and Auburn landed 2 5 star players from out of state for the next season.
UNLV, Miss St. and Cal all beat out Kentucky for top prospects this past spring.
Programs who haven't been good in a long time or ever like Iowa St., Virginia, Oklahoma have been consistency good for awhile now due to consistently good recruiting.

It's to the point now that if you are good enough you can recruit to just about anywhere in the country nowadays.  Also I don't think anyone thinks we should be where the blue bloods are at, but there is no reason we shouldn't be where an Iowa St or Virginia are at.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2016, 10:29:54 am
If Mike went out and added a couple of stud recruiters to his staff that could go out and CONSISTENTLY recruit him talented players, we would be an annual NCAA/Top25 program again. I believe Mike's system allows players to develop and get the most out of their talent. His problem here has been getting a full roster of those players.
Spot On IMO!

The_Iceman

Quote from: batmanfan on January 15, 2016, 10:57:20 am
We have to get off this..."hard to recruit top talent unless you are Duke, Kentucky, Kansas..."

Yet A&M has two straight top recruiting classes in a row. Mississippi St. has a top 10 class this year. Florida St. rolls in top 10-15 classes yearly.
Alabama and Auburn landed 2 5 star players from out of state for the next season.
UNLV, Miss St. and Cal all beat out Kentucky for top prospects this past spring.
Programs who haven't been good in a long time or ever like Iowa St., Virginia, Oklahoma have been consistency good for awhile now due to consistently good recruiting.

It's to the point now that if you are good enough you can recruit to just about anywhere in the country nowadays.  Also I don't think anyone thinks we should be where the blue bloods are at, but there is no reason we shouldn't be where an Iowa St or Virginia are at.

Another spot on post. If those programs can land out of state talent, why can't we?

azhog10

Since 99-00 guess who is who.....

315 wins, 316 wins, and 290 wins.... May not seems like much over 15 years but the difference is close to an extra 2 wins a season. AS we have found out that's more than enough to make or break you in the committee's eyes. If we would have had an extra two wins, we make the tourney at least 2 maybe three more times than we did over the course of these 15 years.

I don't disagree that we should be able to recruit better. But there's a considerable difference over the last 15 years in the consistency of the three programs. We didn't have a Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy, and Tony Bennett has been at UVA for 8 seasons now.

wheelspigharvey

Not making excuses, just saying we are just now entering "consistency" phase.  If we are patient I think we will see that play out.  Also just saying we may not be "there" yet, so there's no reason to pout when we don't look like it yet either (on paper at least).  What I was REALLY talking about was the product on the court.  We're not to the point where we won't have road-bumps yet, and that's not special to us.  I'm saying the opposite of "poor us."  If we continue to put in the work we will break through.   

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on January 15, 2016, 12:02:43 pm
Since 99-00 guess who is who.....

315 wins, 316 wins, and 290 wins.... May not seems like much over 15 years but the difference is close to an extra 2 wins a season. AS we have found out that's more than enough to make or break you in the committee's eyes. If we would have had an extra two wins, we make the tourney at least 2 maybe three more times than we did over the course of these 15 years.

I don't disagree that we should be able to recruit better. But there's a considerable difference over the last 15 years in the consistency of the three programs. We didn't have a Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy, and Tony Bennett has been at UVA for 8 seasons now.

Your list of excuses is never ending.

Has Mike EVER done ANYTHING wrong in his life, according to you??  Or do you really see him as being perfect?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ArkieBrat

I will ALWAYS support this team and will ALWAYS support CMA.
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

azhog10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 15, 2016, 12:27:22 pm
Your list of excuses is never ending.

Has Mike EVER done ANYTHING wrong in his life, according to you??  Or do you really see him as being perfect?
I suppose you didn't read my statement saying Mike Should be able to recruit better, that means he isn't recruiting at the level that he should. I just would like to see a better comparison of a team similar to ours. I have mentioned quite a few things that I think Mike has to either do better, or find a way to fix it. I'm sorry you fail to comprehend that.

PS I spoke to the last 15 years, so good and bad, Mike wasn't here for all 15 of those.

HoGFromTheStart

2016 Standings
SEC
CONF   OVERALL   HOME   ROAD   PF   PA   STRK
Texas A&M   4-0   14-2   10-0   2-1   1272   1056   W7
Kentucky   3-1   13-3   10-0   1-2   1244   1076   W2
LSU   3-1   10-6   9-1   1-3   1332   1212   W1
Arkansas   3-1   9-7   8-1   1-3   1351   1214   W3
South Carolina   2-1   15-1   9-0   2-1   1253   1060   L-1
Ole Miss   2-2   12-4   7-0   4-2   1212   1141   L-1
Georgia   2-2   9-5   9-2   0-3   1007   929   W1
Florida   2-2   10-6   7-1   1-4   1160   1022   L-1
Alabama   1-2   10-5   6-1   2-2   997   980   W1
Missouri   1-2   8-8   8-2   0-3   1106   1103   L-1
Vanderbilt   1-3   9-7   7-2   0-4   1262   1048   W1
Tennessee   1-3   8-8   8-1   0-4   1274   1223   L-2
Auburn   1-3   7-8   5-2   1-5   1142   1165   L-3
Mississippi State   0-3   7-8   5-2   0-4   1143   1098   L-3

Not looking too bad to me!
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on January 15, 2016, 01:02:33 pm
I suppose you didn't read my statement saying Mike Should be able to recruit better, that means he isn't recruiting at the level that he should. I just would like to see a better comparison of a team similar to ours. I have mentioned quite a few things that I think Mike has to either do better, or find a way to fix it. I'm sorry you fail to comprehend that.

PS I spoke to the last 15 years, so good and bad, Mike wasn't here for all 15 of those.

After falling out of my chair and being revived by co-workers with smelling salts, I am ready to admit I didn't read those comments.

Still, the text I quoted with nothing more than a set of well thought out excuses.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

January 15, 2016, 01:45:08 pm #127 Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:57:59 pm by hogsanity
Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 15, 2016, 12:13:22 pm
Not making excuses, just saying we are just now entering "consistency" phase.  If we are patient I think we will see that play out. 

Season 5, he has had 5 years to recruit to his system. None of the players on the roster are guys he did not recruit and sign. Just how long is the fan base supposed to be patient? And to what end will be patience lead? Final 4? sweet 16? being thankful the hogs got in as a 6-10 seed? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 15, 2016, 01:29:45 pm
After falling out of my chair and being revived by co-workers with smelling salts, I am ready to admit I didn't read those comments.

Still, the text I quoted with nothing more than a set of well thought out excuses.
I fail to see my "excuses" in that quote. I stated mike needs to recruit better. My question/comment about wins over the last 15 years was not an excuse for anybody. I was just pointing out the difference between us, ISU, and UVA. Over that time we had 4 coaches who all have a hand in why our program isn't perceived the way it used to be. Mike will either get things rolling in recruiting, or he wont. If he doesn't he better hope like hell he is the best at player development and learns to channel his inner John Wooden.

I think it would be easier for him to find a groove in recruiting. Otherwise his time left is numbered. Plain and simple.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on January 15, 2016, 01:45:08 pm
Season 5, he has had 5 years to recruit to his system. None of the players on the roster are guys he did not recruit and sign. Just how long is the fan base supposed to be patient? And to what end will be patience lead? Final 4? sweet 16? being thankful the hogs got in as a 6-10 seed?

The season 5 crap.  Of course he recruited these guys, that's why they are his best-coached team he has had.  That's why we finally have shooters.  That's why they are playing well even while missing a few pieces.  And yes you can still be a good team that is missing pieces.

The patience will lead to multiple post-season appearances, which is where we are headed even this season.  If you say the NIT doesn't count, then you are missing that in the big picture success isn't just one season, but sustained successes over many years.

Atlhogfan1

NIT isn't success.  It might be an achievement for the current team.  But the NIT isn't success for Arkansas basketball.  I don't care what our recent history has been. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MikePiazza

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 15, 2016, 03:53:42 pm
NIT isn't success.  It might be an achievement for the current team.  But the NIT isn't success for Arkansas basketball.  I don't care what our recent history has been.

Absolutely. It will be one for this roster after going .500 in the nonconference, but next year 22 regular season wins needs to be the minimum. I think they will have the roster to do it, though.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on January 15, 2016, 01:45:08 pm

How do you know in 2016 when a player will leave early, and how do you plan for it? 

One and done has ruined college basketball for me.  I don't care how we do.  I just enjoy watching the Razorbacks play. 

edemire

This team is, on the whole, more skilled than many of its predecessors. The new practice facility's influence there shouldn't be discounted. Lots of extra hours being put in beyond what Hannahs/Kingsley/Bell/etc. would have done otherwise.

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 14, 2016, 09:32:26 pm
Been behind this team all year for one reason.  There are more basketball players on it than on any team I can think of in twenty years.  No Joe Johnsons or Ronnie Brewers or Bobby Portises, but in numbers, we can put three BASKETBALL PLAYERS on the floor at any given time.  Not just athletes, but players.  And that's fun to watch.  Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Cory Beck, Scotty Thurman were PLAYERS.  This team isn't in that league, but we have PLAYERS again.

Nolan Richardson's greatest mistake was not telling Frank Boyles to take this job and shove it, it was believing after 1995  that he could take great athletes and turn them into basketball players.  Mike Anderson, until now, seemed to believe the same thing, but with the recruiting class coming in, and the players he has on the floor now, it seems like he's finally decided he needs more guys who know how to play when they arrive on campus.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

intelligence

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 15, 2016, 03:19:53 pm
The season 5 crap.  Of course he recruited these guys, that's why they are his best-coached team he has had.  That's why we finally have shooters.  That's why they are playing well even while missing a few pieces.  And yes you can still be a good team that is missing pieces.

The patience will lead to multiple post-season appearances, which is where we are headed even this season.  If you say the NIT doesn't count, then you are missing that in the big picture success isn't just one season, but sustained successes over many years.
underrated post.

fineswine

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 15, 2016, 03:19:53 pm

Yeah...That's why Dusty H. has been here on scholarship straight from high school.  Ignored by Arkansas and off he went.  Where would this team be without him? Easily sub .500.  Kingsley, Bell, and Durham have been fabulous, but the reality is teams would only have to focus on Bell without Hannahs' presence and Bell would likely be what he has always been.  Anderson needs to substantially reevaluate his approach.  We need basketball players, not guys you hope become players.  IMO, that what Durham and Kingsley have done this year is nothing short or amazing.  Anderson does get credit for that.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: fineswine on January 16, 2016, 06:24:34 am
Yeah...That's why Dusty H. has been here on scholarship straight from high school.  Ignored by Arkansas and off he went.  Where would this team be without him? Easily sub .500.  Kingsley, Bell, and Durham have been fabulous, but the reality is teams would only have to focus on Bell without Hannahs' presence and Bell would likely be what he has always been.  Anderson needs to substantially reevaluate his approach.  We need basketball players, not guys you hope become players.  IMO, that what Durham and Kingsley have done this year is nothing short or amazing.  Anderson does get credit for that.

I feel like the Hannahs transfer speaks positively about the program.  You make it sound like he swooped in in October or something, but he has been working on his game with this staff for like a year and a half.  Some of his improvement goes to them.

Plus what does it say about a program when you more or less pass on a guy and he still comes and gives you the boost that Hannahs is giving us?  What does that say  about kids wanting to be hogs? To me it says Mike is making inroads on program perception and we are finally starting to see kids actively wanting to wear the red and white.

Edit:  So what I am saying goes back to my larger point which is that Mike is building a program where guys will want to come and play for him year in and out.  We effectively took two roster hits this off season whereas we were probably only really loaded with enough talent to sustain one of those.  Just because we weren't able to sustain both without missing a beat entirely doesn't mean we're not on the right track.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 14, 2016, 09:32:26 pm

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 15, 2016, 09:14:52 pm
How do you know in 2016 when a player will leave early, and how do you plan for it? 

One and done has ruined college basketball for me.  I don't care how we do.  I just enjoy watching the Razorbacks play. 

Both are dead on.
I don't expect the shot to need to be rebounded with this team.
We have players that aren't offensively challenged.
Thank Goodness.

One and Done has ruined college basketball.  Without reiterating my entire post from a different thread, I heard a sports radio show going through the Nielsen Ratings a few years back.  Dismal compared to the 70s - ~2001.  Season tix hadn't changed much but the butts in seats were way down also.

Loss of high end quality basketball.
Loss of consistency.
Loss of watching the higher end players grow.
Loss of watching a coach build.

EQUALS:
Loss of passion by the fans.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TheRazorback500

Yeah, I'm behind 'em. Love the unselfishness and offensive rhythm in the half-court, and team defense is improving. Woopig.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: fineswine on January 16, 2016, 06:24:34 am
These threads take the same circular pattern and I would say the same thing I thought five years ago.
Mike is not a great recruiter. Mike is not a great recruiter.
It always comes back to that. Nothing has changed.

To your other point, I will disagree. MA doesn't get credit for Durham and Kingsley. Too much credit is given to coaches for the so-called 'player development'. I'm on record with this many times. And this point is NOT a shot at MA, this is coaches in general. *Most* 'development is a natural process due to players becoming more comfortable, experienced, and through natural physical and mental development. Coaches aren't dictating most of that. It just happens. I was the same way when I played. I played much better as a senior than earlier. That was due to me being more comfortable and it had nothing to do with coach.
Durham was a good player in juco. He's following the typical juco pattern. Play ok as a junior, play better as a senior. You see that time and time again.
Kingsley was a Top 50 player. He's probably been Mike's best recruit so far, as he chose us over Louisville and Florida. But he's never gotten to play before. Now that he does, people say how 'improved' he is. No, he simply went from 10 minutes a game to 30. That's all. Again, he was a Top 50 recruit. To me, he hasn't improved a bit, he's playing as advertised when given a chance.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 16, 2016, 02:29:41 pm
These threads take the same circular pattern and I would say the same thing I thought five years ago.

To your other point, I will disagree. MA doesn't get credit for Durham and Kingsley. Too much credit is given to coaches for the so-called 'player development'. I'm on record with this many times. And this point is NOT a shot at MA, this is coaches in general. *Most* 'development is a natural process due to players becoming more comfortable, experienced, and through natural physical and mental development. Coaches aren't dictating most of that. It just happens. I was the same way when I played. I played much better as a senior than earlier. That was due to me being more comfortable and it had nothing to do with coach.
Durham was a good player in juco. He's following the typical juco pattern. Play ok as a junior, play better as a senior. You see that time and time again.
Kingsley was a Top 50 player. He's probably been Mike's best recruit so far, as he chose us over Louisville and Florida. But he's never gotten to play before. Now that he does, people say how 'improved' he is. No, he simply went from 10 minutes a game to 30. That's all. Again, he was a Top 50 recruit. To me, he hasn't improved a bit, he's playing as advertised when given a chance.

Kingsley has improved a ton since last year. If you can't see that then you are obviously not watching. Moses may have been a top 50 recruit but he was very raw coming out of high school because he hadn't played much basketball growing up.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 16, 2016, 02:29:41 pm

So to summarize, top 50 talent doesn't need a coach to help them improve.  Too bad Mike's incapable of bringing that kind of talent to the hill.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 16, 2016, 03:44:48 pm
Kingsley has improved a ton since last year. If you can't see that then you are obviously not watching. Moses may have been a top 50 recruit but he was very raw coming out of high school because he hadn't played much basketball growing up.
I see just fine.
Only if Moses was playing 30 minutes a game in his first and second year, as he is now, can you determine if he has improved that much. It's apples to oranges. I saw plenty of flashes of talent his first two years, if you'll check my post history, you'll find me saying I thought he should have been playing more. Maybe not 30 minutes, but more than 5-10 per game, for sure.

HognitiveDissonance

Anderson himself was quoted in the paper yesterday 'More so, Moses is getting to play more. '

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 16, 2016, 05:53:54 pm
So to summarize, top 50 talent doesn't need a coach to help them improve.  Too bad Mike's incapable of bringing that kind of talent to the hill.
I never said coaches never help players.
What I did say is that 'player development' is a tired old cliche' that's overused and overrated. Much of 'player development' happens through natural forces.
An example of a coach helping 'player development' would be like a guy shooting 50% from the foul line and a coach correcting a flow in his technique and getting him up to 70% by the time he graduated.
Show me a case where you feel a player improved because a coach 'developed' him and then give me specific examples of drills and teaching method where the coach directly influenced that development.
To use a football analogy, much credit is given to Dan Enos for Brandon Allen's fine play this year. Far be it from me to take credit away from Enos as I thought he was a heckuva play caller this year, but I'm saying one could make a strong argument that Brandon's fine play was as much due to being a fifth year senior and playing the best ball of his career as anything else. Natural forces. Experience. The game slows down.

HognitiveDissonance

bphi11ips

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 16, 2016, 07:12:28 am
Both are dead on.
I don't expect the shot to need to be rebounded with this team.
We have players that aren't offensively challenged.
Thank Goodness.

One and Done has ruined college basketball.  Without reiterating my entire post from a different thread, I heard a sports radio show going through the Nielsen Ratings a few years back.  Dismal compared to the 70s - ~2001.  Season tix hadn't changed much but the butts in seats were way down also.

Loss of high end quality basketball.
Loss of consistency.
Loss of watching the higher end players grow.
Loss of watching a coach build.

EQUALS:
Loss of passion by the fans.

Which is why there are two kinds of basketball fans - college and NBA.  And neither the twain shall meet.