Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UNLV job is now open

Started by husker71, January 11, 2016, 01:16:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

UNLV canned coach Rice and named Todd Simon interim coach.   This is a good job and I see lots of coaches taking a shot at it. 

The_Iceman

Hopefully this means we have a shot at Jaylen Fisher again.

Biggus Piggus

Does it help to fire a coach in midseason?
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 01:29:29 pm

I think it hurts in recruiting. If you wait until after the season, they are more likely to wait a few days to see who the new coach is. If you fire midseason, the players have more time to back out and shop around

Razorod

I believe someone posted in a different thread that Fisher did not sign, just committed to UNLV. So he does not have to seek a release and coaches can recruit him.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Danny J

Quote from: Razorod on January 11, 2016, 01:34:57 pm
I believe someone posted in a different thread that Fisher did not sign, just committed to UNLV. So he does not have to seek a release and coaches can recruit him.
Hopefully he didn't sign.

The_Iceman

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 01:29:29 pm

I personally think it a terrible idea

husker71

^^  I agree 100%   signed Bill Frieder  on my way to Arizona State

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2016, 01:42:56 pm
He could still ask for a release.
True and hopefully he would be granted one which most schools do.

Hawg Red

Fisher did NOT sign with UNLV. He doesn't need a release.

HawgAdvocate

Something to keep in mind - the staff told Whitt he would 'play PG,' then they told Barford that he would 'play PG.'

So if they go out now and tell Fisher that he can also 'play PG'...I don't know if Fisher will buy that. Have Memphis, LSU, Indiana, and/or Baylor signed a replacement recruit for Fisher, after initially not landing him?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2016, 03:37:55 pm
Something to keep in mind - the staff told Whitt he would 'play PG,' then they told Barford that he would 'play PG.'

So if they go out now and tell Fisher that he can also 'play PG'...I don't know if Fisher will buy that. Have Memphis, LSU, Indiana, and/or Baylor signed a replacement recruit for Fisher, after initially not landing him?

Fisher is the only one of those 3 that can't play anything but PG. My Boss's son played AAU ball (Nashville Celtics) with Barford and he said Barford doesn't care about playing point or wing. Asked as Malik was talked about as playing PG as well.

Question is does MA believe Barford and Fisher can coexist.

To answer your other question. Indiana, Memphis, And LSU have their PGs. Baylor is still missing one and Baylor is on Micah Thomas his AAU teammate

bkjbearcat

I remember when Frank Martin was about to leave Kansas State there were many jobs open and the ones people talked about the most was Miami and UNLV. While i didn't think he was going to Miami, UNLV seemed like a good spot for him. Traditional power, can still get the four and five star player. I wouldn't be shocked at all at the end of the year if Martin is named HC of UNLV. Just seems like a perfect mix. 
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

The_Iceman

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 11, 2016, 04:19:57 pm
I remember when Frank Martin was about to leave Kansas State there were many jobs open and the ones people talked about the most was Miami and UNLV. While i didn't think he was going to Miami, UNLV seemed like a good spot for him. Traditional power, can still get the four and five star player. I wouldn't be shocked at all at the end of the year if Martin is named HC of UNLV. Just seems like a perfect mix. 

Frank Martin has spent 3 seasons rebuilding the mess Darrin Horn left South Carolina in (prior 4 seasons):
2008–09    South Carolina    21–10
2009–10    South Carolina    15–16        
2010–11    South Carolina    14–16    
2011–12    South Carolina    10–21    

Now, Martin has South Carolina 15-0 and ranked in the Top 25. He has two 5-stars on his roster and has a 4-star committed already for next season. I'm not sure Martin is ready to leave SC yet. They have pretty good facilities there.

Paul

Martin is a very good coach. If Krueger would leave UNLV for OU, don't think Martin would go there.

Beaverfever

Has anyone seen how many basketball players Las Vegas is pumping out these days?  People will be fighting over that job this time around I bet.

jry04

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2016, 03:37:55 pm

Not sure about those schools, but he would have to be sold on those programs more than he was. Indiana, Baylor, and LSU were not even realistically in the mix. Just listed to add more drama. The last few months of his recruitment it was always between Arkansas, Memphis, and UNLV. Most assumed it was Memphis, but most close to Fisher said he included them out of respect for the home school, but he won't play for Pastner.

Hawg Red

So many questions with Fisher.

1. Is he going to wait around for the new coach at UNLV?

2. Does it even matter to him?

3. Is the staff interested in taking another guard? Probably so, but the word was that it was either Barford or Fisher before both made their selections. That was with Monk still in play, so does that make a difference or was Monk the sole exception?

4. Does Fisher see the backcourt depth that we do or does he see some of these guys play and not having any worries about getting minutes over them?

5. Does signing Fisher force a current player to transfer out?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 12, 2016, 12:39:26 am
Has anyone seen how many basketball players Las Vegas is pumping out these days?  People will be fighting over that job this time around I bet.

The #1 issue is simply this, the area around the campus and even the campus itself for the most part, is complete darn. Sure the program could be good, and there is some tradition, and good facilities... but living there will be the tough part for most.

IronMountainHog

I wouldn't coach under a female athletic director.

husker71

UNLV takes good care of their players.  Findlay Prep is a no campus school that basically just has basketball players.  That school attracts the best high school players and really gets the best out of Canada.  I think if they get the right coach they get right back into the top 10.  Unfortunately besides Kruger they seem to suck when it comes to picking coaches since the fall of Tark.