Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark/Mizzou

Started by HognitiveDissonance, January 09, 2016, 11:22:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

I'm 3-0 on SEC predictions thus far.

Unfortunately, I'm going the other way on the next game.

On paper, this is probably the best opportunity for a road win. But I remember how a MUCH better Arkansas team(compared to Mizzou) barely escaped with a 61-60 win at Mizzou last year, and it was lucky(guy missed two free throws at the end).

I just don't have a good feeling about this one. Just a hunch.

We'll probably drop this one and panic mode will set in. But, we'll probably get a road win nobody sees coming.

cardsNhogs

Should be a win. Will be a loss.

Danny J

Going to be capt obvious here but it will boil down to us hitting our outside shots and FT's

nwahogfan1

Winning on the road especially in the SEC against a even opponent many times boils down to being tough mentally, rebounding and defense because many times offense is so up and down.    If we keep Missouri in the 60's then we have a great chance. To do this we need to play hard smart defense and off the boards. 

PonderinHog

And a lot of times it comes down to making your free throws.

jry04

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 09, 2016, 11:22:25 pm
I'm 3-0 on SEC predictions thus far.

Unfortunately, I'm going the other way on the next game.

On paper, this is probably the best opportunity for a road win. But I remember how a MUCH better Arkansas team(compared to Mizzou) barely escaped with a 61-60 win at Mizzou last year, and it was lucky(guy missed two free throws at the end).

I just don't have a good feeling about this one. Just a hunch.

We'll probably drop this one and panic mode will set in. But, we'll probably get a road win nobody sees coming.
You may be right, and it wouldn't shock me, but what last year's team did is completely irrelevant to this year. We may be worse, but you seem to think Mizzou is better. I know they beat Auburn yesterday, but top to bottom, Mizzou's roster is the worst in the league. I personally think Kim Anderson is one of the worst coaches in the league, too.

With that said, I will not be surprised by a win or loss this season. We are capable of winning and losing each game left on our schedule.

TheRazorback500

If Durham brings what he's shown the last couple of games we have a chance. The threes that he was setting Hannahs and Bell up with against MSU had a lot better chance of going in than the ones you see after 15-20 passes around the perimeter and a jack-up at the buzzer. Also, he needs to watch his hands; the steals he got Saturday are probably fouls at Mizzou.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 10, 2016, 12:50:30 pm

Nobody told Cal............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

azhog10

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 10, 2016, 12:50:30 pm
And if we lose due to poor FT shooting you better guarantee it was Mikes fault.

HOGINTENNESSEE

We won't get a lot of chances at Road wins. I hope we can get this one

PORKULATOR

We're winning this one despite the fact that we get physically pounded on at their house and rarely shoot ft's.
We'll be fine. Won't shoot enough ft's to matter. Gonna hit our mid range shots and a dozen treys.
Woopigs
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 10, 2016, 02:46:03 pm
Maybe, Kingsley is missing because he is rushing the shot, he is a much better shooter than sub 50%!

cardsNhogs

Quote from: azhog10 on January 10, 2016, 02:46:03 pm
No but if we give up wide open dunks and open transition 3's because we are scrambling back on Defense it will be his fault.

JIHawg

First, you don't shoot free throws on the road.

Second, reverse psychology here, after watching Anderson teams for four years, this is setting up for a 20 point loss.  Just a gut feeling.

PonderinHog

Quote from: JIHawg on January 10, 2016, 09:04:06 pm
First, you don't shoot free throws on the road.

Second, reverse psychology here, after watching Anderson teams for four years, this is setting up for a 20 point loss.  Just a gut feeling.
Actually, you do and you damn sure better make a high percentage of them.  What you don't see on the road is the visiting team hitting 67% of their three pointers.

mizzouman

The Hogs by 10.  We are TURRIBLE.

wheelspigharvey

gmarv

Quote from: mizzouman on January 11, 2016, 08:04:31 am
The Hogs by 10.  We are TURRIBLE.
appreciate it, but I will take it by 1 also.

Biggus Piggus

1. Missouri fouls a lot, even at home. Plus for Arkansas, which also fouls a lot. Both teams are pretty good at the line. Just need to keep these numbers close.
2. Mizzou's best quality is 2-pt % defense - a minus for Arkansas. The Hogs might shoot well from outside, but they funnel shots inside much more than average.
3. Arkansas has a very high 3-pt %, while the Tigers' perimeter D is ordinary. No matter - Arkansas's road shooting isn't nearly as good.
4. There is no 4.
5. Missouri does not get many offensive rebounds - a plus for Arkansas, which is a decent defensive rebounding team.
6. The Hogs are horrible at perimeter defense, but Missouri does not shoot well.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Last game, Missouri started:

PF Kevin Puryear (6-7, 236 fr) - 14 pts, 11 reb
PF Russell Woods (6-8, 225 jr) - played 7 minutes
G Wes Clark (6-0, 180 jr) - 7 pts
G Terrance Phillips (5-11, 175 fr) - 2 pts, 4 ast
G K.J. Walton (6-3, 197 fr) - 10 pts, 3 stl

Bench:

G Namon Wright (6-5, 202 so) - 10 pts, 4 reb in 26 min
G Tramaine Isabell (6-0, 178 so) - 12 pts, 4 reb in 23 min
C Ryan Rosberg (6-10, 260 sr) - 4 pts, 2 reb in 21 min
G Cullen VanLeer (6-4, 200 fr) - modest stats in 16 min
F D'Angelo Allen (6-7, 216 so) - 7 pts, 4 reb in 12 min
F Jakeenan Gant (6-8, 212 so) - 5 pts, 3 reb, 2 blk in 12 min

Woods, Rosberg and Gant have all taken turns starting up front. The 15-game starters are Puryear, Clark and Phillips.

The Tigers have been mostly a good ballhandling team, which should help them against the Hogs. They don't really have physical guards, so one hopes Bell and Hannahs will be able to get a lot of good shots. The inside matchup of Puryear vs. Kingsley should be interesting.

Missouri has lost one home game this season -- 73-59 to NC State (which is now 10-6). At home, the Tigers have shot much better than they have on the road, with excellent offensive efficiency in every game except NC State (an outstanding inside defense + offensive rebounding team).

Strong offensive rebounding teams have given the Tigers real problems, and that might be the stat that decides this matchup. The Hogs can be good on the offensive glass, but when they emphasize the boards they usually let up on pressure.

Young teams can play over their heads at home -- but if Arkansas were to lose to Mizzou, it still would be a case of a freshman-dominated team beating an opponent that starts two seniors and three juniors.
[CENSORED]!

Big Boi

Mizzou had about 1000 people in attendance for the Auburn game. I know more will show up to boo CMA but overall the program is in real trouble. 

mizzouman

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2016, 10:49:54 am
Mizzou had about 1000 people in attendance for the Auburn game. I know more will show up to boo CMA but overall the program is in real trouble. 
Actually over 6,000....HAHA...we are bad and will continue to be bad for a while.

DeltaBoy

GO HAWGS BEAT THE ZOO!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mizzouman

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 11, 2016, 11:17:40 am
GO HAWGS BEAT THE ZOO!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Not sure what the other SEC road games are, but this should be the easiest for Arkansas.

Big Boi

Quote from: mizzouman on January 11, 2016, 11:04:38 am
Actually over 6,000....HAHA...we are bad and will continue to be bad for a while.
The stadium most hold 30k cause all i seen were black and gold chairs.lol When I attended ASU games as a child that were televised we were encouraged to move down fill in the empty seats. Maybe ASU can give Missouri the same advice.

PonderinHog

Quote from: mizzouman on January 11, 2016, 12:09:20 pm
Not sure what the other SEC road games are, but this should be the easiest for Arkansas.
No road games are easy for Arkansas.

mizzouman

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2016, 12:09:11 pm
The stadium most hold 30k cause all i seen were black and gold chairs.lol When I attended ASU games as a child that were televised we were encouraged to move down fill in the empty seats. Maybe ASU can give Missouri the same advice.
They have done that in the past especially during winter weather when people can't make it to the game.  People in the upper level were able to move down.

mizzouman

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 11, 2016, 12:15:13 pm
No road games are easy for Arkansas.
Not necessarily easy, but the easiest.  But it may be easy as well.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: mizzouman on January 11, 2016, 01:00:23 pm
Not necessarily easy, but the easiest.  But it may be easy as well.
It will be a tough game for Arkansas It doesn't matter if Missouri is bad. I'm not expecting a W really hope I'm wrong.

urkillnmesmalls

We haven't seen a Hog team that can shoot well consistently on the road since the Nolan days.  Until we show we can win by doing more than hitting a high percentage of 3's, I'm going to always be leery of any road game.  But man...if we can't beat Mizzou, we're going to have to improve quickly to prevent things from getting really ugly. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas's 3-pt shooting away from BWA, game by game:

43% (6-14), Georgia Tech
35% (6-17), Stanford
29% (5-17), Wake Forest
44% (7-16), Mercer
33% (5-15), Dayton
38% (6-16), Texas A&M

Inside scoring seems to be a more consistent problem on the road than outside shooting has been.
[CENSORED]!

blu

I'll be there. Not expecting a win.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

hawginbigd1

Quote from: blu on January 11, 2016, 01:25:45 pm
I'll be there. Not expecting a win.
We better win, there are not many W's to be found on the schedule the next 3 weeks, this is one you can find.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 01:25:41 pm

43% (6-14), Georgia Tech
35% (6-17), Stanford
29% (5-17), Wake Forest
44% (7-16), Mercer
33% (5-15), Dayton
38% (6-16), Texas A&M

Inside scoring seems to be a more consistent problem on the road than outside shooting has been.
We were 12 of 32 from inside the arc against MSU, Saturday.

intelligence

Missouri is probably gonna smoke us. I'm not buying into this team yet, and we tend to underform on the road.

Breems

We've played better teams close on the road, so I believe we can do it. As always, games we can or even should win are 50/50 on the road at best.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jry04

Quote from: intelligence on January 11, 2016, 05:15:08 pm
Missouri is probably gonna smoke us. I'm not buying into this team yet, and we tend to underform on the road.
Texas A&M is the only team who has blown us out on the road this season. Every team we have played outside of BWA this year is better than Mizzou, except for maybe Mercer. We may lose, but if Dayton, Wake, and GT can't "smoke us," then I do not see Mizzou doing it either on a late night weekday game.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jry04 on January 12, 2016, 08:38:39 am
Texas A&M is the only team who has blown us out on the road this season. Every team we have played outside of BWA this year is better than Mizzou, except for maybe Mercer. We may lose, but if Dayton, Wake, and GT can't "smoke us," then I do not see Mizzou doing it either on a late night weekday game.

Mercer is definitely better than Missouri is, because of the two senior guards.
[CENSORED]!

jry04

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2016, 10:18:22 am
Mercer is definitely better than Missouri is, because of the two senior guards.
I felt they were too, but I personally haven't seen enough of Mercer outside of our game to have an opinion on them.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2016, 01:25:41 pm

43% (6-14), Georgia Tech
35% (6-17), Stanford
29% (5-17), Wake Forest
44% (7-16), Mercer
33% (5-15), Dayton
38% (6-16), Texas A&M

I nailed that analysis.   :-[   Maybe it's just me, but it "feels" like we live and die by the three, and that's usually a tough recipe for winning on the road when they aren't dropping.  Obviously, the stats don't illustrate that. 

We were close against Wake and Dayton, so it would seem we're perfectly capable of beating Mizzou even if we don't play our absolute best.  Looking forward to watching tonight. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RacinRazorback

I bet the mizzury fans will be tough on CMA and Jimmy Whitt. Hopefully we can win this one, one of the few winnable games on the road! WPS!

Biggus Piggus

All losses so far this season...

Akron 2pt 16-29 (55%), 3pt 13-28 (46%)
Arkansas 2pt 18-43 (42%), 3pt 6-20 (30%)
Ahead 36-32 on twos, trailed 39-18 on threes

Georgia Tech 2pt 20-44 (46%), 3pt 8-16 (50%)
Arkansas 2pt 20-46 (44%), 3pt 6-14 (43%)
Tied 40-40 on twos, trailed 24-18 on threes

Stanford 2pt 19-37 (51%), 3pt 4-12 (33%)
Arkansas 2pt 17-49 (35%), 3pt 6-17 (35%)
Trailed 38-34 on twos, led 18-12 on threes

Wake Forest 2pt 22-38 (58%), 3pt 9-22 (41%)
Arkansas 2pt 27-52 (52%), 3pt 5-17 (29%)
Led 54-44 on twos, trailed 27-15 on threes

Mercer 2pt 14-41 (34%), 3pt 10-25 (40%)
Arkansas 2pt 17-47 (36%), 3pt 7-16 (44%)
Ahead 34-28 on twos, trailed 30-21 on threes

Dayton 2pt 18-32 (56%), 3pt 8-24 (33%)
Arkansas 2pt 23-46 (50%), 3pt 5-15 (33%)
Ahead 46-36 on twos, trailed 24-15 on threes

Texas A&M 2pt 21-39 (54%), 3pt 11-26 (42%)
Arkansas 2pt 18-43 (42%), 3pt 6-16 (38%)
Trailed 42-36 on twos, 33-18 on threes

Losses with poor inside shooting: 5
Losses with poor outside shooting: 2

Losses with poor inside defense: 5
Losses with poor outside defense: 5
[CENSORED]!

tigerinhogtown

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 12, 2016, 10:51:33 am
I bet the mizzury fans will be tough on CMA and Jimmy Whitt. Hopefully we can win this one, one of the few winnable games on the road! WPS!
how tough can 8000 people be?

Hogsolo

Quote from: Danny J on January 10, 2016, 10:10:02 am
Going to be capt obvious here but it will boil down to us hitting our outside shots and FT's

Thank you Captain Obvious. 😜

Atlhogfan1

Hogs 43.1% from 2 on the road
Hogs 49.3% at home - home SOS vs road/n court so far plays a role as the non conf mid/low major frontcourts aren't usually strong

Hogs 49.6% from 3 at home
Hogs 36.8% from 3 on the road
One of the biggest home vs road differences in college bask so far especially among the high majors

8/9+ is a good amount of 3pt makes.  The top 10-20% of teams in 3pt makes avg 8-9+ per game.  We are at about 6 in the losses vs giving up an avg of 9 makes.

Hogs 170th in 3pt makes per game at 6.9
Mizzou 292nd at 5.5

Hogs 229th in 2pt FG % 46.9%
Mizzou 189th at 48%

Hogs 148th in 2pt FG defense 47.6%
Mizzou 29th 42.6%

Hogs 293rd in 3pt FG defense 37.6%
Mizzou 192nd 34.7%

Hogs 237th in effective FG% defense
Mizzou 56th in effective FG% defense
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jry04

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on January 12, 2016, 01:25:18 pm
Did you mean 800? All things considered, 8000 would be a very impressive crowd.

Biggus Piggus

Final notes on this game:

Missouri has been beaten soundly by Georgia and has manhandled Auburn.

Georgia, like Mizzou, plays at a slow tempo. Georgia also is one of the best defensive teams in the country.

Auburn is one of the faster-tempo teams in the SEC (like Arkansas). Auburn also is the worst defensive team in the league, while also displaying only modest scoring ability.

I'm inclined to expect a close game, because Missouri scores much better at home than on the road -- very wide difference in stats -- and the Hogs are nothing special on defense. Plus Arkansas has a tendency to lose its offensive AND defensive efficiency on the road.

If Arkansas has improved, it should win this game.
[CENSORED]!

pigture perfect

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on January 12, 2016, 01:25:18 pm
Ask those who go and play in Cameron on Duke's campus.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

code red

Can we keep it under 10
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BigNasty