Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keep Fighting Keep Supporting

Started by HogsBalls, January 05, 2016, 10:27:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsBalls

Say what you will about Coach A and the team but these kids fight hard and play their butts off and Coach A wants to win just like anyone else does. Keep supporting this team. We may not make the tourney but if the kids are playing hard they deserve our support.

Dr. Starcs

PonderinHog

Sharky

Quote from: HogsBalls on January 05, 2016, 10:27:13 pm
Say what you will about Coach A and the team but these kids fight hard and play their butts off and Coach A wants to win just like anyone else does. Keep supporting this team. We may not make the tourney but if the kids are playing hard they deserve our support.

Good win, well earned, well played. I didn't think the TO was a mistake, either. Good way to ice the other team if they're going for a tre.

Letsroll1200

Thank you

rude1

Quote from: Sharky on January 05, 2016, 10:36:28 pm
Good win, well earned, well played. I didn't think the TO was a mistake, either. Good way to ice the other team if they're going for a tre.
Without the benefit of going back and looking at the play, I wondered if the timeout wasn't more that our guys were looking and celebrating after the Bell 3 rather than getting back on defense, and this was a way to prevent a run out.

hawginbigd1

Agreed I like the fight they have, good win tonight!

hobhog

Quote from: Sharky on January 05, 2016, 10:36:28 pm

It was a bad TO. But doesn't matter now.....

PonderinHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 05, 2016, 10:44:26 pm
Without the benefit of going back and looking at the play, I wondered if the timeout wasn't more that our guys were looking and celebrating after the Bell 3 rather than getting back on defense, and this was a way to prevent a run out.
With 2.2 seconds left I don't think they had time to do anything else.  The timeout allowed them to set the play up.

rude1

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2016, 10:52:42 pm
With 2.2 seconds left I don't think they had time to do anything else.  The timeout allowed them to set the play up.
If our guys are celebrating and  not getting back all it takes is a Vandy player to take off and they inbound with the home run throw for a layup. Again, I haven't went back and watched what our guys were doing when the shot went in, but it's the only reason I can think of to call a TO in that situation.

Dr. Starcs

Vandy had inbounded the ball maybe 10 feet into the backcourt when the timeout was granted. There was no "hail Mary" pass coming.

It was a mistake. The guys overcame it.

WorfHog

Vandy's guy stepped out on the reception, but the refs were garbage all night and didn't call it.

PonderinHog

Quote from: WorfHog on January 05, 2016, 11:04:21 pm
Vandy's guy stepped out on the reception, but the refs were garbage all night and didn't call it.
How about that no call earlier on the seven step travel!

azhog10

Quote from: hobhog on January 05, 2016, 10:46:49 pm
It was a bad TO. But doesn't matter now.....
I disagree. It's bad bc they ended up scoring. If they would have hit a three just inside half court and we lost some would have been whining for a TO. Saying what's the point of not having them if you don't use them..... There are pro's and con's to calling a timeout there and we defensively did not rotate over like we should. Moses could have easily been there to foul or contest and at least make him earn them at the line or take a charge. He opted to try and block the shot, and I won't even get into what Beard was doing. Beard should have stayed behind instead of giving him a free path to the basket. Beard has to step his game up, and defensively we have to play better helpside defense. I thought we did a heck of a job speeding Vandy up. Stallings may not win much at BWA, but he has in the past been able to slow our pace down. We forced them into a ton of turnovers last night and they never gave up even after giving up that big lead, and the shot at the end of regulation.

azhog10

Quote from: WorfHog on January 05, 2016, 11:04:21 pm
Do we have a snapshot on this? I thought he did as well but I never could get a good enough angle to see it on TV. I thought the refs were awful.

azhog10

Quote from: rude1 on January 05, 2016, 10:56:06 pm
If our guys are celebrating and  not getting back all it takes is a Vandy player to take off and they inbound with the home run throw for a layup. Again, I haven't went back and watched what our guys were doing when the shot went in, but it's the only reason I can think of to call a TO in that situation.
I don't know if CMA knew either. The ball went through the net and they were trying to inbound in a hurry. That's reason enough to call a timeout to make ABSOLUTELY sure we have everyone back and don't give up an open three and lose the game. Obviously the announcers didn't like it, however if someone was able to leak out and hit a three the same folks would have been saying we should have called a TO.

lefty08

Quote from: azhog10 on January 06, 2016, 07:04:22 am
I don't know if CMA knew either. The ball went through the net and they were trying to inbound in a hurry. That's reason enough to call a timeout to make ABSOLUTELY sure we have everyone back and don't give up an open three and lose the game. Obviously the announcers didn't like it, however if someone was able to leak out and hit a three the same folks would have been saying we should have called a TO.

Another thing not being talked about is that the Jones kid made a huge mistake trying to dunk that ball. It worked out well for them, but of all the guys on the floor for Vanderbilt, Jones is the guy you wanna force to hit a jumper for the tie
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

bighog2255

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2016, 10:52:42 pm

It was a terrible TO, and even the announcers picked up on it. Stallings had to be thrilled to have a free timeout to set up a play. Glad we were able to overcome the poor decision. It's one thing to call a timeout with 10 or so seconds, but not with 2.2. Bad.

bighog2255

Quote from: azhog10 on January 06, 2016, 07:02:10 am
Do we have a snapshot on this? I thought he did as well but I never could get a good enough angle to see it on TV. I thought the refs were awful.

He did NOT step out of bounds. He stepped on the red lettering that is near the sideline, so it did look like he stepped out. The refs are always "awful" per Hogville, but maybe it has to do with the team(s) you are watching

azhog10

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 06, 2016, 07:40:48 am
It was a terrible TO, and even the announcers picked up on it. Stallings had to be thrilled to have a free timeout to set up a play. Glad we were able to overcome the poor decision. It's one thing to call a timeout with 10 or so seconds, but not with 2.2. Bad.
Why is it one thing to call a TO with 10 seconds and the other team is getting the ball? IT's no different. Both have time to set up a play and both coaches called their timeout quickly after scoring.....

azhog10

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 06, 2016, 07:43:32 am
He did NOT step out of bounds. He stepped on the red lettering that is near the sideline, so it did look like he stepped out. The refs are always "awful" per Hogville, but maybe it has to do with the team(s) you are watching
I wasn't sure, I thought it was close. There were plenty of other calls that even the "announcers", you know the ones saying how awful it was to call that timeout, said were bad calls. They never seemed to say that on a call that went in our favor that shouldn't have.

mizzouman

About calling a TO with 2.2 up by 2.  It's BAD.  But, MA does it on instinct.  He has always done that.  If he has TO's left, he will use them ALL regardless of the situation, unless of course, he's up by like 20 with 5 seconds left.  But, at Mizzou, he would call a TO after a made basket with 5 seconds left down by 11 or call one up by 5 with 1 second left.  I don't think he even thinks about it, he just calls them.

bighog2255

Quote from: azhog10 on January 06, 2016, 08:01:11 am
Why is it one thing to call a TO with 10 seconds and the other team is getting the ball? IT's no different. Both have time to set up a play and both coaches called their timeout quickly after scoring.....

It's VERY different! Coaches can run an actual offensive set and possibly create a mismatch with 10 seconds left. You cant do that with 2.2. The only way Vandy gets a decent look is by drawing something up, something they could not have done without the benefit of a timeout. Vandy was going to make a desperation heave at the basket if MA hadn't called a TO. He gave them the opportunity to draw something up and Vandy executed it. It was a poor decision IMO.

gmarv

our guys maybe short on talent,experience or whatever but they are a fun bunch of kids to support.i never question if they are trying or not.

HawgHeadCheese

I watched the replay of the game after I got off work on Watch ESPN app and I don't think the time out was a bad decision. We had guys who weren't prepared for the next play.

PossumFan

I thought the TO was a bad decision at the time and I still think so, even though it worked out in the end. Very, very little chance Vandy would have been able to get off a decent shot in that chaotic situation with 2.2 seconds left. The folks defending the decision say that had MA not called the TO and Vandy hit a long 3 to win it, the rest of us would be whining that he didn't call the TO (not true in my case, I can assure you). Let's look at it from the other perspective: If the Hogs had lost in OT, how many folks defending the TO decision would be singing a different tune today?

hobhog

Quote from: mizzouman on January 06, 2016, 08:10:54 am
About calling a TO with 2.2 up by 2.  It's BAD.  But, MA does it on instinct.  He has always done that.  If he has TO's left, he will use them ALL regardless of the situation, unless of course, he's up by like 20 with 5 seconds left.  But, at Mizzou, he would call a TO after a made basket with 5 seconds left down by 11 or call one up by 5 with 1 second left.  I don't think he even thinks about it, he just calls them.

Doesn't make me feel any better. He should be considering all the scenarios beforehand when there was 12 seconds left and we are down by 1 with the ball.

azhog10

Quote from: hobhog on January 06, 2016, 01:04:49 pm
Doesn't make me feel any better. He should be considering all the scenarios beforehand when there was 12 seconds left when Stallings called a timeout and we are down by 1 with the ball.
FIFY

PonderinHog

The timeout was moot.  Giving up the 13 point lead concerns me much more.  If we make our short range shots and free throws, the game wouldn't have been close.

But I'll take the win.   ;)

nwahogfan1

Great, great HOME win over a SEC team with a 0-2 SEC record and somewhere round a .500 over all record.   Wow, what did I just say?   

the reason we are all celebrating this win over a very average Vandy team is because we have sunk so loooooooooow in our expectations for our BB program.  We are now acting like a bunch of soccer mom's high 5'ing our kids for playing so hard and then buying them a snow cone no matter the score.

Just pay the man $2 million for a job well done and lets go get a snow cone.  Pathetic. 

azhog10

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 06, 2016, 08:15:52 am
It's VERY different! Coaches can run an actual offensive set and possibly create a mismatch with 10 seconds left. You cant do that with 2.2. The only way Vandy gets a decent look is by drawing something up, something they could not have done without the benefit of a timeout. Vandy was going to make a desperation heave at the basket if MA hadn't called a TO. He gave them the opportunity to draw something up and Vandy executed it. It was a poor decision IMO.
Absolutely not true. If you think both scenarios aren't practiced then you are crazy. Every team in America has worked on what to do when you are down one possession with less than 3-4 seconds on the clock. Lastly, if I had to choose I would rather a coach have to draw something up in the last two seconds than let him draw something up with 10 seconds left. With 10 seconds left he can do more than just draw 4 guys running around and heaving a football pass the length of the floor hoping and praying it doesn't get tipped and they don't hit whatever miracly shot they are going to take. There's very little you can do to draw that up. Where as with 10 seconds you can draw up almost a number of things and get a very very good look out of a timeout.

MountieDawg

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 06, 2016, 09:09:57 am
I watched the replay of the game after I got off work on Watch ESPN app and I don't think the time out was a bad decision. We had guys who weren't prepared for the next play.

Are you talking about the guys not being prepared for the next play before the timeout or after the timeout???
SEC!

HogsBalls