Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Three from Newport to watch

Started by The Recruiting Guy, January 17, 2014, 07:54:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Like all three. Arkansas doesn't produce too many big-time LBers but I think Khairan has c chance to be that. Looking forward to seeing how his recruiting pans out.

Simmons isn't finished growing. He has a chance and Turner looks like a guy that's going to get numerous offers.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/jan/17/three-greyhounds-one-watch/

Dark Helmet Hog

Guinness Snout

Being from Newport that's awesome to hear.  I'm not sure of the LB and OL but I've kept and eye on Turner he's one of the best runningbacks from Newport since I was in school (class '96).  The coachis right about his legs.  The kids has some tree trunks on him.  He's a very tough runner with decent speed.  He usually doesn't go down on first contact.  His number this year couldve been better had he not been a little banged up and also splitting carries.  And from everything I've heard about him he's got a good head on his shoulders.

DeltaBoy

It would be great to get those 3 Hounds on the Hill.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

whippersnapper

Khairan is that 6'2 230 Linebacker we want at Arkansas. There is a topic on the board about the average height and weight of linebackers in the 2013 combine. And he is just about there and has 2 more off seasons before he even gets to a college weight program. He doesn't have good instincts, he has great instincts. I am not sure how stars for players work but Khairan is definitely a hidden gem. And I think his video is enough proof for that. And while watching Turners video watch #62 in Simmons.

brickhousehog

FYI, I think the OL Jesse Simmons is also Billy Ray Smith's cousin.  :razorback:

PorkRinds

Quote from: whippersnapper on January 17, 2014, 08:31:05 am
Khairan is that 6'2 230 Linebacker we want at Arkansas. There is a topic on the board about the average height and weight of linebackers in the 2013 combine. And he is just about there and has 2 more off seasons before he even gets to a college weight program. He doesn't have good instincts, he has great instincts. I am not sure how stars for players work but Khairan is definitely a hidden gem. And I think his video is enough proof for that. And while watching Turners video watch #62 in Simmons.

That kid is a stud LB. 

whippersnapper

I thought it was on his hudl but couldn't find it. Carl Turner has a full highlight video on YouTube from his freshman year when he was All State.

ur

Now if Newport would just renew the Batesville rivalry.

zane

Stafford def passes the eye test!
RIP LSUfan

ricepig

Quote from: ur on January 17, 2014, 09:06:55 am

Are at least have these kids transfer there??

whippersnapper

Coach Lunney was in Newport last Wednesday with no offers to any of the 3 guys. Just invited them to camp this June. I have a gut feeling they are going to give them the late offer like Marshall and Liddell.

pillowhog

online-with-swine

January 28, 2014, 08:36:48 am #13 Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:48:39 am by KnilesKankle
I don't think the coaches hold Arkansas high school football in very high regard.  And, to be honest, I don't blame them.  Nothing beats having the kids on campus and competing under the coaches eye to better guage their talent.

brickhousehog

Quote from: whippersnapper on January 28, 2014, 08:29:45 am
Coach Lunney was in Newport last Wednesday with no offers to any of the 3 guys. Just invited them to camp this June. I have a gut feeling they are going to give them the late offer like Marshall and Liddell.
Heard he only talked to Simmons and Turner on Wednesday.  Why not Stafford?

whippersnapper

I wasn't told Stafford wasn't there. Maybe couldn't get out of class.

GEO-HOG

They very likely could earn their offers from camp.  Or after another season of evaluation.  A lot of Arkansas kids and under radar guys get their offers at camp. 

Just FYI I'm not a fan of the last minute offers for our in state kids.  I think it'll back fire eventually

texas tush hog

Quote from: whippersnapper on January 28, 2014, 08:29:45 am

Don't necessarily trust Lunney's evaluations but if they are good enough, they will get offers soon enough.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 28, 2014, 10:36:31 am
Don't necessarily trust Lunney's evaluations but if they are good enough, they will get offers soon enough.

And why wouldn't you trust his evals?

PennHOG

It's sad that it took me reading 3/4s of the way through this thread to finally realize that this is talking about Arkansas and not Rhode Island.  Now I'm going to have to Google it and see where it is.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

PonderinHog

Quote from: PennHOG on January 28, 2014, 10:42:19 am
It's sad that it took me reading 3/4s of the way through this thread to finally realize that this is talking about Arkansas and not Rhode Island.  Now I'm going to have to Google it and see where it is.
It's in Rhode Island.

or

Take HWY 67 North from Little Rock about 90 miles.

PennHOG

I was also considering that he could have meant Newport News, VA as well. 

But, alas,  I see on Google maps that there is indeed a Newport, Arkansas. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: brickhousehog on January 17, 2014, 08:42:58 am
FYI, I think the OL Jesse Simmons is also Billy Ray Smith's cousin.  :razorback:

Billy Ray ended my Uncle's football career. Odell averaged 15 yards every time he touched the ball when he played for Batesville. But one missed block and Billy Ray got him hard and low, destroyed his knee and the rest is history.

Billy Ray was a beast and an Arkansas legacy.
This is my non-signature signature.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 17, 2014, 07:54:48 am
Like all three. Arkansas doesn't produce too many big-time LBers but I think Khairan has c chance to be that. Looking forward to seeing how his recruiting pans out.

Simmons isn't finished growing. He has a chance and Turner looks like a guy that's going to get numerous offers.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/jan/17/three-greyhounds-one-watch/
RD, don't know if you can comment but my gut feel on Thomas is Arkansas , I know he wants to wait until signing day- is it ESPN has a deal on this or is it something ST wants?  I think S Thomas already knows where he's going?
go hogs go !

pigture perfect

Quote from: brickhousehog on January 17, 2014, 08:42:58 am
Isnt he also related to Bo Lacy?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: hawg IQ on January 28, 2014, 11:03:51 am
RD, don't know if you can comment but my gut feel on Thomas is Arkansas , I know he wants to wait until signing day- is it ESPN has a deal on this or is it something ST wants?  I think S Thomas already knows where he's going?

I really do believe Arkansas has an excellent shot. 

whippersnapper

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2014, 10:37:58 am
And why wouldn't you trust his evals?
With Stafford what I have heard is that they don't need anymore film on him. They have their positives and negatives about him. But basically they are going to wait and see his 40 time and how many times he can bench press "X" amount of weight. And to the offering of late with our "gems". I think someone whether its a booster or some one at the uofa with power has convinced CBB that all Arkansas kids will pick the hogs no matter when the offer. So if our boys are not no 4 stars or more they better wait till next Christmas to get the offer.

ricepig

Quote from: whippersnapper on January 28, 2014, 01:31:54 pm
With Stafford what I have heard is that they don't need anymore film on him. They have their positives and negatives about him. But basically they are going to wait and see his 40 time and how many times he can bench press "X" amount of weight. And to the offering of late with our "gems". I think someone whether its a booster or some one at the uofa with power has convinced CBB that all Arkansas kids will pick the hogs no matter when the offer. So if our boys are not no 4 stars or more they better wait till next Christmas to get the offer.

Well, they forgot to tell them on Hall and Kraus to wait until Christmas. I think the no-brainer's will get offered when they see them. The kids the offered last year for 2015 and 2016, the "not sure", yeah, they won't be offered until late as they are awaiting to hear from out of state kids they rate higher.

WADHOG

Carl Turner has the biggest upside of the three, he needs to work hard and keep his weight in check and the sky is the limit for him.

WADHOG

Quote from: ur on January 17, 2014, 09:06:55 am
It was the choice of coach Poole, who bolted to Searcy, to discontinue our great rivalry. 

1highhog

Man, I wish all of our a Recruiting for this year was already over, in fact, I wish we had a few over signed just in case as always there's some who decide at the last minute to go elsewhere.  But I know it goes both ways on that, but I'm ready for this to be over, to where we can go about our bidness until spring ball and for now just bet on the ponies and get ready for baseball.

pigture perfect

I went to Jr. High in Batesville and remember the rivalry well. Newport killed us for years. I doubt Batesville would have a problem renewing the games.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

prisonhog

I am going to see Khairon play basketball tonite. I will give an update later.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

BatesvilleHOG

I am very good family friend with one of newport's coaches and he told me to watch out for these three and a few more at the beginning of the season and boy did he hit a hole in one with that one. Ive always been impressed with Turner but he gained a little too much bad weight this year and he needs to stop that and turn it in to muscle or he'll be playing FB not tail back.

whippersnapper

I think you're right about turner but running teams always need a good fullback. Kiero Small kind.

prisonhog

Quote from: WADHOG on January 28, 2014, 02:01:07 pm
Carl Turner has the biggest upside of the three, he needs to work hard and keep his weight in check and the sky is the limit for him.

I think Stafford has more upside. Saw him play basketball tonite. Scored in double figures and hit the boards hard. He is a great athlete, a good kid with good grades. He is going to make someone a great MLB.

WADHOG

Quote from: prisonhog on January 28, 2014, 09:28:00 pm
I think Stafford has more upside. Saw him play basketball tonite. Scored in double figures and hit the boards hard. He is a great athlete, a good kid with good grades. He is going to make someone a great MLB.
I think in the end Stafford ends up playing d2 and Carl has the measurables and strength to play big boy ball.  That's my opinion anyway.  I think Turner could draw a Hog offer as early as next year.

WADHOG

Quote from: Guinness Snout on January 17, 2014, 08:05:58 am
Being from Newport that's awesome to hear.  I'm not sure of the LB and OL but I've kept and eye on Turner he's one of the best runningbacks from Newport since I was in school (class '96).  The coachis right about his legs.  The kids has some tree trunks on him.  He's a very tough runner with decent speed.  He usually doesn't go down on first contact.  His number this year couldve been better had he not been a little banged up and also splitting carries.  And from everything I've heard about him he's got a good head on his shoulders.
He has terrific speed for his size.  He's the type of kid that gets faster when he puts on the pads.  Barring a character/scholastic meltdown, this kid will play SEC football.

ricepig

Quote from: WADHOG on January 28, 2014, 09:34:10 pm
I think in the end Stafford ends up playing d2 and Carl has the measurables and strength to play big boy ball.  That's my opinion anyway.  I think Turner could draw a Hog offer as early as next year.

Be something if they'd have 2 offers out to NEA rb's for 2016.

prisonhog

Quote from: WADHOG on January 28, 2014, 10:04:25 pm
He has terrific speed for his size.  He's the type of kid that gets faster when he puts on the pads.  Barring a character/scholastic meltdown, this kid will play SEC football.

I think Carl has a chance to be great. Very physical runner. Not great top end speed but gets there very quickly. Great vision. I think the foot injury and having to play more defense hurt his offensive production. I think Khairon is better than D2. He is going to surprise some folks.

Fatbackhawgballz

I agree with u Wad. Turner if he can get healthy and dominate like he did as a freshman then he will definetly get an offer. Not sure on Stafford he has nice size but there have been better lbs from Newport that didn't even get looked at. And Simmons though he is a good lineman I just don't see him getting an offer from the Hogs because of the depth that we have built the last couple of years. Especially if we get Mike and Ragnow.